Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Civ GOTM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Civ GOTM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Civ GOTM - 6/11/2020 11:27:02 PM   
eddieballgame

This, wonderful, game strikes me as a perfect candidate for a 'Civ like' Game of the Month competition.
I am sure, many here (at least us older guys) are familiar & have participated in that format.
That format is different than just sharing generated planet files, as everyone would be subject to the identical game settings, leading up to the screen that allows for creating a 'saved file'.
Thoughts?

< Message edited by eddieballgame -- 6/12/2020 5:40:53 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 12:44:21 AM   
KingHalford

Do it

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 2
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 6:44:51 AM   
Culthrasa

THere is a "last generated planet" save now.. It starts after generation but before naming your empire.. So it is possible to all start with the same planet and still be "The Grand Pohaa" if you want that to be your title :)

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 3
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 8:10:56 AM   
LuciusSulla

Probably should use the first turn save instead of the last generated planet save, unless you allow players to reroll their start.

The same planet save could result in different parties, leaders, cult. Leader potential/ideology could greatly impact the game.

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 4
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 8:21:59 AM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: LuciusSulla

Probably should use the first turn save instead of the last generated planet save, unless you allow players to reroll their start.

The same planet save could result in different parties, leaders, cult. Leader potential/ideology could greatly impact the game.

Yes, 'the 1st turn save' is the format per the 'Civ GOTM'.
This ensures everyone has the identical start.
Of course, in-game 'rng' will differ as the games progress, based on different decisions, movement, etc.

(in reply to LuciusSulla)
Post #: 5
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 9:32:51 AM   
Culthrasa

quote:

But isn't that part of the game itself? The choices you make? Why take away the first big choice a player makes?

(in reply to LuciusSulla)
Post #: 6
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 9:48:23 AM   
GodwinW

Very good idea!
Would love to see how the stories diverge!

Culthrasa, because it's a competition and you want the starting line to be a line, not a random area ;)

< Message edited by GodwinW -- 6/12/2020 9:49:43 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 5:50:18 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culthrasa

quote:

But isn't that part of the game itself? The choices you make? Why take away the first big choice a player makes?

There is nothing wrong with doing it this way, & some might prefer it.
However, in the spirit of the 'GOTM' format, everyone starting with identical leaders & STARTING POSITIONS (this is key) is also a viable way to test everyone's choices as the game progresses.
This, also, makes for sharing each other's stories per their successes & failures more interesting, as all can relate to each other's plights per the identical surroundings at the beginning.

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 8
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 5:54:25 PM   
Jdane

It will probably make more obvious the prevalence of RNG in the course of events, but it sure should be interesting to see nonetheless.

Post #: 9
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 5:58:15 PM   
Culthrasa

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culthrasa

quote:

There is nothing wrong with doing it this way, & some might prefer it.
However, in the spirit of the 'GOTM' format, everyone starting with identical leaders & STARTING POSITIONS (this is key) is also a viable way to test everyone's choices as the game progresses.
This, also, makes for sharing each other's stories per their successes & failures more interesting, as all can relate to each other's plights per the identical surroundings at the beginning.

OKe, fair point :) I haven't tried it but redoing the same planet gives different start locations?

Post #: 10
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 7:16:55 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

OKe, fair point :) I haven't tried it but redoing the same planet gives different start locations?

I am not sure about that; but if it did, then sharing the 'plant file' would work also.
Of course, the initial decisions per your leader would be subject to being different, which is fine.
The most important part is the starting position.

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 11
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/12/2020 10:32:15 PM   
GodwinW

This is such a good idea. What difficulty is it going to be on?
Are you organizing it eddieballgame?

Post #: 12
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/13/2020 2:41:34 AM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

This is such a good idea. What difficulty is it going to be on?
Are you organizing it eddieballgame?

Per the 'difficulty setting', that could be a voters choice or set to beginner to allow everyone a fair & fun experience.
Per the organization of this format, it is possible I could do so.
One question is what to use as the source forum per this.
I suppose the Matrix forum could be the beginning home, if that were allowed.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 13
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/13/2020 3:03:29 AM   
Geezerone

The planet gen save DOES have the same starting location. In fact I believe that all the Regimes and units are already placed as well. I only reloaded the starting save once to see what would change and only my people seems to change (plus your empire name and starting profile groups as you pick those too). Also, be aware the game version number is fixed in the save too; so with all the changes happening many of the "need to restart to apply" fixes/changes will not be included if the save file is too old.

Post #: 14
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/13/2020 3:21:17 AM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Geezerone

The planet gen save DOES have the same starting location. In fact I believe that all the Regimes and units are already placed as well. I only reloaded the starting save once to see what would change and only my people seems to change (plus your empire name and starting profile groups as you pick those too). Also, be aware the game version number is fixed in the save too; so with all the changes happening many of the "need to restart to apply" fixes/changes will not be included if the save file is too old.

Thanks for verifying the 'start positions are the same' query.
I, also, checked via multiple loads & that does appear to be the case.

(in reply to Geezerone)
Post #: 15
RE: Civ GOTM - 6/13/2020 12:48:19 PM   
Geezerone

When you decide to start this GOTM session, I suggest providing a screen capture of the planet generation summary page. Also, if there is life on this world a screen capture of the Biosphere Auxiliary page that shows the stats of the various plants and animals (particularly the "s", "o", and "d" stats) as this info does not seem to be included in the in-game help tab summary.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Civ GOTM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI