Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:00:50 AM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

Rader: Good luck to you. Where are you based?

Thanks! I'm in Los Angeles.

< Message edited by rader -- 3/27/2020 2:01:08 AM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 2191
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:16:45 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

Thought this was a little interesting. Satellite images of light pollution in Europe - have a look at northern Italy and also Holland and Belgium which seem to be reporting fairly high case numbers proportionate to their populations:

https://www.telesurenglish.net/__export/1511686334659/sites/telesur/img/news/2017/11/26/light_pollution_-_nasa_x1x.jpg_1718483346.jpg

Just as a point of interest I think the narrow line of light running N-S are the Rhone/Rhine rivers and associated industrial areas.

By way of comparision this is a similar image of the US

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg

It may well mean nothing - maybe they just like to leave their lights on in northern Italy.

< Message edited by Sammy5IsAlive -- 3/27/2020 2:47:34 AM >

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2192
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:22:40 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Trusting the Chicoms to accurately report their Covid-19 cases is like expecting Trump AND Obama to play a round of golf and both accurately record their scores.

These are the same homies who suppressed reports of an outbreak, did the same exact damn thing with SARS, disappeared 21 million Chinese cell phone accounts during the time of the epidemic, hid the Tienanmen massacre and the epic disaster of the Cultural Revolution AND put a toxic chemical in dog food to fake protein testing.

You forgot a company putting melanine in baby formula causing kidney failure and death for many babies which was covered up by local officials. You make a good point.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2193
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:32:22 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

"Gangnam style"

If I never hear that song again it'll still be too soon.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2194
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:40:16 AM   
alanschu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sammy5IsAlive

Thought this was a little interesting. Satellite images of light pollution in Europe - have a look at northern Italy and also Holland and Belgium which seem to be reporting fairly high case numbers proportionate to their populations:

https://www.telesurenglish.net/__export/1511686334659/sites/telesur/img/news/2017/11/26/light_pollution_-_nasa_x1x.jpg_1718483346.jpg

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg

It may well mean nothing - maybe they just like to leave their lights on in northern Italy.

There is definitely some regional aspects. You can't quite see it as it's just chopped off, but light map of Alberta is actually pretty intense for its population levels. In part because there was a philosophy of having the area be one of the best lit areas in the world (for some reason...).

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 2195
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:49:01 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

quote:

There is definitely some regional aspects. You can't quite see it as it's just chopped off, but light map of Alberta is actually pretty intense for its population levels. In part because there was a philosophy of having the area be one of the best lit areas in the world (for some reason...).

Like North Dakota, Alberta has bright spots because they flare gas in their oilfields and refineries.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 2196
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:56:54 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Looks like US will be #1 in total cases by tomorrow morning; as of right now, just a little behind Italy and China, but we are growing much faster.

Already there as of 6:00 pm, eastern.

It shouldn't be a surprise that, as our diagnostic testing capabilities get rolling in earnest, our positive case count climbs. We *could* be like Russia (and Japan) and neither test nor report, but I'd really feel better with achieving 'ground truth' as soon as possible.

Like stock markets-the uncertainty is the worst part. I'd much rather have 'bad news' (higher case counts via testing) than uncertainty.

Does anybody here with strong Google-fu have access to the denominator of the equation? Numerator= number of cases positive. Denominator= number of (approved) tests conducted overall.

I don't think there is anything complicated behind the rapid increase of cases in the US. The USA covers pretty much the same land mass as Europe. Europe's land mass is split between c.50 (depending on which countries you count) different nations.

As things are being reported at the moment, Italy; Spain; Germany; France and the UK are reported separately. If you transplanted them onto a map of the US they would all fit within your single country. The total cases of those five countries is c224,000.

That said, on the last chart I saw of case increases by region (i.e. showing Lombardy, Madrid, Hubei etc) New York's trend was looking the worst of anywhere. I think it could get very bad, very fast there. More positively Washington and maybe California were looking as if they may have 'flattened the curve'. Will try and find the chart and post it.

Edit - this is the chart I was talking about - I don't know how to embed it so if somebody sends me a PM with instructions I'll edit the post show it shows properly. Even more worryingly for NY it is showing deaths and not cases. In case anyone is wondering Catalonia is essentially Barcalona and Ile-De-France is essentially Paris.

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F1ca7fac6-6fab-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=1260

That has to be an old chart. The line for New York ends around 10 days into the X axis. New York has been fighting this much longer than this and definitely had its 10th death from the virus more than 10 days ago.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 2197
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 3:12:36 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
That has to be an old chart. The line for New York ends around 10 days into the X axis. New York has been fighting this much longer than this and definitely had its 10th death from the virus more than 10 days ago.

Good point. Although the bottom of the visual has a time stamp of 3.26.20. Not sure how to jibe the discrepancy.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2198
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 3:14:32 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

Wikipedia has NY state as reporting total 12 deaths on 16/03.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_New_York_(state)

< Message edited by Sammy5IsAlive -- 3/27/2020 3:15:20 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2199
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 3:16:11 AM   
Chickenboy

I like to compare Apples to Apples, so it's my preference to compare per capita figures. I know we're about 340 MM people here domestically, and that a "bad" flu season would be circa 50,000 deaths. That equals 147/MM people here. The far right column in this chart shows whose mortality level is approaching or exceeding that subjective comparative threshhold.

Unfortunately, it looks like Italy is already there and will probably far exceed that threshhold. I would venture that Spain will be there soon too...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 3/27/2020 3:19:17 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2200
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 3:26:17 AM   
Wuffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

An article responding to the Oxford study from a few days ago I posted that in one scenario stated there could be up to tens of millions already infected with the virus.

This moderates those claims a bit, while also stating some good figures and ranges for what we might expect actual numbers to be. The author is an epidemiologist, Adam Kucharski.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/26/virus-infection-data-coronavirus-modelling

There is growing evidence that, on average, people who show Covid-19 symptoms have a 1–1.5% risk of death. This has been estimated in studies of data from Wuhan, early international cases, and the Diamond Princess (with data adjusted to account for the older age of the cruise ship passengers). But this 1–1.5% risk just tells us what happens to people who have clear symptoms. If, as the above studies suggest, only 20–80% of infections come with symptoms, it would mean that for every 100,000 people who get infected with Covid-19, we would expect somewhere in the region of 200–1,200 deaths (ie between 100,000 x 20% x 1% and 100,000 x 80% x 1.5%).

Wow! Very interesting, thx for sharing. They grow in my parent's garden, a generation before.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2201
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 3:35:27 AM   
Wuffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

We're all aware that Germany has been doing better than many other European countries, and we've discussed possible reasons here.

These graphs from Worldometers are of interest. You can see that the number of deaths in Germany is beginning to rise noticeably. On the other hand it seems that the number of new cases has plateaued. As many have noted in here, mortality lags behind the new cases, which is what we're seeing.

They will die soon like the other regions, no doubt about it. It's just not as bad right now, we are just lagging behind a bit, but in the end it will look like everywhere else - stupidity, ignorance and greediness ...
The battle for any containment is lost everywhere in Europe.

Edit:

Call it anecdotal or empiric, but in imho the most malign cofactor is ... alcohol.
It was not the soccer match or the daytime carnival or the skiing per se, it was partying (read: coma drinking) indoors after that.
A local brewery in Bavaria for example had the glorious idea to celeberate a "mass oral vaccination", in other words an Octoberfest some 14 days ago — the whole place is now a horrible cluster and under complete lockdown, martial law in all but name.

https://m.bild.de/bild-plus/news/inland/news-inland/corona-in-bayern-mitterteich-vor-zwei-wochen-bierfest-jetzt-virus-hotspot-69548174,view=conversionToLogin.bildMobile.html###wt_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dschluckimpfung%2Bgelage%2Bbrauerei%2Bbayern%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26client%3Dfirefox-b-m&wt_t=1585242561257

Berlin, this old rotten, as anarchist as dirty 'party capital' of middle Europe with her culture of illegal clubs in dubious hygienic conditions at best, should be the epicenter of course? Nope!
While drinking, everyone went for cheap bear in bottles and not sharing glasses — and most prefer other stuff, cannabis et.al.
Our downfall was the traditional mass drinking culture in the more conservative south.
https://interaktiv.tagesspiegel.de/lab/karte-sars-cov-2-in-deutschland-landkreise/

So, good luck to all of you and your families, we are still in the beginning of a natural desaster in slow-mo. Keep healthy!

< Message edited by Wuffer -- 3/27/2020 4:22:19 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2202
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 4:07:28 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

I like to compare Apples to Apples, so it's my preference to compare per capita figures. I know we're about 340 MM people here domestically, and that a "bad" flu season would be circa 50,000 deaths. That equals 147/MM people here. The far right column in this chart shows whose mortality level is approaching or exceeding that subjective comparative threshhold.

Unfortunately, it looks like Italy is already there and will probably far exceed that threshhold. I would venture that Spain will be there soon too...

I'm not sure if that works though

CDC seems to have on average 500,000 people needing hospital treatment for flu a year in the US. So c. 1.5% of the population or 15,000 per million.

If you apply that to the current US figures for CV19 you get
15000/258 = 58
58 x 4 = 232 deaths/million

If you do the same thing for Italy you get
15000/1333 = 11
11 x 136 = 1500 deaths/million

I appreciate that there are lots of other factors to take into account (as an example the flu numbers may well include repeat admissions for the same individual) but from a purely numerical point of view have I gone wrong with the maths? I'm not a scientist or mathematician by training so I appreciate I may well be missing something fundamental!

The Chief Medical Officer in the UK has said that an eventual number of deaths of 20,000 in the UK would represent a successful response. That would equate to a death rate of c. 300/million.

< Message edited by Sammy5IsAlive -- 3/27/2020 4:18:50 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2203
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 4:14:51 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Wikipedia has NY state as reporting total 12 deaths on 16/03.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_New_York_(state)

I had another look at the chart and NY is plotted 8 days since the 10 deaths starting point - two days less than the chart date. There have been many more deaths in the last two days. That curve might still be unchanged in shape.

Post #: 2204
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 4:15:47 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

CDC seems to have on average 500,000 people needing hospital treatment for flu a year in the US. So c. 1.5% of the population or 15,000 per million.

15000/258 = 58

15000/1333 = 11

I appreciate that there are lots of other factors to take into account (as an example the flu numbers may well include repeat admissions for the same individual) but from a purely numerical point of view have I gone wrong with the maths? I'm not a scientist or mathematician by training so I appreciate I may well be missing something fundamental!

He's talking deaths, not hospitalizations. 50,000 or 60,000 is a very bad flu year in the US, 20,000 is a more average year.

Post #: 2205
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 4:48:04 AM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

15000/258 = 58

15000/1333 = 11

He's talking deaths, not hospitalizations. 50,000 or 60,000 is a very bad flu year in the US, 20,000 is a more average year.

Yes but the numbers of deaths only become meaningful in comparision to the number of cases.

As a thought experiment say you had a disease appear in the US which had an 80% mortality rate and is highly transmittable. Fortunately it has been identified early in an isolated community of 1000 people. 500 people have shown symptoms of which 400 have died. Do you let the remaining 500 go off on their merry way comfortable in the knowledge that per capita across the whole country the death rate is vanishingly small?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2206
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 6:05:18 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Mortality lags, but you can allow for the lag in the calculations/interpretations.

Pardon my layman's ignorance, but I have much more confidence in the utility and reliability of mortality numbers.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Mortality is a lagging indicator and will actually change in the next months and years. Reported infections is probably the best number for predictive analysis

I thought Poultry Lad did a fine job of explaining why mortality numbers aren't all that reliable either. There are also other reasons why, in a case like this where at least some deaths are the result of not enough system capacity to treat those in need of intensive care, number of cases is a better thing to track. We should be looking at both, and knowing that both are imperfect.

UK expert associated with the Imperial College study now things the R0 is around 3.1, which means that over 10 generations a single person would be "responsible" for over 80,000 infections instead of just under 10,000. Link: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/. Now, they've been the most pessimistic of the public expert sources, but they're still experts making educated guesses rather than armchair spreadsheet artists pontificating on a forum.

Just given where we're at and trends elsewhere, I don't think we'll be on the other side of the curve here in the US as a whole (which now has the highest raw total of confirmed infections as of today) until after the middle of May.

quote:

If we're willing to shovel $USD 2.5T onto this thing as a short-term economic Band-Aide, why not a "Manhattan Project" level of commitment to upgrading our creaky public health infrastructure? It's gotta be done.

Glad I didn't have a mouthful of liquid while I read this, or I'd have done a spit take

quote:

I'm intrigued by the pattern of disease domestically. NYC and surrounds are still circa 60% of our national caseload. For an area of what-give or take-14 million people? So roughly 4.2% of our population has 60% of our national cases.

It's about 20M, so ~6%.

quote:

We're all aware that Germany has been doing better than many other European countries, and we've discussed possible reasons here.

These graphs from Worldometers are of interest. You can see that the number of deaths in Germany is beginning to rise noticeably. On the other hand it seems that the number of new cases has plateaued. As many have noted in here, mortality lags behind the new cases, which is what we're seeing.

If these numbers are accurate it could be that Germany's death rate will soon level off (unless the number of cases hasn't actually plateaued, but we'll know more about that soon).

I wouldn't call that "plateaued" (Kull isn't the only one here who does data analysis), however it does look like it may have inflected but is still rising (although at a slowing rate). Or it may not have as it looks like the potential inflection would've been around March 21-22 and it's just too early to tell.

quote:

Remember early projections, like the Oz think tank (or university) study that came up with seven scenarios, the best of which had 17 million deaths worldwide? We're still on course to deal with numbers utterly unlike that.

Some of this is in good faith. As JohnD noted above, varying numbers a bit has huge consequences when dealing with exponential equations. But the dadgum media.

This seems to be on the low end, while others are much higher. What actually happens will almost certainly be somewhere in between. And yes, the media is just as bad at reporting on numbers and this sort of thing as the public is at digesting it. Writ large, they're drawn from the same pool of humans, after all.

And yes, I have read every post since I last posted.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2207
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 6:48:08 AM   
Ian R

Sitrep from down here.

First, our current position is:

" As at 3:00pm on 27 March 2020, there have been 3,166 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 367 new cases since 3:00pm yesterday.

Of the 3,166 confirmed cases in Australia, 13 have died from COVID-19. More than 184,000 tests have been conducted across Australia."

It is also now being reported that some 80% of cases here are person returning from abroad. At least 10% of those are from cruise ships.

Of the rest, it is mostly persons who have been in contact with those returned persons. The occurrence of unrelated community transmissions is minor, and for example in Queensland, it is stated to be zero.

Second, so as to enforce containment, as of midnight tomorrow, any person arriving from overseas will be placed in 14 days mandatory detention, in a commercial hotel. In order to enforce this, the military and border force, and other federal agencies are assisting state authorities.

This is a very smart move on an economic basis, because it will give the hotels a cashflow of sorts and keep their staff employed.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2208
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 6:52:03 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

"armchair spreadsheet artists pontificating on a forum."

I just wanted to ask if I could shamelessly adopt that, use it as a put-down on another forum.

Permission to proceed sir?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2209
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 8:55:13 AM   
obvert

This is the regional tracker mentioned in an earlier post. Catalonia and NY looking bad.

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 2210
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 8:58:05 AM   
obvert

The country tracker.

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2211
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 8:59:02 AM   
obvert

A US map to show state by state cases. Since testing has really ramped up this may begin to be more useful.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2212
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 9:45:59 AM   
ITAKLinus

Regarding numbers of infected people.

In Vo' Euganeo, very small village which has been among the very first initial areas of infection in Italy, they tested the 3.000 inhabitants and it turned out that 75% got the virus and has been asymptomatic. I don't know what this means, but I suspect that this suggests that the real numbers of infected people can be roughly 2.5-3 times more than the official numbers, which are based on symptomatic people.

Obviously, it has little stocastic relevance, but it's an interesting case. Sealed off village with a fairly old population and complete testing of the community. It can be that the forecasts of 10 times more infected than the tracked cases is a high estimate and they are indeed way less.

< Message edited by ITAKLinus -- 3/27/2020 9:46:20 AM >

Francesco

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2213
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 10:00:29 AM   
ITAKLinus

A little adddendum.

Yesterday's data for Italy have been 712 deaths and not 662 as per the daily bullettin from Protezione Civile. Data from Piedmont weren't available yet when they did the press conference.

A part from that, it looks like African community in Italy is relatively lightly affected. There are no clear data regarding this, but several information leaked from the "front" and it looks like the relative percentage of African immigrants who got infected is very low.

Now, possible explanations are: A) many are irregoular and they don't want to get in touch with the hospitals for fear of the authorities; B) very young population. Still, it's quite an interesting topic.
I would like so much to have complete and clear data regarding for example Tunisia and other mediterrenean countries. The fact that Spain is getting very badly affected (soon they'll reach and surpass Italy I believe), is something that makes me believe that genetics play a big role.

It's of course a "man of the street" talk. I have zero preparation on the field of infectivology, but I suppose more educated people here maybe have some good ideas regarding that.

Francesco

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 2214
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 10:45:02 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

A boneheaded stunt in the news: A woman in Philadelphia (I think that was the city) purposely sneezed over a cooler section of produce in a grocery store. Ha ha!
The store has to throw out $35K worth of fresh produce to ensure they will not be held liable if someone gets sick after visiting the store. The woman was turned over to police. Not sure what charges might ensue but the store should be able to sue for damages.
Lets hope stupidity is not so contagious!

Here in Italy "consciously causing an epidemic" is a criminal offence that will land you in jail.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 3/27/2020 11:30:58 AM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2215
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 10:57:18 AM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

I'm intrigued by the pattern of disease domestically. NYC and surrounds are still circa 60% of our national caseload. For an area of what-give or take-14 million people? So roughly 4.2% of our population has 60% of our national cases.

Case counts in the other big cities: Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston haven't moved nearly that much.

Locally, San Antonio area has less than 100 cases. I can't keep up with individual cases as much these days, but the vast majority of them until recently have been travel-related. Limited community spread. Houston, TX (soon to become the country's third most populous metropolitan area for all you home demographers out there) has a similarly small number. If the trend holds, I'd ask what is different about these urban centers than New York City per se. I have some ideas, but I'd like for the locals to put in their two bits about why they think New York City's metropolitan area is such a hotbed of disease compared to some other really big metro areas in this country.

I think there's more evidence to suggest that there's "New York City and then there's everywhere else in the US." Which may be an encouraging prospect-for everyone not in New York City that is.

All of the major metropolitan areas in this state have been proactive in shutting things down. Most Texas schools were on Spring break the first week in March (typically a week before most of the rest of the country). Many school districts (including my kids') slapped on an extension onto that time during the break. At first, it was until March 20. Then that was extended to April 6. Now it's April 24. So as far as our schools are concerned-we've been in de facto 'lockdown' for 20 days as of today. That will continue another 29 days at a minimum.

Statewide and county/city lockdown mandates have come through in the interim. These 'essential worker only' mandates are in effect at least through April 9 here in San Antonio.

Did New York City serve as an immediate warning for us here in Texas? Or were we watching Italy's agony and extrapolating that back here?

Does this buttress the argument that the United States-with its disparate people and regions-really doesn't operate on a 'one size fits all' national mandate?

My opinion - NYC is the hotbed (and Westchester County) because one infected lawyer went to a party when he knew he was sick (although may not have known it was COVID-19) and infected at least 50 people, who infected an untold number more. That one event exploded the infection rate far above what it would have been under normal conditions. I also read about a party in Connecticut, known now as party zero, where a bunch of people became infected. Same result.

And I totally agree that the one size fits all is poor policy. Quarantine the major cities, quarantine the elderly and infirm, quarantine the known positives, but let the economy alone.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2216
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 11:23:19 AM   
Sardaukar

About 1000 tested positive for corona infection in Finland, 5 dead.

Real number of infections is estimated 20-30k, since testing is limited and not all are tested because of test kit number limitation.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 2217
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:00:13 PM   
HansBolter

Both Pinellas (St. Petersburg) and Hillsborough (Tampa) counties just implemented 'stay at home orders' that allow non-essential businesses to remain open if they can conform to CDC recommendations for maintaining 6 feet of separation. It appears both counties are trying to avoid a complete shut down of non-essential businesses.

I had been sheltering at home since last Wednesday, but my employer asked me if I was up to coming back in. We are a very small 4 person architecture firm. One of my coworkers sits at a desk that backs up to mine and is less than three feet away, but she is out today. Not sure how my employer plans to make this work, but since I need the source of income, I'm back in the office this morning. The parking lot of the office building I work in is empty. We may be the only one's here......

Over the past 9 days at home, I left my house/yard only twice, both times for runs to grocery stores with half empty shelves.

Monday, my brother was sent across the state for a cabinet installation, and was scheduled for another out of town install, but that was canceled. Not sure how his employer is going to attempt to remain operational. They have more than 10 people and it would be almost impossible to conform to CDC guidelines.

I suspect that employers desperate to keep their businesses from going under, will skirt whatever guidelines they need to, and we employees desperate for income will place ourselves at risk to keep our jobs........

Hans

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 2218
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:02:35 PM   
MakeeLearn

Scientist behind U.S., U.K. lockdowns drastically lowers death estimate

https://www.wnd.com/2020/03/scientist-behind-u-s-u-k-lockdowns-drastically-lowers-estimates/

"The study by Imperial College of London published March 16 estimated that 2.2 million Americans and 500,000 Britons could die.

Now, lead author Neil Ferguson has testified to a parliamentary committee that the U.K. death toll is unlikely to exceed 20,000 and could be much lower, reported the website New Scientist.

And more than half that number would have died anyway by the end of the year, because of their age and underlying illnesses, he told the panel on Wednesday."

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 2219
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:05:41 PM   
MakeeLearn

The UK Prime Minister has tested positive for covid-19.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52058788

"Boris Johnson has been in close contact with the government’s chief scientist and all of the people in charge of trying to handle how the government’s various responses are going.

The prime minister is well enough to keep working, using technology, so for now he is not stepping back from the job he is doing in terms of running the government's response.

There is a standby in Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who would step up if Boris Johnson has to take time off work. For now, Mr Johnson is still in charge."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2220
Page:   <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI