Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrolling)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrolling) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrolling) - 6/8/2020 3:21:08 PM   
Kaiji

I gave in and took the plunge on this game since I couldn't get it on Steam and test the UI scaling with my 2K monitor with the option of a refund.

I was pleased to see that it looks fine using the ingame 125% DPI option, but extremely displeased that the scrolling is what seems at least 1000% slower, chugging shuggishly tile by tile as though my octacore CPU is somehow being pushed to it's absolute limits of capability under the overwhelming strain of displaying a turn based strategy game at a scaled resolution.

This is with the open beta patch. Is this going to be fixed?

------------------------------------------

After further testing I figured out that the scrolling delay doesn't occur using 125% Windows DPI scaling , so I enabled that in ShadowEmpire.exe [Right click>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior">Select "System (Enhanced)"], changed windows.txt to read ...

dpi_by_windows=on
windowed_mode=on
windowed_mode_w=2048
windowed_mode_h=1152

... and used Borderless Gaming to make it fullscreen. The only downside is no edge-scrolling, but I can live with that. Hopefully a middle-click drag-scroll feature will be implemented a la Dominions and many other strategy games.

EDIT: This will only work if you have already have Windows scaling enabled on that monitor in Windows settings.

< Message edited by Kaiji -- 6/8/2020 7:22:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 3:38:18 PM   
Crimguy

I have to +1. I too have a pretty fast computer and a decent, if not great in 2020, graphics card. Scaling the UI slows the game a lot, and it increases the higher the scaling setting. Makes it very frustrating to play.

(in reply to Kaiji)
Post #: 2
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 3:45:37 PM   
Saros

Have you guys got the beta update? This is already addressed in it apparently.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 3
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 3:47:59 PM   
Kaiji

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saros

Have you guys got the beta update? This is already addressed in it apparently.

I installed it immediately after installing the game since I was aware it was an issue.

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 4
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 3:55:38 PM   
aperfecturkel

I actually think the fix in the beta patch is only set up for the 2x scaling option so far - on my system, no scaling runs fine (but is too small to see at full res), and 2x scaling runs just as well, but the other options - 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x - are all equally sluggish and stuttering.

(in reply to Kaiji)
Post #: 5
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 3:58:48 PM   
Shards

I know it's not an ideal solution, but I run the game at a different resolution rather than using the fractional scaling options. I have a 4k monitor but run at 2560x1440 for the effect of 150% DPI, and the game runs great.

Vic has improved the 200% scaling, but the others are non-trivial problems when it comes to sorting out what colour each pixel should be.

(in reply to aperfecturkel)
Post #: 6
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 4:03:05 PM   
aperfecturkel

Oh good point, the visual math of double-scale is a lot easier to parse. I've slid down resolution as well, and other than the minor annoyance of the screen resize it works perfectly well. Wouldn't mind my native if I could get it, but all in time I suspect.

(in reply to Shards)
Post #: 7
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 4:34:49 PM   
Kaiji

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shards

I know it's not an ideal solution, but I run the game at a different resolution rather than using the fractional scaling options.

Not an option for me since I use two monitors. Switching the res for a specific app on one screws everything up on the other and makes alt-tabbing extremely clunky.

(in reply to Shards)
Post #: 8
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 4:50:58 PM   
diamondspider

Thanks for the tip. This problem, along with it being annoying playing near the bottom edge and the jumping around during AI turns are my only real QoL issues so far.

I also suspect that the AI does cheat more than the manual says, as I just tried a long siege of a city with all buildings bombed out and they held on for about 10 turns without any sign of supply problems.

Still an absolutely terrific game and will be better without the super slow scrolling.

(in reply to Shards)
Post #: 9
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 5:00:21 PM   
Crimguy

I just installed the beta and am now running 4K with 200% scaling. Seems to do the trick.

At least there’s a solution. I essentially gave up on distant worlds due to UI scaling problem.

(in reply to diamondspider)
Post #: 10
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 6:21:11 PM   
Kaiji

After further testing I figured out that the scrolling delay doesn't occur using 125% Windows DPI scaling , so I enabled that in ShadowEmpire.exe [Right click>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior">Select "System (Enhanced)"], changed windows.txt to read ...

dpi_by_windows=on
windowed_mode=on
windowed_mode_w=2048
windowed_mode_h=1152

... and used Borderless Gaming to make it fullscreen. The only downside is no edge-scrolling, but I can live with that. Hopefully a middle-click drag-scroll feature will be implemented a la Dominions and many other strategy games.

EDIT: This will only work if you have already have Windows scaling enabled on that monitor in Windows settings.

< Message edited by Kaiji -- 6/8/2020 6:23:49 PM >

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 11
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 6:36:32 PM   
Majick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaiji

I installed it immediately after installing the game since I was aware it was an issue.

Where are you gents getting the beta update from?

(in reply to Kaiji)
Post #: 12
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 7:21:41 PM   
Kaiji

quote:

ORIGINAL: Majick

quote:

Look in "Shadow Empire Open Beta Versions" at the top of the Shadow Empire forum. I can't post the link because I haven't posted enough yet. :3

(in reply to Majick)
Post #: 13
RE: Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrol... - 6/8/2020 8:38:22 PM   
Majick

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Majick

quote:

Look in "Shadow Empire Open Beta Versions" at the top of the Shadow Empire forum. I can't post the link because I haven't posted enough yet. :3

Ah yes, thanks v much

(in reply to Kaiji)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Will UI scaling be further improved? (glacial scrolling) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI