Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Renny Harlin's Winter War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Renny Harlin's Winter War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Renny Harlin's Winter War - 7/19/2003 3:48:25 AM   
Zakhal

Has anyone seen this movie, have they even finished it yet? All ive heard is rumors.

quote:

August 14, 2001 - Renny Harlin: "Let Me Finnish!"

Director Driven back to homeland for new biopic that may star Jude Law.

According to Screendaily, Finnish-born director Renny Harlin (Driven, Die Hard 2) wants to return to his native country to make a biopic about World War II figure Carl Gustaf Mannerheim. Mannerheim is still revered in Finland "50 years after his death for resisting the invasion of Stalin's Red Army against overwhelming odds during World War II. Mannerheim is credited with having saved Finland from the fate of most east European countries, which succumbed to post-war Soviet Communist domination." Harlin advised Screendaily that he'd like Jude Law to play Mannerheim but if the Lawman passes then Harlin believes that many "young-generation actors would surely consider this the opportunity of a lifetime to play the role of a multi-faceted hero in a big epic movie".

The English-language version of Harlin's script should be ready by late August. The project is expected to cost roughly $30 million (U.S.) dollars; Finland-based cellular phone manufacturer Nokia is helping to raise funds for the picture. There may be one potential roadblock for Harlin's Mannerheim biopic. Finland fought alongside the Nazis after 1941; will American (and some European) audiences want to see a film that's about "the other side"? Time will tell.

Reuters did a fine job in summarizing Mannerheim's life. "Mannerheim, born in 1867, was schooled in the Czar's army when Finland was part of the Russian empire. When it declared independence after the Russian revolution of 1917, he defeated Communist rebels in the Finnish Civil War the following year. Broader fame came when he commanded Finland's greatly outnumbered troops in resisting a Soviet invasion in the Winter War of 1939-1940. Despite his suspicion of Hitler, Mannerheim later led Finnish forces in alliance with Germany against Moscow in 1941 and, (*)having become president in 1944, negotiated a peace with Stalin that helped ensure Helsinki's postwar independence."

Renny Harlin was attached to direct Pierce Brosnan in a big screen version of Ray Bradbury's time-travel tale A Sound of Thunder.

-- Stax

link

(*)He became a president after Ryti (finnish president before mannerheim) resigned breaking the "no seperate peace" contract with Hitler. When germans signed the treaty of giving aid to finland with teh condition that finland would not make a seperate peace, they didnt know that if finnish president resigns, the contract's he had written are no longer void. Or somthing like that. In short, finns cheated hitler.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Post #: 1
- 7/19/2003 7:54:25 AM   
Losqualo

I didn't even heard rumors, but I'd surely be interested in that movie.
The bonds between Germany and Finland are one of those things you'll never hear of in (german) history lessons at school.:(

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 2
- 7/23/2003 10:39:02 PM   
ananias

Oh, no. God no.

I can just imagine it: Mannerheim riding in to the heat of the battle, blasting away 1000+ russians with a Suomi SMGs in both hands... And let´s not forget the one-liners.

I have no problems about somebody making a film about Mannerheim´s life, as long as that "somebody" isn´t mr. Harlin.

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Renny Harlin's Winter War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI