Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/5/2019 10:00:06 PM   
demyansk

I was watching Black Sabbath from 1975 on Don Kirshner rock show

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pX2aOie0Fys

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3301
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/6/2019 6:47:48 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Strongly recommend the new BBC Scotland black (very black) comedy Guilt - think its also being shown on BB2? Anyway its on I-player if you have access to that.

Oooo… love me a bit black comedy. Will look out for this.

Best wishes,
Steve

if you've ever had the misfortune to have to deal with the Edinburgh legal establishment then you'll find one of the central characters all too familiar.

Its up to episode 2, there are only 4 and its fair to say everyone is lieing to pretty much everyone else.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3302
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/6/2019 9:03:23 AM   
kresper

I started watching Game of thrones again))

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3303
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/6/2019 6:48:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Strongly recommend the new BBC Scotland black (very black) comedy Guilt - think its also being shown on BB2? Anyway its on I-player if you have access to that.

Best wishes,
Steve

if you've ever had the misfortune to have to deal with the Edinburgh legal establishment then you'll find one of the central characters all too familiar.

Its up to episode 2, there are only 4 and its fair to say everyone is lieing to pretty much everyone else.
warspite1

I've just watched the first episode and..... not really sure what to make of it.... but things have just ramped up a notch with the neighbour.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3304
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/6/2019 8:08:45 PM   
RFalvo69

After an exchange of posts on this very forum, I'm re-watching "Blade Runner 2049".

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3305
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 4:30:40 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

I've just watched the first episode and..... not really sure what to make of it.... but things have just ramped up a notch with the neighbour.....

warspite1

Right so I've got to the end of episode 2 and I see what you mean about everyone lying to everyone else....

Certainly looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3306
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 5:35:09 AM   
AbwehrX

The Battle of Passchendaele - 100th Anniversary of The Great War Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBULkD_FEnw

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3307
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 12:41:15 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Well The Dublin Murders came to an end tonight and I have to say I found that thoroughly enjoyable, Sarah Greene was a delight to watch, Killian Scott is a fine actor, Conleth Hill (Lord Varys) was good value, but the surprise was at the end and a very, very fine performance from the baddie (don't worry no spoilers here )

Thanks for not revealing any spoilers and thanks again for recommending this series. I have watched the five episodes so far, will watch the sixth tomorrow. I have been enjoying the series hugely.

Best wishes,
Steve

Episode 6 took us into fantasy land and it has soured my experience with this series. Will watch the remaining two episodes but they will need to salvage the series for me because, as it stands, it is seriously flawed thanks to episode 6.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3308
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 4:32:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well The Dublin Murders came to an end tonight and I have to say I found that thoroughly enjoyable, Sarah Greene was a delight to watch, Killian Scott is a fine actor, Conleth Hill (Lord Varys) was good value, but the surprise was at the end and a very, very fine performance from the baddie (don't worry no spoilers here )

Thanks for not revealing any spoilers and thanks again for recommending this series. I have watched the five episodes so far, will watch the sixth tomorrow. I have been enjoying the series hugely.

Best wishes,
Steve

Episode 6 took us into fantasy land and it has soured my experience with this series. Will watch the remaining two episodes but they will need to salvage the series for me because, as it stands, it is seriously flawed thanks to episode 6.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Mmmm I think you are coming at this from the wrong angle. You need to take a more cerebral approach here. Allow me to explain.

Sarah Greene. I would.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3309
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 4:33:47 PM   
RFalvo69

Anyone plans to see "Midway" this week-end?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3310
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 4:41:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Mmmm I think you are coming at this from the wrong angle. You need to take a more cerebral approach here. Allow me to explain.

Sarah Greene. I would.

warspite1

In all seriousness I think episodes 7 and 8 saved the show overall. I certainly think one element of this story was stretching credibility - but it stayed just about on course and more importantly it wasn't the main story plot. I thought that was well done .

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3311
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 4:48:44 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Sarah Greene. I would.

You make a good point. However, I like my dark and gritty murder mysteries to be believable and consistent... not to degenerate into farce over the course of 57 minutes.

Up to episode 5 would rate the series so far 9.5/10.

Up to episode 6 would rate the series so far 7.5/10

Up to episode 6 without the Sarah Greene effect 6.5/10

I really hope episodes 7 and 8 recover some that lost ground.

Episode 6 really disappointed me.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3312
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 5:00:21 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Sarah Greene. I would.

You make a good point. However, I like my dark and gritty murder mysteries to be believable and consistent... not to degenerate into farce over the course of 57 minutes.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I think (and earnestly hope) it does. But if, as you watch 7 and even 8, you find that 6 is still gnawing away at you like a rat at Castle Harrenhal, then just console yourself with the thought that there will be a scene with Ms Greene in a few minutes

Attachment (1)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3313
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/7/2019 6:09:38 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Yep. (Regardless of how good it is, I need a popcorn fix).

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 11/7/2019 6:11:55 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3314
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/8/2019 5:18:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Just watched episode 3 and things continue to ramp up... hopefully not an accurate depiction of the Edinburgh legal establishment

You said only 4 episodes so with just the 1 left its not at all clear how this is going to end for each of the parties but there are too many twists and turns here for everything to be wrapped up in 1 hour. So I am guessing a second series?

What is clear is that Jake, Angie and (and maybe Claire and Kenny) are the characters to be rooting for here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/8/2019 5:32:53 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3315
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/8/2019 8:08:22 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Just watched episode 3 and things continue to ramp up... hopefully not an accurate depiction of the Edinburgh legal establishment

You said only 4 episodes so with just the 1 left its not at all clear how this is going to end for each of the parties but there are too many twists and turns here for everything to be wrapped up in 1 hour. So I am guessing a second series?

What is clear is that Jake, Angie and (and maybe Claire and Kenny) are the characters to be rooting for here.

actually 'Max' is all too easily recognisable, as is the plot device of Scottish Limited Partnerships (SLPs) as the tool of choice for money laundering - enthusiastically enabled by that very legal establishment. It took 5 years of campaigning to get the UK Parliament to close it off (while it was based in a concept of Scots Law the legislation to close it down was reserved so it couldn't be done by the Scottish Parliament)

but yes, I'm a bit unsure how they intend to pull all this together

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3316
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/8/2019 3:23:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Yep. (Regardless of how good it is, I need a popcorn fix).

Well? And?....

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3317
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/9/2019 5:35:47 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Sarah Greene. I would.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I think (and earnestly hope) it does. But if, as you watch 7 and even 8, you find that 6 is still gnawing away at you like a rat at Castle Harrenhal, then just console yourself with the thought that there will be a scene with Ms Greene in a few minutes

Ok...

Just finished episode 8 and, thankfully, the last two episodes did redeem the travesty that was episode 6.

Overall, very much enjoyed the series and would give it 9/10 on the shunwickometer. I know Cassie admitted that they shouldn't have gone into that house and blamed it on her and her handler being out of control. But, honestly, they would have to have been demented to even imagine they could pull that off.

A very good but flawed series.

Will start watching Loki100's recommendation of Guilt tomorrow.

Did you watch the first episode of His Dark Materials? For me, the jury is out so far. Some things I liked, some things not so much. Still early in the series at the moment, though, and saw enough to keep me watching.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3318
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/9/2019 6:47:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Sarah Greene. I would.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Ok...

Just finished episode 8 and, thankfully, the last two episodes did redeem the travesty that was episode 6.

Overall, very much enjoyed the series and would give it 9/10 on the shunwickometer. I know Cassie admitted that they shouldn't have gone into that house and blamed it on her and her handler being out of control. But, honestly, they would have to have been demented to even imagine they could pull that off.

Did you watch the first episode of His Dark Materials? For me, the jury is out so far. Some things I liked, some things not so much. Still early in the series at the moment, though, and saw enough to keep me watching.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Glad you stuck with it and agreed it was worth it

What did you think of the performance of the 'baddie'? I though that was a highlight.

As for His Dark Materials, I am really not feeling it from the clips I've seen, but will defo watch it. However, the plan is to watch the series in bulk over Christmas when my elder little cruiser is home from Uni.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3319
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/9/2019 11:03:43 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Sarah Greene. I would.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Ok...

Overall, very much enjoyed the series and would give it 9/10 on the shunwickometer. I know Cassie admitted that they shouldn't have gone into that house and blamed it on her and her handler being out of control. But, honestly, they would need to have been demented to even imagine they could pull that off.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Glad you stuck with it and agreed it was worth it

What did you think of the performance of the 'baddie'? I though that was a highlight.

As for His Dark Materials, I am really not feeling it from the clips I've seen, but will defo watch it. However, the plan is to watch the series in bulk over Christmas when my elder little cruiser is home from Uni.

One of the most appalling baddies I have seen in a murder mystery for a while. Yes, a great performance and the main reason I would give a 9 rather than an 8.5. All the performances were top notch. It was a high quality production all round.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3320
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/11/2019 6:58:14 AM   
loki100

Felt that the second episode of Dark Materials wasn't so good. Had the feeling of it all being about shuffling the plot into place for later events?

and with some odd changes compared to the books

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3321
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/11/2019 5:39:34 PM   
warspite1

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Spolier Alert+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

World on Fire

The seven-part first series of the BBC’s World on Fire came to an end last night (a second series has been confirmed).

I have to say it was a bit of a mixed bag, but overall it pleasing to have something WWII related to watch.

At its best it was brilliant, but there were a few not so good moments….large parts of episode 5 were a bit of a shocker….

Best of all was that the writers remembered the importance of writing characters that the audience cares about. In this they succeeded with a number of characters and the storylines they were given (even if historical accuracy was perhaps stretched…..).

Best of all were Shhhhaauauunnn Bbeaannn (Douglas) and Lesley Manville (Robina). This actor/actress combo were simply the class of the field, giving the show a degree of gravitas and a lesson in how to act and assisted by a nice story line. Robina was in danger of being a little too much of a caricature, but this formidable actress pulled it off. Bean, who allegedly checked with the director that Douglas wasn’t to be killed off, played his part to perfection and one couldn’t help but have massive sympathy for this wreck of a man (courtesy of the trenches of WWI). I loved (and hated!) the end where they parted – both seemingly wanting to say something to the other, but missing the opportunity…… watch this space (I hope). These two were given some excellent scenes and Robina and Jan (Harry’s little brother in law) at the school was a feel good moment.

Their offspring – Lois (Douglas) and Harry (Robina) – gave equally good account of themselves, as did Kasia (Harry’s Polish wife), Jan and Vernon (Lois’ intended and RAF pilot). I like how she changed her mind on him and the subject of marriage and why - very nicely done.

There were some annoying aspects, but these didn’t spoil the show too much. As mentioned previously, there seemed to be too much willingness to make this WWII for the social media generation – information seemed to be available on tap, including which ships were hunting Graf Spee, and what happened to the Exeter before the crew of the Exeter probably had time to realise…..

Everything seemed to have to happen at double speed – and they would have been better having more characters to share the work. Instead Douglas’ son Tom joins up after the start of war, has a quick basic training, is teleported to the South Atlantic, comes back after the River Plate in time to head for Dunkirk where he’s wounded, patched up and then assisted by the resistance who have already got an escape route to Spain planned…. Meanwhile SOE is up and running and Harry is parachuted into Poland in July 1940 for an implausible mission (and I’m not sure what aircraft could have done that or where it was supposed to have landed…..) even more so was the fact that he met up with…… his wife! Natch.

It perhaps goes with the times that the German family in the film are all anti-Nazi – although probably acceptable as a counter to the majority of Germans we come across who are good old fashioned bad guys.

The only character that really grates (but is no doubt necessary to sell to this production to the US) is Helen Hunt’s Nancy. For one thing she’s had too much facial work - she really doesn’t look good. There to tell the story of what is going on, she sticks her nose into the Nazi T4 Euthanasia program – of course!

So in summary, a reasonable first series and it’s welcome news that it will return. Let’s hope they get to dial back the storylines to keep within more historically accurate boundaries.

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/15/2019 5:52:03 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3322
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/11/2019 7:53:33 PM   
shunwick

quote:

Felt that the second episode of Dark Materials wasn't so good. Had the feeling of it all being about shuffling the plot into place for later events?

and with some odd changes compared to the books

Not read the books but I liked the second episode better than the first. Was a bit worried about the series but the second episode hit the spot for me.

Watched the first episode of Guilt and liked that very much.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3323
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/13/2019 11:28:05 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Just watched episode 3 and I am loving this story.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3324
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/14/2019 7:31:05 PM   
ncc1701e

Discovering Battlestar Galactica. Starting season 2 right now. I know, I am late.

No spoilers please

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3325
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/15/2019 6:04:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Just watched episode 3 and I am loving this story.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Just seen the concluding episode. Excellent!!!!

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3326
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/15/2019 6:15:44 AM   
loki100

quote:

Just seen the concluding episode. Excellent!!!!

yep, Max's bid for the big time was short lived but fun to watch him trying

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3327
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/15/2019 5:36:32 PM   
warspite1

+++++ Care Spoilers+++++

What happened to Tina though - did she send the text or was it sent for her as she was otherwise indisposed.....??

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3328
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/15/2019 7:31:42 PM   
RFalvo69

I watched the first episode of "The Mandalorian". My vote is a solid Meh. A (banal) western with Star Wars painted on it. I hoped for more.

Still, the twist at the ending was strong enough to see what it will happen next, but I'll give to this show only another episode to convince me to follow it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3329
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 11/15/2019 9:41:14 PM   
loki100

quote:

+++++ Care Spoilers+++++

What happened to Tina though - did she send the text or was it sent for her as she was otherwise indisposed.....??

I assume she didn't send it voluntarily?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3330
Page:   <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI