Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 17-18 Jul 44

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 17-18 Jul 44 Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 17-18 Jul 44 - 10/15/2019 10:19:33 PM   
jwolf

Incredible that the convoy successfully evaded the destroyer. But I don't understand why you're deliberately sending the ship to her death at this point. You already know or presume there are CD guns and mines at Okinawa-- so what is the point of this recon by suicide mission?

You're making good progress in the Philippines and that is very encouraging for the Allied side.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1321
RE: 17-18 Jul 44 - 10/15/2019 10:24:39 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Incredible that the convoy successfully evaded the destroyer. But I don't understand why you're deliberately sending the ship to her death at this point. You already know or presume there are CD guns and mines at Okinawa-- so what is the point of this recon by suicide mission?

DD Harding is overdue to withdraw - which is costing me 9PP per turn which I really can't afford. She was too far to a port to withdraw, so I figured it would be easier sinking her than paying the 9PP per turn....which has turned out to be a bad call....she'd be in port at Colombo by now withdrawn....

Political points are gold right now - in very short supply as I shuffle some unit commands around.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1322
RE: 17-18 Jul 44 - 10/16/2019 9:22:20 PM   
Bif1961

I have two British ships a CV and CL too damaged to withdraw but not damaged enough to run up the damage to scuttle. I actually had a 3rd a BB that I finally ran up the damage enough to scuttle after 2 weeks of being overdue. They have cost me 1,800 PPs to date and there is no end in sight for at least the CV. I looked for it but couldn't find what is the minimum or maximum damage points a ship, British can have and still be withdrawn?

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1323
RE: 17-18 Jul 44 - 10/18/2019 10:54:42 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

I have two British ships a CV and CL too damaged to withdraw but not damaged enough to run up the damage to scuttle. I actually had a 3rd a BB that I finally ran up the damage enough to scuttle after 2 weeks of being overdue. They have cost me 1,800 PPs to date and there is no end in sight for at least the CV. I looked for it but couldn't find what is the minimum or maximum damage points a ship, British can have and still be withdrawn?

Check this thread out:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3077611&mpage=35&key=ship%2Cwithdrawal%26%2365533%3B#

key point for your question is:
Aggregated damage does not exceed 100
Damage to any single component is less than 50

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1324
19-20 Jul 44 - 10/18/2019 11:05:24 PM   
IdahoNYer

19-20 Jul 44

Highlights – Naga and Legaspi taken; Bangkok holds off first two assaults.

Jpn ships sunk:
SST: 1 (Yu-6)
TK: 1
xAK: 1
xAKL: 1

Allied ships sunk: None

Air loss:
Jpn: 12
Allied: 11

Subwar:
Jpn: 0 Attacks, 0 ships hit
Allies: 4 Attacks, 0 ships hit

Jpn Amph Inv: None

Allied Amph Inv: None

Bases lost: None

Bases Liberated:
Hue (SE Asia)
Naga (SWPAC)
Legaspi (SWPAC)
Catanduanes (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: SS Trout sights convoy off Hong Kong - could be that same convoy that the CVs hit a few days ago making another run through the Formosa Strait to the Home Islands - will send the CVs north to see if they can intercept. Also got a SIGINT hit on a convoy heading to Formosa with the IJA’s 1st IN Div.

West Coast/Admin: While the F6F-5 has entered production this month, I haven’t swapped out any squadrons yet in the fleet, allowing them to build up in the pools a bit.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, DD Harding still hasn’t found her demise, finding no mines or CD batteries at Naha - good recon, but still costing 9pp per turn. Will now sail her up to Japan proper…

In SOPAC, troops begin moving from Davao towards Cagayan. And based on the Bangkok attack, I’m in no rush to attack at Cagayan until all troops can be assembled. Bombers continue to work over defenders, but results are poor, so they are well dug in. Not surprised. As assault transports move to load the Northern Luzon Amphib troops, civilian transports begin moving towards Kavieng and Mussau Is to move much of the intended Formosa bound assault troops to Saigon and Cam Ranh Bay. I was going to just embark them from the Kavieng area, and move with assault transports across the Pacific, but with the addition of troops released from SE Asia joining the assault, and gaining Indochina ports, this will greatly simplify the logistics to the Formosa landings. At sea, based on the potential transports/shipping around Formosa, will send the CVs north to find and engage. Fuel situation is still good, and the Repl TF will also move north a bit in the Philippine Sea in support. CVs will stay north as long as sorties permit, and then shift west a bit to cover the Luzon landings. Will likely have to break off one of the three CV TFs at a time to replenish at a port for CV sorties if this raid finds good targets.

In SWPAC, troops take Naga and Legaspi without much difficulty - only an SNLF at Legaspi and SNLF Co at Naga - about 1000 casualties and both units destroyed to less than 50 US. Troops will now start the trek towards Manila from the south. Both bases were taken intact, and fighters and PBYs are brought in to Legaspi.

In China, as Allied recon begins probing Canton and Hong Kong from recently taken bases in Indochina, US China based fighters will likely be called into action to sweep for bomber raids.

In SE Asia, the first assaults on Bangkok were held. Forts were reduced to level 3, but the 30k plus defenders held their ground. After two attacks, about 3300 IJA casualties for almost 4000 Allied - but mostly disabled. Two Allied units took it hard - the Chinese Div committed as a “soak off” unit and worked as intended plus an Indian Bde. The four Allied divisions and other Bdes are still in good shape, although they need to recover some fatigue and disruption. Will bring in another engineer Bde as well as up to four more Indian Bdes standing by in Ayuthia. Bombers will put the time to good use as troops recover and shift, I’m in no rush here, although I do need Bangkok to open up the LOCs (Lines of communication) to troops advancing toward Vietnam. Elsewhere, Hue falls abandoned to troops advancing up Highway 1 along the Vietnam coast, and troops that liberated Ubon work across the Mekong River to flank the IJA unit delaying. Influx of troops continue to Cam Ranh Bay, although Kamikazes out of Singers continue to be annoying - one of two Babs hit an LST off Bangka Island. Routing convoys as close to Borneo as possible, and fighters are providing both ranging CAP and LRCAP in the area, but there are just too many convoys right now - and I’m not halting that for a few Kamis. That could be painful if L_S_T masses a big strike, but I’m counting on minimal supplies avail in Singers to prevent that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 10/18/2019 11:06:30 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1325
21-22 Jul 44 - 10/20/2019 1:14:03 AM   
IdahoNYer

21-22 Jul 44

Highlights – CVs find not one, but TWO convoys and do damage.

Jpn ships sunk:
E: 2
xAK: 4

Air loss:
Jpn: 56
Allied: 21

Subwar:
Allies: 1 Attack, 1 ship hit (xAK dam)

Bases Liberated:
Kompong Chhnang (SE Asia)
Dumanquilas (SOPAC)
Calapan (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: I’m very surprised that no CAP is supporting these troop and/or supply convoys going to Formosa and Okinawa. While L_S_T is sending troops to defend here, no fighters?? There was robust CAP supporting big convoys on Panay in the Philippines last month - has the supply situation worsened that much??

West Coast/Admin: NSTR.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, DD Harding at least found a base defended by CD guns - Iki-shima on the north coast of Kyushu she gets beat up by CD batteries, but not enough to scuttle, so she’s still costing 9pp per turn. Will attempt another “bombardment”, but now low on ammo, the ship’s AI skipper may not agree. Also, SOPAC is cutting lose some assault transports and a CVE TF to head to CENPAC for the Guam landings. Troops are almost completely prepped, so will see about getting this launched in the next few weeks when the naval assets can assemble.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1326
RE: 21-22 Jul 44 - 10/20/2019 1:15:45 AM   
IdahoNYer

In SOPAC, the CV TFs move to a position SSE of Formosa to be able to hit contacts both off Formosa and Okinawa and hit pay dirt. Two convoys, one unloading at Tahioku on Formosa and one at Nago on Okinawa are hit, and with multiple strikes. While only 2E and 4xAKs were reported as sunk, a good dozen or so more xAKs were left burning. The transports still had some guns on board, but no squads were reported lost. Figure this is the 1st Infantry Div landing on Formosa to reinforce the defenses, and recon reports troops moving west out of Taihoku which is an inviting target - so a CA TF (4CA, DDs) will go in to bombard, preceded by a DD TF to engage any remaining transports. With luck, a solid naval bombardment can catch the troops on the move and inflict heavy loss. The CA TF will have three CVLs’ worth of fighters committed to LRCAP just in case Kamikazes come into play - and I’m holding off swapping out the three remaining CVLs still needing refit/upgrade. A few CVs are now running low on sorties, so I’m swapping out what squadrons are on naval attack (assuming ASW and search also use sorties?) and so far not a single SBD squadron has launched which is a bit concerning. CVs will head a bit closer to Formosa to focus on naval targets there. On the ground in Mindanao, troops continue to move toward Cagayan and additional engineers come ashore. Still holding off on attacking Cagayan until the troops from the Davao landings march in, but in the meantime, a BB TF (5BBs, DDs) will bombard. The BBs will then head to CENPAC for support of the Guam landings. Elsewhere, troops begin loading at Makassar, Hollandia and Morotai for the Luzon landings.

In SWPAC, troops begin advancing north toward Manila from Naga. I expect speed bumps at the couple of bases south of Manila, but no major defenses. The biggest challenge right now for SWPAC is building up the AFs to support operations on Luzon - they’re expanding on Busuanga, Palawan and Panay, but they aren’t fully ready for Heavies yet. That will just mean more down time for a/c as the fields are really needed now. Need to put more emphasis on reducing Manila - not sure if its going to be worth trying to take Manila when the time comes. Recon already show 80k troops, and I expect level 6 forts by now. Do I really need that carnage to take it? Or perhaps just isolate it like Truk/Rabaul?

In China, it remains quiet, and US/Brit fighters based at Kweilin and Wenchow will sweep over Canton in support of Rangoon based B-29s hitting the AF. I figure this is where the Georges are based, so this could be bloody.

In SE Asia, troops recover fatigue and disruption at Bangkok with the Corps HQ quickly, so they are ready to go in again next turn with some additional engineers and artillery added. Bombers continue to work over defenders and with the forts reduced to 3, seem to get better results. Troops continue to advance in Vietnam, no surprises so far. A small Kamikaze raid focused on a few transports I had at Singkep which were covered by CAP, and the offending 5 Babs were splashed. Will keep those transports there as a light bulb to attract the flies for a bit. B-29s out of Rangoon will hit Canton AFs next turn, supported by China based fighters. As soon as the Vietnam and eastern Thailand AFs can support Heavies, will move groups east - especially to Tourane/Hue where they can range to Hong Kong and Canton. Not there just yet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 10/20/2019 1:18:12 AM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1327
RE: 21-22 Jul 44 - 10/21/2019 5:24:44 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Tsushima seems to have some pretty vicious CD guns. The Harding might have better "luck" there. You could also try a minesweeping operation at Shimonoseki or Nagasaki once the ammo is depleted.

Cheers,
CB

< Message edited by CaptBeefheart -- 10/21/2019 5:25:09 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1328
23-24 Jul 44 - 10/21/2019 6:50:16 PM   
IdahoNYer

23-24 Jul 44

Highlights – Bangkok taken; Kamikazes launch against CVs.

Jpn ships sunk:
xAK: 3

Air loss:
Jpn: 87
Allied: 09

Subwar:
Allies: 1 Attack, 0 ships hit

Bases Liberated:
Bangkok (SE Asia)
Paske (SE Asia)
Burias (SWPAC - flipped)
Catbalogan (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: No sign of the Formosa/Okinawa convoys, except for three xAKs still off Taihoku on Formosa. Beginning to look like L_S_T’s defensive perimeter goes from Formosa - Okinawa - Home Islands - Kuriles. Not really sure how hard Formosa and Okinawa will be defended with air assets, but convinced now that the PI is not going to defended only with ground forces.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, DD Harding’s luck continue as she finds a minefield but CLEARs the 4 mines she encounters! Amazing! She’ll continue to cruise around the HI until she meets her demise. Gotta happen at some point!

In SOPAC, the CVs fail to find any shipping to strike in the southern East China Sea, only the CL TF (CL, 4DD) heading to clear Taihoku find targets - 3 xAKs sunk without loss. The CVs are the target of a moderate Kamikaze attack - some 40 Oscars which are easily handled by the CAP. The Taihoku bombardment TF (3CA, DDs) fails to achieve much, no ships damaged while in port. The Fleet will retire somewhat south into the Philippine Sea to refuel with the Repl TF off northern Luzon. They will then transit north of Luzon into the South China Sea to cover the Luzon landings. I’ve decided to cut loose CV Bunker Hill and the three remaining CVLs needing refit/upgrade to head to Soerabaja so the refits will be conducted prior the Okinawa landings. The old US BB bombardment TF (5BBs, DDs) inflict about 750 casualties at Cagayan, and begin to head to Woleai to support Guam landings. Troops still marching from Davao towards Cagayan, so the ground attack waits. Initial convoys carrying troops for Formosa landings complete loading at Kavieng and Mussau and will begin their voyage to Saigon. Also, troops finish loading at Makassar, Hollandia and Morotai for the Luzon landings, and begin to move towards Jolo. Troops for Lingayan are completely loaded, while troops bound for Iba have the longest transit and many support troops still need to load at Sorong/Sansopor, so the Lingayan landings will go in first, followed by the Iba landings.

In SWPAC, troops march north toward Manila and will attack Atimonan next turn which looks to be abandoned. Build up continues at Legaspi and Naga as more support troops come ashore - including the SWPAC HQ which begins to load at Darwin.

In China, US fighters sweep Canton in support of SE Asia B-29s, but no fighters come up as CAP. Will shift to support strikes over Hong Kong next turn, while a single P-47 squadron will sweep Swatow to see if CAP comes up.

In SE Asia, the first attack on Bangkok secures the base, but casualties aren’t light after two days of fighting. IJA loses about 3000 men while it costs the Allies about 1600 - mainly disabled though. Supplies will need to be built up as well as troops needing to recover some fatigue before continuing the attacks, while the Heavies in support of ground attacks will be shut down. As the ground fight moves from Thailand to Indochina, Pakse is taken and the Mekong River is crossed at a number of points unopposed. Troops close in on Saigon from the east as well as the west, and once the engineers arrive, will attack to secure the city. What I’ll need more of in Indochina is troops for garrisons. In the air, B-29s out of Rangoon hit Canton with little results as the AFs were empty. They will shift to hitting Hong Kong’s port next turn. Also in the air, more recon birds are shifted to Vietnam AFs to start looking closer at Hainan and bases along the Chinese coast. At sea, the flow of troops and supplies from the DEI to Indochina ports continue at a brisk pace with no interruptions from Kamikazes for at least a turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1329
RE: 23-24 Jul 44 - 10/21/2019 8:28:55 PM   
jwolf

Ha! Kudos to the Harding again! She and her gallant crew are definitely outwitting you!

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1330
RE: 23-24 Jul 44 - 10/22/2019 7:56:32 AM   
obvert

I like what you're doing here. It looks like you've shut off the SRA from Japan with your moves into Indochina and the PI. What is the next destination? If you can get in Strat bombing range soon you could do some real damage.

Northern PI is in range of some Japanese industry, as are some areas on the Chinese coast across from Formosa, as well as Formosa itself.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1331
RE: 23-24 Jul 44 - 10/22/2019 9:51:16 PM   
Bif1961

The ghost ship Harding, songs will be song in the grog halls to her.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1332
RE: 23-24 Jul 44 - 10/24/2019 4:11:45 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

The ghost ship Harding, songs will be song in the grog halls to her.

But in Whitehall, there will be displeasure . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1333
RE: 23-24 Jul 44 - 10/25/2019 5:52:26 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I like what you're doing here. It looks like you've shut off the SRA from Japan with your moves into Indochina and the PI. What is the next destination? If you can get in Strat bombing range soon you could do some real damage.

Northern PI is in range of some Japanese industry, as are some areas on the Chinese coast across from Formosa, as well as Formosa itself.

Thanks Obvert!

Northern Luzon is next - to do just what you suggest. Secure the AFs for strat bombing. Aparri and the adjacent AFs will bring B-29s in normal range of Kyushu. Have plenty of B-29s now....just need some good airfields and targets. Formosa and Guam are also "on the list" in the coming weeks. We do have a house rule against strat bombing into/out of China however - was a good idea when L_S_T was crushing Chinese supply back in '42, now.....not so much. Oh well...

Oh, one clarification to your post - the SRA isn't cut off.....its been seized. He's getting zero oil from anything but "at start" oil wells. As far as I can figure, the largest of which is in Manchuria which will be a priority target when I can range it.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1334
25-26 Jul 44 - 10/26/2019 4:54:20 PM   
IdahoNYer

25-26 Jul 44

Highlights – Solid air raid on Hong Kong port; DD Harding finally goes down!

Jpn ships sunk:
SC: 3
AV: 1
AG: 1
xAK: 2
AMc: 2

Allied ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Harding)

Air loss:
Jpn: 06
Allied: 13

Subwar:
Allies: 4 Attacks, 0 ships hit

Bases Liberated:
Bien Hoa (SE Asia)
Boac (SWPAC)
Atimonan (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: While no CAP was over Hong Kong, Recon over Canton reports over 100 fighters are now again based there - perhaps looking to sweep the US Chinese fighter bases again?

West Coast/Admin: BB Indiana completes refit/upgrade at Sydney and will begin her voyage with 3DD escort to rejoin the Fleet.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, DD Harding finally engages a CD battery that gets the better of her off Iki-shima….she went down fighting!

In SOPAC, the Fleet pulls back to refuel, and one CV TF takes on fuel east of Aparri in the Philippine Sea. Another one should refuel during the move south as the Fleet will negotiate the Sibuyan Sea heading west enroute to the South China Sea to support the northern Luzon landings. One CV TF will likely detach next turn to Cam Ranh Bay to replenish sorties as well as perhaps upgrade some CV’s F6F-3s to F6F-5s, leaving two to CV TFs support the initial landings. Lingayen Amphib should reach Taytay next turn and link up with 2xCVE and 2xCA TFs providing support. They will then head toward target. Iba Amphib has completed loading support troops at Sorong and will also head towards Taytay and be called forward on order. Still looking to put troops ashore on northern Luzon before the month is out. Do not expect much in the way of defenses, as it looks as though the vast majority of IJA have pulled back to defend Manila. While Manila will be a bear to reduce (still debating whether that will be even necessary), it should open up all those valuable AFs in northern Luzon for easy capture - which will bring Japan in range of B-29s to begin strat bombing.

In SWPAC, Atimonan is taken undefended by lead troops advancing toward Manila. Lucena is next in line, and also appears undefended.

In China, US fighters sweep Hong Kong in support of SE Asia B-29s, but no fighters come up as CAP. With fighters again reported at Canton, and the fighters a bit fatigued due to the four days of sweeps, all will return to a CAP role to see if the Jpn fighters come calling.

In SE Asia, Rangoon based B-29s conduct a very effective raid on Hong Kong’s port finding a number of ships present and doing good damage without CAP to bother them. Three SC, xAK and two AMc are reported sunk, but also heavy damage is reported to additional xAKs and an AR. On the ground, troops continue to advance at a good pace, although it looks like there maybe a fight in northern Vietnam looming. Engineers should move into Saigon next turn to support the forthcoming attack there. At Bangkok, Allied troops are now reinforced, resupplied and refreshed enough to renew the attack, and will attack again this turn. XV Corps troops continue the slow slog south into Malaya, but once they reach the next base at Surat Thani, the pace may quicken somewhat with better roads to the south. At sea, the influx of troops into Cam Ranh Bay continues at a brisk pace and the flow of supplies also continues well enough to support current offensive operations. The goal now is to increase the flow of engineers and get them to AFs to expand for the Heavies. These include Ubon and Udon Thani in eastern Thailand as well as Quinhon, Tourane and Hue on the coast of Vietnam.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1335
RE: 27-28 Jul 44 - 10/29/2019 6:22:27 PM   
IdahoNYer

27-28 Jul 44

Highlights – Another good attack on IJA troops remaining at Bangkok; Singapore based Kamis claim another victim.

Jpn ships sunk:
SS: 1 (RO-104)

Allied ships sunk:
SS: 1 (Baya)

Air loss:
Jpn: 13
Allied: 11

Subwar:
Allies: 1 Attacks, 0 ships hit Baya succumbed to damage from previous DC attack…submariners still have the toughest job with very few potential targets available.

Allied Amph Inv:
Balabac (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Mauban (SWPAC - flipped)
Masbate (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: NSTR.

In NOPAC, 6th Mar Div and support elements begins loading at PH for transit to Dutch Harbor.

In CENPAC, assault transports begin arriving at Kusaie and Tabiteuea for the upcoming Guam landings. Will be a few more days before the all the necessary assault transports. The BB, CVE and CA TFs should be in position at Woleai next turn, and they will then begin supporting bombardment missions in the Marianas and base out of Rota.

In SOPAC, the Fleet arrives off Taytay and will detach one of the three CV TFs to Cam Ranh Bay to replenish while the other two as well as accompanying surface and ASW TFs move to a position off northern Luzon to support the Lingayen landings. Lingayen Amph TF as well as two CVE and two CA TFs will depart Taytay and should begin landings on the second day. Will not conduct an initial naval bombardment as defenses are reported to be light. Iba Amph TF will arrive at Taytay next turn, along with two additional CVE TFs, so they will likely head to target shortly.

In SWPAC, troops continue to move north towards Manila without encountering any enemy troops. Naga continues to be built up as a base. Elsewhere, a reinforced Aussie Bn is landed at Busuanga to find it garrisoned, so a CA TF will come by to bombard before the ground troops attack. On Mindanao, the 8th NZ Bde pushes the IJA Davao defenders deeper into the eastern jungles and inflicts over 500 casualties. Will focus some recon on NE Mindanao bases such as Butuan to see if they are garrisoned. If weakly held, will look to drop paratroops to secure and prevent the remaining IJA troops from withdrawing here.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, another two solid attacks go in to reduce the remaining defenders of Bangkok, inflicting over 9000 casualties at a price of just under 700. Troops need a turn to rest before resuming the attack to reduce the remaining troops - reported to be over 20k remaining. As lead advancing Allied troops approach Vinh in northern Vietnam, recon provides a surprising report that Vinh is held by over 30k troops - not the previously reported single brigade. So, the wildly dispersed Indian XXXIII Corps comprising the Allied advanced guard will have to consolidate before advancing on Vinh, and onward towards Hanoi. Still not sure if an IJA defensive line is being established here, or this is just a delaying force. Elsewhere, with engineers now arrived, troops will launch the long awaited attack on Saigon next turn, and I expect the base to fall in the initial attack. Lastly, a pair of Babs out of Singers range to Padang in Sumatra to sink a coastal freighter. Will return a Spitfire squadron to Padang provide some CAP. With all the transport traffic moving towards Indochina from DEI ports, Kamikazes will remain a threat and occasionally get lucky. Hopefully, not against a major troop convoy!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1336
29-30 Jul 44 - 10/30/2019 5:37:01 PM   
IdahoNYer

29-30 Jul 44

Highlights – Saigon taken and troops ashore at Lingayen.

Jpn ships sunk:
DMS: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 3
Allied: 22

Subwar:
Allies: 2 Attacks, 0 ships hit

Allied Amph Inv:
Lingayen (SOPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Battambang (SWPAC)
Lucena (SWPAC)
Saigon (SE Asia)

SIGINT/Intel: SIGINT reports an IJN convoy carrying a IN Bde heading to Pescadores - when of course is the question. Also, recon is picking up IJA units moving off the line in SE China near Nanning - perhaps consolidating the line more towards Hong Kong - Canton.

In NOPAC, 6th Mar Div and support elements begin their journey to the Aleutians from Pearl.

In CENPAC, still assembling the assault transports for the Guam landings, short a couple of ships for the desired two division lift. Getting close! BB TF (5BB, DDs) supported by a CVE TF (7CVE, CL, DD/DEs) and CA TF (2CA, CL, DDs) to depart Woleai to begin bombardment of the three Mariana islands, starting with Saipan. Once Saipan is bombarded, will base out of Rota which has been plussed up with AEs/AKEs to continue operations until the landings. I don’t expect any surprises here, but you never know!

In SOPAC, Lingayen amphib goes in to find Lingayen undefended. Base didn’t flip, so that will happen next turn. Iba Amph will depart Taytay and land on the second day - a single enemy unit is reported to be at Iba. Each Amphib TF has two CVE TFs and a CA TF in support - more than enough for the two CV TFs remaining in support to sortie a bit northeast to bring CV air in range of Pescadores in case that reported IJA convoy happens by. A number of subs are also enroute, but I don’t expect much from the subs - more likely just targets for ASW a/c in the shallows north of Formosa. Taking a little risk here sortieing with 2/3s of the CV TF, but I don’t think a massed Kamikaze strike is in the mix. The two CV TFs will still have about 300 or so fighters on CAP plus about 200 to escort strikes. The third CV TF is still heading to Cam Ranh Bay and should arrive next turn to replenish air sorties, refuel and swap out F6F-3s for F6F-5s.

In SWPAC, on southern Luzon, troops secure Lucena without a fight and will advance to Batangas just south of Manila. On Mindanao, troops continue to gather for the assault on Cagayan. Air recon shows Butuan, just east of Cagayan empty, so will airdrop the US 513th Para Reg to secure the base and prevent the IJA from withdrawing into the NE end of the island.

In China, with indications that the IJA are pulling off the line opposite Chinese troops SW of Nanning, Chinese troops will begin following up across the river in the general direction of Pakhoi. Not sure how much the IJA is pulling off, or where they plan to establish a new line - but in any case, this IJA move could quicken the linkup (and establishing a direct supply line) with SE Asia troops.

In SE Asia, the first attack secures Saigon, with the surviving enemy troops withdrawing to the SW - which of course is behind a river, and these troops will need to be dealt with. With Saigon taken, minesweepers begin clearing the anticipated mines left behind as the first ships are due to arrive shortly. Saigon has an operational repair shipyard - although small (4), will serve to repair subs and take some of that burden off Soerabaja. In the NE, troops close near Vinh and will develop the situation as additional troops march in. Troops at Bangkok will launch another attack next turn against the remaining 20k IJA.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1337
Jul 44 Summary - 11/4/2019 11:17:55 PM   
IdahoNYer

Jul 44 Summary

The Allied advances continue at a brisk pace, closing in on Japan’s Inner Defensive Perimeter. The combined SOPAC and SWPAC campaign for the Philippines is in full swing, with less than expected resistance - except for what looks to be a major stand at Manila. Securing the outer PI islands continues, albeit fairly slowly, although some bases have “flipped” which helps. Conditions are pretty much set for the landings at Guam, but little else was attempted in CENPAC. NOPAC remains quiet, although Kurile bound troops have been arriving to Aleutian embarkation points. China remains pretty quiet. Lastly, SE Asia troops liberated Bangkok and continues their rapid advance into Vietnam, finding increasing IJA SW of Hanoi, while their secondary efforts to clear the Malay peninsula continue to progress slowly. US CV raids toward the East China Sea have had some successes against merchant traffic around Formosa and Okinawa, but little has been accomplished against the IJN. Kamikazes remain the most troublesome threat, although their successes have been mostly limited to small strikes against shipping. Naval losses for the month were light to both sides; the IJN reportedly lost 2DD, 3E, and a SS, compared to the Allies losing 2DDs, a DE and 2SS. In the air, minimal losses for both sides, most to operational losses and the occasional Kamikaze strike -345 for Jpn to 273 Allied.

COMMAND STRUCTURE: With both SOPAC and SWPAC converging on the Philippines, the command structure there has been a bit confusing. To that, all operations in the Philippines - both Luzon and the outer islands will be a SWPAC responsibility. SOPAC will be responsible for the forthcoming Formosa and Okinawa campaigns and any naval operations north of the PI. NOPAC and CENPAC will remain unchanged, with NOPAC operations limited to the forthcoming Kurile landings and CENPAC limited to the Marianas. SE Asia operations also remain unchanged, although they will be responsible for the forthcoming landings on Hainan and any operations along the Chinese coast by Commonwealth troops. China command will remain responsible for all actions in the interior of China. Will look at adjusting this again when and if there is a need for landings on the Home Islands themselves.

INTEL: With little major responses to the Allied advances, and of course the flow of intel intercepts (i.e., emails from L_S_T) concerning drastic supply issues, the Japanese main defensive line looks to be the Inner Defensive Perimeter. That seems to be defined as the Home Islands and outer coastal islands such as Okinawa. What still isn’t clear is whether landings on the Kuriles and/or Formosa are part of that defensive line and will draw a major response from air and naval assets. And that is the real question - occupied territories still under IJA control will be contested by ground forces to the best of their abilities with supplies available, but whether or not air and naval forces will be committed in force remains the greatest variable and threat. It may happen at Formosa and the Kuriles, but right now, I have no indication that it will. In any case, Kamikazes continue to be the most dangerous threat, especially against poorly protected supply chain convoys. What will trigger a major Kamikaze attack or an IJN fleet sortie remains the biggest question and threat.

SUBWAR: Allies subs continue to patrol, and extend patrols further into previously “safe havens” such as the Yellow Sea and the Sea of Japan in search of targets which remain few and far between. Despite supply issues, IJN ASW, both sea and air, remain very dangerous to Allied subs. A few IJN subs have been seen sighted and attacked, primarily supply boats.

West Coast/USA/Rear Areas: Fighter production remains at 735 in June with no changes. Pilot pools are better with the US Navy fighter pools climbing despite the continued influx of low grade pilots with incoming CVEs. The only pilot pool that is concerning at the moment is the US Army recon pilot pool - a number of reinforcing recon squadrons have arrived needing pilots, so the pool is dry. Using a few restricted bomber squadrons as recon trainers to assist. The last remaining Essex CV and three CVLs requiring refit/upgrade are enroute to Soerabaja and all these should be completed in August - except of course for reinforcing Essex class which may still require the upgrade.

NOPAC. The last major troop convoy is enroute to Dutch Harbor at month’s end, so once the Navy is available to support the Kurile landings, operations can begin. That will hopefully be by Sep while the weather will still cooperate.

CENPAC. Little activity other than continued bombing of remaining IJA held islands. Ships are currently assembling for the Guam landings which will be the focus in August. Three divisions and supporting troops are fully prepped and ready to go. Securing Guam will allow a limited, long range, B-29 strategic bombing campaign against targets in the Tokyo area.

SOPAC. US CV strikes did well against IJN shipping around Formosa and Okinawa as the Fleet sortied off northern Luzon, but no major IJN elements responded. The Fleet will continue to provide support to Luzon and the upcoming Formosa landings in August. Will look to release the Fleet towards NOPAC by the end of the month. About half the troops earmarked for the Formosa landings are currently enroute from the Kavieng and Mussau to Saigon. The remaining troops need to be brought up from the Batavia area, and they will sail to Saigon as well as soon as transports can be made available. Most of the units’ planning is complete, or near complete and they should be pretty much ready to embark once all have landed at Saigon, and assault shipping is released from SWPAC’s Luzon landings.

SWPAC. The Philippine campaign is in full swing. Mindanao is largely secured except for Cagayan and the NE tip while Australian troops continue to secure outer islands. The main event is of course Luzon, and the landings at Naga/Legaspi went largely unopposed, with minimal garrisons, and the advance towards Manila has been surprisingly rapid so far. The northern Luzon campaign is just beginning with the Lingayen landings, and securing northern Luzon will be the focus throughout the month - especially gaining the northern Luzon AFs near Aparri. The big question is what to do about Manila, reportedly defended by 80k troops. Will invest the city, but whether or not to attack to seize the base is the question. Jury is still out here.

China. It remains quiet in China, although it does appear that IJA forces are redeploying a bit within their territorial gains. Allied air support out of Chinese bases will increase over the month as supply still remains good, and they will continue to support SE Asia bomber missions on mainland targets. As SE Asia troops close on China itself, will look to link up with a Chinese offensive - but the indications are that the IJA is already pulling out to the east along the coast toward Hong Kong. So, not sure if a Chinese offensive will be needed or practical, but will start moving some additional Chinese Corps south in August.

SE Asia. Continued solid progress as troops take both Bangkok and Saigon and advance into northern Vietnam. IJA defenses appear to be stiffening around Vinh, and Allied troops need to consolidate a bit as the advance has become a bit strung out, and majority of combat power still engaged in and around Bangkok. Supplies remain good, but consolidation is needed. The advance into Malaya continues at a slow pace due to terrain, but can expect a more rapid advance in August as the terrain improves slightly. Have also decided on taking Singapore, and will begin bombarding the base regularly in August with both Heavies and BBs. Will still be a long process to fully liberate the entire peninsula. At sea, the influx of troops and supplies continues at a brisk pace into Cam Ranh Bay and that pace will actually increase in August with Saigon’s port available and the flow of Formosa bound troops heading to embarkation points at Saigon. Lastly, look to establish Heavy Bomber bases in eastern Thailand and Vietnam in August and move the bomber groups forward from Burma bases. Much engineer work needs to be done before that is accomplished however.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1338
31 Jul - 1 Aug 44 - 11/6/2019 5:48:14 PM   
IdahoNYer

31 Jul - 1 Aug 44

Highlights – Big Pescadores bound convoy hit hard by CV air; Lingayen and Iba taken.

Jpn ships sunk:
E: 2
PB: 4
xAK: 7
xAKL: 11
LST: 2

Air loss:
Jpn: 41
Allied: 66

Subwar:
Allies: 4 Attacks, 1 ship hit (PB sunk)

Allied Amph and Airborne Inv:
Iba (SWPAC)
Butuan (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Iba (SWPAC)
Lingayen (SWPAC)
Butuan (SWPAC)
Balabac (SWPAC)
Djailolo (SOPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Lucky timing with the Pescadores convoy, but looks as though Pescadores has been seriously reinforced. Previously thought defense had a Bde sized force - now recon is showing over 40k. Not worth an assault if that is the truth.

West Coast/Admin: Last three CVLs and Essex class CV begin refit/upgrade at Soerabaja.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, Guam Amphib TFs lacking exactly 1 AKA in order to begin loading two divisions and support elements from Tabit and Kusaie. That ship is enroute and will arrive next turn.

In SOPAC, the two CV TFs sortie north and successfully hit a big convoy at Pescadores. Four strikes over two days were opposed by land based CAP which did well against the Hellcat escorts despite being vastly outnumbered - for instance, the first strike of 184 Hellcat and 24 Corsair escorting 136 Helldiver, 81 SBDs and 91 TBFs were met by 36 Oscars, 17 Tojos and 4 Franks. The results were 3 IJA fighters reportedly shot down in exchange for 1 Corsair, 6 Hellcats and an SBD. While the bombers were well protected by escorts, the failure to sweep proved costly. After two days, about 20 transports were reported sunk, with many, many more left burning and 1300 reported troops lost. Air losses were acceptable, but more than necessary: 25 Hellcat, 1 Corsair, 3 Helldiver, and 2 SBDs lost in exchange for 9 Oscars and 3 Tojos. CV TFs will pull back towards the PI, with another CV TF heading to Cam to replenish sorties while the one CV TF at Cam will return back to the fleet. No F6F-3s were exchanged for F6F-5s due to lack of necessary supplies at Cam - hopefully this second TF heading there will have better timing - a big supply convoy is currently offloading. The Amph TFs should complete offloading supplies at Lingayen and Iba and then head to Cam as well. Lastly, the rear area fight continues at its slow pace. In the Moluccas, the Fiji Bde takes one of the last two bases under IJA control, Djailolo, and inflicts about 500 casualties at the cost of only 50. The Bde will continue to advance into the jungle to clear the remaining base at Lolobato. Troops are also looking to land at Manowarki and Biak on the north coast of New Guinea next turn where resistance is only expected to be remnants. The major convoy movements of Formosa bound troops to Saigon continue, with the first convoy expected to arrive in a few days.

In SWPAC, troops secure both Lingayen and Iba without a fight and now begin to move inland to cut Manila off from northern Luzon. Fighters and PBYs are flown into Lingayen and the airfield there is already operational. The drive from the south should take Batangas next turn - the last base south of Manila. While some bases north of Manila look to be garrisoned, they do not appear to be well defended. This is a good thing as I’ve only landed a total of about 3 divisions worth of troops to secure all of north Luzon and advance on Manila from the north. Another division is on one of the convoys heading to Indochina and will reinforce in a week or so. On Mindanao, the 503rd Para Reg’s airborne drop to secure undefended Butuan was a success and the Reg will continue to flow in over the next few days before moving to secure the NE tip of the island. The major need now is to establish Heavy Bomber capable airfields in the Philippines. Bases on both Panay and Palawan are being expanded, however they are currently more suited to support mediums than Heavies. Raids on Manila have proven costly so far due to heavy flak - 6 B-24s lost last turn. Reducing the range to target will help offset some operational losses, but larger airfields are must.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, Bangkok is cleared of resistance, with the last two attacks taking down about 9000 troops at a cost of about 150 men. This frees up the bulk of three Corps worth of troops, most of which will now begin to head towards Indochina. While XV Corps will be reinforced with some artillery to ultimately secure Singapore, the other three Corps will focus on northern Vietnam and linking up with Chinese troops - as well as securing the island of Hainan. A number of those troops earmarked for Hainan are still shuttling in from the DEI, so all this may take a while. As with SWPAC, the biggest challenge is getting AFs built up for Heavies. This is somewhat more challenging here as baseforces in Burma need to be shipped not only around the Malay Peininsula, but avoid the Malacca Straits. Looking at an alternative route to ship them into Victoria Point and then rail/road strat move into Indochina, but Victoria Point needs to be built up a bit more for that to happen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1339
RE: 31 Jul - 1 Aug 44 - 11/6/2019 6:15:33 PM   
jwolf

Probably acceptable losses from LST's point of view; he got the just in time reinforcement he needed at Pescadores. Too bad, it's a nice base.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1340
RE: 31 Jul - 1 Aug 44 - 11/10/2019 5:30:53 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

Probably acceptable losses from LST's point of view; he got the just in time reinforcement he needed at Pescadores. Too bad, it's a nice base.

True....but is it essential enough for a 40k garrison?

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1341
2-3 Aug 44 - 11/10/2019 5:38:40 PM   
IdahoNYer

2-3 Aug 44

Highlights – Saipan’s coastal batteries best US BB bombardment!

Jpn ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Umigiri)
E: 1
PB: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 10
Allied: 12

Subwar:
Allies: 2 Attacks, 2 ships hit (PB sunk, AK dam) Also one US sub crippled by ASW, likely won't make it back to port (80 float dam)

Allied Amph Inv:
Biak (SOPAC)
Manokwari (SOPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Siam Reap (SE Asia)
Surat Thani (SE Asia)
Batangas (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: NSTR.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, I get a nasty surprise when the US BB TF (5BB, DDs) bombarding Saipan gets bested by the CD guns! BBs New Mexico and Tennessee will need some paint and body work at Pearl with system damage in the 20s. At least it wasn’t part of an Amphib invasion; those CDs would have butchered APAs!
With no plans to land at Saipan in the near future, will go back to focusing on Guam. The two damaged BBs are detached and will head to Pearl with a few DD escorts while the remaining three will focus on bombarding Guam - initially from a hopefully safe distance of 20k yards. The Guam Amphib operation officially begins with the US 77th ID beginning to load assault transports at Tabiteuea. Once loaded they will head to Kusaie to link up with the 2nd Mar Div and support troops which will start loading shortly. A third division, the US 38th ID, will remain at Ponape until the first two are ashore due to a lack of assault shipping. Additional support troops and an infantry regiment are also at Rota, and will shuttle across via landing craft. Meanwhile, LBA will focus more on Guam starting next turn with Heavies hitting both the port and AF.

quote:

Night Naval bombardment of Saipan at 108,93 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

315 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
BB New Mexico, Shell hits 24, on fire
BB Tennessee, Shell hits 20, on fire
BB California
BB Pennsylvania
BB Maryland, Shell hits 5

Japanese ground losses:
145 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 25 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 10 (3 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 9 (3 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 16
Port hits 8

OS2U-3 Kingfisher acting as spotter for BB New Mexico
Saipan Naval Fortress firing at BB New Mexico
BB New Mexico firing at Saipan Naval Fortress
Saipan Naval Fortress firing at BB Tennessee
BB Tennessee firing at Saipan Naval Fortress
OS2U-3 Kingfisher acting as spotter for BB California
BB California firing at 35th Ind.Mixed Brigade
OS2U-3 Kingfisher acting as spotter for BB Pennsylvania
BB Pennsylvania firing at Saipan
Saipan Naval Fortress firing at BB Maryland
BB Maryland firing at Saipan Naval Fortress

In SOPAC, the US CV TFs will be reduced to one CV TF off Manila as the other two are in the process of heading to Cam for replenishment - the first one I sent last turn is just off the coast and should head back next turn refueled, rearmed and with new Hellcats if all goes well. The transports have moved off Luzon and are also heading to Cam to replenish and prepare for future operations. In the rear area, troops are landed at both (2 IN Bns) Biak and (1 IN Reg) Manokwari. Biak looks to have a few guns left behind from the two Bdes once there, while Manokwari looks to be abandoned. I expect both to be taken next turn. Elsewhere, I’m scouring the rear area for engineers, baseforces and port support units that are no longer needed in the rear that can be pulled forward to the Philippines. I’m also looking at moving the major US Fleet Train base at Manus forward to Davao once Davao port is built up a bit - that of course includes moving a number of ARDs and ARs which will be a slow and laborious process. Also still on the move are the Formosa Amphib troops, which the first convoy should be docking and offloading next turn at Saigon. Will still be a bit before all will be assembled and prepared, so may use some of the assault transports for use SE Asia first.

In SWPAC, on Luzon, troops continue to advance without meeting opposition. South of Manila, lead elements take Batangas just 40m away. Will consolidate troops here before moving onto Manila, still reported to hold 80+k troops. North of Manila, troops will attack San Fernando next turn and should occupy Cabanatuan and advance on Clark. On Mindanao, the US 25th ID begins its final leg to Cagayan, and once arrived, will attack to secure the base with a 4+ division attack. On the outer islands, an Aussie Bn advances to Bacolod, just north of Cebu, to find it occupied by about 200 troops. Will recon by bombardment before attacking. Heavies rest before resuming the attack on Manila.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, troops close in on Vinh, and one over anxious recon Bn advances onto Vinh and will likely get pulverized if the defenders attack - will pull him back if possible. Vinh is strongly held, and to get around Vinh will require movement into the jungle, which will take some time. Truthfully, I need the time anyway as troops from Bangkok still need to be moved forward, and a massive shifting of engineers and baseforces from Burma to Thailand still needs to take place. While the bases recently taken in eastern Thailand can be expanded to support Heavies, they need a lot of work and the necessary engineers are lacking. I had planned to bring the US 20th Air Force support elements in, but with bases available in northern Luzon, these will be transferred to SOPAC and brought in to the Philippines - so SE Asia will be somewhat short baseforces and engineers until I can get this sorted out. In the drive into Malaya, Surat Thani is taken which allows the attackers to have secondary roads to assist the advance from this point south.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1342
RE: 2-3 Aug 44 - 11/11/2019 1:39:38 PM   
jwolf

IMHO Saipan is the nastiest CenPac base for the CD guns except for Truk. At both bases I had to set the bombardment range out quite a ways in order to minimize damage from the coastal batteries.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1343
RE: 2-3 Aug 44 - 11/17/2019 5:21:42 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

IMHO Saipan is the nastiest CenPac base for the CD guns except for Truk. At both bases I had to set the bombardment range out quite a ways in order to minimize damage from the coastal batteries.

Unfortunately.....I figured that out the old fashioned way!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1344
4-5 Aug 44 - 11/17/2019 5:28:19 PM   
IdahoNYer

4-5 Aug 44

Highlights – Biak and Manokwari taken; advance continues north of Manila.

Jpn ships sunk:
xAK: 2

Air loss:
Jpn: 2
Allied: 17

Subwar:
Allies: 6 Attacks, 1 ship hit (xAK sunk)

Bases Liberated:
San Fernando (SWPAC)
Lubang (SWPAC - flipped)
Biak (SOPAC)
Manokwari (SOPAC)
Cabanatuan (SWPAC)
Kratie (SE Asia)

SIGINT/Intel: Recon confirms what looks to be a major IJA withdrawal from their positions in SW China - most troops along the line SW of Nanning appear to be on the move towards Hong Kong. However, an estimated 50k troops or more remain in northern Vietnam.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, BB TF (3BB, DDs) does much better in bombarding Guam from 20k yds inflicting a few casualties but not suffering from any CD batteries. Will close the range 2k yds each subsequent bombardment and see what happens in the next few turns. 77th ID is afloat on assault shipping at Talib, and will head to Kusaie to link up with the 2nd Mar Div and support elements which has begun loading. Bombers continue to prep Guam as well. Based on the distances involved, will still be about a week before troops come ashore.

In SOPAC, in the rear areas, both Biak and Manokwari are taken without loss - both were level 4 forts, but pretty much abandoned. A few IJA stragglers are still roaming the jungles of New Guinea, but other than using some spare aircraft to bomb, won’t worry too much about them. At sea, the refuel/rearming of the CV TFs continue at Cam Ranh Bay. One CV TF has been completed and resumed station off west of Luzon, one CV TF has swapped out 5 CVs worth of Hellcats for the latest model and will head back to sea next turn, and the last CV TF will head to Cam this coming turn. This will provide all three CV TFs with full sorties avail and full plane loads - once assembled will start looking for targets near Formosa again, although will likely remain in the South China Sea in order to also provide some cover for SE Asia amphibious operations against Hainan and perhaps Kwangchowan. Two CVE TFs will remain to cover the support troop and supply convoys heading to Lingayen, while the other two will detach to SE Asia to cover their amphibious operations. Likewise, most of the assault shipping will work under SE Asia command for a few weeks. The troops earmarked for Formosa have begun landing at Saigon and still need some time to assemble and complete planning. Still looking at later this month to begin landings - assuming airfields in northern Luzon can be made operational to support.

In SWPAC, on Luzon, troops take San Fernando from light opposition of a few support units, and seize Cabanatuan which was undefended. The tank battalion at Cabanatuan will now head towards northern Luzon, while the ID will hold in place for now. Clark AF looks to be defended and troops moving in will recon by bombardment next turn. Subic Bay looks to be undefended and troops advancing there should flip the base next turn. South of Manila, troops consolidate at Batangas awaiting some additional artillery moving in before closing in on Manila. Additional troops are still flowing in, and with the 20th AF switching from SE Asia command to Pacific Ocean Areas, additional baseforces are now available which will start flowing in to Lingayen. Focus in Luzon is to get the AFs in northern Luzon up and running, capable of supporting the Formosa landings, and then continuing to expand them to support B-29s. Manila will be sieged, but that will be a long term process to reduce the defenders. Lastly, finally launching the long awaited attack on Cagayan in Mindanao. Success here will release 4+ divisions for future operations.

In China, Chinese troops begin advancing SW of Nanning as the IJA pulls back. Original plan was to have the Chinese troops fight south to link up with a SE Asia command landing at Kwangchowan to cut off IJA troops to the west - that might not be either necessary or feasible as the IJA has a bit of jump here. Still, it does look like the Chinese can cut the lifeline to Hanoi at a minimum.

In SE Asia, with the IJA pulling out of SW China, recon will focus on bases in Hainan, Pakhoi and Kwangchowan to see if landings can take place. Two Bdes are currently mostly prepped and “available” at Cam Rahn Bay to land on Hainan depending on recon. The troops earmarked, and also mostly prepped, for landing at Kwangchowan are still mostly in the DEI, and just starting to ship to Cam. While the troops in the DEI were prepping to seize Kwangchowan, the bulk of the follow-on forces were to be the Indian IV Corps, most of which was just released from taking Bangkok and is still moving to Vietnam. So, bottom line is we’re not really ready to launch any prepared landings either at Hainan or Kwangchowan with ground troops - although assault transports are available and land based air can range from Tourane and Hue bases. So, depending on what the recon flights observe, may launch with what is available - two Bdes landing at Hainan and then bringing in troops from the DEI to land at Kwangchowan. I have a small window here of available assault transports before they are needed for Formosa. On that note, Saigon port is packed and busy offloading the lead elements for the Formosa landings and more troops are flowing in. Cam Ranh Bay is also jumping with troops arriving for Lingayen and now the added burden on the stevedores of loading troops for Hainan. Lastly, losing the 20th Airforce will cut available baseforces to SE Asia by over 50%, and much of the 10th and 14th Airforce baseforces still need to be moved out of rear areas in Burma and the DEI.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1345
6-7 Aug 44 - 11/18/2019 3:25:01 PM   
IdahoNYer

6-7 Aug 44

Highlights – Cagayan taken on second assault.

Jpn ships sunk:
SC: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 6
Allied: 14

Subwar:
Allies: 3 Attacks, 2 ships hit (SC, AG sunk)

Bases Liberated:
Subic Bay (SWPAC)
Cagayan (SWPAC)
Siargao (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: Initial recon flights indicate Kwangchowan and Pakhoi both not garrisoned which may provide an opportunity to land SE Asia troops to block withdrawing IJA troops in SW China.

In NOPAC, 6th Marine Div arrives at Dutch Harbor along with necessary support. All ground elements now present in the Aleutians for Kuriles; awaiting release of assault shipping from Guam campaign and of course the CV TFs busy in the South China Sea. Clock is ticking to get Kuriles landings done before arctic weather precludes operations until ’45.

In CENPAC, BB TF (3BB, DDs) continues its bombardment of Guam, this time from 18k yards. No response from CD batteries, and damage inflicted is light. Will continue to reduce range. Guam Amphib TFs from both Talib and Kusaie will rendezvous at Ponape next turn as well as linking up with three CVEs to provide cover just in case Truk has some Kamis avail before setting sail to Rota. Air bombardments will now shift to hit primarily ground targets instead of port/AF. While I don’t expect a major response from L_S_T to counter the Guam landings, an MTB/SSX surge is always possible.

In SOPAC, the last CV TFs replenishes at Cam Ranh Bay and will rejoin the Fleet next turn. All three CV TFs, plus the usual accompanying ASW and surface TFs will sortie to the NNW towards the Chinese coast to provide cover for SE Asia amphib landings on Hainan and potentially Kwangchowan. The transport troops earmarked for Formosa continues, with the last Army formations now at sea or boarding transports in the DEI heading to Saigon. Will increase air recon over Formosa, and hopefully can begin bombing targets in the next week from Luzon bases - which should coincide with troops just about set and prepped to board assault transports.

In SWPAC, Cagayan is taken on the second attack, inflicting about 3500 casualties on the defenders, but costing about 2400 Allied losses - although the vast majority are disabled squads. Need to rest the troops for a turn or so before continuing the attack, but the endstate is not in doubt. On Luzon, troops take undefended Subic Bay and will attack both Clark and Vigan next turn. Troops will also start to move on to Manila from the south while all available Heavies and a few mediums will focus on Manila. The US 81st ID, earmarked for Luzon has arrived at Cam Ranh Bay, but its trans-shipment to Luzon will be delayed a bit by the use of assault transports for Hainan. The first two 20th AF baseforces have boarded transports at Cam and will begin the transit to Luzon. I need the baseforces more than additional combat troops at the moment - I have no plans to attack Manila any time soon, although troops will advance onto the base once the majority of the force is assembled. From there, bombardments - ground, air and sea - will be the norm for a while.

In China, three Chinese Corps are currently “in pursuit” of the withdrawing IJA troops SW of Nanning with more following. If SE Asia troops can gain Kwangchowan, an estimated 30k IJA troops may be trapped near Pakhoi.

In SE Asia, with Kiungshan on the north side of the island of Hainan is reportedly undefended, the 100th Indian Bde is prepped, and will land there and troops will march overland to secure Samah. Troops earmarked for Samah were loaded in the DEI and will follow but remain on the assault transports - if additional recon can confirm Kwangchowan is in fact undefended, they will be put ashore there and Samah can wait. I’m trying to accelerate the timetable here by about a month, and doing this on the fly is a risk. Still, transports are available, as are the CVE and CA TFs to provide cover (released from Luzon), but the majority of the intended assault troops for Hainan and Kwangchowan are still either enroute from the DEI or haven’t loaded yet. The follow on troops for Kwangchowan were to be the Indian IV Corps - and they are largely still enroute from Bangkok. So, even if Kwangchowan is undefended, putting a couple of Bdes ashore on mainland China is a risk - they will be fairly exposed until additional troops can reinforce. And most of those reinforcements aren’t positioned in Indochina yet. The main body of the Indian XXXIII Corps is still assembling west of Vinh, and it will be some time yet before they’ll be able to advance beyond Vinh toward Hanoi.

8-9 Aug 44

Highlights – Clark AF taken; proposed amphib landings at Kiungshan and Kwangchowan are a go!

Jpn ships sunk:
xAP: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 18
Allied: 17

Subwar:
Allies: 2 Attacks, 1 ship hit (xAKL sunk)

Bases Liberated:
Clark AF (SWPAC)
Vigan (SWPAC)
Bayombong (SWPAC)
Polillo (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: Further recon flights continue to indicate Kwangchowan and Pakhoi on the Chinese mainland, and Kiungshan, on Hainan are all ungarrisoned, so it’s worth a shot to execute a quick landing with unprepped troops. Recon is also showing Batan Island north of the Philippines also not garrisoned, so will attempt to secure that base with its level 2 AF as soon as possible.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, both naval and air bombardments against Guam continue with minimal success, but the beatings will continue. Amphib TF with 3CVEs providing cover will depart Ponape next turn and head to final staging at Rota where they will rendezvous with the BB, CA and CVE TFs.

In SOPAC, all three CV TFs have taken position east of Hainan to provide cover for the upcoming SE Asia amphibious landings on the coast of China and Hainan. SOPAC troops are still arriving at Saigon for Formosa and recon flights find less than expected IJA concentrations at the initial landing site one the SW corner of the island, at Hengchun. Takao looks to be fairly well defended, but the NE base, Taihoku, looks to be the most heavily defended. Secondary landing targets in the center of the island at Kagi and Taichu appear to be garrisoned, but not well defended. So, once the troops finish assembling at Saigon, and some additional planning time is allotted, Formosa Amphib should embarking in about 1-2 weeks. By that time, assault transports will be returned from SE Asia as well. Tight timeline for a major 3 plus division initial landing, but do-able.

In SWPAC, the advance on northern Luzon continues with Clark Field and Vigan being taken against minimal opposition from support troops. Troops push on from Vigan to Loaog along the west coast while a tank battalion is heading toward the east coast to Tuguegarao and then on to Aparri. The tankers will be followed up by infantry, although it’s not clear whether or not they’ll be needed. The first two 20th Air Force baseforces have arrived at Lingayen from Cam Ranh Bay with many more following in the next few weeks. On Mindanao, troops still need a bit of time to recover before resuming the attack against IJA troops at Cagayan. Additional engineers are arriving at Davao as well in order to increase the port’s capabilities as quickly as possible - ultimately, Davao can be a level 6 port, and until Manila is taken, the best port available in the PI.

In China, two of the three Chinese corps advancing SW of Nanning halt as the IJA have established a rearguard to delay their pursuit. The remaining troops continue to move south, with the objective of linking up with inbound SE Asia troops.

In SE Asia, as mentioned, additional recon has come up with zero IJA units defending Pakhoi and Kwangchowan on the Chinese mainland, and Kiungshan on Hainan. So, the intended landing with the one mostly prepped 100th IN Bde at Kiungshan will go in next turn, but instead of following up with additional troops to follow on to seize Samah, I’m diverting at least the lead Bde to land at Kwangchowan. As its prepped for Samah, it will take serious disablements, but should be able to take the undefended base - as long as it is truly undefended - recon has “missed” enemy units before. A further Bde intended for Samah is already at sea, and will follow on to Kwangchowan once secured. Troops that have actually planned for Kwangchowan, including the well experienced Aus 9th Infantry Div, will follow - but that division is just starting to load at Oosthaven in Sumatra. Troops of the Indian IV Corps have begun arriving at Cam Ranh Bay as well, but they need to transition to combat mode and also board transports. Lastly, I’ve got two airborne Bdes available in eastern Thailand - one of which will attempt to seize the undefended base of Lang Son, just east of Hanoi, and the other will either go into Pakhoi or reinforce at Kwangchowan as the situation develops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 1/4/2020 11:33:13 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1346
8-9 Aug 44 - 11/22/2019 8:28:44 PM   
IdahoNYer

10-11 Aug 44

Highlights – Landings go in at Kiungshan and Kwangchowan, both are undefended, but only Kiungshan falls.

Jpn ships sunk:
CL: 1 (Kuma - replaces Oyodo)
SS: 1 (RO-43)
AO: 1

Jpn ships un-sunk:
CL: 1 (Oyodo)

Allied ships sunk:
SS: 2 (Croaker, Gunnel - both succumbed to bomb damage enroute to ports)

Air loss:
Jpn: 10
Allied: 20

Subwar:
Allies: 3 Attacks, 2 ships hit (AO, xAK sunk)

Kiungshan (SE Asia)
Kwangchowan (SE Asia)
Lang Son (SE Asia)

Bases Liberated:
Kiungshan (SE Asia)
Long Son (SE Asia)
Siquijor (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: IJA troops are in full retreat in SW China, so the Kwangchowan landing is probably a few days too late. SIGINT says an IJN convoy is bringing a division to Okinawa, so the CV TFs will attempt to interdict.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, the Guam Amphib TF is about 6 hexes from Guam and I was tempted to route it directly to Guam and begin the landings, but I stuck with it going to Rota to stage. No rush here. Another turn of BB and air bombardment won’t hurt - they aren’t doing much, but what the heck.

In SOPAC, as mentioned, the CV TFs will head east, transit south of Formosa, and attempt to hit a reported convoy heading to Okinawa. Of course, no idea of the timing of the convoy, it may already be offloading troops. Still, moving the CVs toward the East China Sea isn’t a bad idea anyway - they’ll be in a better position to begin the isolation of Formosa in preparation for landings.

In SWPAC, Manila becomes the focus of every bomber that can range. AFs in range are packed with the bombers and they focus on the AF which is put out of commission, as well as getting some supply hits. Focus will shift to hitting troops as US forces should enter the city next turn from the south. The three divisions and supporting troops will sit tight until more artillery and troops from the north can arrive, and then ground bombardments will begin. A good month or so of bombardments is the plan prior any ground attack. Also, recon shows Batan Island north of Luzon to be undefended, so the much traveled Aussie 2/9 Cdo Bn will attempt to grab the level 2 AF. Batan will allow LBA fighters to range Formosa on normal range, and P-38s to range Okinawa on drop tanks.

In China, the advance SW of Nanning will resume as the IJA looks to be in full retreat. Even if most IJA troops pull east, I’m looking forward to linking up Chinese troops with Commonwealth elements coming ashore!

In SE Asia, the landings at Kwangchowan and Kiungshan go in much as expected - heavy disablements at Kwangchowan, about 50%. The 16th LRP Bde will still take the town next turn, and reinforcing troops should begin landing on the second day. Additional troops will begin flowing in as quickly as they can be shipped, but committing the assault shipping for this transit will only last for a week or so - most will be pulled for the Formosa landings. And with the IJA moving east quicker than expected, there is little incentive to delay Formosa. LBA will still attempt to hit the withdrawing troops to slow them down, including basing an A-20 group to Liuchow in China to range targets, but I doubt many IJA troops can be cut off as the main body of troops coming ashore - the Aus 9th Div and Indian 5th Div are still a few days out. Lang Son is taken by the 50th Indian Para Bde via airborne assault, just as an IJA unit looks to be heading east toward the base. Between taking Lang Son and the landings at Kwangchowan, IJA troops remaining in Indochina are effectively cut off. On Hainan, Kiungshan is taken undefended, and troops will be brought in as shipping is available to take Samah. Kiungshan AF is taken intact, and fighters are brought in to provide CAP. Both CVE TFs will remain to support the flow of troops until they are needed for Formosa, although at this point, I don’t see L_S_T throwing Kamikazes at anything west of Formosa.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 1/4/2020 11:33:55 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1347
12-13 Aug 44 - 11/26/2019 5:27:04 PM   
IdahoNYer

12-13 Aug 44

Highlights – Batan Is and Kwangchowan taken; US CV TFs sink ASW TF enroute to the East China Sea.

Jpn ships sunk:

Air loss:
Jpn: 5

Subwar:

Batan Is (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Vientiane (SE Asia)
Tuguegarao (SWPAC)
Batan Is (SWPAC)
Kwangchowan (SE Asia)
Nakhon Si Thammarat (SE Asia)

SIGINT/Intel: Japanese airforce is just not flying - even the ASW patrols seem to be less. No CAP on vulnerable targets - supply situation must be very critical. Will be interesting to see if CAP flies over Formosa and/or Okinawa.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, the Guam Amphib TF is about 6 hexes from Guam and I was tempted to route it directly to Guam and begin the landings, but I stuck with it going to Rota to stage. No rush here. Another turn of BB and air bombardment won’t hurt - they aren’t doing much, but what the heck.

In SOPAC, the CV TFs transit south of Formosa hitting an ASW TF in the Formosa Straits, sinking three SCs. CVs will continue east then northeast into the East China Sea to cover approaches to Okinawa. The last division and support elements earmarked for Formosa arrived in Saigon last turn. One Bde remains in Batavia as a “garrison” until it is relieved by an Indian Bde enroute. Most units still need about a week or so of prep time, and will start loading in about a week. An Australian Bde currently in Borneo, and support units will start loading for Orchid Island, just off the SE coast of Formosa next turn. This small scale invasion should precede the main event and it will be a good indicator of whether or not L_S_T will fly Kamikazes to defend Formosa.

In SWPAC, an undefended Batan island is taken by 2/9 Cdo, and the AF taken intact. P-38s are flown in and will fly sweeps over Okinawa in support of the anticipated CV airstrikes. Should have enough supply on site for at least one sweep, and aviation support will start arriving via air. On Luzon, Army tankers take undefended Tuguegarao and will head to Aparri, also reportedly undefended. Infantry should secure Bataan next turn as well, leaving only Laoag in the NW corner, defended by a few remnants. Manila is invested by US ground forces - three divisions and much supporting artillery and armor advanced in from the south. Another division and additional support will move in next turn from the north. More will follow - another division is north of the city, another is awaiting transit in Saigon, and a third is in convoy from the States. Once fighting is done in Mindanao, will look to see if these troops are needed in Luzon. On that note, the troops at Cagayan have recovered enough for another go at the remaining IJA troops at Cagayan, and the Para Reg will attack to take Surigao on the NE tip of Mindanao.

In China, troops continue to move south pursuing the withdrawing IJA troops.

In SE Asia, Kwangchowan is taken, and another Bde is in the process of offloading. The withdrawing IJA troops are subject to effective bombing attacks from 3+ groups of mediums which inflict over 3500 casualties in numerous attacks - none opposed by CAP. While the bombing is effective, and attacks will continue, the chance to encircle these troops is doubtful. The Indian 5th ID and the Aus 9th IN are still a few days out from landing - by the time they arrive, the IJA troops will likely be well to the east. Additional infantry, armor and support troops are loading at Cam Ranh Bay and will also be shipped to Kwangchowan, but truthfully, I’m not sure that this is necessary at this point - the opportunity to trap 50k+ IJA troops is likely past. But they will have a role to play relieving the paratroops that took Lang Son and continuing to attack towards Hanoi from the east. In any case, available assault shipping will be severely cut within a week. In Vietnam, the XXXIII Corps continues to assemble its combat power around Vinh, and it will be a few days before enough troops can assemble before an attack is made. The XV Corps continues its slow progress south in the Malayan Peninsula, still being delayed more by terrain than any established defenses.

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 1/4/2020 11:34:19 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1348
14-15 Aug 44 - 11/26/2019 11:31:48 PM   
IdahoNYer

14-15 Aug 44

Highlights – Guam landings go in; fighting ends at Cagayan as IJA resistance ends.

Jpn ships sunk:
AV: 1
xAP: 1
LST: 1
ACM: 2

Allied ships sunk:
SS: 1 (Thorough)

Air loss:
Jpn: 4

Subwar:

Allied Amph Inv:
Guam (CENPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Bataan (SWPAC)
Surigao (SWPAC)
Dinagat (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Sub sights big IJN support convoy moving in the East China Sea - assuming its heading to Nagasaki - which may be worth a look by CV TF air search.

West Coast/Admin: CV Hancock arrives at Balboa. She’s the first “Long hulled” Essex class CV to arrive, and doesn’t need a refit until Jan ’45. She also arrives with the usual lackluster pilots which had to be exchanged with veteran pilots, so her arrival and another CVE, the US Navy fighter pilot pools are reduced by about 40%. Hancock will head to Los Angeles to pick up a NF Hellcat squadron to round out her air complement, and then sail to join the fleet.

In NOPAC, Amchitka based subs have been venturing into the Sea of Japan on a more regular basis, and although targets remain slim, the SS Lionfish found a big fat AO off Vladivostock - and missed of course, but I think she found the port being used to ship fuel/oil out of Manchukuo - Rashin. Will vector a few more subs to the vicinity, and put it on the list to mine once B-29s can get into range.

In CENPAC, the Guam Amphib goes in and two divisions plus support are landed without problems. The Amph TFs are offloaded and one will head to Ponape to bring in another division, and the other will move across to Rota to bring in an infantry regiment. Will hold off any attacks until the entire force is assembled, leaving more time for the naval and air bombardments to continue their work. Also, the two BBs damaged by Saipan’s CDs arrive at Pearl - they’ll need about 3 weeks to repair.

In SOPAC, the CV TFs move into the East China Sea to a point about 120m NW of Okinawa and hit a small convoy at Amani Oshima - sinking an AV, AG and 3SC. Not the big convoy carrying an IJA division reported by SIGINT, which I now believe has headed back to Nagasaki, or has not loaded out from there yet. Either way, Nagasaki may be worth while exploring, but will need to be able to sweep first - and the CVs are too far away right now to plot effective sweeps. So, the CV TFs will enter a bit deeper into the East China Sea, but remain about 7 hexes off Nagasaki - close enough to plan sweeps for some fighter squadrons on normal range. Will try to get some better intel from air search and perhaps some recon before launching any strikes over a major Japanese port.

In SWPAC, troops wipe out the last IJA defenders of Cagayan in two attacks - IJA losses reported at over 16k while Allied losses were limited to just over 500, the vast majority disabled. Surigao is also taken, and the remnants of Davao’s defense were brought to combat in the eastern jungles of Mindanao, losing the vast majority of their force. The four US divisions and NZ Bdes at Cagayan are now “available” for future operations. All have a number of disabled squads, but nothing dramatic. The one SWPAC HQ division will plan for Manilla and move to Luzon as soon it can move to Davao and transports can be gathered. Two divisions and the New Zealanders will plan for landing at that same Amani Oshima that the CV TFs hit shipping near this turn. The fourth division will reinforce the Formosa landings and will plan for Taihoku on the eastern tip of Formosa. Also need to remission the troops earmarked for the Pescadores - recon is still reporting 40k or more defenders, so the two or so Aussie divisions currently planning aren’t enough, and I’ll bypass unless a sizeable amount of the defenders are pulled out. On Luzon, troops secure an abandoned Bataan - only mines remaining that need to be swept.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, the British 29th IN Bde begins moving out of Kwangchowan, but will be way too late to prevent the IJA exodus towards Canton. The 5th Indian Div has arrived and will start offloading next turn, and the Aus 9th Division should arrive in the next turn or two. While LBA keeps hitting the withdrawing IJA troops with good effect, the Allied ground units won’t likely catch the fleeing IJA. If that pans out, the majority of the Allied troops will head west towards Hanoi, leaving the majority of the pursuit to the Chinese. I have no plans to try and force a crossing across a river to seize Canton or Hong Kong from the west. Long term, SE Asia command troops will look for future amphibious operations along the Chinese coast, but that won’t happen for a long while. In the meantime, focus will be to link up with Chinese troops and establish a supply route to the Chinese from the South China Sea ports - ultimately Hanoi/Haiphong. Ground troops in Vietnam are still assembling near the IJA positions in and around Vinh, and will attempt to prevent this force from withdrawing behind the rivers around Haiphong. The Indian XV Corps is still working towards Singapore overland, and should be engaging enemy troops near Singora in the next few turns. Although Singers is still a long way away from a ground assault, BBs Valiant and Queen Elizabeth will begin bombardment runs starting next turn. With the BBs available, no time like the present to start reducing the 30k+ defenders down.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 1/4/2020 11:34:49 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1349
RE: 12-13 Aug 44 - 11/27/2019 1:27:56 PM   
jwolf

Seems like really fast progress now. I wonder when you will hit an ambush or some really hardened defense. Whatever logistic troubles LST has, I'm sure he has something, somewhere, waiting for you.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1350
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 17-18 Jul 44 Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI