Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How's the AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> How's the AI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How's the AI? - 6/10/2020 12:32:13 PM   
Pfand

I know you're going to say "just play other people, do PBEM." And I may, at some point. But I wanted to ask, how is the AI in comparison to say, Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe? Does the AI invade Italy, does it do D-Day in some form? Does the AI pose any sort of challenge for a new player familiar with wargaming and WWII?

This is a title I am interested in. Trying to find out some things before I lay down the money though. The AI is a consideration for me here.
Post #: 1
RE: How's the AI? - 6/10/2020 3:50:36 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Some people have posted reviews on steam that the A.I. is good, others that the A.I. sucks. What I can tell you is that no A.I. can beat a human.
I am not the premier super wargamer some are but on my 1st game of SC3 I held off the Germans in France till 1941 as the Allies. Yet I thought the A.I. was good. This was at historical levels.

The Axis A.I. has 2 main different strategies and a few sneaky minor ones if you do foolish things.
The Allies react to the Axis, invade, attack, and do their thing.

There are 11 difficulty levels and 5 supply levels. Players have said setting the difficulties at +3, +3 makes a good challenge.

Some comments where that the A.I. does well tactically but has trouble handling strategic decisions which is a problem in these types of games.

If I had to judge on a programmer level vs SC3 I'd say they are pretty close. I'd still give SC3 the advantage because Hubert has worked on his A.I. for over a decade while mine is just 1 year old.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Pfand)
Post #: 2
RE: How's the AI? - 6/12/2020 12:21:32 AM   
Pfand

Thank you for the reply! I did some follow up research and really liked what I saw. I took the plunge and bought straight from Matrix. Been playing around with the main (1939) campaign, reading the manual, etc. etc. really like it so far!

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 3
RE: How's the AI? - 6/12/2020 10:48:41 PM   
Richard III

The AI, which I`m a spokesman for is as good as any out there, and better then most. It will actually counterattack, and attack where your weak ( I`ve lost Armor Corps in France by pushing too hard ) and several Inf. Corps in Russia.

In Russia in `42 it will a actually attempt to attack to open supply hexs to cut off units. In France it will pull back to form a front, and when it "sees" you are about to break through it will mass units near Paris. All in all a good AI gaming experience, worth many hours of play. and IMO aa great value for money.

PS; and a very polished interface.

“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy

(in reply to Pfand)
Post #: 4
RE: How's the AI? - 6/12/2020 11:01:27 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Glad you guys like it.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> How's the AI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI