Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 7:26:33 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Toilet rolls are worth more than cocaine now in the UK.
warspite1

....and a lot harder to stuff up your nose.

Just use a little at a time . . .

And maybe remove the cardboard centerpiece...

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 541
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 7:30:18 PM   
durnedwolf

Apparently, in America, the White House coronavirus meetings are now classified - lol.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/487040-white-house-ordered-coronavirus-meetings-classified

It's amazing the things that make the news over here...

< Message edited by durnedwolf -- 3/11/2020 7:31:12 PM >

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 542
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 7:44:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Toilet rolls are worth more than cocaine now in the UK.
warspite1

....and a lot harder to stuff up your nose.

Just use a little at a time . . .

And maybe remove the cardboard centerpiece...
warspite1

Attachment (1)

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 543
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 7:48:41 PM   
Zorch

This is supposed to be a serious thread about a deadly virus. No one is allowed to make jokes (unless they're very funny).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 544
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 8:25:08 PM   
rustysi

Hey, that last one was pretty good.

Besides I find that if I don't laugh at ourselves, I be crying all day. The world is so.... Well you know.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 545
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 9:41:58 PM   
geofflambert

In case no one's posted this yet:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 546
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 10:01:41 PM   
geofflambert

This doesn't look good

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 547
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 10:11:55 PM   
JohnDillworth

The United States has tested 7,000 people. 7,000 States, Cities doctors are screaming for tests. 7,000. South Korea has tested over 200,000. We are way, way behind. Whats the plan to catch up?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

Post #: 548
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 10:16:59 PM   
geofflambert

As noted above, that's classified.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 549
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 10:20:31 PM   
geofflambert

This looks really, really bad. Nursing home victims, though.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 550
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 11:21:46 PM   
spence

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Just another way of looking at it. Not reassuring.

Post #: 551
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/11/2020 11:53:53 PM   
MakeeLearn

Italy, now under lockdown, has been hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak.
https://www.businessinsider.com/italy-coronavirus-old-population-cases-death-rate-2020-3

"As of Monday, over 9,000 people in Italy had contracted the COVID-19 disease caused by the new Coronavirus, and more than 463 others have died. The new figures make the country home to the largest number of infections outside China, the epicenter of the epidemic.

According to Italy's national health institute, the average age of those who have died was 81, and many of the deceased had preexisting health conditions. Only one in five Coronavirus patients is between 19 and 50 years old, making the older population significantly more impacted by the virus in Italy. "

"A study conducted last month from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention showed that the virus most seriously affected older people with preexisting health problems, which suggests a person's chances of dying from the disease increase with age."

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/12/2020 12:02:37 AM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 552
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 12:46:47 AM   
Erik Rutins

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 553
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 1:49:02 AM   
Shellshock

Tom Hanks tweets that he and his wife have tested positive for coronavirus.

That'll certainly put a famous face on this pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/media/tom-hanks-coronavirus.html

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 554
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 2:19:11 AM   
Canoerebel

The height of the season for beginning a thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail (Georgia to Maine) is late February through March. As best I can tell, the season is off to a normal start. I'm following a number of folks who post online blogs or journals. Most of them are young enough, or fit enough, to fall outside the "susceptible category." But they might find re-supply at small mountain and valley towns difficult, if hording/shortages begin. But, to this point, I haven't seen any mentions of concerns about the virus. That'll change.

In my community, life continues pretty much as normal, although we've had quite a few postives or suspected-postives. Today I went for a long run on a mountain. There was cast and crew filming an episode of "Stranger Things" at Berry College. All stores are well stocked and having sales on toilet paper, etc. I worked and had lunch (a homemade peanut butter sandwich) in the food court at the local mall (I always buy and unsweet tea and read while I eat my sandwich). I went to church tonight and we had a great meeting.

But we're aware of what's going on. We know that professional and college leagues are planning to play without fans in attendance; the local schools are closed for the next two days (the students were off anyway); many local colleges are beginning to go to online class only for the balance of the semester; my wife works at a center that hosts marriage and corporate retreats - I assume that business will suspend operations soon.

My 90-year-old mom is in a local assisted living facility. She's certainly vulnerable.

Overall, I feel optimistic about things. Given two or three weeks of perspective and additional info, I believe things will settle down and return (mostly) to normal. But I'll keep watching and adjust expectations accordingly.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 555
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 2:30:09 AM   
Kull

NBA just suspended the season. Coming next: March Madness, Baseball, NHL? If they shut down the Premier League, this is one Liverpool fan that will KNOW the gods hate us....

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 556
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 3:49:45 AM   
Scott_USN

We are all going to die... Really we are.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 557
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 3:55:59 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

If they shut down the Premier League, this is one Liverpool fan that will KNOW the gods hate us....
warspite1

Well we live in hope

Although in all seriousness, even if they did cancel the season it would be remarkably unfair to do anything other than announce Liverpool as Champions given their lead. What would they do about relegation / promotion / European places I wonder?

I think the cancellation of a season so close to its end will be most unlikely and instead they will order all games to be played behind closed doors. I guess ultimately it depends on how many players start contracting the virus.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 558
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 4:15:54 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

Yes, and there are plenty of web sites that will tell you how long you can expect to live based on your age, health, diet, exercise habits, etc.

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 559
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 4:39:40 AM   
Scott_USN

I would rather go out not knowing

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 560
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 4:54:24 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

Bollocks! I plan to live forever. So far it is working out just fine

Also, here is a good analytical piece on the statistics of epidemics
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 3/12/2020 4:56:29 AM >

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 561
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 8:32:56 AM   
JohnDillworth

I'll repeat. Based on the current acceleration we may be at 1 million cases in the United States by the middle of April. We will run out of hospital beds by early May. Unless something is done to slow the acceleration. Cancelling the NBA season of stopping Europeans from traveling here won't do it. The horse is out of the barn. The virus is here. It must be dealt with here. Blaming foreigners when the entire human race is dealing with this is pointless and self serving. WE NEED TO SLOW THE ACCELERATION. We are currently seeing an increase of infections at a rate of 29% increase per day. Do the math. It exponential. It doubles every 3 days. Shut schools down. Shut transportation down. No large gatherings. Shut down air travel now. What is the paln?

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 562
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 9:17:18 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

I'll repeat. Based on the current acceleration we may be at 1 million cases in the United States by the middle of April. We will run out of hospital beds by early May. Unless something is done to slow the acceleration. Cancelling the NBA season of stopping Europeans from traveling here won't do it. The horse is out of the barn. The virus is here. It must be dealt with here. Blaming foreigners when the entire human race is dealing with this is pointless and self serving. WE NEED TO SLOW THE ACCELERATION. We are currently seeing an increase of infections at a rate of 29% increase per day. Do the math. It exponential. It doubles every 3 days. Shut schools down. Shut transportation down. No large gatherings. Shut down air travel now. What is the paln?

Did you look at the 15 minutes of interview which Erik linked to? 38% of nurses working in healthcare delivery in the US have children in school. Shut down the schools, lose 38% of nurses when you need them to work overtime. Or the kids are gathered elsewhere anyway.

What is your plan for feeding people with all transportation shut down? How about grocery stores - are they large gatherings?

Post #: 563
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 10:18:46 AM   
JohnDillworth

Only China and Korea made managed to slow this down. What did they do? Quarantine. They found home confinement useless. They test every one. If you have it, or have a fever, you are sent to a fever clinic. No choice. Home confinement has only led to families becoming infected. We are still in denial. Shut everything down. Test everyone. Isolate the sick or infected. China and Korea are doing a fine job of feeding their people and they have far less food resources than we do. What’s your plan? Wait for it to go away? Have the Federal reserve do another rate cut? It’s here and it is spreading at an exponential rate. Harsh measures are in order. Or maybe it’s time for a rude tweet? We have no real plan to slow the infection rate. This is not an economical problem. We need science here. In NY state we have 28 labs ready and fully equipped to start testing. The only thing holding up that testing is the Federal Government needs to approve testing. So far they have refused! 28 labs ready to test and the Federal Government will not approve! This is madness

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 3/12/2020 10:41:28 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 564
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 12:03:31 PM   
HansBolter

The entire population of the planet will eventually be exposed.

The only madness is thinking anyone one of us can hide from it.

I, like most people, might be able to stretch my stockpiles to last a month.

Only the survivalists we, as a society, have been making fun of for years, have stockpiled the resources necessary to survive the shut down of the distribution of goods for any lengthy duration.

Shutting down the distribution of goods is the quickest way possible to bring about the zombie apocalypse.

Hans

Post #: 565
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 12:10:14 PM   
witpqs

Went to Costco yesterday to pick up the coupon items I wanted. On the way by that isle I noticed a sign - and the lack of stock - indicating they were completely out of toilet paper.

I think after production is adjusted to account for the current run on certain things, like TP, there are going to be some long draw-down of personal stockpiles of certain goods.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 566
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 12:24:31 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Only China and Korea made managed to slow this down. What did they do? Quarantine. They found home confinement useless. They test every one. If you have it, or have a fever, you are sent to a fever clinic. No choice. Home confinement has only led to families becoming infected. We are still in denial. Shut everything down. Test everyone. Isolate the sick or infected. China and Korea are doing a fine job of feeding their people and they have far less food resources than we do. What’s your plan? Wait for it to go away? Have the Federal reserve do another rate cut? It’s here and it is spreading at an exponential rate. Harsh measures are in order. Or maybe it’s time for a rude tweet? We have no real plan to slow the infection rate. This is not an economical problem. We need science here. In NY state we have 28 labs ready and fully equipped to start testing. The only thing holding up that testing is the Federal Government needs to approve testing. So far they have refused! 28 labs ready to test and the Federal Government will not approve! This is madness

I know. Take everyone and their families who has the virus and put them in camps surrounded by barbed wire. Take their personal possessions away from them and either destroy those possessions or sterilize them. If they are sterilized, then sell them at local thrift stores since there won't be any new goods going through the distribution system to regular stores.

The people in camps will be allowed to work but won't be fed enough due to corruption as well as the attitude "They are going to die anyway!" Since their personal clothing is now gone and they are in camps, give them all a unique outfit so they can easily be seen if they should leave the camps. Since they are going to die and their bodies may still carry the disease, have large cremation ovens. Since they are going to be cremated, make sure that any gold teeth are removed.

The guards should all have a nice uniform. Maybe a nice black (for mourning) with nice black boots. To show where they work so people will respect them, have a symbol like a skull (to show that they work around death) on their uniform.

To insure that the rest of the population stays in line, how about have check points where police check peoples papers to make sure that they are actually allowed to travel? With corona virus 19 checks as well? With secret police in plain clothes everywhere as well?

Is that what you want?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 567
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 12:28:48 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Good interview on COVID-19:

https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts

Here is a link to the PODcast website with the entire interview. Some of it goes into other infectious diseases, but the current corona virus outbreak is the main topic. The whole thing is very worthwhile.

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/michael-osterholm

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 568
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 1:43:25 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

NBA just suspended the season. Coming next: March Madness, Baseball, NHL? If they shut down the Premier League, this is one Liverpool fan that will KNOW the gods hate us....

Life goes on day after day
Hearts torn in every way
So ferry 'cross the Mersey
'Cause this land's the place I love
And here I'll stay

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 569
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/12/2020 1:45:49 PM   
MakeeLearn

Circuit Breakers Triggered Again With Stocks in Bear Market

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/circuit-breakers-back-play-stocks-191844972.html
quote:

Market-wide circuit breakers that already tripped once this week were triggered again as selling in the S&P 500 dragged stocks into an intraday bear market.

The benchmark for American equities plunged 7% to 2,549 as of 9:35 a.m. in New York, the level where NYSE rules stipulate a 15-minute trading halt aimed at soothing frayed nerves. That leaves the index 25% below its all-time high and on course to meet the accepted definition of a bear market.

“Circuit breakers won’t help sentiment,” said Dennis Debusschere, head of portfolio strategy at Evercore ISI. “What will help is policy and comfort the virus is contained.”

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI