Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/20/2020 9:48:13 PM   
demiare

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

So you will not be at the <LINK WAS THERE> launch party?

There is a major difference between Hive Mind with a space ships (even if it's using organic technologies) and native lifeforms. It's quite similar to old Civilization meme of stone age militia killing tank units :) Funny once, not so after some time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

That is what the Australians thought when they send the Army vs Emus. You could kill one really, really hard. But that does not help against the other 99 in his subunit wich then moved away 1-2km. And then came back a hour after you left.
And those groups are more then just 1 subunit.

At their best, the Task Force vs the Emu needed 10 bullets per confirmed killed Emu. And that is a Emu. The only danger was from them eating the fields!

Australians are very bad example here. They lack any notable war experience (while during post-apoc would be plenty of skirmishes), had very poor equipment, lack mobility, had unsuitable commanders and so on.

And you're forgetting to mention that Australian army had retreated not because of high causalities but because of political&economical reasons

Compare this story with wolves & bears - that mostly gonna extinct in highly-populated areas and would definitely extinct if not laws protecting wildlife.

To be clear - I'm not against animals harassing your borders. I'm against that such animals would easily butcher starting infantry militia, at least if you aren't using special game option. Hey, c'mon - how we even able to made our regime if our militia units unable to repel local lifeforms?!

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 31
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 12:44:15 AM   
Arkangilos

I agree that they shouldn’t change borders, but I don’t see these as straight battles against them, rather it is a systematic hunting of them in their layers and such.

I kind of envision some of them being like hives of the worms from tremors where they can pop out at vulnerable spots and such. But in my game they never beat me when they were attacking because then it isn’t a hunt.

It would also be cool if you could get food out of them.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 32
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 1:11:20 AM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkangilos

I agree that they shouldn’t change borders, but I don’t see these as straight battles against them, rather it is a systematic hunting of them in their layers and such.

I kind of envision some of them being like hives of the worms from tremors where they can pop out at vulnerable spots and such. But in my game they never beat me when they were attacking because then it isn’t a hunt.

It would also be cool if you could get food out of them.

Damn that's a good imagination. It would be nice to have these lairs instead of cities in non-aligned zones. Maybe they give a hex perk to luxury goods--eggs, or honey or something.

Would you add that to the Hunting! suggestion here the way you see it?

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/21/2020 1:13:07 AM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Arkangilos)
Post #: 33
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 2:59:12 AM   
diamondspider

quote:

As an aside, having watched Spy Eye In The Sky now for many turns. They rarely, if ever penetrate, into AI controlled territory on their own.

I've seen the same for minors vs. majors. My current game I am playing at the juncture of my own territory and 3 other majors, with strips of minors between each. The minors ALL constantly invade my territory as much as possible, but I can see that they never, ever, do that to the other majors. The majors can focus on just me (unless they are invading a minor), while I must either put troops all along the minor borders, or get a peace with them (and here by "all" I mean every single hex).

So when the manual says that the majors play by the same rules as you, this is not to say that any of their enemies play by the same rules vs. you and vs. them.

< Message edited by diamondspider -- 6/21/2020 3:02:21 AM >

Post #: 34
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 3:49:30 AM   
KingHalford

They're supposed to be aliens, they could be more powerful than anything we could possibly imagine. It's also quite easy to turn them off, just don't generate a planet with them on.

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to diamondspider)
Post #: 35
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 5:02:17 AM   
diamondspider

I've never seen anything except arachnids because I like to play on realistic worlds (no life except majors, minors, and arachnids). So this has never been an issue for me. Arachnids die easily to tier 2 troops.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 36
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 3:53:55 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingHalford
They're supposed to be aliens, they could be more powerful than anything we could possibly imagine. It's also quite easy to turn them off, just don't generate a planet with them on.

I've been playing on earth-like planets, so while I suppose they could be "more powerful than anything we could possibly imagine", they could also be just like they are described--giant shrimp, etc. In any event, I doubt that every earth-like planet (like in my experience) would generate swarms of creatures which are not frightened off by gunfire, impervious to bullets, which attack and kill your troops, and which convert your territory as they pass through.

I also don't agree that "it is quite easy to turn them off"--I like to play on earth-like planets, and every one has had large numbers of several types of these creatures.

I agree with other posters that while I like having these creatures, they should be a nuisance, not something that simply cannot be defeated by early-game armed forces. If there would be very rare, more powerful "godzilla" type creatures, so be it, but not swarms of them.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 37
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 5:54:14 PM   
Tchey

Wildlife could have territory, from 1 to 5 hex maybe, and completely ignore player and other factions as long as they don’t venture into the territory.
The they could attack, flea, hide...
Also some could migrate, moving north/south by 1 hex every few turns.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 38
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 6:07:37 PM   
Malevolence

I think Arkangilos' idea of lairs that spawn beasts is superb.

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 39
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 6:09:18 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tchey

Wildlife could have territory, from 1 to 5 hex maybe, and completely ignore player and other factions as long as they don’t venture into the territory.
The they could attack, flea, hide...

Zone borders create a number of headaches due to how zones work with other features.

Re-calculating zones, where news zones are spawned, creates a number of issues with reports, spies, etc.

The less the game re-defines zones the better IMO.

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 40
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 6:27:03 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tchey

I think migrations would be really cool, as long is it was possible to kill the migrating horde of creatures, or at least divert their migration.

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 41
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/21/2020 8:11:04 PM   
Tchey

What about a nestAlpha spawning creating up to XX units of an animal.
A nestBeta is produced a well several hex away.
When XX is reached, the animals move to nestBeta in a pack.

When all nestAlpha are produced, nestBeta becomes the Alpha and produce up to XX new units.
So for each successful migration, the number of animals increase, but if player (or AI) act and destroy the nest, byebye wildlife.

< Message edited by Tchey -- 6/21/2020 8:12:19 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 42
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/22/2020 1:36:14 PM   
GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence
The less the game re-defines zones the better IMO.

Agreed, it's good the way it is. As I wrote in the other thread:

I see borders more as 'this is my region where I can guarantee safety in' and not as a delineated border on a map I actually change every round. Only when I agree on a border with someone does it come to act like one.
So I see it as 'I don't have control/supremacy of that hex anymore. And I don't. Say a private asset is being build on the other end of the stampede of animals. Since they're so dangerous no one will expect the workers to travel through them. So since it signifies control, workers, logistics (truck drivers), it makes sense it's this way.

Think about it, suppose you have a huge army sitting somewhere you don't have recon on it, no borders have changed because they're animals, but your logistics collapses. How should the game inform you about that then? The borders make this clear: something is cutting of supplies along that road.

And then Recon comes into play: you don't know where they are, whether they're gone, whether they're animals or enemy forces.
You only know something passed by so it's probably dangerous there (so civilians (logistics) don't go there) and now you're not sure if it's safe again until you get recon on those hexes.

It works well the way it does.

Post #: 43
RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures - 6/22/2020 7:16:55 PM   
wodin

Me too. Very tiresome and unrealistic when dealing with herbivores

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Really getting tired of impervious creatures Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI