Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and unplayable?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and unplayable? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and unpl... - 2/16/2020 9:41:31 PM   
GuardianGI

1. 25 controlled colonies, half with hidden bases = 15k credits per year
2. Controlling 10k 88 quality population colony via criminal network gives seemingly zero income
3. Tax rates setting does nothing, why have this as pirate?
4. Automated fleets bumrush fortified colonies with 200k troops and heavy starbases
5. Only income that isn't bugged are protection agreements, but
6. Diplomacy is broken, empires on the other side of the galaxy randomly accept protection agreements for 2k a month while empires that I have bombed to the stone age with 0 military strength refuse because they have -5000 diplomacy malus
7. For every pirate leader with decent stats there are 10 leaders in a row with diplomacy/tourism stat but it doesn't matter because leaders get replaced every 2 years anyway
8. Boarding pods bug
9. Design menu shows research bases but you cant build them as pirate
10. Automation doesn't offer smuggling bids for super luxuries, so if you want to earn income from smuggling you have to constantly spam smuggling bids menu
11. Automation ignores orbital bombardment fleet setting even when their fully equipped with shakturi firestorm torpedoes.

It seems the longer you play as a pirate the more the income gets corrupted and controlled colonies stop giving income and after you lose all protection agreements you are left with 0 income. It seems to me that playing as an pirate was an afterthought.

< Message edited by GuardianGI -- 2/16/2020 10:16:05 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 2/16/2020 10:00:22 PM   
GuardianGI

Lol, so I just deleted all my military ships and freighters and the cashflow stayed stuck at 42412 for TWO YEARS and then it actually dropped down to 37k. So the game is 100% corrupt and unplayable. Normal empire playthrough is completely fine tho.

(in reply to GuardianGI)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 2/16/2020 10:26:53 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: GuardianGI

1. 25 controlled colonies, half with hidden bases = 15k credits per year
2. Controlling 10k 88 quality population colony via criminal network gives seemingly zero income
3. Tax rates setting does nothing, why have this as pirate?
4. Automated fleets bumrush fortified colonies with 200k troops and heavy starbases
5. Only income that isn't bugged are protection agreements, but
6. Diplomacy is broken, empires on the other side of the galaxy randomly accept protection agreements for 2k a month while empires that I have bombed to the stone age with 0 military strength refuse because they have -5000 diplomacy malus
7. For every pirate leader with decent stats there are 10 leaders in a row with diplomacy/tourism stat but it doesn't matter because leaders get replaced every 2 years anyway
8. Boarding pods bug
9. Design menu shows research bases but you cant build them as pirate
10. Automation doesn't offer smuggling bids for super luxuries, so if you want to earn income from smuggling you have to constantly spam smuggling bids menu
11. Automation ignores orbital bombardment fleet setting even when their fully equipped with shakturi firestorm torpedoes.

It seems the longer you play as a pirate the more the income gets corrupted and controlled colonies stop giving income and after you lose all protection agreements you are left with 0 income. It seems to me that playing as an pirate was an afterthought.

It's been awhile since I played but I always loved playing as a pirate. It is much harder but doable.
There was a bug where corruption could go over 100% and lead to negative income. I fixed that in my mod as well as the boarding pod bug. If you haven't tried it you can give it a try and see how it changes things in your current game.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to GuardianGI)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 2/16/2020 10:59:57 PM   
GuardianGI

UI showed my colony corruption at 27%.
Anyway between the ui slowness, memory leak crashes and save game bloat the game becomes unplayable either way after 50 ingame years without the Pirate specific bugs so I'm done playing this game. I had my fill playing this game and seeing as the devs have abandoned it with all these critical problems for DW2 I'm also bailing out. Anyway thanks for the suggestion.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 2/17/2020 7:03:28 PM   
MatBailie

I do agree that the pirates mode had many bugs and issues. I haven't played in years so I can't recall what they were, but they did infuriate me in the end.

But to say the dev has Abandoned DW seems grossly disingenuous to me. It was supported for many Many years, and repeatedly patched. Nothing gets support forever, and I doubt DW:U drives very much revenue at all any more.

Combined with mods, DW:U gave me at least a thousand hours of play (I don't know the real number, my modded games weren't in the Steam location and so weren't tracked).

It's a shame that you're this upset by the frustrations you've faced. I honestly believe that DW2 is "likely" to be a great game, and that it will get many years of support.

(in reply to GuardianGI)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 2/17/2020 8:42:09 PM   
Kull

It's you. Anyone who follows the Pirate Tips, especially to include downloading NephiliumNexus' Pirate Starting Kit, should have one hell of a game. Is it easy? Of course not. There are any number of things that can and will go wrong and pirates certainly have a number of bugs that one has to account for, but just look at the attachment:

1) 74 years in, and my Pirate Empire has grown from that small green circle in the lower right corner to encompass EVERYTHING circled in red.

2) All those AI empires within that red circle? Those are my slaves - they pay tribute on a regular basis AND their handy little pseudo kingdoms serve as safe zones in which my pirate fleets can take refuge.

3) And believe me, refuge is helpful. Those two nasty Blue Empires are seriously tough opponents and battling with them over the central independent regions is not an easy thing to do.

4) There's even a large pirate opponent remaining in the lower left quadrant (orange), and they add a whole other dimension to my ongoing effort to finish off the Yellow Haakonish.

5) But money right? How can I afford all this? The game is BROKEN!!! Ummm, well, no. Top right, $3M in the bank despite running a deficit of $500K/yr

So by all means, give up, take your ball and go home. Certainly don't want to experience the most kick-ass form of Interstellar Gameplay available, now would you?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kull -- 2/18/2020 12:05:43 AM >

(in reply to MatBailie)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 3/4/2020 10:32:18 AM   
wetpig

I find the bug where your own troops attack your pirate facilities if you try and support them almost game breaking. Sadly you really cant parasite off an empire when you cant defend your pirate installations on planets. Other than that though pirate gameplay is my absolute favourite!

EDIT: SMUGGLERS FTW, sit in your own little part of the galaxy and send smugglers out for big cash!

I play different than you Kull, i make sure i have a few indep colonies with facilites and 1 of the Ultra luxuries (loros fruit, more the better etc etc) then ill just claim a small portion of space (i usually find a colonyship and make a "Tortuga" with it to avoid the facilites corruption effects on the new "capital") and fortify to the max whilst pumping out freighters.

Kull, What type of pirate (smuggler, raider, merc) do you play?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by wetpig -- 3/4/2020 10:44:01 AM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 3/4/2020 7:58:51 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

I hope there is also the pirate faction option in dw2. I don't play the mode often but its very fun when I do.

(in reply to wetpig)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 3/5/2020 6:33:50 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: wetpig

I find the bug where your own troops attack your pirate facilities if you try and support them almost game breaking. Sadly you really cant parasite off an empire when you cant defend your pirate installations on planets.

Oh, but you can though! The Homeworlds of all 7 of my "slave" kingdoms are so well populated that it's impossible to build any pirate facilities. However, I can sell mining stations or other bases to them (and promptly capture them right back), plus they are always looking to buy resources at top dollar, and my smugglers are happy to serve those needs.

Meanwhile, all their other kingdom worlds are too small to mount an offensive against my pirate facilities. Presumably, even if they did build an army large enough to succeed, you could just bombard the population (and army) down to a smaller size and rebuild. Although frankly, that hasn't happened to me once. The slave kingdoms seem to get very meek once they have no spaceports or ships and have to rely on you for everything.

quote:

I play different than you Kull, i make sure i have a few indep colonies with facilites and 1 of the Ultra luxuries (loros fruit, more the better etc etc) then ill just claim a small portion of space (i usually find a colonyship and make a "Tortuga" with it to avoid the facilites corruption effects on the new "capital") and fortify to the max whilst pumping out freighters.

Ahh, you are missing out! The majority of my cash comes from running protection rackets for all the independent worlds. I've only got 5 fully owned pirate worlds, but "own" 48 independents. Not only do all of them have 2 levels of pirate base, but every year they put out bids for "protection", and since I'm almost the last pirate kingdom left, there's usually no counteroffers to contend with. The big independents pay the max, but even the small ones add $5K/yr, which adds up (and as they get larger, so does the fee). But the real trick is to keep "building" new independents by capturing colony ships from the non-slave empires. Move them to the "safe" zone in the far southeast corner, found a new colony, and then immediately tax them at 100% until they rebel....and thus become a brand new independent world and one more source of cash.

It's a racket baby!

quote:

, What type of pirate (smuggler, raider, merc) do you play?

"Balanced", but in reality I have huge fleets and operate militarily much like a "real" empire....which is expensive but affordable since i have my hand in every cookie jar. Mwahahaha!

quote:

Other than that though pirate gameplay is my absolute favourite!

Amen to THAT, bro!

(in reply to wetpig)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and ... - 4/13/2020 6:16:24 AM   
wetpig

Sorry for the late reply, I simply don't have the stamina to manage an "empire" that big, I much prefer to act as a shadow power, infiltrating and corrupting other empires administrations and leaching their profits, after all why spend your own resources when the AI will do it for you (something we both agree on!). When an empire colonizes a new world you can bet ill be there along side them ready to parasite off of them :P!

Thats why its so jarring for me that i cant properly defend my outposts on empire worlds, I really want to play the passive parasite but its simply not doable on worlds other than indeps. Thats my only real complaint about the pirates, I wish there was some form of diplomatic agreement I could make with them that would allow me to build outposts on their worlds unimpeded in exchange for actual protection or the ability to vassalise them and force them to not destroy my outposts.

Ive tried maintaining good relations and protection agreements but relations seem to have to very little if any bearing on protection agreement acceptance and maintenance , so i cant keep my outposts safe :(.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Is it me or is a pirate playthrough very buggy and unplayable? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI