Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 7:39:00 PM   
MakeeLearn

I made a small sacrifice today. I wanted to go look at Case knifes. I want a blue one. The local seller is the Drugstore. Thinking of those that I have to be around at work, I did not stop.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/26/2020 7:42:45 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2161
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 8:10:40 PM   
rader

Well, he sits next to me at work but he was out most of last week and I can't recall talking much to him when he was there. I think in passing a few times, but he was probably asymptomatic at the time. Definitely didn't shake hands or anything. But I do recall eating some chocolate he brought back from Spain, so that's probably it. The old poisoned chocolate trick!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2162
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 8:12:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

I had contact with a confirmed positive last week who came back from Spain and this week I have had a bit of a fever and mild respiratory symptoms (shortness of breath).

I've been in isolation for all this week, since I found out about the exposure. Had a video appointment with a medical service and they think I probably have it but they aren't testing people like me - just telling us to self-isolate. It's definitely a very mild case (so far). I'm pretty young (40) and in good health so I'm not very worried, but it does make me think there must be a lot of cases out there that we're not including in the statistics. I had another friend too who also had all the symptoms, self-isolated, but couldn't get a test.

Get better soon, rader!

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2163
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 8:16:02 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Well, he sits next to me at work but he was out most of last week and I can't recall talking much to him when he was there. I think in passing a few times, but he was probably asymptomatic at the time. Definitely didn't shake hands or anything. But I do recall eating some chocolate he brought back from Spain, so that's probably it. The old poisoned chocolate trick!

At least it was not made with Ex-Lax.

Be safe and I hope that you get better soon.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2164
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 8:43:32 PM   
Q-Ball

Looks like US will be #1 in total cases by tomorrow morning; as of right now, just a little behind Italy and China, but we are growing much faster.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 2165
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 8:50:56 PM   
Canoerebel

Hey, rader, best of luck with this.

I think MacLean posted here a week or ten days ago about the possibility he had been exposed. He hasn't posted an update in awhile, to my knowledge.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2166
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 8:57:25 PM   
obvert

quote:

Right. The poisoned chocolate trick!

Damn.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2167
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 9:21:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Something else to worry about. Hypertension seems to be a risk factor for more severe Covid-19 disease. Covid seems to selectively bind to the ACE-2 enzyme as a means of cell entry. This enzyme is strongly induced (rises in numbers) with treatment with the two most effective and widely used anti-hypertensives (ACE inhibitors and ARB's (Angiotensin Receptor Blockers))

This is a biological curiosity but it is a real risk? It's a BIG deal because hundreds of millions of people take them and they clearly save lives.American College of Cardiology advises doctors NOT to stop the meds. It seems we need another study pronto and this would have to be sizable to detect a difference

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/ace-inhibitors-arbs-and-covid-19-what-gps-need-to

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2168
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 9:49:14 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

I had contact with a confirmed positive last week who came back from Spain and this week I have had a bit of a fever and mild respiratory symptoms (shortness of breath).

I've been in isolation for all this week, since I found out about the exposure. Had a video appointment with a medical service and they think I probably have it but they aren't testing people like me - just telling us to self-isolate. It's definitely a very mild case (so far). I'm pretty young (40) and in good health so I'm not very worried, but it does make me think there must be a lot of cases out there that we're not including in the statistics. I had another friend too who also had all the symptoms, self-isolated, but couldn't get a test.

This, exactly! Rader, you will be one of millions of cases that will never be counted or included in any reported totals.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2169
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 9:56:12 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

Some nasty spillovers are emerging, eventually.

The average deaths in the last years in Bergamo have been 98 between 01/03 and 24/03.

Total amount of deaths among residents has been 446.

Total amount of deaths due Cov-19: 136.

There are 212 deaths more than the average, then.

Is that 212 number because hospital critical care could not take in the critical non-Covid-19 patients because of lack of capacity?

Think what typically happens if someone is at home and has heart pains. They call 911, an ambulance arrives within a reasonable amount of time, they are treated on the spot and transported to a hospital ER, likely to an ICU bed, maybe they survive. Quite possibly where good medical care is available nearby.

Now, what happens in NYC in a day or two, or Northern Italy today. A person has heart pains, they call 911 or the equivalent in Italy, the ambulance is maybe able to get to them in 45 minutes to an hour. Maybe they are still alive and they get treatment and transport to a hospital ER. That ER is packed to the ceiling, with people on gurneys in the hallways. There are no open ICU beds and no available doctors or equipment to treat them in the first minute they arrive. What happens? That person dies when they might now under normal circumstances.

Now, picture auto accidents, falling down stairs, appendicitis, etc. People who are not sick with COVID-19 will die because so many are sick with it.

That 212 number probably also includes some deaths that were not counted as COVID-19 related but actually were.

Mike

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2170
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 10:00:10 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Looks like US will be #1 in total cases by tomorrow morning; as of right now, just a little behind Italy and China, but we are growing much faster.

Already there as of 6:00 pm, eastern.

Mike

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2171
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 10:00:34 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Hope you get better quickly, rader!

Mike

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2172
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 10:42:32 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

It shouldn't be a surprise that, as our diagnostic testing capabilities get rolling in earnest, our positive case count climbs. We *could* be like Russia (and Japan) and neither test nor report, but I'd really feel better with achieving 'ground truth' as soon as possible.

Like stock markets-the uncertainty is the worst part. I'd much rather have 'bad news' (higher case counts via testing) than uncertainty.

Does anybody here with strong Google-fu have access to the denominator of the equation? Numerator= number of cases positive. Denominator= number of (approved) tests conducted overall.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 2173
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:05:58 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

It shouldn't be a surprise that, as our diagnostic testing capabilities get rolling in earnest, our positive case count climbs. We *could* be like Russia (and Japan) and neither test nor report, but I'd really feel better with achieving 'ground truth' as soon as possible.

Like stock markets-the uncertainty is the worst part. I'd much rather have 'bad news' (higher case counts via testing) than uncertainty.

Does anybody here with strong Google-fu have access to the denominator of the equation? Numerator= number of cases positive. Denominator= number of (approved) tests conducted overall.

There are two denominator numbers - the number of field samples taken and the number of lab results from testing the swab sample. Governments seem to have been announcing the former sampling as the test, and not being transparent on the lab result numbers. Could be intentional or they are just not set up to gather numbers from all the labs doing the testing of samples.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2174
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:12:00 PM   
BBfanboy

A boneheaded stunt in the news: A woman in Philadelphia (I think that was the city) purposely sneezed over a cooler section of produce in a grocery store. Ha ha!
The store has to throw out $35K worth of fresh produce to ensure they will not be held liable if someone gets sick after visiting the store. The woman was turned over to police. Not sure what charges might ensue but the store should be able to sue for damages.
Lets hope stupidity is not so contagious!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2175
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:18:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are two denominator numbers - the number of field samples taken and the number of lab results from testing the swab sample. Governments seem to have been announcing the former sampling as the test, and not being transparent on the lab result numbers. Could be intentional or they are just not set up to gather numbers from all the labs doing the testing of samples.

I would assume that all of the former eventually become the latter, but I'd be interested in either denominator frankly.

I read a blurb on CNBC that New York City's "attack rate" was 5x the national average elsewhere: 28% of specimens positive from NY/NJ versus 8% national average:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/new-york-new-jersey-coronavirus-attack-rate-is-5-times-higher-than-rest-of-us-top-official-says.html

So someone is tracking raw numbers as a percentage (numerator and denominator) somewhere. But haven't found a site that has that. Then again, my Google-fu is weak compared to most others here. Help me MakeeLearn, you're my only hope!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2176
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:20:15 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

denominator of the equation? Numerator= number of cases positive. Denominator= number of (approved) tests conducted overall.

quote:

There are two denominator numbers - the number of field samples taken and the number of lab results from testing the swab sample. Governments seem to have been announcing the former sampling as the test, and not being transparent on the lab result numbers.

Looking around, lots of other people are wanting to know those numbers.

They may be buried in this page:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data

"Unfortunately there is no centralized WHO data on COVID-19 testing and most countries do not provide official reports on tests performed. This is different from official records on confirmed cases and deaths, which we report in our article here."

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/26/2020 11:23:36 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2177
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:23:04 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think there is anything complicated behind the rapid increase of cases in the US. The USA covers pretty much the same land mass as Europe. Europe's land mass is split between c.50 (depending on which countries you count) different nations.

As things are being reported at the moment, Italy; Spain; Germany; France and the UK are reported separately. If you transplanted them onto a map of the US they would all fit within your single country. The total cases of those five countries is c224,000.

That said, on the last chart I saw of case increases by region (i.e. showing Lombardy, Madrid, Hubei etc) New York's trend was looking the worst of anywhere. I think it could get very bad, very fast there. More positively Washington and maybe California were looking as if they may have 'flattened the curve'. Will try and find the chart and post it.

Edit - this is the chart I was talking about - I don't know how to embed it so if somebody sends me a PM with instructions I'll edit the post show it shows properly. Even more worryingly for NY it is showing deaths and not cases. In case anyone is wondering Catalonia is essentially Barcalona and Ile-De-France is essentially Paris.

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F1ca7fac6-6fab-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=1260

< Message edited by Sammy5IsAlive -- 3/27/2020 12:04:32 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2178
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:26:03 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Help me MakeeLearn, you're my only hope!

“These aren’t the chickens you’re looking for.”

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2179
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:26:48 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

A boneheaded stunt in the news: A woman in Philadelphia (I think that was the city) purposely sneezed over a cooler section of produce in a grocery store. Ha ha!
The store has to throw out $35K worth of fresh produce to ensure they will not be held liable if someone gets sick after visiting the store. The woman was turned over to police. Not sure what charges might ensue but the store should be able to sue for damages.
Lets hope stupidity is not so contagious!

There has been several people doing this type of stuff. Even in China.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2180
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:31:59 PM   
MakeeLearn

https://covidtracking.com/data/

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/26/2020 11:33:32 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2181
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:35:52 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think there is anything complicated behind the rapid increase of cases in the US. The USA covers pretty much the same land mass as Europe. Europe's land mass is split between c.50 (depending on which countries you count) different nations.

As things are being reported at the moment, Italy; Spain; Germany; France and the UK are reported separately. If you transplanted them onto a map of the US they would all fit within your single country. The total cases of those five countries is c224,000.

That said, on the last chart I saw of case increases by region (i.e. showing Lombardy, Madrid, Hubei etc) New York's trend was looking the worst of anywhere. I think it could get very bad, very fast there. More positively Washington and maybe California were looking as if they may have 'flattened the curve'. Will try and find the chart and post it.

Edit - this is the chart I was talking about - I don't know how to embed it so if somebody sends me a PM with instructions I'll edit the post show it shows properly. Even more worryingly for NY it is showing deaths and not cases.

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F1ca7fac6-6fab-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=1260

Came through fine, Sammy5IsAlive. Interesting and scary. Poor New York. Glad to See California and Washington separated out and much lower too...

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 2182
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:38:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

https://covidtracking.com/data/

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2183
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/26/2020 11:40:32 PM   
MakeeLearn

My modesty allows me only one ROAR!!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/26/2020 11:41:16 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2184
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:33:56 AM   
alanschu

quote:

Took me a moment to get my bearings as I just refreshed it as China wasn't in the #1 spot haha.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2185
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:23:43 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

quote:

Took me a moment to get my bearings as I just refreshed it as China wasn't in the #1 spot haha.

That doesn't strike me as funny alanschu

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 2186
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:42:52 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

Came through fine, Sammy5IsAlive. Interesting and scary. Poor New York. Glad to See California and Washington separated out and much lower too...

Potentially it is very bad for NY but encouraging for the US overall. I'm assuming all of the unlabelled grey lines are the other US states. If that is the case then they are almost all trending below Wuhan and well below the worst affected areas in Europe.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2187
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:45:13 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Trusting the Chicoms to accurately report their Covid-19 cases is like expecting Trump AND Obama to play a round of golf and both accurately record their scores.

These are the same homies who suppressed reports of an outbreak, did the same exact damn thing with SARS, disappeared 21 million Chinese cell phone accounts during the time of the epidemic, hid the Tienanmen massacre and the epic disaster of the Cultural Revolution AND put a toxic chemical in dog food to fake protein testing.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2188
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:49:35 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Rader: Good luck to you. Where are you based?

Korea Update: We are getting about 100 new cases a day, with about 300 recoveries. About 20% of those new cases are imports. That has caused some social trouble. There's a lot of class envy here, and a lot of those import cases are Korean students living in the rich area of Gangnam (literally "south of the river") in Seoul coming back from New York City. So, you may imagine the social media sphere is upset at these "rich spoiled kids" adding to the cases (they may be on scholarship for all I know, but it doesn't matter to these people). I heard the movie "Parasite" covered classism, although I didn't see it. The irony about classism here is this place has one of the lowest gini coefficients (i.e. income disparity is actually pretty low).

A few of those import cases are actual foreigners. I think there was one from France yesterday. So, the missus warns me there's a bit of a backlash brewing against whitey and she read me the Riot Act about wearing a mask in public. So, I've been wearing one the last few days.

Anyway, small stuff compared to what's happening in many places. Good luck to all of you.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2189
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:55:07 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

Rader: Good luck to you. Where are you based?

Korea Update: We are getting about 100 new cases a day, with about 300 recoveries. About 20% of those new cases are imports. That has caused some social trouble. There's a lot of class envy here, and a lot of those import cases are Korean students living in the rich area of Gangnam (literally "south of the river") in Seoul coming back from New York City. So, you may imagine the social media sphere is upset at these "rich spoiled kids" adding to the cases (they may be on scholarship for all I know, but it doesn't matter to these people). I heard the movie "Parasite" covered classism, although I didn't see it. The irony about classism here is this place has one of the lowest gini coefficients (i.e. income disparity is actually pretty low).

A few of those import cases are actual foreigners. I think there was one from France yesterday. So, the missus warns me there's a bit of a backlash brewing against whitey and she read me the Riot Act about wearing a mask in public. So, I've been wearing one the last few days.

Anyway, small stuff compared to what's happening in many places. Good luck to all of you.

Cheers,
CB

"Gangnam style"

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 2190
Page:   <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI