Wreck of USS Grayback Found (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

elxaime -> Wreck of USS Grayback Found (11/11/2019 3:38:24 AM)

Poignant but amazing as well, after so long.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/navy-submarine-missing-for-75-years-is-found-off-okinawa/ar-BBWyxCp?ocid=spartandhp

Major Shane -> RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found (11/11/2019 5:55:04 AM)

An honorable story for Veterans Day. Thanks for sharing.

fcooke -> RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found (11/11/2019 10:44:22 AM)

I am astounded as to what these underwater searchers are finding. Seems almost like a wreck a week (and this is a different team, not the Paul Allen one).

So an ASW Kate got her? Seemingly from a carrier? Does anyone have links to more details? I know USN subs got very aggressive as the war went on but presumably being on the surface during daylight 100 miles from Okinawa would require a pair of big brass ones.

Remembrances this day (and every day) to all who served and those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

GI Jive -> RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found (11/11/2019 11:57:10 AM)

Thanks for posting this. I agree it is fitting to remember the 80 who were lost. This is also a reminder that new insights into historical events are waiting to be discovered.

elxaime -> RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found (11/11/2019 2:08:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GI Jive

Thanks for posting this. I agree it is fitting to remember the 80 who were lost. This is also a reminder that new insights into historical events are waiting to be discovered.

Yes, it struck me the most that this was the result of further research by a Japanese fellow, who was able to see the official war records had been mistranslated.

spence -> RE: Wreck of USS Grayback Found (11/11/2019 2:41:06 PM)

quote:

I know USN subs got very aggressive as the war went on but presumably being on the surface during daylight 100 miles from Okinawa would require a pair of big brass ones.

Things like air search radar break. The ship was not a real submarine after all; only a surface ship with the ability to submerge for a while. And unlike today, when the ET fixes the radar by changing out a circuit board, figuring out which vacuum tube or connection is at fault could take a bunch of time. So you have lookouts. Maybe the plane had radar that was working and was able to appear out of a low overcast.

The pilot's AAR would be the place to find out how the attack was made since one can only speculate about the Grayback's situation at the moment of the attack (such details would be in a US AAR - I imagine a Japanese AAR would be similar)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI