Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

proficiency check

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> proficiency check Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
proficiency check - 12/29/2019 5:46:01 PM   
carll11

I am failing 'proficiency' checks it seems every 2-3 turns( example- the Vietnam invasion scen.) ........I have read the manual, but I am missing something, would someone please provide a an overview of this proficiency issue, re; how to stay out of it, manage it etc.?
Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: proficiency check - 12/31/2019 5:15:12 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

I am failing 'proficiency' checks it seems every 2-3 turns( example- the Vietnam invasion scen.) ........I have read the manual, but I am missing something, would someone please provide a an overview of this proficiency issue, re; how to stay out of it, manage it etc.?
Thank you.

Better minds than mine can probably address this issue, but it seems to be referred to in section 14.2 of the manual.

I haven't found much in the manual about how to avoid the issue but it seems to have something to do w/ the Force Proficiency Value (that I think is set by the scenario designer? not sure ....)

This is a mystery to me, too ... e.g. in my last turn in Tobruk '41, I failed this check after only one round of combat and very little movement except for attacking units. Seems to be a dice roll. Always a chance to fail, and not much you can do to mitigate, but I will look at some old manuals to see if they offer any insight ....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 2
RE: proficiency check - 12/31/2019 8:31:30 PM   
mdanz

The silence on this one is deafening.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: proficiency check - 12/31/2019 8:48:32 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdanz

The silence on this one is deafening.

I'll bet that Mr. Cross might have insight ...
or maybe this is an area that is intended to be and remains mysterious?

I (for one) find that not pushing my troops too hard,
will help at combat check.

OTOH, as w/ Tobruk '41 last move, it just hits.
Not sure.

Maybe it is one of the game mechanics, that says, roll the dice?
And you never know when it might hit?

Not sure ....

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 12/31/2019 8:49:01 PM >

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 4
RE: proficiency check - 1/1/2020 12:47:50 AM   
Curtis Lemay

This has been discussed plenty of times before, but for now, I can only find this statement of mine in the Battlefield Timestamp article:

"(note that Force Proficiency Failures are not changed by the BTS system – they are legitimate checks on force plans based upon how organized the force is)"

Remember that TOAW is IGOUGO. Your forces get to move while your enemy's forces must stand and wait. If there is no check on the exploitation of that fact, every force would get to carve the enemy up like a surgical strike. That should only be possible for the very best forces. Crummier forces should be well incentivized to plan for less complex combat sequences. Force Proficiency failures do just that. If you've got a crummier force, plan on fewer combat phases by expecting more than one combat round to get expended per phase, especially as you near the end of the turn.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: proficiency check - 1/1/2020 3:44:08 AM   
r6kunz

Bob, thanks for chiming in. I think your assessment checks on the IGOUGO system is spot-on. (I like the word "uncentivized")

As Molkte said in 1871:
The tactical result of an engagement forms the base for new strategic decisions because victory or defeat in a battle changes the situation to such a degree that no human acumen is able to see beyond the first battle.

and has been since frequently paraphrased:
No plan survives contact with the enemy

I fear some players are frustrated when their plan is truncated by the gods of war.
I welcome/tolerate the Proficiency Failures and Variable Initiative to equalize my ambitious plan. I play/design for historical accuracy and not game results.
Just my 2 dong worth

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 6
RE: proficiency check - 1/1/2020 6:07:50 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

Thank you.

Do not break down your units if you don't have to. It will increase the chance of a failed formation proficiency check.
Do not grind down your units in combat if you don't have to. The more losses you take the greater the chance of a failed formation proficiency check.
Keep your units health as green as possible. Trying to keep readiness and supply as high as possible makes a difference. You cannot continually move units with total disregard. There are cumulative consequences. Consider them as people that get tired and equipment that breaks.
Unfortunately there are random rolls that you cannot control.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 7
RE: proficiency check - 1/1/2020 7:45:07 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

Just my 2 dong worth

Let us know when you find a reliable supplier of Trente-trois.

Cheers

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 8
RE: proficiency check - 1/1/2020 2:28:28 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Players may want to peruse my article on round management here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2231066

It discusses some strategies that may be useful for crummy forces to employ.

Be aware that it is quite old, and some of it may be obsoleted by the BTS thingy.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 1/1/2020 2:29:10 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 9
RE: proficiency check - 1/2/2020 5:53:54 PM   
carll11

First, Thank you all for responding. I will give Curtiss' thread especially and the rest of the the advice serious thought.

I will say in the situation which got me to the point of making this comment I totally get the reorg thing, especially for units that have been roughly handled and arent exactly enthusiastic (Italians )and that a part of this game system I like as it adds a realism not found in other games.

But the situation that the final blown check found me in made me postal. The units has been pulled ( 80% intact as whole orgs too) from combat and had been sitting under C&C, fortified, untouched, no combat zip nada for 3 full turns ( outside Derna) .....they were at approx. 50% Prof. and bam enemy shows up, ( NOT engaged) and my whole Div. goes orange, of course the brits blew right threw them as they're def. at 50% value as orange etc etc ...just seemed way to arbitrary to me.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 10
RE: proficiency check - 2/21/2020 7:17:38 PM   
TheeWarLord

I also experienced an increase of failed proficiency checks on a scenario I often played. Interestingly, it was two turns in a row on the same combat round. This a scenario with a 70% proficiency force, I have often squeezed numerous battle rounds, and now just two battle rounds = 40% used, and turn over, twice in a row, never happend before.

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> proficiency check Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI