Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

KB encounter Enterprise in first turn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> KB encounter Enterprise in first turn Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/1/2020 7:17:25 PM   
splashell

Interesting, just started PBEM and we get first turn CV surface encounter in 165, 104 (SW of French Frigate shoal). The other participant says he had original KB route order (i.e. north of Midway etc. Has anyone seen this before?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/1/2020 7:28:32 PM   
Alfred

This will not happen if Historical First Turn option was selected.  If not selected it can occur if the Japanese player deliberately goes hunting for the American carriers.

Alfred

(in reply to splashell)
Post #: 2
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/1/2020 7:42:56 PM   
gervabit

I am the opponent, the KB did not receive any change of course or commander, nor were the orders of the planes changed for naval attack. The first time something like this happens to me.
We are playing DaBigBabes-A, Stock Map, Dec. 7 Start with stack limit

< Message edited by gervabit -- 6/1/2020 7:47:57 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/1/2020 7:53:41 PM   
Alfred

And I repeat this will not happen with Historical First Turn Selected.  With that selection you don't get a chance to alter orders.

Alfred

(in reply to gervabit)
Post #: 4
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/1/2020 8:33:18 PM   
splashell

I remember reading an AAR (don't remember which) but there was an exact same occurrence and iirc it was never really figured out why. Maybe it was an occurrence of the right/wrong planets lining up and we can get on with this now. I altered Enterprise course a bit south to see what happens. Definitely I wouldn't have accepted an outcome of first turn CV hunting and the turn would have been made again in this regard, in any case. (Indeed the new turn has the same Japanese initial orders, only Allied had to make orders again, but it would've been interesting to see if this situation could've been replicated).

< Message edited by splashell -- 6/1/2020 8:39:03 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/1/2020 8:43:21 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

did they fight?

if they didn't, a simple gentlemen pact: neither TF can launch naval attacks for one or two turns

(in reply to splashell)
Post #: 6
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/1/2020 8:53:34 PM   
splashell

The TFs both withdrew and allied orders were given again (though saved them to different slot as well to save time if happens again :)). I think Japan would have lost the opportunity for PH attack, being so far away and unable to attack CVs as well.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 7
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/1/2020 11:55:26 PM   
Hoplosternum

This sort of happened to me.

We were not using historic first turn and I had moved the Pearl attack carriers by a couple of hexes (but still to attack Pearl).

They met Lexington even though my path took KB north of Midway so I didn't see how it could have occurred.

We redid the turn as apart from Kaga and Lexington trading a few volleys (no hits I think) the Pearl attack was aborted.

KB aborted half way back to Japan so she was completely out of position for everything. It would have been different if I had tried some move. If those go wrong you just have to wear it. But I was only trying to move the attack a couple of hexes.

I looked at my pre-end turn save and the path should not have taken KB so far south to meet Lexington. It is possible I suppose that I altered the turn in error afterwards just before completing the turn but I don't think so. And the battle happened quite far south so I don't think it was the allied player moving Lex to try and bag the replenishment tankers either.

We both agreed to a redo where I did NOT alter the Pearl strike.

(in reply to splashell)
Post #: 8
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/2/2020 12:02:19 AM   
BBfanboy

On a non-historical start, I wonder if it is possible that both sides got really good D/Ls on the enemy and reacted toward each other? I think Enterprise would have had to be ordered E or NE to get close enough for the same hex encounter.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Hoplosternum)
Post #: 9
RE: KB encounter Enterprise in first turn - 6/4/2020 5:57:36 AM   
DesertWolf101

In a non-historical start, it is possible to interdict the KB move, thus depriving it of a PH attack by sending it back to port. For instance, if the Allied side moves the Lex TF to hex 155,104 and have it remain on station, it will intercept the KB on its normal route to PH (even if the game shows the route going north of Midway - something to do with the magic jump?). You can counter this by setting different waypoints towards PH to shift the default route. I learned of this recently when I investigated the phenomenon when it occurred to a youtuber playing AE I was watching. IMO, I consider this a pretty gamey trick if done deliberately. That is not to say I believe it was deliberate for you guys - it is possible for these intercepts to occur accidentally.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> KB encounter Enterprise in first turn Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI