Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 10/30/2019 1:53:19 PM   
ncc1701e

I have all the published volumes of Mr Nigel Askey so far. I like a lot the first volume and the model it is introducing. This is an excellent complement of Trevor N. Dupuy's QJM method.
I am looking forward to his conclusion in volume VI and maybe an evaluation of how TOAW is doing.

Great work Lobster.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 31
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/17/2019 1:51:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

How close are you to a public release?

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 32
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/17/2019 1:53:11 AM   
BigDuke66

I bet closer then the next TOAW patch.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 33
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/24/2019 12:32:08 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

How close are you to a public release?

The new hierarchy function that Bob is working on is going to introduce a huge change. So now I don't know...

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Post #: 34
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/24/2019 4:43:56 AM   
pz501

While I support the effort to introduce hierarchy, as I said in another thread, I'd really like to see and know that fixing identified bugs has first priority.

I can also appreciate slowing down or even stopping work on a 2.5 km Barbarossa. Really no sense in driving on if the future of the game system is cloudy. No one really knows what's going on anymore, and a patch (if one ever appears) that contains new features could make a lot of hard and tedious work virtually obsolete.

The 2.5 km map you've done and the work on an OOB is something to be respected. The amount of research and time involved has to be huge. If a completed scenario never comes to be, it certainly won't be because of lack of effort or interest on your part. That's something you can always take some pride in.

This reminds me just a little of the situation a few months ago where someone was redoing and expanding one of the "Next War" 1979 scenarios. Seems like that one had to be abandoned because of editor and game crash problems that are yet to be resolved. A lot of good ideas from very talented and dedicated people might never see the light of day if Matrix doesn't get it together.

"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." Oberfeldwebel Rolf Steiner, The Cross of Iron

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 35
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/24/2019 9:37:35 AM   
Lobster

Please do not make this thread another TOAW bashing. I thank you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 36
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/24/2019 1:34:11 PM   
pz501

TOAW bash? I wasn't trying to. I am guilty of forgetting that you are a member of that small elite that got TOAW to where it is today. Commoners like me should really just accept our place, so I'm sorry for intruding into your exclusive area. It won't happen again. You have my word.

"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." Oberfeldwebel Rolf Steiner, The Cross of Iron

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 37
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/24/2019 4:50:25 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I am guilty of forgetting that you are a member of that small elite that got TOAW to where it is today.

Actually, Jack is in his own club, all by himself. Only he knows how to design scenarios [although he never has] and no one can be negative of TOAW [although he often is the most negative]. He's a real gem!

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 38
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/24/2019 4:50:47 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: pz501

Really no sense in driving on if the future of the game system is cloudy. No one really knows what's going on anymore, and a patch (if one ever appears) that contains new features could make a lot of hard and tedious work virtually obsolete.

Bashing. But thank you for your understanding.

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 39
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/24/2019 6:43:13 PM   
mdanz

I felt bad about that one.

I agree that there's been a quite a bit of anger about poor communication from Matrix. It sounds like its become bashing to me as well.
A bit.

< Message edited by mdanz -- 11/25/2019 3:28:20 PM >

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 40
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/24/2019 9:25:30 PM   
Hellen_slith

I am confused, I don't see any bashing.

I for one am eager to see a new scenario,

but I think I share some concerns about how any new patch might affect the hard work that goes into developing new scenarios.

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 41
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 11:52:08 AM   
DD696

Lobster has taken exception to the fact that I posted in this thread on 23 August 2019, post #16. He states that "I attempted to hijack a thread I had about my scenario progress (which is probably in the wrong subforum) and I asked him not to so now he is having a tantrum". This is found here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4722429

I feel the need to apologize to lobster for the words I spoke and the attempted hijack of this thread.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

Lordy!. I doubt that I will live long enough to give it a try. Congratulations of such a mighty effort!

Since my words offend you so much and you perceive this comment as a hijack of this thread, I make a public apology to you for doing so and I duly promise that I will never speak words of this nature again to you. But being a dum'ass Marine, I simply cannot find where you requested that I not hijack your thread. Will you kindly direct me to the appropriate post?

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 42
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 1:12:57 PM   
pz501

I've taken the liberty of having a look at the thread in question, and honestly I don't see any hijacking or "TOAW Bashing" going on. I do see some remarks about the publisher (Matrix), and frustrations being expressed with a perceived lack of caring on their part.

As far as Mr. Jack Bechtold (Lobster)'s comments about "TOAW Bashing" are concerned, this seems to me to be a case of over reaction, and a tendency to call everything disliked "bashing" of some sort.

I'm most likely wrong, but it also seems as if Mr. Bechtold considers any negative comment directed at Matrix to be a personal attack. This is too bad, since people admire and encourage his dedication and commitment to producing what will become the most complex and largest scenario ever done using the TOAW engine. He will always have my admiration and respect for that, even if the project cannot be completed for any reason.

My unsolicited advice is to lighten up a little. No personal attacks are being made, and no one is obligated to defend poor Matrix management practices whether they are on the TOAW IV play test team or not.

Once again, nothing personal is intended against you Mr. Bechtold, and if you're wondering how I came by your name, check Page 2, Footnote 1 of Nigel Askey's "Operation Barabrossa Volume IIB" where it appears in print.

I'll depart now, and I really do wish you success with the scenario you're working on.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 43
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 1:38:16 PM   
Lobster

@pz501 I simply asked you to take your TOAWIV comments and bashing someplace else instead of posting them in this thread which is obviously NOT about the problems in TOAWIV. There are multiple threads where the problems with TOAWIV are discussed. That request is not out of line. But it's obvious a group to go on with this thread is pointless. So I'm outta here. If the people who have decided this thread is now theirs, have fun.

To DD696, due to your attempt at humor I apologize for confusing you with pz501 in another thread.

(in reply to pz501)
Post #: 44
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 2:31:50 PM   
pz501

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

@pz501 I simply asked you to take your TOAWIV comments and bashing someplace else instead of posting them in this thread which is obviously NOT about the problems in TOAWIV. There are multiple threads where the problems with TOAWIV are discussed. That request is not out of line. But it's obvious a group to go on with this thread is pointless. So I'm outta here. If the people who have decided this thread is now theirs, have fun.

To DD696, due to your attempt at humor I apologize for confusing you with pz501 in another thread.

Wow! Never took you to be so touchy. Tell you what...now that we've become sort of official forum enemies, I'll refrain from replying directly to any and all comments you make anywhere, in any forum, on any topic, so long as you extend me the same courtesy. Deal?

I still wish you success with the 2.5 km Barbarossa project though.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 45
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 2:39:38 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

I am guilty of forgetting that you are a member of that small elite that got TOAW to where it is today.

Actually, Jack is in his own club, all by himself. Only he knows how to design scenarios [although he never has] and no one can be negative of TOAW [although he often is the most negative]. He's a real gem!

Still upset I wouldn't follow you around like your dog and ask for Bob to get thrown off the team?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 46
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 3:05:34 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

I have never said anything but good things about your scenarios. You never said anything negative about me then. I have, myself said negative things about TOAWII, III and IV. You can check the forums and it's obvious. And I have supported people who have done so when there was a problem that was known. And how do you know I've never designed a scenario? You don't know me. You are nothing more than a bald faced liar.

So now that I'm about to get banned and Steve has achieved his goal of removing someone who supports the current development team I'll be seeing you all.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 11/27/2019 3:08:04 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 47
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 3:07:30 PM   
Zovs

Hey guys could we lighten up a bit?

I respect all old smelly JarHeads (okay you guyz are Marines, but you always be Jarheads to me.

Now how can I saw all that? Because I am a certified and trained DAT.

For those that don't know what a DAT is, well it stands for Dumb Ass Tanker, of the M1A1 quality, lol.

A lot of the times I am LLMF (or Lima Lima Mike Foxtrot). If you don't know what that old cavalry term is (yes I am old Cav man, 3/3 ACR Lima Troop) well you'll have to ask me privately because it some cuss words that cavalry men used to radio back to the CO...lol

Anyway, you guyz know we are all getting a lot older and a lot of us dead, or in the process of dying. Heck we all are born to die and we all are dying every day...

Cheers...

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 48
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 4:29:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's probably an open secret that most of the TOAW community is made up of mostly us older people and reminds me of a joke: The caption for the image is that a lot fewer older men are being hired and the job interviewer asks the prospective employee what his greatest weakness is and the older man says: "My honesty." And the interviewer says: "I don't think honesty is a weakness." and the older man says: "I don't give a f_ck what you think." He probably didn't get hired.

I think it's obvious that the size of the TOAW community is getting smaller all the time and there are reasons for that but I doubt it's because we're all at each other's throat all the time. Actually, I think most of us are helpful and cheerful and we get along with each other just fine. Some of us have arthritis in our hands and elbows and aren't having such a good day and we tend to take it out on the rest of us. Or if it's not arthritis then it's some other reason. Getting older isn't for wimps.

I think part of the reason for this latest flare-up is the frustration some of us feel at the lack of communication from the TOAW development team and delays in getting the newest release to the players. I feel your pain. If you can't handle the frustration any longer maybe you should migrate to a different game. We have a new leader now, a Bart somebody and even though he's not known to any of us he deserves a chance to make something happen. I say give him a week and then complain.

I have a dream that the development team will actually do some useful development and that the newest releases are delivered to the players in a timely manner. It would be wonderful if it could do that. The team probably needs another good programmer to make code changes and maybe a new team leader who knows what needs to be done and can assign priorities and point out to the team what needs more testing. We, the playtesters, used to have periodic briefings from the team leader about the progress we're making and what needs to be done yet and about a year ago that stopped. I'm not sure why. I now feel like the testing has stopped and the team is now rudder-less and needs direction.

I'm 69 years old and I'm going to die, probably sometime in the 2020's, and most of the TOAW community is probably going to migrate to other games and by 2025 nobody will be playing it any longer. Probably. I say let's take care of each other and stop the flame wars. We need each other believe it or not. Jack is a good guy....he just has a hair trigger on some issues. Love him any way....he's part of the TOAW community and knows a lot about the game and he actually contributes a lot too. Overlook the less than stellar verbage and ill will and be a little more professional and everything will work out eventually. Probably.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/27/2019 4:32:47 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 49
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 5:56:50 PM   
Zovs

Excellent points Larry!

I pray you live another 20 years at least!

Its been a pleasure knowing and gaming with you.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

Post #: 50
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 6:20:36 PM   
76mm

Guys, this community is small enough as it is, and as Larry points out, demography is not on our side. Could we all please do our best to keep the fratricide to a minimum? Last thing any of us needs is a less active forum and smaller community of players and designers. Let's all play nice!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 51
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 7:06:14 PM   
DD696

quote:

Lobster, there is absolutely no need to bow to me. I was only a Staff Sargent of Marines, not the Commandant of the Marine Corps. Your apology is accepted.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 52
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 7:56:02 PM   
DD696

Back in boot camp the DI's always used the term "GBLMF" to describe the aircraft that flew from the San Diego Airport. The term stood for "great big loud whatever"s". The airport was, and still is, immediately adjacent to Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego. Every large plane I see is still a GBLMF.

To the other Larry (I am one also) - your points go to the heart of the matter and is the focus of my concerns about this game. I lived in Arizona for 16 years and it is still what I consider home to me (even if I am from Idaho - you know, the place where they grow all the corn)! I hope I get a chance to see the gorgeous deserts of Arizona one more time before I croak - 73 this next January - haven't seen them since 2002. Please enjoy them for me.

To the other that commented on old smelly Jarheads - that's certainly the truth. Bladder cancer caused the removal of my bladder 4 years ago and I live life with a pee bag handing from my abdomen, but, I am still kicking and playing war games, a hobby I have enjoyed immensely since 1967.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 53
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 7:56:51 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

quote:

. . . due to your attempt at humor I apologize for confusing you with pz501 in another thread.

Lobster, there is absolutely no need to bow to me. I was only a Staff Sargent of Marines, not the Commandant of the Marine Corps. Your apology is accepted.

Reminds me of an old Dilbert.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 54
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 8:23:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Bladder cancer caused the removal of my bladder 4 years ago and I live life with a pee bag handing from my abdomen, but, I am still kicking and playing war games, a hobby I have enjoyed immensely since 1967.

Sorry about your bladder, dude. Can they not do one of those 3-D printer tricks and construct you a new bladder? Or maybe use a porcine bladder? Enquiring minds want to know.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 55
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 8:37:59 PM   
DD696

Well, I had them reroute the flow of urine to a piece of intestine that protrudes just to the right side of my belly button. A bag is then attached to the skin to collect the urine. I can then drain the urine from the bag. At night I use a much larger drainage bag to collect the night's production.

The other option was to have the surgeon use a lot intestine to construct a man made bladder so that I could pee in the manner that a man normally does. The drawbacks to this was that since a good many nerves (and the prostate) was removed/destroyed, I would have very little control of bladder functions. In other words, I could wet my pants at any time. This would be most inappropriate for a United States Marine. I most likely would also have to use a catheter, inserted by myself, to remove the urine from this reconstructed bladder as control of those muscles was now gone. Since I had absolutely no desire to insert a catheter into the appropriate portion of my body, and since I had no desire to wear a diaper in case of an accident, I chose the the method I now have.

It works. Four years and one month later I am still alive.

Post #: 56
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 8:42:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Well, I had them reroute the flow of urine to a piece of intestine that protrudes just to the right side of my belly button. A bag is then attached to the skin to collect the urine. I can then drain the urine from the bag. At night I use a much larger drainage bag to collect the night's production.

The other option was to have the surgeon use a lot intestine to construct a man made bladder so that I could pee in the manner that a man normally does. The drawbacks to this was that since a good many nerves (and the prostate) was removed/destroyed, I would have very little control of bladder functions. In other words, I could wet my pants at any time. This would be most inappropriate for a United States Marine. I most likely would also have to use a catheter, inserted by myself, to remove the urine from this reconstructed bladder as control of those muscles was now gone. Since I had absolutely no desire to insert a catheter into the appropriate portion of my body, and since I had no desire to wear a diaper in case of an accident, I chose the the method I now have.

It works. Four years and one month later I am still alive.

Old age isn't for wimps. Good hunting to you.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 57
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 8:45:50 PM   
DD696

That's entirely right. These are not the Golden Years. These are the Rust Years.

Post #: 58
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 9:27:49 PM   
Zovs

My health woes stem from jumping off the hulls of tanks onto the concrete motor pool, now my knees are shot with arthritis making stairs a painful experience. I also was “awarded” 10% disability and got hearing aides, not sure if it was from sitting under the 120mm cannon or the grinding of the tank tracks or both. I also got PTSD but I think that comes standard in war.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 59
RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km - 11/27/2019 9:41:47 PM   
DD696

Old soldiers (and Marines and Air Force guys - I guess we can also allow those Navy types) don't just fade away. We rust away.

Yeah. Definitely allow those Navy guys. I heard that one of them stubbed their toe in an ice cream frenzy during the height of the Vietnam war.

< Message edited by DD696 -- 11/27/2019 9:58:11 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Barbarossa at 2.5km Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI