Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:30:15 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Both Pinellas (St. Petersburg) and Hillsborough (Tampa) counties just implemented 'stay at home orders' that allow non-essential businesses to remain open if they can conform to CDC recommendations for maintaining 6 feet of separation. It appears both counties are trying to avoid a complete shut down of non-essential businesses.

I had been sheltering at home since last Wednesday, but my employer asked me if I was up to coming back in. We are a very small 4 person architecture firm. One of my coworkers sits at a desk that backs up to mine and is less than three feet away, but she is out today. Not sure how my employer plans to make this work, but since I need the source of income, I'm back in the office this morning. The parking lot of the office building I work in is empty. We may be the only one's here......

Over the past 9 days at home, I left my house/yard only twice, both times for runs to grocery stores with half empty shelves.

Monday, my brother was sent across the state for a cabinet installation, and was scheduled for another out of town install, but that was canceled. Not sure how his employer is going to attempt to remain operational. They have more than 10 people and it would be almost impossible to conform to CDC guidelines.

I suspect that employers desperate to keep their businesses from going under, will skirt whatever guidelines they need to, and we employees desperate for income will place ourselves at risk to keep our jobs........

The cure may be worse than the disease.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 2221
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:31:26 PM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn
=

Now, lead author Neil Ferguson has testified to a parliamentary committee that the U.K. death toll is unlikely to exceed 20,000 and could be much lower, reported the website New Scientist.

And more than half that number would have died anyway by the end of the year, because of their age and underlying illnesses, he told the panel on Wednesday."

So UK worst case is less than 10k. "and could be much lower".

How many die flu in the UK per annum?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2222
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:31:32 PM   
RangerJoe

I am in a relatively sparsely populated region but locally there are smaller towns fairly close together. There is at least one case within an hours drive from me. I went to a restaurant Wednesday night for a takeout of a delicious swiss and mushroom burger, the only guideline was to maintain 6 feet apart from other customers. Yesterday, they had installed plexiglass anti-cough shields. The pepperoni was delicious! The grocery store also install the plexiglass anti-cough shields and also had the 6 feet request between customers and staff. Hard to do when the pass you or you pass them.

I did not check out the medicine shop where they advertise "Beer, Vino, Spirits" which also sells tobacco products.

Stay safe and well.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2223
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:32:32 PM   
MakeeLearn

US axed CDC expert job in China months before outbreak: Reuters

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/axed-cdc-expert-job-china-months-outbreak-reuters-200323012037595.html

"Several months before the Coronavirus pandemic began, the administration of US President Donald Trump eliminated a key American public health position in Beijing that was intended to help detect disease outbreaks in China, Reuters news agency has learned.

The American disease expert Dr Linda Quick, a medical epidemiologist embedded in China's disease control agency, left her post in July, according to four sources with knowledge of the issue."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2224
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:36:29 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/axed-cdc-expert-job-china-months-outbreak-reuters-200323012037595.html

"Several months before the Coronavirus pandemic began, the administration of US President Donald Trump eliminated a key American public health position in Beijing that was intended to help detect disease outbreaks in China, Reuters news agency has learned.

The American disease expert Dr Linda Quick, a medical epidemiologist embedded in China's disease control agency, left her post in July, according to four sources with knowledge of the issue."

I read that. I also read where that would not have made a difference in the reporting of the Coronavirus situation.

― Julia Child

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2225
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:49:59 PM   
Chickenboy

I know this news will hit Canoerebel hard. Sorry man.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/south-korean-boy-band-bts-postpones-us-canada-tours-over-coronavirus-concerns.html

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2226
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 12:53:38 PM   
MakeeLearn

Where Coronavirus outbreak started in Washington state, officials see hope as cases appear to be leveling off

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/where-coronavirus-outbreak-started-in-washington-state-officials-see-hope-as-cases-appear-to-be-leveling-off/ar-BB11Ls27?li=BBnb7Kz

"KIRKLAND, Wash. —The suburban hospital that handled the first onslaught of Coronavirus patients weeks ago — a crush of seriously ill and dying nursing home residents that signaled the beginning of the national health crisis — is now offering cautious optimism to people across the United States who are searching for an end to the springtime nightmare: They believe they might have flattened the curve here. "

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2227
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:01:00 PM   
Ian R

Sorry if you guys missed it but..., Australia has just introduced mandatory detention for returning citizens to advance containment.

Is this an over-reaction?

Discuss.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2228
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:11:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Sorry if you guys missed it but..., Australia has just introduced mandatory detention for returning citizens to advance containment.

Discuss.

No.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 2229
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:18:03 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Discuss.

They're not the only ones. I think I've read similar edicts from China, Singapore, South Korea and other countries.

I think it was a week and a half ago that all Canadians returning from abroad were asked to self-quarantine upon return to Canada. Lots of 'snow birds' from Arizona will have to do that. Americans leaving the 'hot spot' of New York City have been asked to self-quarantine for 14 days too.

An over-reaction? Considering that y'all down under are fixin' to go into your cool season? Probably not.

By the way, what does 'mandatory detention' mean? Armed guards, drop bears and concertina wire or more like self-recognizance?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 2230
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:43:44 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

I read that. I also read where that would not have made a difference in the reporting of the Coronavirus situation.

Agree, from what I have read in many sources China's government actions are what mattered, and US Intel was on the job.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2231
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 1:59:04 PM   
MakeeLearn

USA map

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2232
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:05:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The Chinese central government reached down to silence the doctor who first publicly reported on the outbreak and I guarantee they have a party hack in charge of the "disease control agency"

It is also guaranteed that at least one of her Chicom "colleagues" was a spook gathering intel on the CDC.

The blame lies in one place..Beijing...and maybe the guy who made the pangolin burgers.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2233
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:15:22 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

The Chinese central government reached down to silence the doctor who first publicly reported on the outbreak and I guarantee they have a party hack in charge of the "disease control agency"

It is also guaranteed that at least one of her Chicom "colleagues" was a spook gathering intel on the CDC.

The blame lies in one place..Beijing...and maybe the guy who made the pangolin burgers.

Yes, I read weeks ago the woman put in charge of the committee/team overseeing things is exactly that. I am not sure IIRC, but I think she is not a medical professional either.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2234
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:15:56 PM   
witpqs

Virus test results in minutes? Scientists question accuracy

< Message edited by witpqs -- 3/27/2020 2:17:17 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2235
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:33:51 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Yes, I read weeks ago the woman put in charge of the committee/team overseeing things is exactly that. I am not sure IIRC, but I think she is not a medical professional either.

Here she is. Before she got her haircut.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2236
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:39:05 PM   
witpqs

Kind of an old picture...

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2237
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:41:21 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Kind of an old picture...

OPSEC

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2238
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:44:07 PM   
MakeeLearn

Back to the news that matters....

South Korean Boy Band BTS Not Exempt From Military Service
https://www.thedailybeast.com/bts-south-korean-boy-band-not-exempt-from-military-service

"The seven members of BTS will not be exempt from mandatory service in South Korea’s military—meaning the K-pop superstars will need to step away at the height of their success. The Grammy-nominated group, also known as the Bangtan Boys, had hoped to skip the 18-month service that all South Koreans must serve after they turn 18."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2239
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:50:15 PM   
Zorch

quote:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bts-south-korean-boy-band-not-exempt-from-military-service

"The seven members of BTS will not be exempt from mandatory service in South Korea’s military—meaning the K-pop superstars will need to step away at the height of their success. The Grammy-nominated group, also known as the Bangtan Boys, had hoped to skip the 18-month service that all South Koreans must serve after they turn 18."

If Elvis did it, so can BTS.

PS. Did they plagiarize 'BTS" from the AE Scenario?

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2240
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:53:38 PM   
MakeeLearn

101-year-old man survives Coronavirus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/101-year-old-man-survives-coronavirus/ar-BB11N53h

"A 101-year-old man has been released from hospital after recovering from the novel Coronavirus, Gloria Lisi, the deputy mayor of the Italian city of Rimini, has said."

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2241
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 2:56:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Geez. Poor Canoerebel. The hits just keep coming for him.

I wonder if he'll have to tear down his Jin, Suga and J-hope posters from his office?

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2242
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 3:03:35 PM   
Canoerebel

Y'all are being ignored today.

P.S. I have a print of Jackson and Lee ("The Last Meeting") in my office, along with a sketch done by a friend of Col. Emory F. Best leading the 23rd Georgia Regiment at Chancellorsville. Best was my avatar photo for many years.

To complete the "Canoerebel" portrait, my oldest son and I are paddling Armuchee Creek today. It'll be sunny and mid 80s.

So keep on with your "boy band" stuff. I aint listenin'.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2243
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 3:24:49 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

If Elvis did it, so can BTS.

PS. Did they plagiarize 'BTS" from the AE Scenario?

My understanding is that Elvis enjoyed his service and was just a regular soldier. It also made him believable in the movies where he was in uniform. He was a tanker.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2244
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 3:59:04 PM   
alanschu

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Like North Dakota, Alberta has bright spots because they flare gas in their oilfields and refineries.

That does play a part for sure, and Edmonton does have its refineries. I was more thinking on just the Edmonton to Calgary route though.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2245
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 4:14:09 PM   
RangerJoe

What NOT to do was done in Malaysia:

Made in Malaysia: How mosque event spread virus to SE Asia

quote:

Out of Malaysia’s 673 confirmed infections, nearly two-thirds are linked to the four-day meeting outside Kuala Lumpur.
Worshippers slept in packed tents outside the golden-domed mosque, waking before dawn to kneel on rows of prayer mats laid out in its cavernous central hall.
It was attended by 16,000 people, including 1,500 foreigners.
The packed gathering, where guests had to take shuttle buses to sleep at other venues, was attended by nationals from dozens of countries, including Canada, Nigeria, India and Australia, according to an attendee list posted on social media.

There were also people from China and South Korea – two countries with high rates of coronavirus infections.
“Holding hands at the religious ceremony was done with people of many countries. When I met people, I held hands, it was normal. I don’t know who I was infected by,” he said, asking not to be named due to fears of discrimination at his mosque.
Another attendee from Cambodia said guests from different countries shared plates when meals were served.

― Julia Child

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 2246
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 5:10:53 PM   
USSAmerica

Still bad news from Italy. Today's reported number of COVID-19 deaths is 919. Up from 712 yesterday.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2247
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 5:14:42 PM   
alanschu

quote:

Scientist behind U.S., U.K. lockdowns drastically lowers death estimate

https://www.wnd.com/2020/03/scientist-behind-u-s-u-k-lockdowns-drastically-lowers-estimates/

"The study by Imperial College of London published March 16 estimated that 2.2 million Americans and 500,000 Britons could die.

Now, lead author Neil Ferguson has testified to a parliamentary committee that the U.K. death toll is unlikely to exceed 20,000 and could be much lower, reported the website New Scientist.

And more than half that number would have died anyway by the end of the year, because of their age and underlying illnesses, he told the panel on Wednesday."

I recommend drilling down to the source WND uses here: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238578-uk-has-enough-intensive-care-units-for-coronavirus-expert-predicts/

Some points in the article

* Lowered numbers take into account measures put into place and efforts made by the government (the 2.2m estimate assumed no efforts were made). Measures include increases in NHS capacity and restricting people's movements.
* He talks about how the R0 for the virus appears to be just over 3 now, instead of 2.5, and uses this to reaffirm the importance of "intensive social distancing measures."
* Acknowledges that social distancing can't be until a vaccine comes out (12-18mo), but that softening restrictions will be viable when testing capacity improves (he feels within a few weeks).

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2248
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 5:21:55 PM   
alanschu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
They're not the only ones. I think I've read similar edicts from China, Singapore, South Korea and other countries.

I think it was a week and a half ago that all Canadians returning from abroad were asked to self-quarantine upon return to Canada. Lots of 'snow birds' from Arizona will have to do that. Americans leaving the 'hot spot' of New York City have been asked to self-quarantine for 14 days too.

An over-reaction? Considering that y'all down under are fixin' to go into your cool season? Probably not.

By the way, what does 'mandatory detention' mean? Armed guards, drop bears and concertina wire or more like self-recognizance?

Canada just instituted a 14-day quarantine for people returning to the country as well. I don't believe that they are under any sort of "guard," but there was comments about random spot checks via phone or in person and that failures could see fines or possibly prison (I don't know the details of either of these legal measures or the likelihood of each nor the breakdown etc.)

People returning are told to go directly home.

I do hope that assistance is provided for these people if they need it because it's possible supplies are low if you're a snow bird.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2249
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/27/2020 5:31:32 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Canada just instituted a 14-day quarantine for people returning to the country as well. I don't believe that they are under any sort of "guard," but there was comments about random spot checks via phone or in person and that failures could see fines or possibly prison (I don't know the details of either of these legal measures or the likelihood of each nor the breakdown etc.)

People returning are told to go directly home.

I do hope that assistance is provided for these people if they need it because it's possible supplies are low if you're a snow bird.

My aunt, who lives in Quebec, was visiting my mother who lives in the Phoenix area for a couple months. My aunt flew home last Tuesday and was sent home with explicit instructions to self-isolate. Direct Air Canada flights from Phoenix to Canada have been packed recently and the last direct Air Canada flight to Montreal flew out earlier this week.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI