Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 10:53:12 PM   
geofflambert

Found this stuff down in my shop, I'd forgotten I had them. I'm going to give them to one of the hospitals here. I also found a whole bunch of those long handled stick-up-your-nose swabs they use for testing. I saw on the news a little while ago that there's a shortage of those too. I have no idea how I ended up with those. Had some procedural gloves too.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3031
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 10:54:15 PM   
RangerJoe

For those in the front lines, just remember something:

Attachment (1)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3032
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 10:54:26 PM   
PaxMondo

Some data that may not be in the general public yet:

FYI

Peak demand for hospital resources due to COVID-19 is expected by mid-April in the U.S., according to an analysis from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation in Seattle.
The study presents estimates of predicted health service utilization and deaths due to COVID-19 for each state in the U.S. if social distancing measures are maintained. Researchers used state-level hospital capacity data, data on confirmed COVID-19 deaths from the World Health Organization, and observed COVID-19 utilization from select locations.
While peak demand for resources, namely hospital beds and ventilators, will occur at the national level in two weeks, this varies by state. About a third of states, including New York, are projected to hit peak capacity in the first half of April, but some states will see the most demand for hospital resources in May.
Below is the projected date of peak hospital resource demand in each state according to the model, which uses data last updated April 1.
April 8
New Jersey
April 9
Louisiana
Michigan
New York
Vermont
April 11
Delaware
Washington
April 15
Alaska
Connecticut
District of Columbia
April 16
Massachusetts
April 17
Alabama
Colorado
Maine
New Hampshire
April 18
Pennsylvania
April 19
Indiana
Ohio
Tennessee
April 20
Illinois
Nevada
Rhode Island
April 21
Mississippi
North Dakota
April 22
Minnesota
April 23
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Utah
April 24
Georgia
New Mexico
April 26
Arkansas
California
Idaho
Montana
North Carolina
April 27
Arizona
Wisconsin
April 28
Kansas
South Carolina
April 29
Maryland
May 1
Iowa
May 3
Florida
Hawaii
May 4
South Dakota
West Virginia
Wyoming
May 5
Oregon
May 6
Texas
May 16
Kentucky
May 20
Virginia
May 21
Missouri

Pax

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3033
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 11:09:03 PM   
MakeeLearn

Closer look....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/2/2020 11:24:31 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3034
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 11:12:31 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Coronavirus and cruises: Roughly 10 ships are stuck at sea amid pandemic
Published 2 days ago
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coronavirus-cruises-ships-stranded-sea-pandemic

Oh boy... I just thought about this: what about military ships?

We have the Theodore Roosevelt case, but seas and oceans are crossed by warships of any nation (all with cramped quarters and commodities sharing). What about them? Is someone testing the crews?

If done correctly that info will not be available.

Until an unusually long visit to a port, paired with the ship in self-quarantine ("Yo, dudes, why nobody is disembarking from that shi... Oh ****!!) gives the game away.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3035
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 11:13:51 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

As I said to my daughter during a conversation last night, just imagine what is going to happen in this country when a law enforcement has to shoot a looter, carrying a gun, for breaking into a store and disobeying an order to stop.

The rioting will begin.

How long does it last in normal times? Long time.

The rioting has started in this thread. How long will it last? Long time.

Get your sh*t together, find your brain.

Too many dumbsh*ts in the world want to keep this crap ongoing.

Who wants to step up and say "I am the top dumbsh*t".

Too many, it seems.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 3036
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 11:17:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Actually, the CAPTAIN leaked a letter from Acting Sec of the Navy to the media.

And he just ended his career by being sacked.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/uss-theodore-roosevelt-commanding-officer-relieved

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 3037
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 11:22:17 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

He should kiss the gunner's daughter.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3038
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/2/2020 11:40:18 PM   
alanschu

Oooof France exploded. 1355 deaths.

I know US numbers are updated more periodically but that was almost a 100% increase over yesterday's deaths.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3039
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 12:29:29 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Are you angry at the Chicoms yet?

How about this? 760,000 people flooded into the US from China AFTER the CCP knew about the deadliness and alarming infectiousness of the virus.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/disaster-motion-34-million-travelers-poured-us-coronavirus/story?id=69933625

If you ask me, the f****** did that on purpose and if someone bothers to look it up I suspect they did the same thing to Europe. It is either epic bureaucratic incompetence or it is an act of evil the world has not seen for 50 years (since Mao)

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 3040
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 12:30:11 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

What is the date after which anyone getting on a cruise deserves not to be rescued? After the publicity about the Princess Cruise ship berthed off Japan, how could ANYONE be so stupid? Any cruise line which boarded a ship after that date is going to have major liabilities to both governments that paid for the care and to passengers, who will claim they were unaware of the danger.

How much you want to bet Miami will be sued for not closing the beach during Spring Break and New Orleans for holding Mardi Gras. The plaintiffs will go for class action status, perhaps including patients who had only secondary exposure to travelers. Even insurance companies might bring claims because they will suffer massive losses. Reinsurance funds will get badly hammered.

It may take an act of Congress like after the 9-11 attack.

Maybe the plaintiffs could hire that lawyer who attended two parties while feeling ill and single-handedly got NYC's pandemic rolling! He's gonna need the work to pay for the lawsuits against him!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 3041
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 12:34:00 AM   
Cap Mandrake

The "West" owes the CCP big time. 99% of the Chinese are clueless or dare not espouse their suspicions...and the rest should have a date at The Hague.

Post #: 3042
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 12:44:18 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

What is the date after which anyone getting on a cruise deserves not to be rescued? After the publicity about the Princess Cruise ship berthed off Japan, how could ANYONE be so stupid? Any cruise line which boarded a ship after that date is going to have major liabilities to both governments that paid for the care and to passengers, who will claim they were unaware of the danger.

How much you want to bet Miami will be sued for not closing the beach during Spring Break and New Orleans for holding Mardi Gras. The plaintiffs will go for class action status, perhaps including patients who had only secondary exposure to travelers. Even insurance companies might bring claims because they will suffer massive losses. Reinsurance funds will get badly hammered.

Maybe the plaintiffs could hire that lawyer who attended two parties while feeling ill and single-handedly got NYC's pandemic rolling! He's gonna need the work to pay for the lawsuits against him!

Do you know 1000 people had to quarantined when he tested positive? Probably he had the party-goers sign waivers.

Patient Zero: "..the party to the first part acknowledges the party to the second part cannot have exert knowledge about the transmissibility of infectious agents...."

Party-goer: What's this about, man?

Patient Zero: Waiver for the free drinks.

Party-goer: OK, COOL! <signs waiver>

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3043
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 12:48:01 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Do you know 1000 people had to quarantined when he tested positive? Probably he had the party-goers sign waivers.

Patient Zero: "..the party to the first part acknowledges the party to the second part cannot have exert knowledge about the transmissibility of infectious agents...."

Party-goer: What's this about, man?

Patient Zero: Waiver for the free drinks.

Party-goer: OK, COOL! <signs waiver>

Someone seems to be a little perturbed!

Maybe we should start on lawyer jokes!

― Julia Child

Post #: 3044
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 12:54:06 AM   
Footslogger

This is the Chinese Border?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kN0e_1585827952

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3045
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 1:03:45 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

This is the Chinese Border?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kN0e_1585827952

Like they didn't know EXACTLY what was going on? that is mid January

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 3046
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 1:24:16 AM   
RangerJoe

Doctors At University of Pittsburgh Medical Center: We’ve Developed a Vaccine Against Coronavirus
Posted at 4:00 pm on April 2, 2020

quote:

Doctors and researchers at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center have announced amazing news.

They are saying they’ve created a vaccine that can protect against developing COVID-19 and they want federal permission for human trials.

From Penn Live:

They said they began working on it Jan. 21 and found mice had developed antibodies against COVID-19 about two weeks after receiving the vaccine. They said they based the vaccine on work previously done at UPMC that sought to create vaccines to protect against SARS and MERS, which they said are similar to the new coronavirus.

Not only that the doctors say the vaccine is easily deliverable in large quantities.

They further said their vaccine is one that is easily scalable to produce in large quantities. It also includes a unique delivery method in which hundreds of tiny needles are in a patch similar to a Band-Aid, with the needles, made of sugar and protein particles, dissolving into the skin to deliver the vaccine.

https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/2020/04/02/doctors-at-university-of-pittsburgh-medical-center-weve-developed-a-vaccine-for-the-wuhan-virus/

― Julia Child

Post #: 3047
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 2:33:15 AM   
Ian R

Lower on the page they refer to it as a "potential" vaccine.

Hopefully it works.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3048
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 2:40:24 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This should be a time when our own viewpoints, ideals, the things that frustrate and make us cringe, can all be taken a bit more lightly, or even let go completely. That person posting has a family, friends, a life that is important and unique, and we're going through a time when we all have to consider more than ourselves.

This is exactly what I am referring to when I say assumption of good intent. Even If I think somebody might not be taking it to heart, everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Lokasenna

You belittled what I posted in the third person. When I pointed out that I was the individual, you never responded. Your choice. Bye-bye.

How do you call a girl from Iowa?

SOOO-EEEEE!

Sorry, it just kinda got lost in the shuffle. I'm also sorry that you found what I stated about it to be belittling, because it wasn't intended as such. All I intended to point out was that anecdote is anecdote, and is not necessarily true for the population writ large. Your truth is your truth, and macro truths are what they are. Numbers don't lie, and cases don't either (usually).

quote:

And they'll be laughed out of court, and hopefully the defendants pursue recompense for legal fees.

Everyone should be rescued. A life is a life is a life. Further, how much can you really blame someone when the major news outlets that are available for them to consume are not necessarily being truthful? What about the folks who were hearing nothing but "it's not that serious" on their local news (not even a certain national cable channel)? Their institutions failed them.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3049
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 2:42:47 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Interesting graphic. Looks like the stay at home orders are in fact important. The large map here (attached) shows that a lot of areas went about business as usual.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/02/us/coronavirus-social-distancing.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Humblebrag about my work/live counties being on the far left, albeit on the bottom graph.

That article has really neat infographics. Highly recommend that everyone digest them.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3050
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 2:47:17 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'll simply say that I disagree with most of Loka's comments, some strongly. The main thing to note, for his own info, is that he wasn't even close in hazarding a guess as to the most offensive political posts. As I noted yesterday, I won't go any further with that because doing so would call out some good men who were letting fly, and some with good reason.

Loka, if you'd like to discuss further by PM, I'd be glad to.

We can air our dirty laundry out in public just fine, thanks, since you've been "so kind" as to put me on blast as basically being a POS in public. Please let us all know what you think the most offensive political posts are, especially since you've said I am turning a blind eye to them. And because you've backed up precisely zero of your assertions with references, I frankly have no idea what you're talking about anymore. What a sad state of affairs. And hey, maybe I am turning a blind eye to these apparently egregious violations of unwritten rules. But if you would be so gentlemanly as to let me know what you actually think? That'd be great. Please stop with the backhanded insinuations and put-downs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3051
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 4:19:07 AM   
Canoerebel

Loka, you're peeved about perceived backhanded blasts painting you as a POS (untrue, to my way of thinking) while hammering me clearly and openly.

I'd prefer not to carry on with this in here, but I'm glad to "sit down" and air our grievances privately. It might be fruitful. Maybe not. If you prefer doing it publicly, could we just stand down for awhile and green button each other until things cool a bit?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/3/2020 5:06:30 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3052
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 6:14:44 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

I know US numbers are updated more periodically but that was almost a 100% increase over yesterday's deaths.
warspite1

Apparently that was because they added the non-hospital deaths.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 3053
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 8:15:04 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well I haven't been buying the comments re Germany. And suddenly their critical cases seem to have exploded from a consistently tiny figure (I don't believe the UK critical figure either - or the recovered number come to that).

If the reasons given for such a low German death rate were to be believed, surely there is no reason - following even tighter lock down measures - that their deaths and criticals should suddenly start rising? Even for a country as efficient as Germany, those numbers (compared to all those around them) just didn't stack up. Or maybe this is just a blip. I watch this with interest. For the avoidance of doubt I don't think there is anything sinister here - I just think there may have been a difference in procedure (how deaths are checked for Corona) and reporting.

It's been posted numerous times on this thread and there is abundant info on Germany available with a quick search.

1. Case age average up until about 3-4 days ago was 46 years old. Very low
2. This was caused mainly by skiing crowd picking it up and coming back, then partying at Carnival.
3. Older people told early on to isolate, no visits to care homes, etc.
4. Extensive testing and case tracking early.
5. Extensive testing finds more mild or asymptomatic cases bring the mortality rates down.

There are a lot of reports that now it's finding a way into care homes and other vectors to the more vulneable, so as seen elsewhere, this would bring up critical cases and mortality.

In the UK London is the centre of this so far and only 11% of Londoners are over 70, IIRC. There are obviously other risk factors though, and low testing means mortality rates will at least seem higher until we know more about who has or has had this.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3054
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 8:15:05 AM   
Wuffer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

warspite1

Apparently that was because they added the non-hospital deaths.

Yes, it spreader much faster and deadlier than assumed before.

Let's hope it won't be so hard in the rest of the UK.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/coronavirus-took-hold-in-uk-earlier-than-thought-data-reveals

"Earliest death occurred on 28 February, almost a week before previously acknowledged"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3055
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 8:25:47 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Hopefully it works.

When I post like that, I am giving the title of the article. Then I will quote some things from the article.

Yes, hopefully it works AND is safe.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 3056
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 8:38:58 AM   
Wuffer

quote:

quote:

Well I haven't been buying the comments re Germany. And suddenly their critical cases seem to have exploded from a consistently tiny figure (I don't believe the UK critical figure either - or the recovered number come to that).

If the reasons given for such a low German death rate were to be believed, surely there is no reason - following even tighter lock down measures - that their deaths and criticals should suddenly start rising? Even for a country as efficient as Germany, those numbers (compared to all those around them) just didn't stack up. Or maybe this is just a blip. I watch this with interest. For the avoidance of doubt I don't think there is anything sinister here - I just think there may have been a difference in procedure (how deaths are checked for Corona) and reporting.

It's been posted numerous times on this thread and there is abundant info on Germany available with a quick search.

1. Case age average up until about 3-4 days ago was 46 years old. Very low
2. This was caused mainly by skiing crowd picking it up and coming back, then partying at Carnival.
3. Older people told early on to isolate, no visits to care homes, etc.
4. Extensive testing and case tracking early.
5. Extensive testing finds more mild or asymptomatic cases bring the mortality rates down.

There are a lot of reports that now it's finding a way into care homes and other vectors to the more vulneable, so as seen elsewhere, this would bring up critical cases and mortality.

In the UK London is the centre of this so far and only 11% of Londoners are over 70, IIRC. There are obviously other risk factors though, and low testing means mortality rates will at least seem higher until we know more about who has or has had this.

Thanks Obvert.

G'men,
this is not the Olympic Games.

We could only solve this together.

Maybe we should forget about WW2 for a while, not to mention Brexit.

Even 'The Sun' slowly realizes this, e.g. their actual head lines: "from bad to Wurst"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3057
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 9:08:10 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Hopefully it works.

This is an article saying it's a peer reviewed study that has already gone through testing on mice with success. They began in January as they were apparently already going on a SARS/MERS vaccine and switched it over.

Could be very good as hey say it scales very well.

https://neurosciencenews.com/covid-19-vaccine-promise-16062/

There is also this which was very surprising! Didn't see this coming!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/01/british-american-tobacco-plant-based-coronavirus-vaccine

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 3058
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 9:16:53 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

It would seem that he expected this. I can't find the link now, but when the Captain wrote his letter about the situation I read a comment by a former Secretary of the Navy: "This is a very unusual case: a captain that puts the wellbeing of his men before his career."

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 3059
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/3/2020 9:31:47 AM   
obvert

quote:

Are you angry at the Chicoms yet?

How about this? 760,000 people flooded into the US from China AFTER the CCP knew about the deadliness and alarming infectiousness of the virus.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/disaster-motion-34-million-travelers-poured-us-coronavirus/story?id=69933625

If you ask me, the f****** did that on purpose and if someone bothers to look it up I suspect they did the same thing to Europe. It is either epic bureaucratic incompetence or it is an act of evil the world has not seen for 50 years (since Mao)

Ok. The video you posted going through evidence this spilled accidentally from the Wuhan virology lab looks legit. Some commenters, some native Mandarin speakers, verified the posts of data in Chinese on the video. It was well researched and corroborated. That lab is very close to the wet market as well. And there is this missing person who worked there during the time all of this kicked off.

So there was a BIG mistake, and they tried to cover it, then contain it, then cover up the actual numbers and effects of it. Looks like they're still doing a bit of that, but it's kind of amazing then that they didn't hide those documents from the Virology lab. Of course they could be fabricated too. Who really knows.

We do know something is fishy.

But travel is a different thing altogether. This article mentions also that about 1/3 of that number were Americans returning home from travelling in China. All you have to do is look at the number of normally scheduled fights around the world to see that this stuff will spread regardless of intent.

Travel data of passengers arriving in the United States from China during the critical period in December, January and February, when the disease took hold in that country, shows a stunning 759,493 people entered the U.S.

"This is an astonishing number in a short period of time, illustrating how globalized our world has become. Just as people can hop continents with amazing ease, the infections they carry can too," said Dr. Vinayak Kumar, an internal medicine resident at the Mayo Clinic and a contributor to the ABC News Medical Unit.

Those travelers from China included more than 228,000 Americans returning home and hundreds of thousands of Chinese nationals arriving for business, academics, tourism or to visit family.

There were also a LOT more coming later from places where the virus had already taken hold in Europe.

ABC News examined data from December, January and February on travelers entering the U.S. from eight of the hardest-hit countries: 343,402 arrived from Italy, 418,848 from Spain and about 1.9 million more came from Britain.

The idea that the Chinese are misrepresenting the situation in China, and have been doing so for a very long time, is now beyond doubt.

The idea that this was somehow an intentional spread of disease is not clearly supported by any objective information, but would also not stand up to basic logic: China is a manufacturing nation, it's economy relying on the purchasing power and economic health of the other wealthy developed countries, most especially the US. China and Chinese companies have extensive investments in the US and any downturn in the economy will hurt them as much or more as the US and Europe.

While China now carries a big stick to go along with it's focus on commerce, it's essentially a mercantile empire, not a military expansionist one.

Post #: 3060
Page:   <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI