Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/24/2020 11:32:13 PM   
FAA

I’ve played 6 different campaigns on huge planets and despite the vastness and all the territories that are up for grabs, AI remained very passive. It usually controls at most about 15% of the planet by turn 180, despite bordering large wild areas. I can understand not going to war against minors, but unclaimed territory that’s literally up for grabs? It makes the late game way too easy.

As I’m playing with low pops, about 2 mil on less per huge planet, there‘s a lot of empty space that AI could grab with relative ease.

< Message edited by FAA -- 6/24/2020 11:35:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 12:00:28 AM   
Leslac

Beta 10 - I've also seen four major ai cities in the same game with only one square distance to minor or unincorporated zones. There really should be some sort of urgency to expand at least three squares out in all directions from any city.

Also I'm not sure the ai bothers to build new cities at all.

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 2
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 5:32:06 AM   
Gozzon

Are there animals or anything like that in the map? I've noticed that wild life can make AI's life miserable and really hamper their expansion until quite late in the game.

Also what difficulty setting are you playing on?

(in reply to Leslac)
Post #: 3
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 6:57:57 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAA

I’ve played 6 different campaigns on huge planets and despite the vastness and all the territories that are up for grabs, AI remained very passive. It usually controls at most about 15% of the planet by turn 180, despite bordering large wild areas. I can understand not going to war against minors, but unclaimed territory that’s literally up for grabs? It makes the late game way too easy.

As I’m playing with low pops, about 2 mil on less per huge planet, there‘s a lot of empty space that AI could grab with relative ease.

Terrain without a existing city, is not valuable.
It contains very few population, a lot of hostiles and any resoruces there would cause admin strain unless you create a new city there.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/25/2020 6:58:26 AM >

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 4
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 8:52:26 AM   
FAA

I have spies in wild areas they missed - while there are no free folk there, there are ruins which should be essential to capture for a regime that doesn’t have any metal mines (metal is scarce), some ancient structures, brothels etc. Just twenty tiles east are ruins I recently captured - 8 hexes full of stuff, which is the largest cluster on the planet. That would have solved problems for any of the two majors in the area, but neither expands in that direction. There is no native wildlife on the planet, as is usual for me so this is not what is stopping the majors in my playthrough.

It’s turn 190 by now. They had a lot of time.

< Message edited by FAA -- 6/25/2020 8:54:23 AM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 8:59:50 AM   
FAA

Just noticed that of three major regimes left in my game, all having huge wild areas next to them, one occupies 16% of the planet, one 10% and one 6%. I know they all have limited resources, particularly metal, but that’s the point - explore, prospect, scavenge. You’ll get nowhere not moving.

< Message edited by FAA -- 6/25/2020 9:00:29 AM >

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 6
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 9:07:55 AM   
ZiggyMaca

Well, I am playing my first real attempt, and I have partial FOW, and there is nothing not claimed by the three remaining major powers. One of the powers has half the map, and has large stretches of barren plains it crossed (to get to me?) I am around turn 100. This is on beginner, small map, very little wildlife. Latest beta patch. So I am not seeing this effect, but maybe it's something to do with my settings?

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 7
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 9:41:14 AM   
Ekaton

I wonder if that's a resource issue. Economy reports of other powers indicate that one of them has just one metal mine, another one has none. They don't have recycling facilities. I have fog of war on, but spies in many areas, so I can see that they have free folk, ruins, and geysers relatively close to their borders. I own 36% of the planet and only found about 6 or so metal deposits, in addition to a dozen or so ruins. Majors that don't claim territories that are relatively easy to take, won't find enough resources.

< Message edited by Ekaton -- 6/25/2020 9:42:02 AM >

I need ten females for each male...

(in reply to ZiggyMaca)
Post #: 8
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 9:44:16 AM   
ramnblam

Remember not all AI majors are expansionist militarist due to the nature of the games RNG. In my first game, the majors next to me were complete push overs and I pushed to victory within 40 turns, the game after, swooping in a destroying my two major neighbours who were warring with eachother, I still had two major rivals one having more territory and population than me at 100 turns in (epic game speed).

(in reply to ZiggyMaca)
Post #: 9
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 10:03:16 AM   
FAA

It’s a matter of basic survival if resources are scarce on a planet, and they often are. Even if you can’t hold everything, you still want more land so you can potentially build mines there, or ruins to scavenge. If your planet has low population, free folks are worth their weight in gold. Either way, we already have minors who don’t expand, we don’t need majors to do the same.

Funny enough, I have yet to see a militarist regime survive long enough to be a meaningful power.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 10
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 11:14:34 AM   
Ekaton

Something that might help quantify the issue. Here are some economy reports regarding some of my competitors on a low-resource planet:

Despite having decently large economies, they have hardly any resources and it's a miracle how they can sustain these industries. The second one used to have two recycling facilities but they dried out. They both had a lot of room to expand, which Rodez did but Sanserra did not. They occupy 13.5% and 6.4% of the planet, respectively, and have 10.4% and 12.3% of the population.

What might help, is to make the AI more eager to look for ruins if metal isn't available otherwise.

< Message edited by Ekaton -- 6/25/2020 11:18:03 AM >

I need ten females for each male...

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 11
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 12:25:30 PM   
Vic

If the game was started with a pre 103 version that might explain. Up to a point. I have done many improvements.

It is however possible that the AI managed to get itself in such trouble it cannot get out of it.

Feel free to send a save game to vic@vrdesigns.net

I'll take a look.

Make sure to put a link to this thread in the email. So I know where to report back about whats going on.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 12
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/25/2020 1:18:15 PM   
Leslac

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gozzon

Are there animals or anything like that in the map? I've noticed that wild life can make AI's life miserable and really hamper their expansion until quite late in the game.

Also what difficulty setting are you playing on?

One zone was arachnid and the ai seemed to just go turtle around them. Two cities have 1 tile zone around them towards the arachnids. The other was either unincorporated or a mutant zone...
And I¨m playing on noarmal diff.

< Message edited by Leslac -- 6/25/2020 1:19:35 PM >

(in reply to Gozzon)
Post #: 13
RE: AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta - 6/26/2020 9:10:52 PM   
Grotius

Hmm, my enemy AI is theocratic, and it's conquered two-thirds of the globe -- almost everything except me!

(in reply to Leslac)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> AI is way too passive in 1.03 and beta Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI