Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fall Weiss II

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios >> RE: Fall Weiss II Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fall Weiss II - 7/19/2019 1:53:34 PM   
steevodeevo

Will do - playing it now and having fun. It is early days but really enjoying the enhanced decision making and politics.

(in reply to crispy131313)
Post #: 31
RE: Fall Weiss II - 7/20/2019 12:21:21 PM   
steevodeevo

Only 1 engineer available in entire game for Germans Crispy?

Post #: 32
RE: Fall Weiss II - 7/20/2019 1:40:27 PM   
crispy131313

Correct, there is no bonus Engineer unit for any of the Axis.

(in reply to steevodeevo)
Post #: 33
RE: Fall Weiss II - 7/20/2019 2:20:26 PM   
steevodeevo

December 1941
FW 1.5

I'm really enjoying it. It feels quite different from Vanilla (more in a sec).. The map plays great, the AI turn speed is not impacted from vanilla.

Things I love, was surprised at or didn't expect -

I've been playing vanilla World at War a lot recently and reverting to the European theatre map scale has been very refreshing. In many ways the general and strategic challenge is greater as manoeuvre and tactical deployment, penetration, and defence come into play at this map scale whereas they do not in the entirely strategic approach of WaW.

The use/ option choice of Divisions, Corps and Armies is super intriguing. There is a budget/cost and tactical decision to be made that adds a surprising mount of game play decisions. Sometimes a division is just right for a particular defensive role or even a minor side operation (in the Balkans etc), so why waste resources? Other times Corps or Army on offence is essential. Get it wrong and you're in trouble. Its also great to be aware of the additional attack turn of Corps and Armies and slower mobility. All nice touches.

I love all of the new political decisions. Some have real impact, some, I suspect, due to game engine constraints are just for flavour, but are still really cool.

I would ask that you maybe enhance your Sealion options. I enjoyed your enhanced stuff on Sealion by the 'yes' 'no' basically award a couple of Division one for seaborne offence the other choice a couple of land divisions. I would love to see more work on this choice as I think it could be an amazing option. In addition, a warning that the Sealiion choice was coming up a few turns ahead and what you needed to think about would be cool.

Some thoughts -

I didn't defeat France until late August!! My target was (obviously) around May. I was tempted at this point to give up as I thought I had messed up, but played on as the extra time had allowed me to develop tech and resources and still invade Russia on schedule. We'll see how that goes.

I like Russia's slow initial mobilisation and very steady build up, it creates tension and tactical opportunities.

The Afrika Corps spawning in Africa - thank you!

The map feels huge.. in a good way. I think the reason I was months late in defeating France is that SC is SUCH A DIFFERENT GAME in the European scale map mode to WaW mode. In the European theatre you really need to use tactics and manoeuvre.

For now I will sign off by saying in this map mode Stalingrad looks soooo far away ... I love it :)

< Message edited by steevodeevo -- 7/20/2019 2:23:02 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: Fall Weiss II - 7/20/2019 3:22:39 PM   
steevodeevo

additional note - I LOVE the Fall Blau decision and resources options!! Personally I think your Sealion should be like this (very tough but tempting choices.), but I accept I am not up with the game balance etc..

Post #: 35
RE: Fall Weiss II - 7/20/2019 7:01:33 PM   
crispy131313

Hi Steve,

Glad you are enjoying the game, the European Theater version has been long worked on, the WaW more of a quick rendition of the Europe mod to be honest, but still very playable in it's own right and with it's own unique global content.

I continue to update the Europe map quite often, in fact the version that you are playing which is in the opening post of this thread is a dated version. In short I made a European version on the WaW engine as I wanted to take advantage of the new game engine changes, but now that WiE was updated as well I have been exclusively making changes through the WiE editor.

Your analysis of the Division/Corps/Army usage is spot on why I made the change. As for the many political decisions, while they may seem minor on the surface they do play an important role; establishing and maintaining trade agreements, increasing a future minor ally's offensive (or defensive capability) as well as are necessary to help garner a country onto your side at all, as diplomacy chit effectiveness is reduced.

if you have WiE be sure to download the newest version, there has been a lot of changes.

Post #: 36
RE: Fall Weiss II - 7/23/2019 2:53:35 PM   
Nimrod 9th

Okay, I admit it. I'm not very good with computers. Even worse with mods. I'd love to try out this mod. I've read through the messages. But I'm not sure what I need to do to run it. Where do I unzip the file to? Where will the mod show up when I start World at War? Does it replace the basic game or is it listed as scenario? Please treat me as if I'm stupid because I am. I don't know what I don't know. Thanks for any and all help. (Yes, I've updated to the most recent patch)

Post #: 37
RE: Fall Weiss II - 8/20/2019 5:20:35 PM   
Tidavis

I have a favor to ask Could all the files needed to play this campaign be gathered in one place and instructions for installation be included?

I have downloaded all I can find, placed it in the documents,my games, sc3waw/campaigns folder and not been able to play it or even open it in the editor.

My SC-WAW is up to date with the newest version.

I do not know what I am misssing or what I am doing wrong

Post #: 38
RE: Fall Weiss II - 8/20/2019 6:37:07 PM   
Tidavis

I re downloaded version 1.4 and that one works. So maybe just a corrupt download on my end.

(in reply to Tidavis)
Post #: 39
RE: Fall Weiss II - 9/28/2019 1:24:28 AM   
jjdenver

Thanks for porting this to WaW Crispy - I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Post #: 40
RE: Fall Weiss II - 9/30/2019 3:26:49 AM   
crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

No problem, it's fallen off the radar a bit as I was focused on the Europe version for quite some time, let me know what you think and more importantly if there is any errors!

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 41
RE: Fall Weiss II - 10/11/2019 3:47:22 AM   
ThunderLizard11

Is this mod updated for 1.05?

Post #: 42
RE: Fall Weiss II - 12/20/2019 10:40:22 PM   
Dizzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crispy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

No problem, it's fallen off the radar a bit as I was focused on the Europe version for quite some time, let me know what you think and more importantly if there is any errors!

Thanks for this mod, crispy.

I was a little confused as to what this mod is and what it does. I had to read everything to figure out the OP had the old 1.1 WM file download and I had to dig through the posts to find the 1.5 version.

Then I realised this mod is two mods. One apparently is a port of your WiE mod, which I had already loaded and was preparing to play on the WiE game, and then saw this. I have both games, WiE and WaW. Which platform should I play your mod on? I'm new and don't know the differences between the WiE and the WaW versions for the Western Front.

The other thing I realized is that the WaW version of the Worldmap is the same scale of the vanilla. I hope one day we would have a scale of the Worldmap that would be the same scale as the Western Theatre. That would be something.

I chose your mod over all the others because I like your expanded interactions between nations, putting a focus on the Axis economy using neutral nations, new and exciting script work and I love the reasoning behind using Division, Corps and Army choices. Looking forward to using the mod. Thank you!

< Message edited by Dizzy -- 12/20/2019 10:54:35 PM >

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 43
RE: Fall Weiss II - 1/28/2020 2:09:47 PM   
Elessar2

Early 1941, playing as Japan, I get a decision event about signing a nonagression pact with the Russians. I choose NO (since I wanted to time my attack with Barbarossa & Pearl Harbor).

May '41, get a popup [not a decision event, just an informational one] telling me that I DID sign just such an pact.

(in reply to Dizzy)
Post #: 44
RE: Fall Weiss II - 1/28/2020 2:54:00 PM   
crispy131313

Hmmm that’s likely just a vanilla information popup. Let me know what happens after USSR is at war, it’s been awhile since I’ve updated/played this.

I’ll have to delete it next time I update, sorry about that.

< Message edited by crispy131313 -- 1/28/2020 3:02:51 PM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 45
RE: Fall Weiss II - 1/30/2020 4:06:01 PM   
Elessar2

Another one. Playing Japan, letting the AI run Germany & Italy (unless they do something utterly dumb).

Barbarossa is now 3 months old [Sept. '41]--and Rumania is still at 71% Axis, annnd that figure hasn't budged since the invasion started. Did my ally do something stupid w/ a decision event, or did the Allied AI put some dip points into the mix?

Post #: 46
RE: Fall Weiss II - 2/4/2020 1:42:59 PM   
crispy131313

I'd have to look into this and what conditions weren't met for war entry... seems odd. Did you do something very unhistorical like attack Spain or something? Did they eventually join? Also what happened with USSR/Japan when Barbarossa started, were they bound to war?

I'll admit I've never put any consideration into co-op play when I've made these mods, the more polished one FWII Europe even has the disclaimer that it is not tested for co-op play at all.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 47
RE: Fall Weiss II - 2/4/2020 2:56:09 PM   
Elessar2

After I went in and manually added a couple of chits, they joined the next turn. No, the German AI didn't do anything ahistorical. But yes, I had decided to attack Vladivostok.

Post #: 48
RE: Fall Weiss II - 2/19/2020 2:35:25 AM   
crispy131313

I think I am ready to pick up this mod again and update.

If anyone has any feedback or has found any bugs etc. that they would like to report it would be appreciated. It's quite a long game and hard to play test.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 49
RE: Fall Weiss II - 2/19/2020 11:58:06 PM   
Elessar2

I'll have more time on the weekend to document some things.

I'd say right up front that research needs to be nerfed, both the base %'s as well as the maximum spending limit--force some hard choices, ensure that by 44-45 both sides aren't basic clones of each other. While I made some changes of my own off of your scenario [beg your pardon if that is an issue for you], even then I saw things like the US at L4 fighters and long range in mid '42, Germans at L4 by late summer.

Bug-US AI will only research Subs when most everything else has reached the max level.

Post #: 50
RE: Fall Weiss II - 2/20/2020 2:33:38 AM   
crispy131313

Well the Uber Research is already toned down on the working version I have on my computer that match vanilla after I updated to the second most recent patch on the weekend, now a new patch is out so more work to duplicate. I think there was some changes in the game engine since I’ve last updated that has more breakthroughs.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 51
RE: Fall Weiss II - 2/21/2020 12:52:01 AM   
Elessar2

Good to hear re: research.

Just an idea: use the Dreadnought slot for the super-battleships: Yamatos, Iowas (Montanas), also German H class & British Lions. If the Yamatos take too much damage their experience bonus goes bye bye.

More US AI weirdness: they built their Essexes LAST, even built their jeep carriers first; all full fleet carriers only started coming online in late '44-'45. Gave me a free hand in the Pacific, culminating with a successful invasion of Australia. There were apparently two offensive scripts, one sent lots of transports & periodically a 7 ship task force to Australia the roundabout way, but in '44-'45 one started up which would send 7 warships straight to the Japanese home islands every 2 months (all of which I easily sunk).

Post #: 52
RE: Fall Weiss II - 2/21/2020 3:47:41 PM   
Elessar2

And the Kongos likely could be reclassified as battlecruisers (as a way of balancing things early in the war). Only 8 inch belt armor, where the British Renowns had 6.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 53
RE: Fall Weiss II - 2/29/2020 5:59:47 PM   
Elessar2

Playing the Euro version currently.

Any idea why Portugal joined the Allies on the very first turn, BEFORE the Allies actually ran their turn and could presumably choose any decisions to that effect?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 54
RE: Fall Weiss II - 3/27/2020 3:51:32 AM   
crispy131313

I've actually been slowing updating this. I've caught it up to the 1.06 patch (still need to review 1.06.01 and the LTR bug) and now just want to transplant over some of the new decisions from Europe mod.

My only question is were any bugs discovered? Elessar I know you have tried this, any bugs found?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 55
RE: Fall Weiss II - 3/28/2020 2:57:20 AM   
Elessar2

None that I can remember at the moment. All I know is that the WiE version is much tougher.

Oh, will mention a couple of things about ports. These apparently derive from Hubert's maps, but #1, there isn't a single British port on the E coast of the island until you go all the way to Edinburgh. Makes supplying a Sea Lion in that area impossible. #2, the La Rochelle port is likewise missing.

< Message edited by Elessar2 -- 3/28/2020 3:43:47 AM >

Post #: 56
RE: Fall Weiss II - 3/28/2020 4:48:25 AM   
crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

None that I can remember at the moment. All I know is that the WiE version is much tougher.

Oh, will mention a couple of things about ports. These apparently derive from Hubert's maps, but #1, there isn't a single British port on the E coast of the island until you go all the way to Edinburgh. Makes supplying a Sea Lion in that area impossible. #2, the La Rochelle port is likewise missing.

It's tougher because it's fined tuned! I've barely found time to play the world map and i'm a bit less ambitious as i found it hard to play test due the sheer size. I've mainly ported over the many decisions (tailored to map size) which create a high level of variability and of course wrote some new decisions as well.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 57
RE: Fall Weiss II - 3/29/2020 2:58:26 PM   
erikbengtsson

Hi!

The world map version looks very interesting! Is 1.5 the latest version? Is the link in the first post updated? Having installation instructions there would be handy too. :)

< Message edited by erikbengtsson -- 3/29/2020 3:07:59 PM >

Post #: 58
RE: Fall Weiss II - 3/29/2020 3:50:17 PM   
crispy131313

Hi Erik, I will upload a new version soon but the current one available has the LRT bug which requires manual fix.

(in reply to erikbengtsson)
Post #: 59
RE: Fall Weiss II - 3/30/2020 2:22:30 PM   
John B.

FYI, I tried to respond to your pm but your mailbox is full. :)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios >> RE: Fall Weiss II Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI