Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Russian units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian units - 7/4/2020 8:07:19 PM   
jshan

Do people rest routed units, merge them or disband them early in the war?
Post #: 1
RE: Russian units - 7/5/2020 10:05:20 PM   
CapAndGown

Warning: I am not an experienced player. What follows is likely wrong. Nevertheless:

You have the manpower and production capacity to quickly rebuild your rifle divisions. I would not disband those.

Most of you AP points at the start should be used to evacuate AAA units from front line cities that will soon be overrun. You will also need to disband fortified regions in danger of being overrun. These uses will eat up most of your Admin Points.

Tank divisions, OTOH, seem like prime candidates for disbanding, even if they are not currently routed, but only have a TOE of 50%. There is no hope of rebuilding these divisions in a reasonable time frame due to limited production capacity, and having them at 50% or less TOE% makes them extremely brittle, ready to be routed after just one attack. I have come to the conclusion that early tank divisions are only good for one battle before they become combat ineffective. Rather than leave them laying around soaking up equipment, I think it best to disband them to help fill out the few divisions that remain.

(in reply to jshan)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian units - 7/8/2020 7:21:09 PM   
timmyab

I don't disband any combat units in 1941. Routed units are sent to the rear and replacements turned off. When rallied the good units are refitted and returned to the front. The poor ones are kept low toe and are either sent to non critical areas or dig ditches while being trained.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian units - 7/8/2020 7:44:42 PM   
jshan

Thanks, makes sense. Do the routed units ever get thier morale back?

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian units - 7/8/2020 8:36:12 PM   
redrum68

Yes, once they rally they are just normal units again. To increase morale gain, put them on refit 10+ hexes away from the enemy.

(in reply to jshan)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian units - 7/9/2020 12:01:18 AM   
thedoctorking

Never disband any ground units. You can merge them together (waiting until the end of the turn when you have used all your AP's, otherwise there's a significant AP penalty). The unit that disappears during the merge will come back in as a shell in a couple of turns on the east map edge.

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian units - 7/27/2020 10:34:49 AM   
JoeLewis

I have become a fan of cycling one tank or mechanized division in the rear as a reserve unit behind each army. That gives me some defensive bonus with the relatively weak tank units early in the game. Usually, at the start of each turn an army has a few routed and unready units that I pull back to my next defensive line while rotating in reinforcements to soak up the next German attack.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian units - 9/7/2020 2:12:31 PM   
AlexSF

10 hex away fron the enemy is the magic number to remember!

(in reply to JoeLewis)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian units - 9/7/2020 4:40:17 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown
I have come to the conclusion that early tank divisions are only good for one battle before they become combat ineffective. Rather than leave them laying around soaking up equipment, I think it best to disband them to help fill out the few divisions that remain.

No need. They automatically "upgrade" to being tank brigades anyway. And by 1942 you can merge those brigades into Tank corps that you will want. So you gain no advantage by disbanding divisions as they go anyway, but you could be getting rid of something you need for your path to tank corps.

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian units - 9/22/2020 2:58:09 PM   
vilcum

quote:

Most of you AP points at the start should be used to evacuate AAA units from front line cities that will soon be overrun.

do NOT do that, the cost is HORRIBLE in my experience, your AP are a precious commodity.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 10
RE: Russian units - 9/22/2020 3:26:01 PM   
AlexSF

quote:

ORIGINAL: vilcum

quote:

Most of you AP points at the start should be used to evacuate AAA units from front line cities that will soon be overrun.

do NOT do that, the cost is HORRIBLE in my experience, your AP are a precious commodity.

Cost is horrible only if the closest axis unit is more than 5 hex away

(in reply to vilcum)
Post #: 11
RE: Russian units - 10/26/2020 3:35:05 PM   
jshan

Can routed units take advantage of rail movement?

(in reply to AlexSF)
Post #: 12
RE: Russian units - 10/26/2020 3:56:02 PM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: jshan

Can routed units take advantage of rail movement?

no

(in reply to jshan)
Post #: 13
RE: Russian units - 10/26/2020 3:57:13 PM   
jshan

Bummer.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Russian units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI