Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 1:48:27 AM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 31
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 1:49:00 AM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 32
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 1:49:32 AM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 33
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 1:50:05 AM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 34
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 3:30:23 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I am doing Andy Mac's latest Ironman against the IJ computer. I have collected over 80,000 aircraft VPs at a better than 4:1 ratio. I just landed at Kanoya and it's May 7, 1945. I lost about 12 CVEs over the two-day turn, although the IJ had aircraft losses of over 3000 in those two days. They sent everything that could fly. I noticed that my CAP went from about 2000 to zero over the fleet in the morning after countless attacks, but popped back up to about 1500 airframes at the start of the afternoon phase. Some very interesting things happen in the game when the numbers get large.

As you may imagine, I have a lot of aces. One VMF based on Funafuti has over 1300 kills, although the Betties stopped coming a few months back. I need to send them up to the Home Islands.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 35
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 3:36:27 AM   
Scott_USN

I am playing Andy's Dababes Insanity. Man It is insane for sure. Trying to hold Lashio with Chinese and last of the Burma troops. Not going to happen I think.

Oh and the Japanese Air force and Navy Air is crazy. Lost 370 P40s god knows how many F4's, but put down hundreds of Japanese aircraft so hard but not impossible I think. But still crazy. Oh and that is just early March.

I accidentally ran into a Christmas Island invasion force moving carrier to the South and destroyed I think an entire division heading there. Reinforced the last line at Christmas. NO Christmas for the Japanese!

< Message edited by Scott_USN -- 3/18/2020 3:41:39 AM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 36
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 4:59:38 AM   
rader

I'm playing a game now with Encircled. Haven't played since the Greyjoy game 8 years ago (!), but we've been at it since November and are now in May 1942. I've been thinking about writing a bit of an AAR but not sure I have the time.

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 37
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 5:00:52 AM   
rader

Watching a lot of posts on the forum actively, and thoroughly enjoyed some recent game reports, especially the Obvert/Canoerebel game :)

Also watching the coronavirus thread - lots of good, rational conversation there.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 38
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 5:27:45 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Rader: Great to hear from you. You had probably the most epic contest in WITP-AE AAR history with GreyJoy. Would love to see an AAR from you (I'm the guy formerly known as Commander Cody).

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 39
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 6:12:46 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

I'm playing a game now with Encircled. Haven't played since the Greyjoy game 8 years ago (!), but we've been at it since November and are now in May 1942. I've been thinking about writing a bit of an AAR but not sure I have the time.

Reading that AAR got me interested in this game.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 40
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 6:51:07 AM   
ny59giants

Playing Nathan from Brisbane, Australia in BTS Heavy as Allies. We have been on hold for almost a month due to his work load. Date is 10 Sept '45. This is my longest game ever as Allies. Looks like it will go into '46, if and when, we restart.
KB vs super-DS has not happened....yet or maybe never
Russian ground forces are just plain NASTY!!
China was captured by Japan
Allies have ALL of India through SE Asia, southern China except for Canton and Hong Kong, Philippines, Dutch SRA, Formosa, and islands between Formosa and Okinawa.
Japan itself has yet to be seen by 4e beasties, but I hope soon enough.

Still working on BTS mod with John 3rd.

Post #: 41
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 10:25:20 AM   
Encircled

May 5th 1942 Scenario 2 versus Rader (remember him!?!)

He's absolutely steamrolling me in China and I've barely laid a glove on him so far.

Major losses POW/Repulse both sunk but sank the Haruna in return, bit of reaction bonus into Singapore guns cost him Kongo, a couple of CLs and a few destroyers.

I was absolutely bricking it in Jan, but I'm slightly calmer now but I'm still in deep s**t!

< Message edited by Encircled -- 3/18/2020 10:26:19 AM >

Post #: 42
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 10:56:34 AM   
GetAssista

Have a stock 1 game as Japan against Allied AI on hold, with the aim of the world conquest. I arrived at San Francisco to find out that Brits, Indians and Aussies that don't have their home bases any more spawn there and camp (AI spawns land units on map, not in Aden or such).

So this would be a very tough nut to crack given constant spawning of new land units for all the Allied forces combined. The correct strategy for the world conquest should probably be a bit different, with taking major Allied spawn bases in quick succession (yeah, not much easier). But it is too late now :)

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 43
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 12:32:50 PM   
btd64

Waiting on the new excellent version of BTSL from John3rd and Michael. I'm going to be The Japanese and Larry (from TOAW4 fame)is going to be the Allies. He and I have been playing a few "practice" games so that I can see how the economy works a little bit....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 44
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 2:00:48 PM   
King_Solomon

Hi, my name is Todd, aka King Solomon, and I'm guilty of being a lurker. I recently caught the WitP:AE bug after reading some of the great AAR's.

I am reluctantly "retired" but hey, it gives me free time to spend playing WitP. I am also trying to get back into board gaming after many years away, now if only I could convince the family to build a game room! And I have a pile of Glantz books to read. What else would I want in life?

I just started my first grand campaign, Scenario 1, as the Allies vs. Japan, 1-day turns, playing on Hard. Many thanks to Kull and Sardauker for their help in getting me started, along with everyone else who has posted their advice and experiences. I'm at the end December 1941. The daily turns are gradually getting faster though I still create an Excel spreadsheet for each turn out of fear of missing something. Okay, so I just like building stuff in Excel. I am trying to patiently work my way through the first six months, playing defensively and building my supply lines & bases. So far I've learned that Japanese planes and subs never miss. It's difficult not totally withdrawing but I really want to see the game develop and learn by watching. Right now I'm slowly coiling the snake, till I'm ready to strike, full of venom, straight for Tokyo. It's my Cobra Khan theory.

Be safe everyone!

Post #: 45
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 2:41:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Solomon
It's my Cobra Khan theory.

Actually, shouldn't that suggest that you should go for Okinawa? "Sweep the leg!"

(in reply to King_Solomon)
Post #: 46
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 2:41:59 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Anachro wanted a status report, here it is. We're playing stock.

Mod or no, doubt I'll ever be able to hold the line this effectively. well done

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

Post #: 47
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 3:15:43 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Solomon
It's my Cobra Khan theory.

Actually, shouldn't that suggest that you should go for Okinawa? "Sweep the leg!"

Sulfur Island if I remember correctly, aka Iwo Jima, is part of Tokyo . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 48
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 4:45:24 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

The walnut will be cracking soon, I expect.

I think a good mod would help him. He's been taking advantage of no stacking limits, but other than that it's been to my advantage, particularly the robustness and effectiveness of Japanese engineers. I think that's way out of whack in stock. I've got no Bridge over the River Kwai problems.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 3/18/2020 4:53:55 PM >

(in reply to Cheesesteak)
Post #: 49
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 5:04:23 PM   
cantona2

Back to the game after 7 year hiatus but go all the way back to the original WitP

Current game vs 1275psi Scen 1 as allies

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4750150

Also playing Capt in a Guadalcanal scenario game also as Allies

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Post #: 50
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 6:24:11 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

The walnut will be cracking soon, I expect.

I think a good mod would help him. He's been taking advantage of no stacking limits, but other than that it's been to my advantage, particularly the robustness and effectiveness of Japanese engineers. I think that's way out of whack in stock. I've got no Bridge over the River Kwai problems.

Didn't you have an AAR? Once upon a time...

Post #: 51
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 7:49:01 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Didn't you have an AAR? Once upon a time...

I never seem to have time for it. I've kept a folder full of screen shots from every single day of it, so in theory I could construct it anytime (after the game is over and before I get the moral points to start another one).

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 52
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 8:06:12 PM   
Lowpe

Not playing any pbem currently, down from 3 at several points in the past years. I feel that I burned out, as turns became more work than joy, excitement and escape. However, I am thinking of re-exploring some of the Nasty Nasty Ironman games...especially with shutdown.

Post #: 53
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/18/2020 9:06:01 PM   
John 3rd

Hello All.

I haven't been Posting or on the Forum much for the last couple of months.

Activity:
1. Sean and I are in Dec 43 of our campaign.
2. Working with the BTS Team on an extensive re-write of the Mod.
3. Helping with another project.

With 16 and 13-year old boys, life is pretty crazy around the Cochran Household. Best to everyone and stay HEALTHY!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 54
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 3:49:34 AM   
PaxMondo

Hanging out … haven't gotten a turn in my AI game since Jan? maybe longer. Probably have to restart as I will have forgotten where I was and will likely want to try a different approach.

Life is busy, as with most everyone now …

Pax

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 55
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 3:51:52 AM   
Scott_USN

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Hanging out … haven't gotten a turn in my AI game since Jan? maybe longer. Probably have to restart as I will have forgotten where I was and will likely want to try a different approach.

Life is busy, as with most everyone now …

Was Andy's Dababes insanity playable past 42?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 56
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 10:59:22 AM   
basilstaghare

Playing Ironman Hard v.26a Allies vs. AI. First time with WitPAE, though I played a great deal of Pacific War in the 90's. Making plenty of rookie mistakes but learning a lot. Japanese took all of the high value targets by early 1942. Its now September 1942 and I have managed to hold on to PM-Buna-Milne Bay-Sal.-Wau in New Guinea and also the Solomons. I have air superiority in that region and doing well in China. Holding a line from Midway-Johnston Is.-Canton Is. over to the Solomons. Managed to keep Koepang but it has been a tough fight and still hotly contested. Being pressed hard in Burma and was forced back to Chittagong and lost the Burma Road. Japanese Army has air superiority in the region and finding it hard to get anything going in that AO. Fuel is scarce and I need to move more air, naval and tanker assets to Colombo and/or India. I lost several BB's, the Hornet, Hermes and have pilfered my carrier air groups down to the "nub." The IJN has suffered equally and has lost several CVE's and BB's but maintains clear naval superiority in most regards. Has been a fun experience and still going. I have found the AI challenging and surprisingly well "organized." Several folks on the forum have patiently helped me with beginner questions and I have appreciated their friendly assistance.

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 57
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 1:34:25 PM   
Timotheus

Reporting in.

Lately have played scenario 10-ish (? it is scenario 1 with improved AI by Andy), and won automatic victory in 1943. By 1943, Allies had so much stuff to throw at me, that even though it was script based (therefore easy to predict, since script picks a base and does everything to take it, regardless of losses, up to specified time in script), it showed me how much stuff the Allies have. Even brute force approach was dangerous to my forces by late 1943 (after auto win).

Took southern India, all of China except 1 town (no points for guessing which one), had great fun vs computer. Versus a human being I would very much be slaughtered with my tactics and execution.

Might play a human sometime, with this working from home and situation we are in.

cough

edit: reading greyjoy AAR - it is epic. beginning to hate misspellings of EVERY town and base on map. is that like a badge of honor for gray to do so? scoodra..... ye gods

Following anarcho's AAR's, all caught up.

Running a youtube channel, hit the big time with few thousand subscribers. Sadly, in the new media (and old, actually), if one does not act like a total idiot, one does not get 100,000 low IQ keedz, therefore no money from this. But on the other hand can meet virtually some intelligent people and learn new things from their comments.

< Message edited by Timotheus -- 3/19/2020 1:36:57 PM >

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to basilstaghare)
Post #: 58
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 2:54:38 PM   
Leandros

Brisbane Evening Star July 5th 1942 - pages 1-2 (of 6)

Complete AAR can be found here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4489704&mpage=7&key=&#

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Leandros -- 3/19/2020 3:04:37 PM >

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 59
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 3:12:07 PM   
Leandros

quote:

This looks incredibly dull - no ships lost between December '41 and May '42! Who's been running…?..

Fred

< Message edited by Leandros -- 3/19/2020 3:21:58 PM >

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI