Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hive Worlds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Hive Worlds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hive Worlds - 6/15/2020 10:21:55 AM   
murxus

Now apparently some players succeeded in creating worlds that had pre-apocalypse populations in the billions.

The way to achieve this was by creating a very earth-like planet with very high water supply. Or simplified - an agricultural planet that could self-sustain such a population.

But with intergalactic trade - this should not be a prerequisite. Just like Buenos Aires doesn't need to be self-sufficient in food production - neither would a Hive World. It just needs planets in close vicinity that supply the food.

I think it might be worthwhile to decouple the colonization generation from the planet generation a tad (or more than a tad). A planet can become a Hive World regardless of mining or agricultural resources - because it focuses on trade and services, manufacturing, science.

Of course *after* the apocalypse the local available resources regain their importance.

Additionally I like to add - obviously the game has a strong tendency towards dry planets - else one element of the game mechanics (water, ice mining etc.) loses all of its importance. But I don't think this should reduce the scenarios for planet creation that much.

Maybe the importance of water could be changed/reintroduced by clarification: A planet might be water-rich but that water might be unusable for chemical or biological toxins - or simply because of salt.

< Message edited by murxus -- 6/15/2020 10:22:20 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Hive Worlds - 6/15/2020 6:28:19 PM   
Clux

quote:

ORIGINAL: murxus

Now apparently some players succeeded in creating worlds that had pre-apocalypse populations in the billions.

The way to achieve this was by creating a very earth-like planet with very high water supply. Or simplified - an agricultural planet that could self-sustain such a population.

But with intergalactic trade - this should not be a prerequisite. Just like Buenos Aires doesn't need to be self-sufficient in food production - neither would a Hive World. It just needs planets in close vicinity that supply the food.

I think it might be worthwhile to decouple the colonization generation from the planet generation a tad (or more than a tad). A planet can become a Hive World regardless of mining or agricultural resources - because it focuses on trade and services, manufacturing, science.

Of course *after* the apocalypse the local available resources regain their importance.

Additionally I like to add - obviously the game has a strong tendency towards dry planets - else one element of the game mechanics (water, ice mining etc.) loses all of its importance. But I don't think this should reduce the scenarios for planet creation that much.

Maybe the importance of water could be changed/reintroduced by clarification: A planet might be water-rich but that water might be unusable for chemical or biological toxins - or simply because of salt.

Well, the main reason of why we dont have planets with most of the surface being covered by water is than we dont have naval forces, once than we have them, maybe Vic adds a new planet or two which could have massive water bodies than could or not being suitable for life

(in reply to murxus)
Post #: 2
RE: Hive Worlds - 6/15/2020 7:20:38 PM   
Hazard151

I'd be up for sea/water tile resources and assets/cities in water tiles to exploit those resources.

I mean, a hybrid algae-or-kelp/fish farm is pretty efficient.

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 3
RE: Hive Worlds - 6/15/2020 7:32:07 PM   
Hellkyte

I think this is an interesting idea that would add some more dimensionality to the game. The idea of like a barren moon covered in ruins would be pretty interesting.

(in reply to Hazard151)
Post #: 4
RE: Hive Worlds - 6/15/2020 7:38:12 PM   
Kamelpov

I expected a world full of arachnid by the title and wiping AI major turn 5.

(in reply to Hellkyte)
Post #: 5
RE: Hive Worlds - 6/18/2020 9:38:40 AM   
murxus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kamelpov

I expected a world full of arachnid by the title and wiping AI major turn 5.

Well, I was going by the WH40K Hive Worlds with billions often tens of billions of population.

(in reply to Kamelpov)
Post #: 6
RE: Hive Worlds - 6/18/2020 10:51:21 AM   
ramnblam

The game is modeled on the planet being on a somewhat backwater, a non special world that attracted GR interest for whatever reason. If the parameters expand and everything else it depends on continued development >>> financing Vic's hookers and blow fund.

(in reply to murxus)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Hive Worlds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI