Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:05:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

being able to test for antibodies is going to be critical to our understanding. We aren't able to do so yet.

Antibody studies (presumably from blood samples) are a poor way of tracking a fulminant outbreak. Serologic antibody screening is useful for determining historical exposure, but antibody production takes several weeks post-exposure to develop sufficient to detect. It's a 'rear view mirror' sort of diagnostic approach.

Viral detection, whether its RT-PCR, antigen kit detection or virus isolation is the best methodology to detect an outbreak as it is occurring. Serosurveillance will be interesting down the road to look at how many people were affected from a historical perspective.

Right, that's what I meant. It's important to help us learn about what to expect, and if we had a way to test for antibodies for this one in NYC on a widespread basis (for example), it would be helpful knowledge as infections spread to other areas. Correct? If nothing else, it would really help nail down the R0, right?

Sorry, I may have been unclear. When I said 'exposure', I meant historical exposure to the individual unit (a single person), not exposure rates between people (R0). Historical serosurveillance will only really be able to answer the question (weeks/ months later) of whether this person has ever been exposed to and mounted an immune response against this particular viral challenge. With some temporal exceptions (e.g., acute and convalescent serology), historical serosurveillance only really provides a binary "yes/no" answer.

Still, I will be interested to know-down the line-what the overall exposure rates will be for this. One hears politicos grasping hypothetical numbers of "50-70% of the population" will be exposed to this virus. I dunno. It's possible, I guess. But my gut says that's probably too high. Time will tell.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 3/23/2020 5:07:29 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1741
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:13:48 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

being able to test for antibodies is going to be critical to our understanding. We aren't able to do so yet.

Antibody studies (presumably from blood samples) are a poor way of tracking a fulminant outbreak. Serologic antibody screening is useful for determining historical exposure, but antibody production takes several weeks post-exposure to develop sufficient to detect. It's a 'rear view mirror' sort of diagnostic approach.

Viral detection, whether its RT-PCR, antigen kit detection or virus isolation is the best methodology to detect an outbreak as it is occurring. Serosurveillance will be interesting down the road to look at how many people were affected from a historical perspective.

Right, that's what I meant. It's important to help us learn about what to expect, and if we had a way to test for antibodies for this one in NYC on a widespread basis (for example), it would be helpful knowledge as infections spread to other areas. Correct? If nothing else, it would really help nail down the R0, right?

Sorry, I may have been unclear. When I said 'exposure', I meant historical exposure to the individual unit (a single person), not exposure rates between people (R0). Historical serosurveillance will only really be able to answer the question (weeks/ months later) of whether this person has ever been exposed to and mounted an immune response against this particular viral challenge. With some temporal exceptions (e.g., acute and convalescent serology), historical serosurveillance only really provides a binary "yes/no" answer.

Still, I will be interested to know-down the line-what the overall exposure rates will be for this. One hears politicos grasping hypothetical numbers of "50-70% of the population" will be exposed to this virus. I dunno. It's possible, I guess. But my gut says that's probably too high. Time will tell.

I'm also in the "we'll see" camp.

Somewhere between 5-20% of the US population gets the flu every year (I couldn't find an exposure number), and its R0 is somewhere in the mid 1.something range, as far as a quick google search can tell me. If COVID19 really has an R0 in the low 2.something range, it would stand to reason that the exposure rate would be higher, but I don't know how to model how much higher (just that it wouldn't be linear, so if flu is 1.4 and COVID is 2.1, you can't just multiply the flu rate by 1.5).

FWIW, the guidance we received in my work (we provide social services) from health officials was that ~35% of our workforce could expect to be infected. But it was pretty obvious that this was just a best guess from ~10 days ago.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1742
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:14:20 PM   
ITAKLinus

Today's data:

+3.780 infections
+602 deaths
+408 cured

Francesco

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1743
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:16:33 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

Today's data:

+3.780 infections
+602 deaths
+408 cured

Looks like the numbers are going in the right direction. It is now about 14 days after the regional lockdowns started, right?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1744
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:17:18 PM   
Canoerebel

That's another drop in daily mortality for Italy. Good news, if trending (but last week the numbers flattered only to deceive).

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1745
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:21:34 PM   
Canoerebel

Italy - reason for a dash of hope today. Here's hoping it doesn't reverse, as happened last week.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1746
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:25:13 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Today's data:

+3.780 infections
+602 deaths
+408 cured

Looks like the numbers are going in the right direction. It is now about 14 days after the regional lockdowns started, right?

Yes. However, as I mentioned in another post down in the thread, there have been several steps in the lockdown. So, some cities/provinces have done the lockdown earlier or in a stricter way. Other ones, later.

We can say that it has been 14 days in general, though.

Fingers crossed.

Today's numbers are encouraging and it's the second day in a row, after the peak of 2 days ago.

Francesco

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1747
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:31:07 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Italy - reason for a dash of hope today. Here's hoping it doesn't reverse, as happened last week.

The drop you mentioned was just a statistical aberrance.

What happened is that the first villages/cities infected got into the total lockdown and therefore there has been a drop in that date. Then, since the virus had already travelled, we had the 2 days ago's peak.
Now we are in the total lockdown, so there shouldn't be places where the virus has arrived without major restrictions in place.

This week is definitely the decisive one. If we fail now, we're screwed.

To make an example, some people got infected in the small village of Codogno. Then, the area went in lockdown but it was too late since the virus had already arrived in nearby cities. That's when we got the lowering of deaths you underlined in red.

After that, everything has been closed and therefore now there shouldn't be places where the virus has arrived without being into the lockdown phase.

That's why I am plenty of hopes but also terribly worried: we cannot fail now, since we are now in the week in which we should see the effects of the full lockdown.

Francesco

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1748
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:32:52 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Somewhere between 5-20% of the US population gets the flu every year (I couldn't find an exposure number), and its R0 is somewhere in the mid 1.something range, as far as a quick google search can tell me. If COVID19 really has an R0 in the low 2.something range, it would stand to reason that the exposure rate would be higher, but I don't know how to model how much higher (just that it wouldn't be linear, so if flu is 1.4 and COVID is 2.1, you can't just multiply the flu rate by 1.5).

Yeah, but that R0 for influenza really only is relevant for the negligible (except for vaccination) precautions that we take for it. No masks on commercial flights. Awful handwashing techniques and protocols. Poor 'don't come to work if you're sick' workplace protocols/enforcement. Etcetera. That paradigm has globally changed for COVID-19, so I don't expect a laboratory-determined number to be relevant in the face of such unusually stringent social distancing and other non-pharmacologic prevention efforts.

If there is a bright spot, it's in the Peltzman effect of risk homeostasis: Preventative and protective measures for COVID-19 will likely decrease the overall mortality of the most susceptible groups to other diseases that are similar risks. I expect this flu season's mortality (and next year's) to be below 'average' as a result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1749
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:34:11 PM   
Canoerebel

Your assessment is good to hear, Francesco. If Italy has truly peaked and started it's downward curve, hurrah!

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1750
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:38:32 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Unsure if posted already - well worth a read.

Also, I was impressed with the quality of the data viz - an example of charts done right

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

The most thorough I've seen and the best at showing this through visuals. Thanks

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 1751
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:45:03 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

That's another drop in daily mortality for Italy. Good news, if trending (but last week the numbers flattered only to deceive).

Mortality is a lagging indicator of the leading edge of the infection 'wave'. Those that die from this virus and its complications were infected some weeks ago. I too want to see the mortality drop off, but I'm more interested in the waning of 'new cases' to track the progression of the virus through a given population.

Also, I've been following Japan more closely. They've got one of the oldest populations on the planet and they've had comparatively few cases to date, in spite of widespread testing. As far as I'm concerned, they're the champs at social distancing and 'flattening the curve'-a model for others. I'd like to hear more about how they've successfully stemmed the tide so far.

Of course, they're an island. Relatively xenophobic culture. Social distancing is their normative behavior anyways. No PDAs or touchy-feely in public. Perhaps that's the key to all this.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1752
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:50:05 PM   
Canoerebel

Question, Andre, from me of peanut gallery credentials: aren't the new case numbers highly erratic/suspect so that trying to detect trends is much less certain than using mortality? And, since mortality lags, doesn't that make it a more reliable indicator that the pandemic is declining, once a true downward trend develops?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1753
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:50:45 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

A friend of mine shared that she may have had COVID-19 in Florida in January. She had some flu-like illness that wasn't the flu with several days of fever that ibuprofen didn't do much for, and intense shortness of breath and was out for about 10 days.

Of course it's just speculation as she was never tested for the disease (it wasn't really on most of our radar in January), but I could see it being present around that time.

Indeed just speculation, although theoretically possible. Blow her case up to the rest of the population and it becomes obvious why being able to test for antibodies is going to be critical to our understanding. We aren't able to do so yet.

Worth noting that there was a particularly nasty strain of seasonal cold or flu going around in December/January. Both people in my household had it, as did just about my entire office. It started making the rounds in the first week or so of December, which was before this coronavirus really appeared.

I got it in November. And kept feeling like it hung around until late February. Interestingly this is just after my wife returned from a trip to China. No idea if there is a connection, but considering she was not in Wuhan, I'm pretty positive it wasn't Covid-19. No fever or cough.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1754
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 5:52:43 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

Your assessment is good to hear, Francesco. If Italy has truly peaked and started it's downward curve, hurrah!

Now there are two major considerations:

I) The decline in the numbers is a statistical aberrance. In line of principle we should see a decline during the week, therefore we can say that the current positive trend might have arrive a little bit too early than supposed.

II) The south. Southern Italy has so far basically no cases but we don't know yet whether it's because we somehow blocked the arrival of the virus to those places or we have yet to see the big wave of infections. We'll know that during the course of this week. To be sure, over the course of the next couple of weeks.

On a side note.
We, Italians, we are the worst possible ambassadors of our country, because we always tend to give extremely negative impressions of it around the world when it comes to things like this emergency.
In reality, I think that the country is managing the emergency in a surprisingly efficient and organised way. Also, it looks like the population is respecting the quarantine quite well, all considered. Of course, we are far from the "chinese way", but I think that in western societies that would have been impossible. Finally, I think that even the Chinese have experienced many, many troubles in the logistics when they had to lockdown Hubei.
The biggest issue is probably the economy, since it's quite likely that the "nordic club" (Netherlands and Germany in primis) within the EU won't help us much (if at all). I mean, Czech Republic literally stole face masks and respirators sent by China to Italy.

Francesco

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1755
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 6:00:58 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

quote:

Mortality is a lagging indicator of the leading edge of the infection 'wave'. Those that die from this virus and its complications were infected some weeks ago. I too want to see the mortality drop off, but I'm more interested in the waning of 'new cases' to track the progression of the virus through a given population.

Also, I've been following Japan more closely. They've got one of the oldest populations on the planet and they've had comparatively few cases to date, in spite of widespread testing. As far as I'm concerned, they're the champs at social distancing and 'flattening the curve'-a model for others. I'd like to hear more about how they've successfully stemmed the tide so far.

Of course, they're an island. Relatively xenophobic culture. Social distancing is their normative behavior anyways. No PDAs or touchy-feely in public. Perhaps that's the key to all this.

There is a major flaw in this reasoning. It relies on a number, the new infections, that is not really reliable.
Deaths are much easier to count and are "certain" by definition (unless the population starts to massively hide dead bodies, something I find quite... unlikely).

Now, it's probable that the number of infected people is grossly underestimated and that it reflects more the capability of a system (region/city/country) to test its citizens. Basically, if I have 10.000 positive people per-day and I can do 3.000 tests, I will never ever be able to track/test all of the 10.000.

On the other side, deaths are very easy to track even if the information we receive is delayed.

I suppose another important indicator is the number of people who got accepted in intensive care units. Still, also there, there can be under-tracking due to the fact that some people don't reach the hospital etcetc. Also, since the number of ICUs is finite, we can have that the number represents more the capacity of the hospitals, rather than information about the spreading of the virus.

I'm a strong proponent of deaths as the most reliable information. Secondarily, people admitted to ICUs and hospitalized.

Francesco

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1756
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 6:04:55 PM   
Wuffer

On a sidenote, there were some critical observations regarding the claimed quantity of tests.

Perhaps we should differentate between high valid and work intensive laboratory tests and more 'quick-n-dirty' on location sticks

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-german-tests-develop-private-pharma-company-cdc-a9406956.html?utm_source=reddit.com

(Please let us overlook the political bias g'men, this is not the intention; unfortunately I couldn't find a more serious source in English, the relevant content was copied from a reliable german newspaper).
Meanwhile the Koreans are producing an advanced second generation. The problem of course is the unfomfortable high amount on 'false positives', which is the reason it was not choosen by the German health Departement as far as I know, only locally in some hospitals.

Regarding the real trustworthy tests, one might realize that they are not only quite work intensive, but could also only conducted by highly trained personal.

https://out.reddit.com/t3_fnhn9t?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ascls.org%2Fimages%2FLabvocate%2FCOVID-19_ASCLS_Letter_CongressionalLeaders_FINAL.pdf&token=AQAAhQR5Xq5MQO2Ml3XJizmkLdVrGQt4hgqS7NrSWNxiDN3rztYn&app_name=mweb2x

“ASCLS believes we are unlikely to see the needed SARS-CoV2/COVID-19 testing capacity for at least a month and perhaps more, even under the best of circumstances.”

Finally, an overlook about the WHO's position and the reality in field...

https://euobserver.com/coronavirus/147830

It's obvious that the few capacities atm are best used for medic key personal and other decision makers.
(Sry for spelling, it's the crappy phone again as internet went down - in Hamburg?!)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1757
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 6:22:41 PM   
Wuffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Also, I was impressed with the quality of the data viz - an example of charts done right

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

The most thorough I've seen and the best at showing this through visuals. Thanks

+1

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1758
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 6:43:02 PM   
warspite1

warspite1

Its expected that Boris will announce much stricter rules tonight. I hope he doesn't go so far as the Belgians - although at least they are trying to be sensible about it. It's only non-essential threesomes that are a problem. Phew.... that's a relief.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 1759
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 7:07:01 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Its expected that Boris will announce much stricter rules tonight. I hope he doesn't go so far as the Belgians - although at least they are trying to be sensible about it. It's only non-essential threesomes that are a problem. Phew.... that's a relief.

Don't forget this important caveat: "in indoor areas"

So threesomes on the balcony or in the park are presumably OK, maybe even encouraged?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1760
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 7:07:14 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wuffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

+1

+2

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 1761
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 7:32:11 PM   
Wuffer

quote:

On a side note.
We, Italians, we are the worst possible ambassadors of our country, because we always tend to give extremely negative impressions of it around the world when it comes to things like this emergency.
In reality, I think that the country is managing the emergency in a surprisingly efficient and organised way. Also, it looks like the population is respecting the quarantine quite well, all considered. Of course, we are far from the "chinese way", but I think that in western societies that would have been impossible. Finally, I think that even the Chinese have experienced many, many troubles in the logistics when they had to lockdown Hubei.
The biggest issue is probably the economy, since it's quite likely that the "nordic club" (Netherlands and Germany in primis) within the EU won't help us much (if at all).

My deepest condolence.
Let's hope it will chance now and even if it's only symbolic, like a few transfered patients.

It's not the time to go into details, but we could be sure that some... foreign provocateurs had their finest hour :-/ as well as greedy businessmen ;-(
Thank you for open words.
Best wishes for you, your family and Italia!!

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1762
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 7:37:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is a major flaw in this reasoning. It relies on a number, the new infections, that is not really reliable.
Deaths are much easier to count and are "certain" by definition (unless the population starts to massively hide dead bodies, something I find quite... unlikely).

Now, it's probable that the number of infected people is grossly underestimated and that it reflects more the capability of a system (region/city/country) to test its citizens. Basically, if I have 10.000 positive people per-day and I can do 3.000 tests, I will never ever be able to track/test all of the 10.000.

On the other side, deaths are very easy to track even if the information we receive is delayed.

I suppose another important indicator is the number of people who got accepted in intensive care units. Still, also there, there can be under-tracking due to the fact that some people don't reach the hospital etcetc. Also, since the number of ICUs is finite, we can have that the number represents more the capacity of the hospitals, rather than information about the spreading of the virus.

I'm a strong proponent of deaths as the most reliable information. Secondarily, people admitted to ICUs and hospitalized.

You raise some good points. But if you want to use deaths (post awareness) as the most reliable indicator of successful implementation of an interventional strategy then you again need to look at Japan as a best-case scenario.

Their first case was identified on January 21. Their total deaths attributed to COVID-19 stands, as of today, at 41, with 235 recovered. Granted, their histogram of new confirmed cases has increased over the last 30 days, but its still less than 100/day. I understand that their testing is not as widespread as, say, South Korea. So maybe the 'other shoe has yet to drop', but it's worth looking at their (intrinsic?) social distancing as a means of preventing BOTH initial cases as well as the inherent mortality associated with those cases. Could the much ballyhooed South Korean response have benefited similarly? It bears more discovery.

I also assume from your comments that you mean people admitted to ICUs and hospitalized that *also happened to have COVID-19* (read: confirmed cases of COVID-19)? Tracking raw seasonal ICU visits / hospitalizations without the rationale for why they were hospitalized assumes too much causality to COVID-19. You will also be left with data confounders such as other respiratory diseases, age of the population at large and accessibility of hospital beds / ICU visits.

It is tempting to follow mortality from COVID-19 cases as a tracking measure. It's always been harder to 'hide the bodies' than it is to hide/ignore/understate/not find/not look for confirmed disease cases. But I'm old enough to remember the stigma associated with the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s. Death certificates ('cause of death') were routinely restated to avoid the social stigma of having a loved one associated with dying from AIDS. As a result, 'official' causes of death of Pneumocyctis carinii or Kaposi's Sarcoma or Cryptosporidiosis or other atypical diseases common in terminally immunosuppressed AIDS patients dramatically increased.

My father died from idiopathic chronic interstitial pulmonary fibrosis in 2017. He had a gradual decrease over about 5 years in his ability to breathe and oxygenate. His lungs effectively were scar tissue with insufficient lung function. "Idiopathic" means 'uncertain etiology/cause'. We worried a lot about him during a typical seasonal flu for the years he was sick, as any little respiratory ailment would have thrown him over the edge. He died from a massive heart attack. Had he instead picked up a fatal pneumococcus bacterial pneumonia or seasonal influenza or COVID-19, what should his death certificate had read? I believe that, in spite of his history of his disease (that disease is incurable and only goes 'one way') had he died in hospital today and be tested positive for COVID-19, that that's what would be on his death certificate. Unless there was a social stigma associated with it, in which cause of death verity may have come through.

I was reading about a man in Thailand that died in hospital with COVID-19. He was only in his 50s. Of course, he was originally in the hospital for Dengue. But I guess that got subsumed in the mortality reporting. We'd have never heard about his death unless he tested positive for COVID-19. And, by its mere presence, it became the presumptive cause of death.

So I believe that too many cases of co-morbidity are being wrapped into "COVID-19 mortality". Parsing out the details and sticking to some global system for ascribing official causality is far too cumbersome to already overworked hospital staff. At least with an RT-PCR test result, you have >95% chance of a "real" test result (positives are positives and negatives are negative). I don't think the same verity in the details is in the reported mortality for COVID-19.

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1763
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 7:38:39 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

warspite1

Aye. But what it *you* are the non-essential member of that threesome?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1764
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 8:00:47 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Change positions.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1765
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 10:29:38 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

I also assume from your comments that you mean people admitted to ICUs and hospitalized that *also happened to have COVID-19* (read: confirmed cases of COVID-19)? Tracking raw seasonal ICU visits / hospitalizations without the rationale for why they were hospitalized assumes too much causality to COVID-19. You will also be left with data confounders such as other respiratory diseases, age of the population at large and accessibility of hospital beds / ICU visits.

It is tempting to follow mortality from COVID-19 cases as a tracking measure. It's always been harder to 'hide the bodies' than it is to hide/ignore/understate/not find/not look for confirmed disease cases. But I'm old enough to remember the stigma associated with the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s. Death certificates ('cause of death') were routinely restated to avoid the social stigma of having a loved one associated with dying from AIDS. As a result, 'official' causes of death of Pneumocyctis carinii or Kaposi's Sarcoma or Cryptosporidiosis or other atypical diseases common in terminally immunosuppressed AIDS patients dramatically increased.

My father died from idiopathic chronic interstitial pulmonary fibrosis in 2017. He had a gradual decrease over about 5 years in his ability to breathe and oxygenate. His lungs effectively were scar tissue with insufficient lung function. "Idiopathic" means 'uncertain etiology/cause'. We worried a lot about him during a typical seasonal flu for the years he was sick, as any little respiratory ailment would have thrown him over the edge. He died from a massive heart attack. Had he instead picked up a fatal pneumococcus bacterial pneumonia or seasonal influenza or COVID-19, what should his death certificate had read? I believe that, in spite of his history of his disease (that disease is incurable and only goes 'one way') had he died in hospital today and be tested positive for COVID-19, that that's what would be on his death certificate. Unless there was a social stigma associated with it, in which cause of death verity may have come through.

I was reading about a man in Thailand that died in hospital with COVID-19. He was only in his 50s. Of course, he was originally in the hospital for Dengue. But I guess that got subsumed in the mortality reporting. We'd have never heard about his death unless he tested positive for COVID-19. And, by its mere presence, it became the presumptive cause of death.

So I believe that too many cases of co-morbidity are being wrapped into "COVID-19 mortality". Parsing out the details and sticking to some global system for ascribing official causality is far too cumbersome to already overworked hospital staff. At least with an RT-PCR test result, you have >95% chance of a "real" test result (positives are positives and negatives are negative). I don't think the same verity in the details is in the reported mortality for COVID-19.

I was reading this morning something along these lines - that the Italians are essentially categorising every death where the deceased has tested positive for CV19 as a 'Coronavirus death'. Other countries (I think an example was Germany but can't be sure from memory) are taking a higher threshold and only counting a death towards the statistic when they believe that the CV19 infection was the primary cause of death.

Unfortunately because every media outlet has a hour by hour flood of Coronavirus articles I can't find the article to link - I am 99% sure it was in the UK Guardian. It might even have been on here and I am repeating somebody else's post

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1766
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 10:45:56 PM   
Canoerebel

Yahoo News is carrying an article about a "Nobel Laureate from Stanford" who correctly estimated the extent of the outbreak in China and is optimistic about how things will turn out elsewhere.

The beginning of the article is excerpted, below. Here's the link: https://news.yahoo.com/why-nobel-laureate-predicts-quicker-210318391.html

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 1767
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 10:48:13 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

The John Hopkins site is definitely behaving a bit odd - all of the US cases have disappeared from their lists and they currently seem to have assigned all of France's deaths and recoveries to French Polynesia.

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 1768
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 10:48:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Well allow me if you will, the following, of course, purely hypothetical situation. The threesome involves a dashing, witty, bon viveur and international lover (lets call him mr w1), and two dark haired impossibly pretty young ladies (lets go with miss B and miss c - I can't possibly imagine who they may be referring to, can you?). I put it to you that in such a scenario, there really is at no point a non-essential member (fnarr, fnarr) so to speak.

I would make so bold as to venture that the above scenario is essential in all and every scenario - indoors, outdoors, wherever - and indeed should be compulsory. So with the greatest respect Ms Health Minister I don't believe a ban would apply here.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1769
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 10:49:24 PM   
Canoerebel

...another excerpt. The Stanford guy finds useful the same statistic portrayed in the chart posted yesterday that drew sharp criticism from a couple of gents.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI