Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 11:30:53 AM   
Ian R

And here is what is happening in India:

Situation in Inda

quote:

A fundamental difference between India and Australia, according to experts, is that many Asian countries have experience in dealing with the threat of a disease epidemic.

"Asian countries have been primed for some time now," Professor K Shrinath Reddy from the Public Health Foundation of India told the ABC.

"You [Australia] have lost a bit of touch with infectious diseases."

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 1831
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:18:03 PM   
obvert

A very interesting article, and something I mentioned very early on, when those first two cases showed up. No testing, who knows how many cases, and odd isn't that people leaving Indonesia seem to have contracted it there?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

But perhaps Niall should stick to history, and not dabble in mathematics.

quote:

Professor Niall Ferguson from Imperial College in London agrees that one death corresponds to at least 1,000 cases in the community, assuming a death rate of about 1 per cent.

In above link.

Ahhh, the joys of choosing soundbites out of context. I'm pretty sure basic maths is in his sphere of knowledge.

Professor Niall Ferguson from Imperial College in London agrees that one death corresponds to at least 1,000 cases in the community, assuming a death rate of about 1 per cent.

But he believes the spread of coronavirus may be doubling even more quickly.

"We think epidemics in the absence of control measures … probably double every five days or so. And only about one in 100 people infected die," Professor Ferguson said.

"The deaths we see today take 20 days or so from when you develop symptoms to when they die. So the deaths we see today correspond to the epidemic 20 days ago.

"And that gives you … the epidemic must have been about 10 times smaller then. You multiply that by a factor of 100 in cases to death. And you get about a 1,000-fold multiplier."

In fact, a lower death rate — of say 0.5, which some scientists support — would indicate an even higher number of cases in the community, because statistically it would mean one death per 200 cases instead of one in every 100.

And adding on fro the article on India (thanks Ian R, very interesting read).

Over the past two decades, Professor Reddy listed a range of diseases as having "knocked at the door" of India, including H1N1 (swine flu), H5N1 (bird flu) and SARS.

Swine flu in particular has been difficult to eradicate, and so far at least 28 people have died from the infection this year, compared to only three confirmed deaths from COVID-19.

The experience has reinforced the view in India that harsh responses might come at an economic cost, but they're worth it.

"The economic cost of letting it run through the country like a blazing fire is much higher," Professor Reddy said.

So we may see two countries with similar demographics battle this in very different ways. The last sentence makes me fear the impact of Indonesia's response so far.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/24/2020 12:26:01 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 1832
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:20:34 PM   
MakeeLearn

The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic: A New Flu Virus Emerges

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

"Tn the spring of 2009, a novel influenza A (H1N1) virus emerged. It was detected first in the United States and spread quickly across the United States and the world. This new H1N1 virus contained a unique combination of influenza genes not previously identified in animals or people."

"From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were

60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million),
274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719),
and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus."

"Additionally, CDC estimated that:
151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated,
globally, 80 percent of (H1N1)pdm09 virus-related deaths were estimated to have occurred in people younger than 65 years of age.

This differs greatly from typical seasonal influenza epidemics, during which about 70 percent to 90 percent of deaths are estimated to occur in people 65 years and older."

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/24/2020 12:38:31 PM >

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 1833
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 12:36:25 PM   
Wuffer

No! Please not - we have already three (3) birdies atm afaik, Phillipines, Indiana and the usual culprit (starts with C ). 😂

:-))

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1834
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 1:47:23 PM   
MakeeLearn

Dan Patrick says he is willing to risk his own life to allow economy to resume

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dan-patrick-says-he-is-willing-to-risk-his-own-life-to-allow-economy-to-resume/ar-BB11BH4u?li=BBnb7Kz

"... Texas Lt. Gov Dan Patrick said on Fox News he agrees with the president and would be willing to risk his own life to return to normal conditions."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 1835
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 2:50:08 PM   
MakeeLearn

Last updated: March 24, 2020, 14:45 GMT
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 1836
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 2:53:08 PM   
Canoerebel

That chart of Italy's daily deaths, with two days of encouraging decline, is as of 3/23. Today's update should come around 1 p.m. eastern (US) time. Everybody with their finger on the pulse of this thing is awaiting those numbers.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1837
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 3:01:06 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

A very interesting article, and something I mentioned very early on, when those first two cases showed up. No testing, who knows how many cases, and odd isn't that people leaving Indonesia seem to have contracted it there?

quote:

quote:

In above link.

Ahhh, the joys of choosing soundbites out of context. I'm pretty sure basic maths is in his sphere of knowledge.

"We think epidemics in the absence of control measures … probably double every five days or so. And only about one in 100 people infected die," Professor Ferguson said.

"The deaths we see today take 20 days or so from when you develop symptoms to when they die. So the deaths we see today correspond to the epidemic 20 days ago.

"And that gives you … the epidemic must have been about 10 times smaller then. You multiply that by a factor of 100 in cases to death. And you get about a 1,000-fold multiplier."

In fact, a lower death rate — of say 0.5, which some scientists support — would indicate an even higher number of cases in the community, because statistically it would mean one death per 200 cases instead of one in every 100.

Over the past two decades, Professor Reddy listed a range of diseases as having "knocked at the door" of India, including H1N1 (swine flu), H5N1 (bird flu) and SARS.

Swine flu in particular has been difficult to eradicate, and so far at least 28 people have died from the infection this year, compared to only three confirmed deaths from COVID-19.

The experience has reinforced the view in India that harsh responses might come at an economic cost, but they're worth it.

"The economic cost of letting it run through the country like a blazing fire is much higher," Professor Reddy said.

So we may see two countries with similar demographics battle this in very different ways. The last sentence makes me fear the impact of Indonesia's response so far.

But he still flubbed the basic math! If it doubles every ~5 days, then 20 days is a factor of 2^4, which is 16, not 10! (What is the rate of doubling, anyway?)

I'll agree that Niall is a credentialed historian, but this isn't really his area of expertise.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1838
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 3:41:47 PM   
Canoerebel

The Daily Mail posted this startling, misleading graph. It tells the truth but not the whole truth. A percentage of the population (certainly Forumites) understand the utility and weaknesses of this graph, but the media presents it without context (without "the whole truth" so often key to comprehension). The casual reader - the layman - doesn't have context, takes a look, and shudders. He knows that Italy has been ground zero for weeks and concludes that the US is in far worse shape. He doesn't have time to do the quick calculation needed to understand this is raw numbers rather than per capita, that the graph has a seriously distorted y axis, etc.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/24/2020 3:42:43 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1839
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 3:43:56 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That chart of Italy's daily deaths, with two days of encouraging decline, is as of 3/23. Today's update should come around 1 p.m. eastern (US) time. Everybody with their finger on the pulse of this thing is awaiting those numbers.

No need to wait - the Italian numbers are looking very good. The decreases are too large to be seen as statistical noise and are mirrored (to one degree or another) in almost every province. After peaking on the 19th (red), the rate of increase held steady for two more days (yellow) and has been dropping noticeably since (green). It's particularly noticeable in the north, where the rate of increase has been cut in half (red circles).

Looking just at Lombardy (which has been driving the numbers from the start), the number of new cases was "only" 1500, a number last seen on the 18th. This is real.

Also, RFalvo69 can take heart from the numbers in Calabria. The rate of increase is at 7% (well below the new national average), but more importantly, at least one patient has come back to life! (salmon colored cells)

Pertinent links:

1) Daily Italian Stats by province here

2) Original post with regional map of Italy here

3) The last post on this topic here

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kull -- 3/24/2020 3:45:10 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1840
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 3:44:16 PM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

quote:

In above link.

The nicest thing I've Heard said about Niall was by Sir Antony Beevor (during questions at the end of a a talk) - something to the effect -

'I prefer to leave the counter factuals to Niall Ferguson and Andrew Roberts"

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1841
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 3:47:04 PM   
witpqs

Not to mention population of Italy = 60 million, population of USA = 327 million.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1842
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 3:48:08 PM   
DD696

The governor of New York is giving daily news conference, predicting their apex in 14-21 days and they will need 140,000 hospital beds and 40,000 ventilators. They have 3000 ventilators and states he has procured an additional 7000. He wants FEMA to send ALL of their stockpile - 20,000 - to New York now. When he is through with them he will send them to whoever needs them next.

I think there is something wrong with that view. We all will have needs. Ration them appropriately.

< Message edited by DD696 -- 3/24/2020 3:58:14 PM >

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1843
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 3:49:06 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, Kull.

As goes Italy, so goes the the world.**

**Generally speaking. There will be perturbations, some countries better and some worse, some sooner and some later. But if Italy, with all the handicaps it faced (earlier onset of the virus, age, social proximity, etc.) turns the corner now, the numbers most certainly aren't going to be apocalyptic.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 1844
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 4:05:44 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The Daily Mail posted this startling, misleading graph. It tells the truth but not the whole truth. A percentage of the population (certainly Forumites) understand the utility and weaknesses of this graph, but the media presents it without context (without "the whole truth" so often key to comprehension). The casual reader - the layman - doesn't have context, takes a look, and shudders. He knows that Italy has been ground zero for weeks and concludes that the US is in far worse shape. He doesn't have time to do the quick calculation needed to understand this is raw numbers rather than per capita, that the graph has a seriously distorted y axis, etc.

"Figures don't lie, but liars sure do figure"

Yep, it's a function of the increased testing currently underway in the the US, now over 303K country-wide. Here's the upper half of the current chart on the wiki. Note in particular that the subsets for New York and Washington appear directly above those for Lombardy and Emilia-Romagna, in each case the the two hardest-hit provinces/states in their respective countries. The "tests per million" in each state is almost at the Italian level for the country as a whole, and will probably reach those of Lombardy/ER within the next few days. Meaning the "scary chart" will definitely look scarier, but in most cases it's showing things that are already there, just currently invisible.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1845
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 4:43:07 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

And here is what is happening in India:

Situation in Inda

quote:

A fundamental difference between India and Australia, according to experts, is that many Asian countries have experience in dealing with the threat of a disease epidemic.

"Asian countries have been primed for some time now," Professor K Shrinath Reddy from the Public Health Foundation of India told the ABC.

"You [Australia] have lost a bit of touch with infectious diseases."

I think India's hot weather will make it less vulnerable than countries up north; Virus die quicker in warm weather. The opposite of bacterial diseases, which are so common there

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 1846
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 4:49:44 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In above link.

The nicest thing I've Heard said about Niall was by Sir Antony Beevor (during questions at the end of a a talk) - something to the effect -

'I prefer to leave the counter factuals to Niall Ferguson and Andrew Roberts"

Assuming I'm not being whooshed by a joke here - I think this is a sub-editing error. There is a Neil Ferguson at Imperial College who is an epidemiologist who I assume is the person who is actually being quoted.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/neil.ferguson

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 1847
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 4:59:12 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

In above link.

Love Niall Ferguson. Great speaker and I've enjoyed his books immensely. But he's *not* an infectious disease expert. His quote reinforces my previous comments about mortality being a 'lagging indicator' (as economists would say) though.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1848
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:00:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sammy5IsAlive

Assuming I'm not being whooshed by a joke here - I think this is a sub-editing error. There is a Neil Ferguson at Imperial College who is an epidemiologist who I assume is the person who is actually being quoted.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/neil.ferguson

Correct. Niall is an economist and historian, not an epidemiologist.

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 1849
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:02:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

The governor of New York is giving daily news conference, predicting their apex in 14-21 days and they will need 140,000 hospital beds and 40,000 ventilators. They have 3000 ventilators and states he has procured an additional 7000. He wants FEMA to send ALL of their stockpile - 20,000 - to New York now. When he is through with them he will send them to whoever needs them next.

I think there is something wrong with that view. We all will have needs. Ration them appropriately.

Agreed. The governor of the state of New York doesn't care (by definition) about the governor or the people of Idaho. Federal reserves (e.g., FEMA) need to be held for the greater national need rather than apportioned to whomsoever makes the greatest land grab first.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 1850
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:07:50 PM   
ITAKLinus

Today's data from Italy:

- Cured : 894 (total of 8.326)
- Infected : 3.612 (total of 54.030)
- Deaths : 743

Francesco

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1851
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:08:35 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

This is the cases chart with the relatively new multi-country charts below. Very interesting comparisons, and some countries that are starting to have worrying trajectories, like Turkey, Pakistan and Ecuador.

Any charts that correct for per capita cases, obvert? The United States is the third most populous country in the world. Comparing raw case numbers for the trajectory compared to a place like Switzerland with less than 10% of our population seems spurious.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1852
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:15:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Switching focus to our northern neighbor, Indonesia's apparent "luck" seems to simply be a case of non testing, non reporting, and non treatment.

Coronavirus COVID-19 death rate in Indonesia is the highest in the world. Experts say it's because reported case numbers are too low

"I'm surprised!" said noone. I gave a talk in Colombia in the late 1990s about "why" they don't have recognized cases of avian influenza. It wasn't well received by the locals. It turns out that they don't test for it and have all manner of other endemic diseases with similar clinical signs. So they assume that it's those, don't test for AI and...voila! No avian influenza.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 1853
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:21:06 PM   
Canoerebel

As noted by ITAKLinus above, Italy's numbers just updated. Up from yesterday but below peak numbers. IE, still in line with leveling off, hopefully. Kull, with his knack for working with granularity, might offer further insight.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1854
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:22:01 PM   
ITAKLinus

I believe that we have to wait until the end of the week. If it doesn't change the trend, we are really, really ****ed.

This morning the commander in chief of the emergency said that there are probably ten times more cases around the country (asymptomatics) and with today's not encouraging data, it's gonna be tough.

Let's see whether tomorrow will be better. Second highes deathtoll since the beginning of the epidemy is not encouraging at all.

Francesco

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1855
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:22:33 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

... I gave a talk in Colombia in the late 1990s...

Was your talk at about the same time as Ross's (crsutton's) chat with the Chilean prostitute?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1856
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:25:29 PM   
alanschu

Unfortunate about Italy though based on say, China, I suspect that part of the flattening will involve an actual plateau, as opposed to a sudden decline.

It's funny how anxious I am for their results hahaha.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1857
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:28:12 PM   
Canoerebel

We're all pulling for Italy!

It would've been encouraging to see those numbers drop again. Given Italy's population, the death toll is significant by seasonal flu measures. But the new case reports and daily mortality figures have been relatively stable the past four to six days.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

I believe that we have to wait until the end of the week. If it doesn't change the trend, we are really, really ****ed.

This morning the commander in chief of the emergency said that there are probably ten times more cases around the country (asymptomatics) and with today's not encouraging data, it's gonna be tough.

Let's see whether tomorrow will be better. Second highes deathtoll since the beginning of the epidemy is not encouraging at all.

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1858
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:28:46 PM   
Canoerebel

I feel the same way, alanschu. I'm sure a lot of folks here do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

Unfortunate about Italy though based on say, China, I suspect that part of the flattening will involve an actual plateau, as opposed to a sudden decline.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/24/2020 5:29:04 PM >

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 1859
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/24/2020 5:33:30 PM   
Canoerebel

Per alanschu's observation, the daily mortality figures were roughly flat, with perturbations, for about 15 days.

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

Attachment (1)

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 1860
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI