Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which games will be translated

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Which games will be translated Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which games will be translated - 7/9/2003 3:46:05 AM   
JeF

Hello,

I noticed the vacant positions for translators.
I always assumed Matrix Games releases english only games. Now a couple of questions cross my mind :

Which games will be translated ?
In which language ? (we already had a glimpse of a french screenshot of Battlefiled!)
Which part of the games will be translated ? The tutorial, the gmae UI, the full manual, all of the above ?

Thanks,

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone
Post #: 1
*BUMP* - 7/12/2003 3:24:53 AM   
JeF

Doesn't the question deserve an answer ?

JeF.

The Drop Zone

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 2
- 7/14/2003 8:54:19 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

When we decide on who we are going to hire and what langauges they can do then we will decide on what games we want translated.

It also depends on what sales of simlar games are like in a country. So market forces will also dictate what gets translated.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 3
- 7/14/2003 9:13:06 AM   
Ian Packham

Well obviously LC will do the French translation, Marc the German translation and Ross the Aussie translation. He wouldn't give a XXXX for anything else.:)

PS I'm not a complaining Pom just a tight-arsed Jock!:cool:

That's the view of a few vociferous idiots here whose politics are to the right of Ghengis Khan and defend their hatred of foreigners and minorities with the idea that they are practicing patriotism rather than bigotry.

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 4
- 7/14/2003 3:40:28 PM   
U2

Hey Ross do you guys realize that most finns speak and read Swedish??? I'm not saying you should not translate into finnish (great people, I like them a lot) but Swedish would fix two hardcore wargaming countries...oh the Danes/Norweigans can read Swedish too!:)

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 5
- 7/14/2003 6:38:17 PM   
U2

Taken from the Lonely Planet Finland guide:D

"Language: Finnish & Swedish"

For all those that does not know

Swedish is a language that Finns also speak, we the Swedes do not understand Finnish.

Both Danish and Norweigan is related to Swedish so we can talk to each other and read books in all three languages.

The ONLY language non of us Scandinavians can even remotely understand is Finnish, except for the nice Finns of course :)

So it is beyond me why Battlefront.com has a Finnish speaking opponent forum:D Should be Swedish/Danish/Norweigan AND Finnish, for the ones who feel comfortable with that, but I do not expect an American company to know much about distant Scandinavia.....
This way four nations could communicate instead of one

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 6
- 7/15/2003 2:45:26 AM   
JeF

Ross,

Thanks for the answer.

It's clear now. "First let's see what we can do with the people we have at hand, ..." ;)
And "no promise until we have a clear view." Sounds safe for a small company like MatrixGames.

Cheers,

JeF.

The Drop Zone

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 7
- 7/15/2003 3:32:59 AM   
U2

Indeed JeF. Eventhough they might not get all languages listed or all games translated it is a nice gesture from such a small company and that Battlefront now have non English forums. I guess it helps expand the wargaming crowd too, English is not spoken by all of us.

Hope it goes well with getting good people for the jobs :)

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 8
- 7/15/2003 3:44:40 AM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by U2
[B]Hey Ross do you guys realize that most finns speak and read Swedish??? I'm not saying you should not translate into finnish (great people, I like them a lot) but Swedish would fix two hardcore wargaming countries...oh the Danes/Norweigans can read Swedish too!:) [/B][/QUOTE]

NOOOOOooooooo!!!! Finns don't want to read Swedish manuals or play games that have Swedish language in them (excluding Swedish speaking minority ofcourse, hehe).

And I'm not kidding. :p

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 9
- 7/15/2003 3:46:40 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keke
[B]

And I'm not kidding. :p [/B][/QUOTE]

I know:)

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 10
- 7/15/2003 3:47:18 AM   
JJKettunen

[B]
So it is beyond me why Battlefront.com has a Finnish speaking opponent forum:D [/B][/QUOTE]

How about the fact that CMBO sold more copies in Finland than in other Scandinawian countries and Britain combined?

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 11
- 7/15/2003 3:52:18 AM   
U2

[B]How about the fact that CMBO sold more copies in Finland than in other Scandinawian countries and Britain combined? [/B][/QUOTE]

I am not denying that...but why exclude scandinavians that can communicate with the nice Finns? Some of my best opponents are Finns. It feels like they could achive even more with a combined forum for us Scandinavians. If they ever try it here at Matrix I think it would be very nice...what do you think?

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 12
- 7/15/2003 3:57:07 AM   
JJKettunen

[B]I am not denying that...but why exclude scandinavians that can communicate with the nice Finns? Some of my best opponents are Finns. It feels like they could achive even more with a combined forum for us Scandinavians. If they ever try it here at Matrix I think it would be very nice...what do you think? [/B][/QUOTE]

The problem is that Finns prefer English when communicating with other Scandinavians...

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 13
- 7/15/2003 3:59:43 AM   
U2

[B]The problem is that Finns prefer English when communicating with other Scandinavians... [/B][/QUOTE]

And so do I when my Finnish opponents ask if we should write in Swedish. However there are people with not good enough english abilities in all four contries and I was thinking of them :)

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 14
- 7/15/2003 2:48:27 PM   
Nyrkki

[B]And so do I when my Finnish opponents ask if we should write in Swedish. However there are people with not good enough english abilities in all four contries and I was thinking of them :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Why do you prefer English to your native language? I have noticed that this is quite normal for Swedes communicating with Finns. On the other hand, Norwegians seem to speak norwegian when they visit Finland.

Personally I like to have my games in English. The translations I have seen so far, have been terrible attempts.

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 15
- 7/15/2003 2:58:23 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nyrkki
[B]Why do you prefer English to your native language? I have noticed that this is quite normal for Swedes communicating with Finns. On the other hand, Norwegians seem to speak norwegian when they visit Finland.

Personally I like to have my games in English. The translations I have seen so far, have been terrible attempts. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah I can see why you are wondering:)

It's just because I am in love with the English language and have been so since I first came into contact with it. I love to write/speak/read (I buy all of my books in English from the USA) and communicate in English. It's a passion of mine as is wargaming and I try to improve myself everyday since I want to keep my high level of oral and written abilities.

Edit: look I even dropped by this post to correct two spelling errors! I always do that :D

So as you can guess I personally would NEVER buy a translated game but we have to realize that in many countries some fans of wargaming do not have a high standard of English and Wargames are complex enough :)

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 16
- 7/15/2003 6:15:03 PM   
Nyrkki

[B]Ah I can see why you are wondering:)

It's just because I am in love with the English language and have been so since I first came into contact with it. I love to write/speak/read (I buy all of my books in English from the USA) and communicate in English. It's a passion of mine as is wargaming and I try to improve myself everyday since I want to keep my high level of oral and written abilities.

Edit: look I even dropped by this post to correct two spelling errors! I always do that :D

So as you can guess I personally would NEVER buy a translated game but we have to realize that in many countries some fans of wargaming do not have a high standard of English and Wargames are complex enough :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, nothing wrong with that, it's just sad that Finns don't get many opportunities to practice their skills in swedish. All kids in Finland read swedish as a compulsory language at school, but with no practice, except an occasional ferry trip to Stockholm, most tend to forget wath they learned.

I shouldn't blame you Swedes though, because Finland´s swedish speaking minority doesn't help much. It's easier to switch to finnish (in which almost all swedish-finns are fluent in) than to speak swedish with a person who has finnish as mother tongue.

I agree with you that translated games bring a lot new fans into wargaming. The translation has to be of good quality, though. A word for word translation just isn't good enough.

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 17
- 7/15/2003 6:40:32 PM   
Zakhal

[B]Hey Ross do you guys realize that most finns speak and read Swedish??? [/B][/QUOTE]
They do??:confused:

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 18
- 7/15/2003 6:43:50 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zakhal
[B]They do??:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

It's a well kept secret, you have just not been told yet;)

I should not have written as if EVERYONE does. My mistake.

There is nothing like a new Finnish PM being interviewed by Swedish TV and the classic question comes "Do you speak Swedish?" And they say in an almost perfect Swedish accent with that Finnish touch to it "Not very good":)

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Which games will be translated Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI