Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - The New Coronavirus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT - The New Coronavirus Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/8/2020 4:42:34 PM   
RangerJoe

Ugh - warm and humid weather . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 211
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/8/2020 6:08:18 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

This is a an article about the corona virus and it's relationship to temperature.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/what-happens-to-coronavirus-covid-19-in-warmer-spring-temperatures/

I despise sites that want my email address to dispense important information. Instead I right clicked and saved the page so I could read it without doling out my email addy. Da bums.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 212
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/8/2020 7:20:39 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

This is a an article about the corona virus and it's relationship to temperature.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/what-happens-to-coronavirus-covid-19-in-warmer-spring-temperatures/

I despise sites that want my email address to dispense important information. Instead I right clicked and saved the page so I could read it without doling out my email addy. Da bums.

I had no problem clicking on it and reading it. No request for an e-mail address or anything else. Maybe it is your browser and how it is set up.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 213
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/8/2020 10:30:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

It's also reached my area. Confirmed case in the town where I shopped for groceries this morning.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 214
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/8/2020 10:39:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ringoblood
Coronavirus has now hit my home town in The United States in Monco. County, PA. 2 Cases haves been reported this morning by the CDC and Gov. Tom Wolf. our State Gov. the Case of the Illness was reported a few days ago in Wayne County 39 miles from me in PA according to CDC and Gov. Wolf. So it is in the North part of the State by me and in the East part of the State in my home town by my mother. Please Pray for me and my family.

Stay safe Josh, limit your social contacts and practice good hygiene as much as you can and hopefully we can all ride out this wave.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 215
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/8/2020 11:28:29 PM   
RangerJoe

I am going to get some masks. I have some sinus drainage that caused a sore throat and now it is my lungs causing a minor cough. If I drank a litre of Jack Daniels the cough would not bother me but I have other things to take.

Stay hydrated because that also helps fight it off.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 216
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/8/2020 11:37:55 PM   
ringoblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ringoblood
Coronavirus has now hit my home town in The United States in Monco. County, PA. 2 Cases haves been reported this morning by the CDC and Gov. Tom Wolf. our State Gov. the Case of the Illness was reported a few days ago in Wayne County 39 miles from me in PA according to CDC and Gov. Wolf. So it is in the North part of the State by me and in the East part of the State in my home town by my mother. Please Pray for me and my family.

Stay safe Josh, limit your social contacts and practice good hygiene as much as you can and hopefully we can all ride out this wave.

Thank You Erik

Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 217
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 12:31:37 AM   
Lobster

The woman in Omaha, Ne who tested positive for this virus and was hospitalized potentially spread the virus to scores. She went to a Special Olympics event, a VFW Post event, went shopping a couple of times and visited friends. She thought she just had a cold until she got very sick. People. If you feel sick STAY HOME.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 218
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 6:35:46 AM   
Huizhou

i produce PE foam for corona virus protection

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 219
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 7:06:00 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Huizhou

i produce PE foam for corona virus protection

From the place where the virus started a spammer

(in reply to Huizhou)
Post #: 220
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 1:35:57 PM   
balto

In other more important real news, PZ Corps 2 is releasing soon. Yes!

< Message edited by balto -- 3/9/2020 1:36:31 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 221
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 4:39:53 PM   
Zorch

"Coronavirus: Are there two strains and is one more deadly?"

There is 'some' evidence that there are 2 strains of the new virus. I have pasted in the whole article from https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

'Two strains of the new coronavirus are spreading around the world, according to an analysis of 103 cases. But the World Health Organization insists that “there is no evidence that the virus has been changing”. So how many strains are there, and why does it matter?

Viruses are always mutating, especially RNA viruses like this one, coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. When a person is infected with the coronavirus, it replicates in their respiratory tract. Every time it does, around half a dozen genetic mutations occur, says Ian Jones at the University of Reading, UK.

When Xiaolu Tang at Peking University in Beijing and colleagues studied the viral genome taken from 103 cases, they found common mutations at two locations on the genome. The team identified two types of the virus based on differences in the genome at these two regions: 72 were considered to be the “L-type” and 29 were classed “S-type”.

A separate analysis by the team suggests that the L-type was derived from the older S-type. The first strain is likely to have emerged around the time the virus jumped from animals to humans. The second emerged soon after that, says the team. Both are involved in the current global outbreak. The fact that the L-type is more prevalent suggests that it is “more aggressive” than the S-type, the team say.

“There do appear to be two different strains,” says Ravinder Kanda at Oxford Brookes University in the UK. “[The L-type] might be more aggressive in transmitting itself, but we have no idea yet how these underlying genetic changes will relate to disease severity,” she says.

“I think it’s a fact that there are two strains,” says Erik Volz at Imperial College London. “It’s normal for viruses to undergo evolution when they are transmitted to a new host.”

It is vital to know how many strains of the virus exist. Around the world, multiple groups are working on a vaccine for the virus. Any vaccine will need to target features that are found in both strains of the virus in order to be effective.

The differences between the two identified strains are tiny. In fact, they can’t really be considered to be separate “strains”, says Jones. And many of the genetic differences won’t affect the production of proteins, and so won’t change the way the virus works, or the symptoms it causes, he says. One is not more deadly than the other.

“In all practical terms, the virus is as it was when it originally emerged,” says Jones. “There’s no evidence it is getting any worse.” The sentiment is echoed by the World Health Organization. The study by Tang and colleagues only suggests there is some genetic diversity of the virus – it doesn’t mean it is changing, a representative told New Scientist.

But we can’t say for sure. The study only represents 103 cases. A larger, online database has collated the sequencing results from 166 cases. Both represent a drop in the ocean of the almost 100,000 officially reported cases.

Jones says we can expect more strains to emerge. Epidemiologists generally agree that, once a person is infected with the coronavirus, they are unlikely to be infected again – unless the virus mutates to allow it to overcome the immune system’s defences.

This “selection pressure” could lead to the outbreak of a new strain, says Jones. This is the case with seasonal flu – new variants crop up every year that can infect people whether or not they’ve had flu in the past.

We could see the same pattern emerge for the new coronavirus in the coming years, says Jones. “I don’t see it going away any time soon.”'

Journal reference: National Science Review, DOI: 10.1093/nsr/nwaa036

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 222
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 5:39:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

China will soon eradicate covid-19. The draconian measures worked. Loss of GDP obviously: the engine of the planet coughed, we'll all get sick now.

Civil servants riding towards a remote spot to fight covid-19. Well done, China.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 3/9/2020 5:40:44 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 223
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 5:59:58 PM   
Lobster

I assume it's the horses that are going to do the fighting. The people have failed miserably.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

China will soon eradicate covid-19. The draconian measures worked. Loss of GDP obviously: the engine of the planet coughed, we'll all get sick now.

Civil servants riding towards a remote spot to fight covid-19. Well done, China.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 224
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 6:11:27 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

I assume it's the horses that are going to do the fighting. The people have failed miserably.

That's not what WHO and informed people say. Trolls don't count eh

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 225
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 7:21:18 PM   
rommel222

Greetings to All,
Gov Cuomo had live TV broadcast late this morning that there are now 142 confirmed cases of Corona Virus in NY state.
He said this makes NY state #1 for Corona Virus in U.S.
https://www.wamc.org/post/first-covid-19-case-appears-ulster-cases-ny-continue-rise

My college has posted emergency preparedness plan in case of campus outbreak:
All faculty will use email, Canvas online Learning Management System (LMS) and Zoom webinar for remote/distance learning.

Several colleges and universities in NY city are now closed as a precaution and will use remote/distance learning.

Post #: 226
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 8:29:38 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

If people had done their job instead of hiding behind lies we wouldn't be at this stage so yeah, I'll go with the horses.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/timeline-china-viral-outbreak-spread-worldwide

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/9/2020 8:35:02 PM >

Post #: 227
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 9:19:31 PM   
TulliusDetritus

What lies exactly? Oh, you will not believe what we just found! A "once-in-a-century pathogen"... you see, normal stuff here in China.

The rest of the world knew better. That's why everyone was saying -until very recently- "nah, just a flu". If you think the this is a flu brigade would have fared better, I have a bridge to sell you.

The point is the Chinese reacted very quickly. Again, that's what WHO and assorted experts say. I'm not an epidemiologist (nobody on this thread is), just sharing the data I gathered from -I hope and think- reliable people, organisations. That's what we all do.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 228
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 10:06:04 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

If people had done their job instead of hiding behind lies we wouldn't be at this stage so yeah, I'll go with the horses.

Why don't you go live someplace where everything is strictly regulated the way that you appear to want it to be. Oh wait, that society will probably die out since no children would be born if it . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 229
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 10:50:18 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why don't you go live someplace where everything is strictly regulated the way that you appear to want it to be. Oh wait, that society will probably die out since no children would be born if it . . .

Tell that to the doctor that alerted people there was a new virus and was arrested for doing the responsible thing. Oh wait, he died from the virus he was trying to warn the world about.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 230
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 10:51:34 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Why don't you [...]

Why don't you talk about the covid-19? Any data to share? I'm afraid draconian measures aka China's lesson will be needed. China stopped its economy just for the lulz, yes, that makes a lot of sense Japanese schools closed in march for the lulz too. And today, oops, Italy... total lockdown. Just for the lulz again.

Or... maybe... China did the right thing and will soon be sending to the rest of the world equipment, experience, doctors and nurses... stay tuned

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 231
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 11:06:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Tell that to the doctor [...]

No, you tell that to the this is a flu ad nauseam brigade... only now they are disappearing from the map...

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 232
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/9/2020 11:39:03 PM   
Gilmer

Well, I live in Alabama and the insular state has not one patient yet, knock on wood. I WILL say, though, my brother and I got sick in January.

I got what they called "sinusitis" early in January, and then about 2 weeks later, I came down with some kind of 72 hour bug. I started getting sick on Friday and the fever broke on Sunday. I was miserable. This is SO rare for me to get sick at all. I did not go to the doctor for the second sickness because I got better before Monday.

I never get sick twice in one month like that and I had the flu shot. My brother said he never gets sick like that, either. We had 2 people in the office get the flu. One supposedly had a "relapse". Seems pretty weird. Just thinking on it.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Post #: 233
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/10/2020 1:06:41 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tell that to the doctor that alerted people there was a new virus and was arrested for doing the responsible thing. Oh wait, he died from the virus he was trying to warn the world about.

When the doctors showed that they were correct, they were released. Then China took drastic steps. The society that I live in is more open. While there are drastic steps that can be taken in an emergency, I do not see such an emergency yet. If people would take proper precautions, it should not get out of hand. Even if a person has a simple cold, they should be selfish and not share. But some people still feel that they should share their illness, at least according to their actions.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 234
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/10/2020 2:00:54 AM   
balto

Gilmer, you are golden if you had Corona. Corona symptoms are identical to the flu.., and of course you survived as does everyone with decent health. Go out and party everywhere because you are now immune.

< Message edited by balto -- 3/10/2020 2:01:44 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 235
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/10/2020 2:11:20 AM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

Why don't you [...]

Why don't you talk about the covid-19? Any data to share? I'm afraid draconian measures aka China's lesson will be needed. China stopped its economy just for the lulz, yes, that makes a lot of sense Japanese schools closed in march for the lulz too. And today, oops, Italy... total lockdown. Just for the lulz again.

Or... maybe... China did the right thing and will soon be sending to the rest of the world equipment, experience, doctors and nurses... stay tuned

They shut the gate after the horse was out of the barn. Good job.

Not saying any more because I would have to get into politics.

Post #: 236
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/10/2020 2:21:29 AM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

Why don't you [...]

self censored...

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/10/2020 2:24:18 AM >

Post #: 237
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/10/2020 2:47:47 AM   
RangerJoe

How is this.

quote:

According to the WHO on March 6, the crude mortality ratio for Covid-19 – that is, the number of reported deaths divided by the number of reported cases – is between 3-4%. In Korea, as of March 9, that figure was a mere 0.7%.
Key factors include a robust national health service; prior experience of virus outbreaks and related preparations; aggressive execution of testing, isolation and treatment protocols, fully backed by the law – and two incidences of good fortune.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/why-are-koreas-covid-19-death-rates-so-low/

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 238
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/10/2020 8:21:47 AM   
rommel222

Greetings RangerJoe,
Thank for posting the asiatimes article on South Korea's campaign to deal with Corona Virus.
I wonder if North Korea is effectively dealing with Corona Virus since they deny any cases of it there.
However, there are reports/leaks that North Korean soldiers along the Chinese border may have come down with Corona Virus and been quarantined.
https://www.businessinsider.com/almost-200-north-korean-soldiers-died-coronavirus-2020-3
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51796776
https://www.foxnews.com/world/north-korea-flies-out-foreign-diplomats-in-midst-of-coronavirus-fight

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 239
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/10/2020 10:01:28 AM   
RangerJoe

Well, here is a link to another thread where a lot of information is being posted:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4768436&mpage=16�

Since that information is there, I feel that I don't have to post it here. I am not worried about this. If I get it, I get it. I am in several higher risk categories. But there are things to minimize your risk and to minimize the effect if you do get it, those things I have posted.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT - The New Coronavirus Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI