Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Administrative Strain

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Administrative Strain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Administrative Strain - 6/11/2020 9:48:45 PM   
ramnblam

Just a couple of questions involving administrative strain, does the penalty apply to the whole zone or just the asset/s outside of the 6 hex radius?

Do you guys think it's worth building alot of new cities and then having to produce all the buildings the people want or just eat the penalty up to a certain point?
Post #: 1
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/11/2020 9:52:26 PM   
t1it

5.3.4 in the manual gives a good breakdwon what it is and how to combat it- so yes build a new city if there's several assets or resources nearby and or the penalty (to governor bonus) is greater than 10%. You want new cities anyways, more bureaucracy points and manpower, as long as you can feed them.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 2
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/11/2020 10:07:05 PM   
ramnblam

Is there any way of seeing which assets in a zone are creating administrative strain, without manual counting the hexes away from a city?

(in reply to t1it)
Post #: 3
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/11/2020 10:28:56 PM   
t1it

I don't think so. But it's not hard to see which are >=6 hexes away. Generally, a 1-2 within 10 hexes is no issue. You may sometimes extend the area of another zone that's closer to those assets instead of creating a new city.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 4
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/11/2020 11:26:38 PM   
GodwinW

That and please also a way to see administrative strain in some report somewhere (or maybe there is and my 1 7 or 8 hex away fuel extractor doesn't create it).

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 5
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/12/2020 2:14:32 AM   
Vormithrax

Select the Zone Bottom Tab, then click the top middle button (Zone Admin Mode) in the group of nine buttons/filters. The info box to the left of that section now lists the Admin Strain that zone is experiencing. Once you have those options selected just use the Quick Zone Bar on the middle left of the screen to quickly pick each zone in your Empire and see what the Admin Strain is for each.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 6
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/12/2020 9:31:07 AM   
GodwinW

Thanks!

(in reply to Vormithrax)
Post #: 7
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/12/2020 9:42:18 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: ramnblam

Just a couple of questions involving administrative strain, does the penalty apply to the whole zone or just the asset/s outside of the 6 hex radius?

Do you guys think it's worth building alot of new cities and then having to produce all the buildings the people want or just eat the penalty up to a certain point?

A Alot made of new cities? Now that is a wierd picture

If it is only 1-2 buildings not to far away - especially temporary ones like mines - you can propably just eat the penalty.
Just increasing the level of assets in the city - including private ones - and not upgrading the outside thing works.

If it is farther, you know there are more (like a cluster of 3 ruins) or it is permanent (like a Wind trap, Volcano Generator, a farm spot you are lucky to have) you propably want to put down a city.
You want to have a few cities anyway. Cities are your power. I try keep ~8-12 hexes between them, so their "Admin strain free zone" do not overlap too much, but otherwise: Get some settlers. And go settle.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 8
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/12/2020 9:58:10 AM   
Laiders

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

That and please also a way to see administrative strain in some report somewhere (or maybe there is and my 1 7 or 8 hex away fuel extractor doesn't create it).

It likely doesn't generate a significant amount. You can see the exact formula in the manual (and below as it happens) but in essence admin stress is calculated as the weight of assets outside 6 hexes divided by the weight of assets inside 6 hexes. Distance is a scaling factor worked out as (distance-6)/6. At 6 you get 0 which wipes the formula, at 7 you get .16 recurring so assets inside the 6 will massively outweigh hexes outside 6. At 20 hexes, you get 2.3 recurring so the asset outside of 6 counts 2.3 times over those inside 6.

Here I've sort of made it seem likes assets are compared 1 to 1 but in fact all assets are compared together. I'm not sure exactly how. Maybe admin strain is calculated for all assets and then added, maybe it's the average value or maybe it is calculated at once with an average distance value plugged into the formula.

Full formula is:

For Each Asset Beyond Distance (((Distance-6)/6) * Asset level * production%) / (All Other Assets * Asset Level * production%). Administrative Strain is maximum 100%.

Huh.. answered my own question copying it from the manual again. 'For each asset' so it is calculated by asset and then presumably added up or averaged. Oh and private assets get count half. Don't know exactly what Vic means by this as assets in the formulas twice, both for asset level and their percentage production. I presume it means private asset levels count half. Would be nice to know if that is exactly half or rounded. A level 3 asset is 1.5 or 1 if private?

Anyway the upshot is a couple of low-level assets 7-9 hexes away from a developed city are unlikely to be a problem. Build a bridging truck station about 20 hexes from the nearest city because you don't know admin strain is a thing will gradually become a problem. Doing a one-city run and trying to run everything off a single city would be very tricky, as your super-zone would soon end up effectively governorless.

Final quirk to note is that if the maths works out such that your actual admin strain is higher than the percentage currently applied to your zone, it will increase but only up to 10% at once. Admin strain will always seep in slowly even if you are generating a massive amount of it and it also only takes effect in decile blocks. 9% is a warning and 19% is still only a 10% penalty to all your governor bonuses and rolls.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 9
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/12/2020 10:25:36 AM   
Naselus

It'd be very nice to have a 'settler mapmode' overlay to show what's within 6 tiles of an existing city tho. The advantages of maximizing city spam (more industry, more BP) massively outweigh the disadvantages, particularly since Free Market and the various private investment strategems can stand up good QOL in a new zone very quickly.

(in reply to Laiders)
Post #: 10
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/12/2020 10:49:26 AM   
Laiders

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naselus

It'd be very nice to have a 'settler mapmode' overlay to show what's within 6 tiles of an existing city tho. The advantages of maximizing city spam (more industry, more BP) massively outweigh the disadvantages, particularly since Free Market and the various private investment strategems can stand up good QOL in a new zone very quickly.

Umm... I'm not convinced you pull off urban sprawl in this game because there is a massive disadvantage, namely dilution of population and population growth. Population is really your most precious resource and it is scarce after the apocalypse. Each step up in asset level is a pretty huge increase and asset levels require pops to unlock and pops to staff. Higher level assets are also more efficient.

Take BP office 1 vs 2:

BP office 1 takes 10 energy and 2000 workers to produce 50 BP

BP office 2 takes 40 energy and 6400 workers to produce 200 BP

You get a 4-fold increase in energy cost to produce 4-fold more BP no advantage. However, the worker cost only went up by 3.2. Higher levels get more efficient.

L3 takes 12,900 workers and produces 450 BP. You get a nine-fold increase in BP compared to L1 for only 6.5 fold more workers (actually slightly better than that). You even get a small energy saving thrown in.

It is possible that maximising your cities and building only L1 BP or ind in as many as physically possible might manage to edge out the built-in advantage of higher levels but I doubt it. If I can support a L3, you need 9 L1s to match me and you need significantly more population. It would have been better to consolidate that population into a couple of cities and build your own L3 or a couple of L2s.

(in reply to Naselus)
Post #: 11
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/12/2020 10:58:56 AM   
Naselus

In my present game, I have 4 cloning centers and several merc posts and hidden villages, so I'm getting 5k free population per turn. Pop is less of a problem for me than admin strain tbh.

(in reply to Laiders)
Post #: 12
RE: Administrative Strain - 6/12/2020 11:48:58 AM   
GodwinW

Yup read that (a few times) but just hadn't found the location of where to look ingame yet, which was answered.

(in reply to Laiders)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Administrative Strain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI