Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wreck of USS Grayback Found

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Wreck of USS Grayback Found Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wreck of USS Grayback Found - 11/11/2019 3:38:24 AM   
elxaime

Poignant but amazing as well, after so long.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/navy-submarine-missing-for-75-years-is-found-off-okinawa/ar-BBWyxCp?ocid=spartandhp
Post #: 1
RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found - 11/11/2019 5:55:04 AM   
Major Shane

An honorable story for Veterans Day. Thanks for sharing.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 2
RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found - 11/11/2019 10:44:22 AM   
fcooke

I am astounded as to what these underwater searchers are finding. Seems almost like a wreck a week (and this is a different team, not the Paul Allen one).

So an ASW Kate got her? Seemingly from a carrier? Does anyone have links to more details? I know USN subs got very aggressive as the war went on but presumably being on the surface during daylight 100 miles from Okinawa would require a pair of big brass ones.

Remembrances this day (and every day) to all who served and those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

(in reply to Major Shane)
Post #: 3
RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found - 11/11/2019 11:57:10 AM   
GI Jive

Thanks for posting this. I agree it is fitting to remember the 80 who were lost. This is also a reminder that new insights into historical events are waiting to be discovered.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 4
RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found - 11/11/2019 2:08:30 PM   
elxaime

quote:

ORIGINAL: GI Jive

Thanks for posting this. I agree it is fitting to remember the 80 who were lost. This is also a reminder that new insights into historical events are waiting to be discovered.

Yes, it struck me the most that this was the result of further research by a Japanese fellow, who was able to see the official war records had been mistranslated.

< Message edited by elxaime -- 11/11/2019 2:11:06 PM >

(in reply to GI Jive)
Post #: 5
RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found - 11/11/2019 2:41:06 PM   
spence

quote:

I know USN subs got very aggressive as the war went on but presumably being on the surface during daylight 100 miles from Okinawa would require a pair of big brass ones.

Things like air search radar break. The ship was not a real submarine after all; only a surface ship with the ability to submerge for a while. And unlike today, when the ET fixes the radar by changing out a circuit board, figuring out which vacuum tube or connection is at fault could take a bunch of time. So you have lookouts. Maybe the plane had radar that was working and was able to appear out of a low overcast.

The pilot's AAR would be the place to find out how the attack was made since one can only speculate about the Grayback's situation at the moment of the attack (such details would be in a US AAR - I imagine a Japanese AAR would be similar)

< Message edited by spence -- 11/11/2019 2:51:14 PM >

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Wreck of USS Grayback Found Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI