Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 10:55:51 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

warspite1

Its expected that Boris will announce much stricter rules tonight. I hope he doesn't go so far as the Belgians - although at least they are trying to be sensible about it. It's only non-essential threesomes that are a problem. Phew.... that's a relief.

Aye. But what it *you* are the non-essential member of that threesome?
warspite1

Well allow me if you will, the following, of course, purely hypothetical situation. The threesome involves a dashing, witty, bon viveur and international lover (lets call him mr w1), and two dark haired impossibly pretty young ladies (lets go with miss B and miss c - I can't possibly imagine who they may be referring to, can you?). I put it to you that in such a scenario, there really is at no point a non-essential member (fnarr, fnarr) so to speak.

I would make so bold as to venture that the above scenario is essential in all and every scenario - indoors, outdoors, wherever - and indeed should be compulsory. So with the greatest respect Ms Health Minister I don't believe a ban would apply here.

I feel compelled to point out that 'miss B' is in fact, 'mrs B'. Which is not to say that I object to adultery, but 'mr B' might.
There are many other single and available young women who would happily partake in such an arrangement (see the AB thread).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1771
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 10:56:49 PM   
Canoerebel

A third and final excerpt.

It's interesting to see the occasional positive report. I heard the Italy news (2nd consecutive day, etc.) on national radio today. So a trickle of positive reports. A week ago, there was a post the positive news might begin appearing "in a week or so." Nothing definitive taking place yet, but glimmers of hope, here and there.

I talked to a prominent businessman in Atlanta today. He was audibly shocked to hear some encouraging tidbits, as we've touched on in here. He said the news in Atlanta is 100% negative and panicky. I've heard similar reports from 20-somethings fixated on social media.

If Italy has indeed turned, we're seeing the light at the end of a still-long tunnel.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/23/2020 11:09:01 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1772
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:00:19 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

Today's data:

+3.780 infections
+602 deaths
+408 cured

Hi ITAKLinus,

I wonder if some of this is living-style? Here in America, it's rare to have more than a nucleus family (parents and kids) living in the same household. Does Italy still have multi-generations (like maybe grandparents, parents, and kids) as kind of the norm within their household?

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1773
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:02:19 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

A third and final excerpt.

It's interesting to see the occasional positive report. I heard the Italy news (2nd consecutive day, etc.) on national radio today. So a trickle of positive reports. A week ago, there was a post the positive news might begin appearing "in a week or so." Nothing definitive taking place yet, but glimmers of hope, here and there.

It talked to a prominent businessman in Atlanta today. He was audibly shocked to hear some encouraging tidbits, as we've touched on in here. He said the news in Atlanta is 100% negative and panicky. I've heard similar reports from 20-somethings fixated on social media.

It Italy has indeed turned, we're seeing the light at the end of a still long tunnel.

I get that you're on the optimism train and going and full speed, but take care.

Wishful thinking undermines the massive seriousness of the situation.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1774
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:10:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's another drop in daily mortality for Italy. Good news, if trending (but last week the numbers flattered only to deceive).

Mortality is a lagging indicator of the leading edge of the infection 'wave'. Those that die from this virus and its complications were infected some weeks ago. I too want to see the mortality drop off, but I'm more interested in the waning of 'new cases' to track the progression of the virus through a given population.

Also, I've been following Japan more closely. They've got one of the oldest populations on the planet and they've had comparatively few cases to date, in spite of widespread testing. As far as I'm concerned, they're the champs at social distancing and 'flattening the curve'-a model for others. I'd like to hear more about how they've successfully stemmed the tide so far.

Of course, they're an island. Relatively xenophobic culture. Social distancing is their normative behavior anyways. No PDAs or touchy-feely in public. Perhaps that's the key to all this.

There is a major flaw in this reasoning. It relies on a number, the new infections, that is not really reliable.

Deaths are much easier to count and are "certain" by definition (unless the population starts to massively hide dead bodies, something I find quite... unlikely).

Now, it's probable that the number of infected people is grossly underestimated and that it reflects more the capability of a system (region/city/country) to test its citizens. Basically, if I have 10.000 positive people per-day and I can do 3.000 tests, I will never ever be able to track/test all of the 10.000.

On the other side, deaths are very easy to track even if the information we receive is delayed.

I suppose another important indicator is the number of people who got accepted in intensive care units.

I'm a strong proponent of deaths as the most reliable information. Secondarily, people admitted to ICUs and hospitalized.
warspite1

But it could be that deaths are unreliable too? I've no idea if this is true but there is talk of the way the Germans are dealing with deaths and whether they count as coronavirus victims. I would love to know more on this as, whichever way one tries to rationalise it, Germany's deaths and intensive care/critical numbers just seem totally at odds with the likes of Italy or Spain.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1775
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:13:23 PM   
Canoerebel

MindMessing, I'm not on any "train." These are mostly my thoughts, but it is encouraging to see that there are others. And this thing will end eventually, and the news will too. When is the question.

Not very open-minded to characterize my analysis as "wishful thinking," any more than it would be for me to call yours "irrational hysteria" (I wouldn't, because I don't think that.)

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 1776
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:14:29 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sammy5IsAlive

The John Hopkins site is definitely behaving a bit odd - all of the US cases have disappeared from their lists and they currently seem to have assigned all of France's deaths and recoveries to French Polynesia.

Hackers sow chaos wherever they find a chink ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 1777
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:18:18 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

Today's data:

+3.780 infections
+602 deaths
+408 cured

Hi ITAKLinus,

I wonder if some of this is living-style? Here in America, it's rare to have more than a nucleus family (parents and kids) living in the same household. Does Italy still have multi-generations (like maybe grandparents, parents, and kids) as kind of the norm within their household?

Yes, Italy has a lot of extended family situations, especially in the northern areas and smaller towns and villages. Spain apparently also has this custom (or so someone posted recently).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 1778
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:18:27 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's another drop in daily mortality for Italy. Good news, if trending (but last week the numbers flattered only to deceive).

Mortality is a lagging indicator of the leading edge of the infection 'wave'. Those that die from this virus and its complications were infected some weeks ago. I too want to see the mortality drop off, but I'm more interested in the waning of 'new cases' to track the progression of the virus through a given population.

Also, I've been following Japan more closely. They've got one of the oldest populations on the planet and they've had comparatively few cases to date, in spite of widespread testing. As far as I'm concerned, they're the champs at social distancing and 'flattening the curve'-a model for others. I'd like to hear more about how they've successfully stemmed the tide so far.

Of course, they're an island. Relatively xenophobic culture. Social distancing is their normative behavior anyways. No PDAs or touchy-feely in public. Perhaps that's the key to all this.

There is a major flaw in this reasoning. It relies on a number, the new infections, that is not really reliable.

Deaths are much easier to count and are "certain" by definition (unless the population starts to massively hide dead bodies, something I find quite... unlikely).

Now, it's probable that the number of infected people is grossly underestimated and that it reflects more the capability of a system (region/city/country) to test its citizens. Basically, if I have 10.000 positive people per-day and I can do 3.000 tests, I will never ever be able to track/test all of the 10.000.

On the other side, deaths are very easy to track even if the information we receive is delayed.

I suppose another important indicator is the number of people who got accepted in intensive care units.

I'm a strong proponent of deaths as the most reliable information. Secondarily, people admitted to ICUs and hospitalized.
warspite1

But it could be that deaths are unreliable too? I've no idea if this is true but there is talk of the way the Germans are dealing with deaths and whether they count as coronavirus victims. I would love to know more on this as, whichever way one tries to rationalise it, Germany's deaths and intensive care/critical numbers just seem totally at odds with the likes of Italy or Spain.

Similar to how the Germans and Allies counted 'wounded' differently in WWII.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1779
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:21:48 PM   
Canoerebel

Still, though, mortality would seem to be the most useful statistic, as long as the counting method doesn't change mid-stream. If Germany consistently approaches deaths via A, and Italy B, and UK C, but those methods are consistent, the data will be useful.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1780
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:27:17 PM   
alanschu

Italy does seem to be seeing a decline in new cases (and deaths) which is good. I hope it holds.

USA, Spain, and France all seeing pretty significant upticks in their new fatalities today though :(

France is interesting because it seemed to be stable for about 4-5 days but is a big jump so far today. New cases doubled too.

All 3 have pretty big jumps in new cases as well. My country (Canada) is still low on deaths but getting a hefty spike in detected cases.

(worldometers has been my primary source https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ )

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1781
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:29:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

MindMessing, I'm not on any "train." These are mostly my thoughts, but it is encouraging to see that there are others. And this thing will end eventually, and the news will too. When is the question.

Not very open-minded to characterize my analysis as "wishful thinking," any more than it would be for me to call yours "irrational hysteria" (I wouldn't, because I don't think that.)
warspite1

You carry on Canoerebel, I like the generally cautiously optimistic slant you give to proceedings round here.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1782
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:30:24 PM   
Canoerebel

I'd expect Spain, France, and the US to continue reporting increases, as their individual onsets were after Italy's. Italy seems about three weeks in while the US is about 10-12 days in (and, as others have noticed, some parts are more mature than others). If Italy has indeed turned the corner, it's possible other countries will follow a similar curve, with flattening after three weeks (or a few weeks after strong countermeasures imposed).

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 1783
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/23/2020 11:52:47 PM   
alanschu

I was curious about how things were in some of the smaller total case numbers areas and did see some potentially concerning upticks in new cases. Of course, new cases has challenges around it, though I'll defer to BBfanboy's statements that it's still a metric that has value (I had often been leaning death counts as well).

Canada saw a jump from 1470 to 2091 (42% increase)

Others
Austria: 3582 to 4474 (25%)
Portugal: 1600 to 2060 (29%)
Brazil: 1546 to 1924 (24%)
Israel: 1071 to 1442 (34%)
Romania: 433 to 576 (33%)
South Africa: 274 to 402 (46%)
India: 396 to 499 (26%)

Small numbers which can make a sudden shift shoot up, but hopefully these countries were able to get ahead of things. I'm not sure how the countries all relate in terms of ability to detect virus, family gatherings etc, as well as health care systems in general. Daily deaths are all still quite low for these countries.

(USA is also big still with a 29% increase, though I don't think this is news for anyone in this thread and I was trying to spot check bigger jumps among the smaller counts).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1784
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:07:54 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

I'd done a longer post but the site ate it for some reason. So sticking to cliff notes:

The major positive for me is that the evidence from China, S Korea and Japan shows that the spread of the virus can be slowed and indeed stopped in its tracks by a combination of government intervention and public behavioural changes. That is a really fundamental positive point - essentially we are in charge and not the virus.

I'm going to put the stuff about the Diamond Princess down to 'jury is still out'. As the article says it is an interesting self-contained 'experiment' and I certainly don't have the qualifications to outright say that he is wrong to to suggest that it is evidence that things are not as bad as people say they are. But from a layman's point of view I am not sure that a cruise ship is analogous to 'real life' communities - both in terms of demographics and in terms of behaviours. For me even if you scale up the numbers the spread and consequences of the virus in countries like China, Italy and now Spain are not behaving like the DP.

The area where I disagree - maybe not so much with him in particular but with others (not picking on you personally CR - there are plenty of people who share your outlook on this situation) that suggest that things will be back to 'normal' or close to it within a few weeks or perhaps months. For me the evidence is very clear is that the virus is contagious enough and has sufficiently adverse effects on enough people that if we go back to 'normal' or indeed something close to it the pattern of the last couple of months will just repeat itself. I think that each affected country is now going to be see-sawing between more and less stringent social distancing/lockdown measures as the virus gains and loses momentum accordingly. I'm hopeful that as time goes on, even before a vaccine is developed, the treatment of infected patients will improve from basic experience, improvement in health resources and hopefully from innovations in treatment (as opposed to prevention). The further and quicker that takes place the less pressure there is on health services and the sooner that things will be back closer to 'normal'. But I don't see that process as taking place in the immediate future - I think it is something we are going to be stuck with for months. Although the one caveat I would make to that for those of you in the States - when I am thinking of 'affected countries' I am treating US states as equivalent to European countries. I would not be surprised if a combination of travel restrictions, proactive testing and contact tracing and the simple dispersion of rural populations leads to some US states having very different, much more positive, outcomes and experiences than what has been seen elsewhere in the world.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1785
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:14:55 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

I was curious about how things were in some of the smaller total case numbers areas and did see some potentially concerning upticks in new cases. Of course, new cases has challenges around it, though I'll defer to BBfanboy's statements that it's still a metric that has value (I had often been leaning death counts as well).

Canada saw a jump from 1470 to 2091 (42% increase)

Others
Austria: 3582 to 4474 (25%)
Portugal: 1600 to 2060 (29%)
Brazil: 1546 to 1924 (24%)
Israel: 1071 to 1442 (34%)
Romania: 433 to 576 (33%)
South Africa: 274 to 402 (46%)
India: 396 to 499 (26%)

Small numbers which can make a sudden shift shoot up, but hopefully these countries were able to get ahead of things. I'm not sure how the countries all relate in terms of ability to detect virus, family gatherings etc, as well as health care systems in general. Daily deaths are all still quite low for these countries.

(USA is also big still with a 29% increase, though I don't think this is news for anyone in this thread and I was trying to spot check bigger jumps among the smaller counts).

I mentioned South Africa in a previous post. If things start getting momentum there and the virus gets into the townships it could potentially get really dreadful given the numbers of people in their population who have compromised immune systems through HIV/AIDs.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 1786
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:23:21 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Its expected that Boris will announce much stricter rules tonight. I hope he doesn't go so far as the Belgians - although at least they are trying to be sensible about it. It's only non-essential threesomes that are a problem. Phew.... that's a relief.

Aye. But what it *you* are the non-essential member of that threesome?
warspite1

Well allow me if you will, the following, of course, purely hypothetical situation. The threesome involves a dashing, witty, bon viveur and international lover (lets call him mr w1), and two dark haired impossibly pretty young ladies (lets go with miss B and miss c - I can't possibly imagine who they may be referring to, can you?). I put it to you that in such a scenario, there really is at no point a non-essential member (fnarr, fnarr) so to speak.

I would make so bold as to venture that the above scenario is essential in all and every scenario - indoors, outdoors, wherever - and indeed should be compulsory. So with the greatest respect Ms Health Minister I don't believe a ban would apply here.

I would say that miss B and miss c would be fine by themselves. They can come here as I am not in Belgium. As far as mr w1, he can stay home and remain in quarantine!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1787
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:27:41 AM   
alanschu

Found an interesting time map visualization of Italy here: https://www.piersoft.it/covid19/index2.php#6/41.838/13.881

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1788
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:30:01 AM   
geofflambert

Wow. Look at this number.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 1789
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:32:55 AM   
geofflambert

Never mind, that number is for all of France.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 1790
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:35:08 AM   
MakeeLearn

CVS to hire 50,000 workers, gives bonuses to employees amid Coronavirus pandemic

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/03/23/cvs-health-hiring-bonuses-coronavirus-covid-19-cvs-pharmacy/2897168001/

"The company plans to immediately hire 50,000 people for full-time, part-time and temporary jobs, including store positions, home delivery drivers, distribution workers and customer service representatives."

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 1791
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:39:39 AM   
MakeeLearn

I've never washed my hands so much as I have in the past three days. Dealing with locked doors, so "who" enters can be screen. Filling out forms and having temp taken with every entrance to a building.

I'am going to have the "Permission to Travel" paper framed, when all this is done.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1792
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:42:02 AM   
RangerJoe

In the United States.

quote:

In a dramatic sign of the coronavirus' anticipated toll, the Army Corps of Engineers is planning to convert vacant hotels, college dormitories and other facilities into intensive care wards with tens of thousands of makeshift hospital beds, first in New York but probably expanding to California and other states.

That announcement Friday at a Pentagon news conference by Lt. Gen Todd T. Semonite, commander of Army Corps of Engineers, marks an escalation of the U.S. military role. Already it is providing 2,000 ventilators and 5 million protective masks and preparing to dispatch hospital ships on both coasts. Governors are calling up thousands of National Guard troops.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/03/23/army-corps-engineers-convert-hotels-dorms-hospital-units-amid-outbreak.html

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1793
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:44:31 AM   
MakeeLearn

Man dies after self-medicating with chloroquine phosphate to treat coronavirus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/man-dies-after-self-medicating-with-chloroquine-phosphate-to-treat-coronavirus/

"Within 30 minutes of taking chloroquine phosphate, the man in his 60s experienced “immediate effects” and had to be admitted to a nearby Banner Health hospital, the medical system in Arizona said in a press release Monday.

His wife, also in her 60s, is in critical condition after taking the additive, which is used in aquariums to kill some organisms, like algae, that may harm fish."

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1794
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:45:49 AM   
MakeeLearn

Coronavirus Rumor Control

https://www.fema.gov/coronavirus-rumor-control

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1795
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:48:14 AM   
geofflambert

Angela Merkel

https://youtu.be/F9ei40nxKDc

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1796
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:51:48 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/man-dies-after-self-medicating-with-chloroquine-phosphate-to-treat-coronavirus/

"Within 30 minutes of taking chloroquine phosphate, the man in his 60s experienced “immediate effects” and had to be admitted to a nearby Banner Health hospital, the medical system in Arizona said in a press release Monday.

His wife, also in her 60s, is in critical condition after taking the additive, which is used in aquariums to kill some organisms, like algae, that may harm fish."

Along similar lines

https://www.msn.com/en-my/news/world/44-people-die-from-alcohol-poisoning-after-trying-to-ward-off-coronavirus-with-bootleg-booze-in-iran/ar-BB10ZtK4

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1797
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:58:13 AM   
Zorch

quote:

I've never washed my hands so much as I have in the past three days. Dealing with locked doors, so "who" enters can be screen. Filling out forms and having temp taken with every entrance to a building.

I'am going to have the "Permission to Travel" paper framed, when all this is done.

I want "Permission to Travel" papers for my basketball team.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1798
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 1:08:48 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

As they always say in Toxicology classes, "The dose makes the poison."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1799
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 1:14:31 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I put it to you

Oh no you don't. Get the **** away from me with that thing.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI