Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sale = I am new player! Could use some help.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/26/2019 9:05:27 PM   
KaiLae

Got game today after watching the XTRG vs Historical gamer youtube series, which I'm greatly enjoying. I'd link it but apparently that's not allowed. Problem is that I'm having issues getting the game running as I'd like, so I have a few questions:

1. I have a ultrawide monitor (2560x1080). Can I run it windowed with this setting? The readme says...maybe, using switches. I used several of these, some of them worked but changing the screen size did not. I would like to use the whole monitor, and windowed since I believe I'll need to be constantly referring to the manual or help posts while I learn to play.

2. The graphics shown starting in the second session of the series looks greatly preferable to what I'm seeing. I assume there's a way to get that in some fashion. Generally, looks similar to what I see in War in the East. Could someone help me out with that?

I'm sure I'll have more things later, but this should allow me to get started. Thanks for any help you can give.
Post #: 1
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/26/2019 9:16:49 PM   
Enforcer

1- Get Seabees https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4415089 and use these settings

2- Get the 2 patches-
Update v1.01.26a- https://www.matrixgames.com/member/downloads/war-in-the-pacific-admirals-edition
and
Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b- https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185062

3- Install the patches

4- Launch seabees and choose these options:
-multi-core- SingleCpuOrders
-pick core- cpu4
-enable 32- Deepcolor
-directdraw- dd_sw
-multi-core audio- multiaudio
-display mode- fd
-force resolution- yes and try 1920x1080 first
-use Alternate- altfont
-skip inrto- skipvideo.. (maybe the first run you should watch it..it is pretty good)
-Get it to work- select manual browse and click build shortcut

Tell us if it works.. I hope I did not miss anything

< Message edited by Enforcer -- 11/26/2019 9:26:01 PM >

(in reply to KaiLae)
Post #: 2
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/27/2019 1:12:38 AM   
KaiLae

Generally worked great, but the graphics are still not what I'm looking for. PM'ed you a response for that as I can't link anything.

(in reply to Enforcer)
Post #: 3
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/27/2019 1:25:12 AM   
Anachro

KaiLae, I'm not sure what graphics you are referring to, but I'm guessing you want one of the various map art modifications which you can find on the forums. Unfortunately, Chemkid, the creator of the most popular map pack (the one I think XTRG uses), went AWOL and also deleted all his stuff. Some kind souls did save most of this and you should be able to find the map mod you are looking for in the Scenario Design and Modding subforum. Actually, here you go, the kind soul saved Chemkid's work in dropbox:

Dropbox Link

However, if I may say so, I find MakeeLearn's map to be the best there is, a great compromise between Chemkid's artwork and trying to preserve clarity of projection.

MakeeLearn's Bellum Pacifica Map

(in reply to KaiLae)
Post #: 4
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/27/2019 2:39:16 AM   
BBfanboy

I took the graphics issue to be the recommended resolution not working well with his combination of monitor/video card/Win 10 restrictions.
The key is to click on the user's desktop and find the native resolutions that are offered and choose one of those. It may not be the highest resolution because Win 10 does not willingly hide the task bar.

The other thing some users get confused about is that the initial screens on start up are not meant to be full screen displays (the radio dial setting screen). You don't see what your game switch resolution is doing until you start a scenario and look at the game map.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 5
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/27/2019 2:54:36 AM   
KaiLae

Everything is good now other than the map art style. I'd show you what I'm looking for, but the forums refuse to let me.

Will check the map mods. Assuming the ChemKid map is the one I'm looking for, how do you install it?

< Message edited by KaiLae -- 11/27/2019 3:01:55 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/27/2019 3:02:31 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: KaiLae

Everything is good now other than the map art style. I'd show you what I'm looking for, but the forums refuse to let me.

Will check the map mods.

Be careful with map mod installations - they can be tricky because some maps are extended with extra bases and islands (like one separating Aden from Abadan) and some maps having stacking limits in every land hex, not just the bases.
Be aware that the map art is eye candy for you, but the heart of the map is the set of files that the computer uses to get all the information on bases, roads, railroads, geography, and passability of hex sides. It is probably best to get the game up and running on the stock map before playing with player-devised mods.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to KaiLae)
Post #: 7
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/27/2019 11:23:19 AM   
Enforcer

KaiLae.. ChemKid is the map you are looking for

(in reply to KaiLae)
Post #: 8
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/27/2019 11:57:10 AM   
JohnDillworth

In the past I have had problems with some of hte switches when I do a cut and paste. Carefully typing them in sometimes works better

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Enforcer)
Post #: 9
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/27/2019 5:07:24 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Will check the map mods. Assuming the ChemKid map is the one I'm looking for, how do you install it?

You need a few more posts before you can embed pictures.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to KaiLae)
Post #: 10
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 2:36:08 AM   
KaiLae

Ok so there is apparently a pile of good useful mods that I might want to make use of. However, I'm not sure how you install them. The map mod for example, I'm not sure how you actually get it running? I assume you back up a directory and replace, but not sure which one that is.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 3:19:02 AM   
Kull

quote:

Ok so there is apparently a pile of good useful mods that I might want to make use of. However, I'm not sure how you install them. The map mod for example, I'm not sure how you actually get it running? I assume you back up a directory and replace, but not sure which one that is.

You are focusing on the wrong things. Mods of any kind are what you add once you have some idea what's going on.

A lot of new players are like guys who just made the jump from High School football to the NFL. And having done that, by all means, don't watch game film or listen to your coaches. What's really important is to pay attention to your brand of cleats and how shiny your helmet is, because really, how hard could it be? Right? It's still football.

Don't be those guys. Learn.the.game.

(in reply to KaiLae)
Post #: 12
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 5:12:21 AM   
Pax25

quote:

ORIGINAL: Enforcer

1- Get Seabees https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4415089 and use these settings

2- Get the 2 patches-
Update v1.01.26a- https://www.matrixgames.com/member/downloads/war-in-the-pacific-admirals-edition
and
Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b- https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185062

3- Install the patches

-pick core- cpu4
-enable 32- Deepcolor
-directdraw- dd_sw
-display mode- fd
-use Alternate- altfont
-skip inrto- skipvideo.. (maybe the first run you should watch it..it is pretty good)

Thank you for posting this. Someone should really sticky it.

I'm a new player as well who took advantage of the holiday sale. Following these instructions made a huge difference in my game's appearance and performance. I was enjoying the game, but the outdated graphics and terrible performance would have driven me nuts.

(in reply to Enforcer)
Post #: 13
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 5:28:11 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pax25

quote:

2- Get the 2 patches-
and

3- Install the patches

-pick core- cpu4
-enable 32- Deepcolor
-directdraw- dd_sw
-display mode- fd
-use Alternate- altfont

I'm a new player as well who took advantage of the holiday sale. Following these instructions made a huge difference in my game's appearance and performance. I was enjoying the game, but the outdated graphics and terrible performance would have driven me nuts.

Back when the game was in development the team decided that it was more important to have a game engine that could handle all the detection and combat calculations and keep track of the status of thousands of units/ships/devices/squadrons/aircraft/bases etc. as opposed to putting in a lot of pretty graphics of ships and aircraft maneuvering. The result is not eye-catching until you immerse yourself in following all the clues that tell you what is going on in that simple animation screen - read the text, watch the hits and note what caliber they are, actively estimate how things are going as a commander of your TFs would.

The relatively staid game face belies the tremendous excitement you will get when you have worked for dozens of turns to bring about a clash or avoid one. And the randomness injected into so many elements of the battle always means tension. IOW, give the game time to work its charm on you rather than look for a pretty face!

(in reply to Pax25)
Post #: 14
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 5:39:59 AM   
Pax25

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pax25

quote:

2- Get the 2 patches-
and

3- Install the patches

-pick core- cpu4
-enable 32- Deepcolor
-directdraw- dd_sw
-display mode- fd
-use Alternate- altfont

Back when the game was in development the team decided that it was more important to have a game engine that could handle all the detection and combat calculations and keep track of the status of thousands of units/ships/devices/squadrons/aircraft/bases etc. as opposed to putting in a lot of pretty graphics of ships and aircraft maneuvering. The result is not eye-catching until you immerse yourself in following all the clues that tell you what is going on in that simple animation screen - read the text, watch the hits and note what caliber they are, actively estimate how things are going as a commander of your TFs would.

The relatively staid game face belies the tremendous excitement you will get when you have worked for dozens of turns to bring about a clash or avoid one. And the randomness injected into so many elements of the battle always means tension. IOW, give the game time to work its charm on you rather than look for a pretty face!

I think you missed my point.

I get it that the game is incredibly deep and mostly texted based. I am an experienced wargamer. Playing games like The Operational Art of War, etc. for years.

However, in this case, when you own a modern laptop with Windows 10 and you attempt to play this game without any modifications, the game is almost unplayable. For example, it would take 5 to 10 seconds just to select a unit. Once a unit was selected, the map would barely scroll at all. These are just basic functions that would turn anybody off who doesn't have the skills to modify his computer.

This Seabee program was excellent and fixed all the issues I was having. It had nothing to do with adding eye candy.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 11:00:14 AM   
Enforcer

Yes I knew that from the private message KaiLae sent me.. That other stuff was a copy and past "just in case" any other issue popped up. KaiLae knew that

(in reply to Pax25)
Post #: 16
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 11:45:38 AM   
BBfanboy

You are right Pax25 - I misinterpreted your comment about graphics to mean a desire for the eye candy kind, like prettier maps.
Glad to hear you have your expectations in the right place!

BTW, the whole switches thing is not exactly the game's fault. It was designed when Win XP was the leading OS, and many of the game's routines used "hooks" into the Win XP OS to perform their functions. As Microsoft brought out newer Windows versions they did away with many of the OS routines the game needed to run well. The hardware was also changing rapidly with different BIOS routines.

I think the Matrix development team are the ones who invented the switches to tell the game how to interact with various combinations of Computer hardware, Windows versions/Graphics Card software and Monitor drivers. They may be a pain to get set up for your particular system, but it is a brilliant way to have a flexible means of ensuring almost all systems can run the game reasonably well. Kudos to them and to the forumites like Kovar who have helped us all get our systems playing well (even if the operator does not!) .

(in reply to Pax25)
Post #: 17
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 12:53:45 PM   
rockmedic109

Pax25-
When I got a new laptop with Win10, I had a hard time getting AE to run. I ran into the same problems you did. It required the proper switches to run and I had mistyped one of them and it took me awhile to determine what I did wrong. Once set up right, the game absolutely flew.

Welcome to the obsession that is AE.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 8:51:45 PM   
KaiLae

After making this thread, I found a similar one (which I still can't link to) in the tech support forum (Fresh install - What patch and Utlilities i need?) which lists the following steps:

1. Ok, from a fresh install, first install the official update:

2. After you install this, install the Beta update, in the first post click on the "Attachment (1) ". You start the game from a new shortcut on your desktop that says "War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition (Beta)"

3. After this, install all of the Patch 07 unofficial data scen updates by Andy Mac, those are unofficial but everybody uses them. They are made by one of the devs of the game. Install everything into the SCEN folder, NOT! the default game folder.

4. Now when your game is updated, we can install all the mods.

here are all of the Chemkids maps in a single file, first backup your ART folder (just in case):

5. And for the "Unified Art Mod", also unpack everything in your game folder. If something goes wrong, or you don't like it, just delete the ART folder and copy the backed up back in:

This is what I want. Only thing is after downloading the Chemkids map, it's not at all clear how to install it as the directories in the zip file don't correspond to any in the game directory. Could someone help me out with this please?

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 19
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/28/2019 11:38:42 PM   
Enforcer

KaiLae,

I sent you a PM

Enforcer

(in reply to KaiLae)
Post #: 20
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/29/2019 8:51:23 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

You are focusing on the wrong things. Mods of any kind are what you add once you have some idea what's going on.

A lot of new players are like guys who just made the jump from High School football to the NFL. And having done that, by all means, don't watch game film or listen to your coaches. What's really important is to pay attention to your brand of cleats and how shiny your helmet is, because really, how hard could it be? Right? It's still football.

Don't be those guys. Learn.the.game.

Sage advice. Listen to Kull.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 21
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/29/2019 8:54:23 PM   
rustysi

quote:

2- Get the 2 patches-
and

3- Install the patches

-pick core- cpu4
-enable 32- Deepcolor
-directdraw- dd_sw
-display mode- fd
-use Alternate- altfont

It is my understanding the you don't need to load 1126a and 1126b separately, 1126b includes both. Anyone else?

(in reply to Enforcer)
Post #: 22
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/29/2019 9:17:43 PM   
Trugrit

I would load them separately.

1126a first then 1126b

The 1126a changes the map. It will overwrite all the map files and I think map hex data as well.
This maybe data the 1126b depends on and I'm not sure the Beta will do that in reverse.

The official update 1126a is the important one.
You can live without the 1126b, I'm not sure that is true in reverse.

There is a way to test for this.

Start a PBEM. Japanese player loads both. Allied player just the 1126b
and see if there is a data mismatch.

I think there might be.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 23
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/29/2019 9:47:13 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

It is my understanding the you don't need to load 1126a and 1126b separately, 1126b includes both. Anyone else?

This is correct. All you need to install is the latest beta, it includes prior changes.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 24
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/29/2019 11:14:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I would load them separately.

1126a first then 1126b

The 1126a changes the map. It will overwrite all the map files and I think map hex data as well.
This maybe data the 1126b depends on and I'm not sure the Beta will do that in reverse.

The official update 1126a is the important one.
You can live without the 1126b, I'm not sure that is true in reverse.

There is a way to test for this.

Start a PBEM. Japanese player loads both. Allied player just the 1126b
and see if there is a data mismatch.

I think there might be.

Trugrit, I think you are confusing 1126a with the last official patch 1124. 1126a is also a beta, but it does not have all the tweaks of 1126b. I did install 1124 before I loaded the 1126a beta. There are quite a few user interface changes from 1124 to the beta, like more base information data in the pop-ops for your bases.
I am not sure the stuff about the map changing is true either. I think the stacking limit and extended maps have to be loaded after the game is installed. 1126a at least sticks with the stock map.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 25
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/29/2019 11:58:01 PM   
sfbaytf

I used to be decent at this. 2 full PBEM games when WiTP and AE first came out. After a hiatus of years I re-installed and played the Coral Sea vs the AI. Yorktown and Lexington sunk. Game over.

I also played the first turn of the full campaign vs AI and saved-not going to bother till I re-learn the system. The first turn as the Allied's vs AI is basically watch and endure the beatings anyway...

Its like learning how to walk all over again. Actually more like learning how to crawl, walk, run again.

The latest version supports widescreen apparently, but I haven't figured how to get that working yet. I remember some great map mods and I'll have to figure out how to get those installed. This game is a freaking beast. I wonder if another version is planned. I absolutely love the air system from War in the West and would love to see it implemented in the Pacific as well as changes to reflect the advance of computers and wargaming in general, but may not be economically feasible these days.

< Message edited by sfbaytf -- 11/30/2019 12:01:07 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 26
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/30/2019 12:03:17 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sfbaytf
I absolutely love the air system from War in the West and would love to see it implemented in the Pacific .

I hope not. From what I understand, the air system in WiTW is very much abstracted and generalized. I likes my over-the-top detail immersion with the air war in WiTP:AE just fine. Does WiTW have a pilot-by-pilot training regimen to focus their training? How about tracking individual airframe 'fatigue' levels for the airframe as well as the pilot? I could go on and on.

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 27
RE: Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. - 11/30/2019 12:21:53 AM   
sfbaytf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sfbaytf
I absolutely love the air system from War in the West and would love to see it implemented in the Pacific .

I hope not. From what I understand, the air system in WiTW is very much abstracted and generalized. I likes my over-the-top detail immersion with the air war in WiTP:AE just fine. Does WiTW have a pilot-by-pilot training regimen to focus their training? How about tracking individual airframe 'fatigue' levels for the airframe as well as the pilot? I could go on and on.

I'll have to defer to you on that as you make valid points. Both are the works of the master GG. Maybe he can figure out how to combine the best of 2 worlds.

In the interest of brainstorming and throwing out ideas for debate, I would love to see the card and strategic focus concepts demonstrated in Decisive Campaigns Barborossa considered for a PTO game. I've already mentioned that in the Warplan forum. There is a PTO variant that has been given the go ahead by Matrix. I mentioned WitP.

Well now that I've thrown that out for debate, feel free to dive bomb and strafe my crazy ideas. ;)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Sale = I am new player! Could use some help. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI