Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stacking Limits and AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Stacking Limits and AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stacking Limits and AI - 2/13/2020 6:11:58 PM   
SLeyers

Looking to get a feel for how many folks use the modified stacking limits introduced with DaBabes scenarios for other scenarios playing against the AI. I like the concept and was debating installing the file for playing a stock campaign but do not want to inadvertently over-restrict the AI. Do the revised limits restrict the AI to such a point to become a problem or is it fairly transparent?

Post #: 1
RE: Stacking Limits and AI - 2/13/2020 6:37:12 PM   
HansBolter

I play Ironman scenarios against the Japanese AI using stacking limits everywhere.

The AI apparently isn't coded to observe stacking limits anywhere except the atolls and small islands that have stacking limits in stock. I only use 'apparently' because I can't speak to what is, or is not coded.

This doesn't have a huge impact, if you are playing with a 'hard' setting as the negative supply impact will be mitigated.
What likely isn't mitigated is the impact on morale, disruption and fatigue recovery.

I like using stacking limits everywhere because of how it impacts how I have to play, not how the AI has to play.

Stacking limits often have to be ignored when attacking, because the only way you can get a positive outcome is to over stack and weather through the negative effects until the battle is over.

Hans

(in reply to SLeyers)
Post #: 2
RE: Stacking Limits and AI - 2/14/2020 11:34:22 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The AI apparently isn't coded to observe stacking limits anywhere except the atolls and small islands that have stacking limits in stock. I only use 'apparently' because I can't speak to what is, or is not coded.

I don't think it observes those, either, or perhaps it is just that Andymac's scripts do not always pull a lot of defenders to those locales. As opposed to Truk, or the Bonins.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3
RE: Stacking Limits and AI - 2/14/2020 12:55:44 PM   
SLeyers

quote:

What likely isn't mitigated is the impact on morale, disruption and fatigue recovery.

Hans, Thanks for the feedback. Have you noted in your experiences any of these impacts that the AI, due to their scripts, get overly penalized for? Or does the AI just does not end up with over stacks at key low limit locations as Ian suggests.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 4
RE: Stacking Limits and AI - 2/14/2020 5:29:06 PM   
HansBolter

It's very hard to gauge what the degree of impact on hidden stats are for the opposite side.

I don't load up the Japanese side to see what going on under the hood.

I do see the AI over stacking in key defense hexes, because it doesn't have any coded instructions to observe the limits.

There are a couple of threads of mine floating around about my assaults on Osaka and Tokyo in my current game, that give some good illustrations of what to expect.

Tokyo is in the surreal category because all destroyed LCUs get rebuilt there, and for some reason left there.
As some have pointed out I have myself to blame for how over stacked Tokyo is because I made a point of hunting down and destroying every last Jap LCU I came into contact with instead of leaving them to rot in place.

Attacking heavily fortified, heavily stacked bases like Osaka, requires the attacker to over stack as well. Over stacking penalties can be managed up to a certain point. Once you pass that point, you have no choice but to start pulling units out as you will never recover the disruption and fatigue from the last attack to be able to make a follow up attack. Not to mention how quickly your stockpiled supply will evaporate once you pass the over stacking tipping point.

I don't have a good formula for what exactly that tipping point is. It likely varies as a result of terrain and just what the actual stacking limit for the hex is. My presumption has always been that the imposed stacking limits are essentially terrain dependent. I do know that I have passed that tipping point on more than one occasion and been forced to pull units out to make the continuation of the offensive viable again.

Hans

(in reply to SLeyers)
Post #: 5
RE: Stacking Limits and AI - 2/15/2020 12:28:56 AM   
PaxMondo

May not know about stacking limits, but that doesn't lessen the impact upon the AI. Still happens equally to the AI as against you.

Pax

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Stacking Limits and AI - 2/15/2020 1:56:53 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLeyers

quote:

Hans, Thanks for the feedback. Have you noted in your experiences any of these impacts that the AI, due to their scripts, get overly penalized for? Or does the AI just does not end up with over stacks at key low limit locations as Ian suggests.

To clarify a bit - the standard scenario AI is not all that flash at putting garrisons out on captured islands, but see next ...

In Ironman scenarios you will see overstacking in places like Kwajalein, and also some localities the AI is expected to capture, because the garrison troops appear directly at the base as reinforcements. Which as I understand it was done deliberately by the scenario designer, Andymac. I haven't played a standard scenario for about 5 years, but my recollection is the garrisons were much thinner on the ground. I don't want to spoiler it for Hans, but have PM'd you some details from a save game.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Stacking Limits and AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI