Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1 Building per Hex

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> 1 Building per Hex Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1 Building per Hex - 6/11/2020 6:20:21 PM   
FlashXAron_slith

... as the map looks really deserted and somehow meaningless ...
resources and one other building are allowed per hex.

Would be cool to build any buildings outside, so you see what you have and it is more strategic, as you have to defend them ...
So any building which is connected to the center belongs to that city.

So a big city with 25 different buildings needs 25hexes ...
gameplay wouldn't change apart that there are CITY HEXES (connected to the center through other city hexes) and OUTDOOR hexes ...

THX

OT
OLD WORLD uses somehow that, graphics there are great but gameplay dumbed down that a braindead could play it LOL
maybe VIC should work with their graphic team and show them, how an intresting gameplay should be !

< Message edited by FlashXAron_slith -- 6/11/2020 6:23:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/11/2020 7:52:07 PM   
zgrssd

1 Hex is 200km²
Earth is only 200 Hexes. And of those 70% would be water too.

So that 25 hex city would cover 25/60 or 5/12th of the planet surface.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/11/2020 7:54:03 PM >

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/11/2020 7:58:47 PM   
zgrssd

Actually, I got it wrong:
Earth is ~200 hexes
Earth surface is 510,072,000 km2, land and water.

So 1 hex would be about 2,550,360 km2.

If he meant only the land being ~200 Hexes:
148,940,000 km2, the eaqch hex is only 744,700 km2. I need to dig a bit to figure out how to get other measurements out of a hex.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/11/2020 8:01:52 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/12/2020 1:10:08 AM   
Axeking

1 hex = 200km (not square km) - so approximating as a distance of 200 km from flat side to opposite flat side gives about 34,500 km^2

Earth total is 510,000,000 km^2

Land is approx 29% = 148,000,000
so in hexes = about 4,300

In a more relatable size: One hex is about the same area as Belgium (the entire country, the hex is actually about 10% bigger)...

Still makes sense for 1 structure per hex? I don't think so...

< Message edited by Axeking -- 6/12/2020 1:22:47 AM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/12/2020 1:36:28 AM   
Malevolence

We all have different tastes.

I really (really!) like how the hex tiles slowly mutate as your city hex grows. It's great to see fields and other textures come out organically.

I personally disagree a restrictive rule that the player can only put one building per hex. That said, I prefer games with positive and negative feedback loops instead of hard and fast rules.

I do think a simpler way to expand a metropolis would be interesting, so that you could expand cities into adjacent hexes.

These are just my opinions. A lot of players like one unit per hex too. I personally don't like that rule. I do like stacking penalties, however.

Just my opinion.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/12/2020 1:43:08 AM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Axeking)
Post #: 5
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/12/2020 11:00:16 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

We all have different tastes.

I really (really!) like how the hex tiles slowly mutate as your city hex grows. It's great to see fields and other textures come out organically.

I personally disagree a restrictive rule that the player can only put one building per hex. That said, I prefer games with positive and negative feedback loops instead of hard and fast rules.

I do think a simpler way to expand a metropolis would be interesting, so that you could expand cities into adjacent hexes.

These are just my opinions. A lot of players like one unit per hex too. I personally don't like that rule. I do like stacking penalties, however.

Just my opinion.

We could maybe have some house graphics for Satelite Cities. But even that would be a stretch given the mindboggling scale of the game.

Again, that "growing city" would have a Urban area bigger then Belgium. You know, a Sovereign country of 11 Million people.
We do not have 11 Million people total on most shadow empire planets. And at 374/km2 Belgium is not even densly setelled, on avearge.

Chongping in China is 82,403 km2 a solid 2 hexes. 30,484,300 People live there, 370 people/km2
Again, a pretty "rural" population denstity.

Once your population density goes into the thousdands/km2, we can seriously call it a city.
London: 5,666/km2
New York: 10,715/km2
Washington, DC: 4,442/km2
New Dehli: 6,000/km2

The original planet generation, may leave you a few 2-3 hexes sized ruins.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/12/2020 11:02:05 AM >

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 6
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/12/2020 1:54:33 PM   
Malevolence

The scale of the hexes and the time period of each turn is something I ignore in this game. The entire design falls apart. Had anyone asked me, I would have suggested not mentioning those numbers at all. Distance is hex and time is turn.

It's like asking for a explanation of a space game's FTL, real time communication, and artificial gravity.

It's all handwavium.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/12/2020 1:56:22 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/12/2020 2:12:59 PM   
Jdane

Agreed. The stated time, space, and population scales are just compromises, as VR explained in the manual. This is more abstraction than reality, and I'm fine with it as long as the result entertains and engages me, which it does.

As for the OP, I think a 1 asset per hex limit would be too constraining, but that's just me.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/12/2020 2:13:53 PM >

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 8
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/12/2020 3:15:51 PM   
zgrssd

I did some more math. It does not add up in any direction:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4830142

But I guess a short diagonal of 200km is not a bad thing to think about.
There is a number of cities with their satelite city networks, that fit into a single hex easily.
There is close to 100 countries that would trivially fit into 1 hex.

So at least for me, forcing any limit of buildings/hex would be immersion shattering.
Maybe with thinks that go into terraforming like a SMAC style Geothermal Borehole, but that is about it.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 9
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/12/2020 6:44:38 PM   
GodwinW

I am happy with the way it is. Cities with multiple buildings in them (in the one core hex) are good. It makes you hesitate to bombard them too much or you'll only conquer rubble. And that's just 1 reason.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 10
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/13/2020 3:42:40 PM   
Bremen

I don't mind cities being collections of city buildings, but today I was thinking... what if solar power was limited to T1? Then if you wanted to power everything off solar you'd need to spread it out, probably along existing roads for the logistics.

Other buildings that might fit for this would be open air farms/agridomes, wind traps, and maybe the various soil extraction buildings (though currently those can only be built in cities). That would turn the terrain itself into a resource to be exploited, like in Civ games, instead of large empty spaces.

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 11
RE: 1 Building per Hex - 6/13/2020 4:25:44 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bremen

I don't mind cities being collections of city buildings, but today I was thinking... what if solar power was limited to T1? Then if you wanted to power everything off solar you'd need to spread it out, probably along existing roads for the logistics.

Other buildings that might fit for this would be open air farms/agridomes, wind traps, and maybe the various soil extraction buildings (though currently those can only be built in cities). That would turn the terrain itself into a resource to be exploited, like in Civ games, instead of large empty spaces.

Open Air farms already do spread out. They spread the "Agricultural" terrain type into adjacent hexes, increasing production ever so slightly.
But we are talking about something that needs so much land, is has a special unit (hectare) and land measurement/management was basically invented for it. So I am unsure how well it would apply to every other industry.

(in reply to Bremen)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> 1 Building per Hex Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI