Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  114 115 [116] 117 118   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/7/2020 6:51:38 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

For some reason I feel like watching both Ran, and 7 Samurai.

Why not? - both are excellent movies. The first is a Japanese version of King Lear, the second the inspiration for The Magnificent 7.

You could also try Yojimbo and Sanjuro -same director -Akira Kurosawa. The two movies were the inspiration for A Fist Full of Dollars and For a few Dollars more. The final showdown, I think it's in Sanjuro, is excellent.

Yojimbo is next on my list of DVDs to watch.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3451
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/7/2020 6:53:18 PM   
Chickenboy

Warspite1 TRIGGER ALERT!

TRIGGER FOLLOWS! WARSPITE1 SHOULD CEASE READING ANY FURTHER!

OK! YOU WERE WARNED!

After Yojimbo, is A Night to Remember-the original Titanic movie.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3452
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/7/2020 7:01:19 PM   
ncc1701e

I am six episodes from the end of Battlestar Galactica (season 4). I had never seen it. Good show.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3453
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 8:57:04 AM   
warspite1

I watched a film about Diego Maradona. Two hours long and well worth a watch. Didn't go into huge amounts of detail (I suspect there is an awful lot more to the story than can be told) but gives a great overview of one of the greatest players to have played the game.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 3454
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 9:14:04 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I watched a film about Diego Maradona. Two hours long and well worth a watch. Didn't go into huge amounts of detail (I suspect there is an awful lot more to the story than can be told) but gives a great overview of one of the greatest players to have played the game.

Indeed. And yet I mostly remember the bad.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3455
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 9:33:17 AM   
loki100

ok, not exactly watching at the moment, but am rather looking forward to series 3 of Killing Eve

Also slowly wandering our way through Outlander, its not exactly demanding but mostly enjoyable - apart from pushing the fantasy that the 1745-6 rebellion was some sort of early form of Scottish nationalism (when the great majority of Scots readily stayed neutral or backed the Hannoverian side).

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3456
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 11:10:51 AM   
nicwb

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not? - both are excellent movies. The first is a Japanese version of King Lear, the second the inspiration for The Magnificent 7.

You could also try Yojimbo and Sanjuro -same director -Akira Kurosawa. The two movies were the inspiration for A Fist Full of Dollars and For a few Dollars more. The final showdown, I think it's in Sanjuro, is excellent.

Enjoy !

I decided I needed a laugh so today was Mel Brook's "Young Frankenstein"

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3457
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 12:49:02 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Enjoy !

Imagine Toshiro Mifune in a Mel Brooks film.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3458
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 1:02:09 PM   
warspite1

Tim Brooke-Taylor RIP

The Goodies was essential TV for a 10-year old back in the mid-70's.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3459
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 1:42:13 PM   
loki100

quote:

Tim Brooke-Taylor RIP

I know, a real loss. Some one who was invariably nice in his use of humour

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3460
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 1:45:45 PM   
nicwb

quote:

Tim Brooke-Taylor RIP

A real loss ! Watched and laughed at "The Goodies" repeatedly (even now on DVD) - a lot of clever satire under the fun.

Vale TBT OBE.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3461
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 3:52:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Disney Pixar's Up - what a stonkingly good film

Speaking of bringing things 'full circle' again. Watched this one with Mrs. Chickenboy and the Chickenboys junior on Friday. We hadn't seen it since the theaters.

What a stonkingly good film!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3462
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 3:53:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Enjoy !

Say....nice knockers!

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3463
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/12/2020 6:15:16 PM   
warspite1

Belgravia

I have to say this has been a most pleasant surprise. It is by the writer of Downton Abbey. Let's hope this continues in such strong fashion. A very strong cast.

Who doesn't like a period piece?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/12/2020 7:41:01 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3464
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/19/2020 12:40:30 PM   
shunwick

Currently watching Children of Earth, Torchwood's five part serial that formed their third season. It was originally broadcast on consecutive nights about 10 years ago but I missed it the first time around. Watched Day One and Day Two so far and if the remaining three parts are as good as those then it is going to be a cracker. Available on BBC iPlayer.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3465
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/20/2020 7:43:31 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Currently watching Children of Earth, Torchwood's five part serial that formed their third season. It was originally broadcast on consecutive nights about 10 years ago but I missed it the first time around. Watched Day One and Day Two so far and if the remaining three parts are as good as those then it is going to be a cracker. Available on BBC iPlayer.

Best wishes,
Steve

sounds good, may poke my nose into it

rather belated, we've just starting watching Breaking Bad. Only 5 episodes in, its well put together, written and acted but to me it overdoes the key theme in the Sopranos of trying to get you to identify with someone doing things you should condemn? To me, one reason why the Sopranos was great was that fundamentally Tony did nothing for a good reason, that he used some of his immoral earnings to support his family was almost incidental? Yet so far in Breaking Bad feel a bit led by the nose to accepting that Walter is doing this to pay for his medical treatment.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3466
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/20/2020 9:13:57 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

rather belated, we've just starting watching Breaking Bad. Only 5 episodes in, its well put together, written and acted but to me it overdoes the key theme in the Sopranos of trying to get you to identify with someone doing things you should condemn? To me, one reason why the Sopranos was great was that fundamentally Tony did nothing for a good reason, that he used some of his immoral earnings to support his family was almost incidental? Yet so far in Breaking Bad feel a bit led by the nose to accepting that Walter is doing this to pay for his medical treatment.

Keep watching ... Walter's goals "evolve" and everyone's motivation gets complicated. I was a little skeptical about the show when it first aired, but I think the character study went deeper than The Sopranos and the story became bigger in scope as the seasons went on.

Once you've finished Breaking Bad, start watching Better Call Saul - a prequel that in many ways is even better.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3467
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/20/2020 9:28:23 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

I am six episodes from the end of Battlestar Galactica (season 4). I had never seen it. Good show.

Done with the show - the ending is funny... The "story" that repeats itself.

You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 3468
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/22/2020 8:49:16 AM   
Jason96

Just finished Contagion (2011 film)
The world seems to be have a funny sense of humor. In 2011, we were just audience. but now 2020, we are actors.
I wish it's just a dream.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3469
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/22/2020 9:00:43 PM   
ncc1701e

This one is on my list now. Never seen it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_(1958_film)

(in reply to Jason96)
Post #: 3470
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/23/2020 5:13:54 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

I really want to watch Breaking Bad. We bought it at Christmas as it was on offer but had to take it back three times as there was an issue with a disc. Seems the whole batch had the same problem so eventually got our money back. Hopefully one day - everyone tells me how brilliant it is....

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3471
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/23/2020 5:17:18 AM   
warspite1

Watched the entire 2 series and Christmas special of The Office while laid up poorly.

Still worth watching, although I wince at some bits I know are coming - the welcome speech to the 'Swindon lot' and the 'Flashdance meets MC Hammer' decacle..... It really is car crash comedy in places.

But I still love the ending for Tim and Dawn. Superb.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3472
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/27/2020 4:23:39 PM   
warspite1

Watching Berlin Babylon. I've watched the first two series and now on number 3.

Very watchable - at times wonderfully atmospheric too. There is something about Berlin, Germans and Germany. Set in the 1929 during the Weimar Republic, the show is a crime drama but with the added value of much that that period of time can being to a show - Communist agitation, The Reichswehr, Hindenburg......

Only minor gripe is that its at its most gripping as a political thriller - I hope season 3 remembers that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3473
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/27/2020 4:34:27 PM   
warspite1

Speaking of very watchable - if you have access to the BBC or iplayer then you would do worse than to watch The Planets with Dr Brian Cox. Do I understand much of what he's talking about? No. But that does not stop what he's saying taking your breath away. I never knew Venus and Mars both once teemed with water.

This dude knows his stuff.... and it's fascinating.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3474
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/27/2020 5:43:37 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Speaking of very watchable - if you have access to the BBC or iplayer then you would do worse than to watch The Planets with Dr Brian Cox. Do I understand much of what he's talking about? No. But that does not stop what he's saying taking your breath away. I never knew Venus and Mars both once teemed with water.

This dude knows his stuff.... and it's fascinating.

Yes, they both had water. Now Venus has a hot, acid atmosphere. She can easily kill you. Hot but deadly. Now you know why women are from Venus.

Mars is much more nice although a little cold.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3475
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/27/2020 10:04:40 PM   
bomccarthy

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3476
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/28/2020 2:57:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

I really want to watch Breaking Bad. We bought it at Christmas as it was on offer but had to take it back three times as there was an issue with a disc. Seems the whole batch had the same problem so eventually got our money back. Hopefully one day - everyone tells me how brilliant it is....

Can you not stream it over yonder? It's available through a variety of streaming platforms here.

The entire series is good to very good. But Season 7 has some episodes that will take your breath away-they're as good as television gets IMO.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3477
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/28/2020 3:44:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Can you not stream it over yonder? It's available through a variety of streaming platforms here.

The entire series is good to very good. But Season 7 has some episodes that will take your breath away-they're as good as television gets IMO.
warspite1

No I don't have access to that streaming stuff - whatever that is. Pity, but maybe it will appear on Sky again at some point.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3478
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 4/28/2020 3:48:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

warspite1

Not got a good write up but I'll give it a go (I think it's coming out on Sky Atlantic at the start of May) and see what's what.

I gave up on Westworld after about 15 minutes of the first episode of the latest series. What a load of.... I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on in the first series and season 2 just got more complicated. Series 3 looked like more of the same. I want to be entertained not bamboozled by script writers who fall over themselves in an effort to be oh so clever

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 3479
Page:   <<   < prev  114 115 [116] 117 118   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  114 115 [116] 117 118   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI