Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has anybody played with a direct connection?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Has anybody played with a direct connection? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 7/18/2020 4:22:53 PM   
SgtShultz2

Whenever I go to the multiplayer lobby now I only get one red bar or zero bars. I used to get more bars than that, but something happened that so far is unexplained to me. It's Saturday morning and there is nobody in the lobby except for me.

So I thought I'd like to try to play using a direct connection. But the only instructions I get about that are open the 1945 port on my modem. I don't see how simply opening a port is going to make a direct connection to another computer.

I asked this question on the CC Bloody First tech support forum and nobody responded that they have actually played using a direct connection. If anybody has, how exactly did you do it?
Post #: 1
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 7/18/2020 4:53:06 PM   
Divadov

The bars only shows the time that you stay in the room, try to wait some minutes and you will see that the bars will change.

(in reply to SgtShultz2)
Post #: 2
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 7/29/2020 3:28:19 AM   
STIENER

why do you need to play with a direct connection? doesn't the lobby work?

(in reply to Divadov)
Post #: 3
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 7/29/2020 4:29:54 PM   
SteveMcClaire

It is port 1944 that you need to open.

The game automatically attempts a direct connection when a client joins a host. If the host has not opened port 1944 to allow incoming connections the attempt will be blocked by the host's router, firewall, or security software. If the host does open port 1944 and allow incoming connections, then the attempt can succeed.

(in reply to SgtShultz2)
Post #: 4
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 11/13/2020 3:23:15 AM   
WillKnott

direct same LAN connection would never work for me. Direct connection assumes both ips are public addresses it would seem. Behind a NAT which almost all routers do, the local ip is private. Direct connect looks at the public ip and tries to make that connection, but with both hosts under the same firewall its just not going to work. We need an option to supply the direct ip/port combo, then maybe we can get it to connect.

SgtStiener...not everyone has the luxury of a high speed internet connection. In rural areas LTE is the only option. I have an opponent who I visit regularly, we try to play each other, but the lobby play uses our limited and costly cellular bandwidth and we suffer horrible lag and latency. If we were able to play direct connect over the lan side of the connection..we could use the lobby but play locally without the lag. I did some packet catptures and sniffing to see how this connect would work and the lobby will try to use the direct connection based on the public ip. Firewalls wont 'u turn' a packet from/to same ip..it simply doesn't pass the packet.

I posted more on this a while back Direct Multiplayer Connection Post

< Message edited by WillKnott -- 11/13/2020 4:13:27 AM >

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 5
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 11/13/2020 7:36:00 PM   
z1812

Try this. It is called Hamachi and I have used it with great success for online games. https://www.vpn.net/

(in reply to WillKnott)
Post #: 6
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 1/25/2021 6:10:09 PM   
VonVolks

How do you know if Direct Connect is working? I will try and connect via lobby as usual but will it show anything different if it works via CD?

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 7
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 1/25/2021 11:04:19 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

You should see text on the game setup screen which says "Direct Connection" once you are both in.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to VonVolks)
Post #: 8
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 2/24/2021 9:05:47 PM   
WillKnott

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812
Try this. It is called Hamachi and I have used it with great success for online games. https://www.vpn.net/

Im aware of Hamachi..however...I dont want to run the game over the internet if both computers are literally sitting next to each other using a switch in the same room on the same private subnet....hamachi creates a vpn over the internet. In this scenario the internet is still being used and packets travel the same connection. What Im asking is to use a local switch with local ips so the packets dont travel over possibly high latent error prone internet connections which are common when one doesn't live near civilization.

On a good news front, in one of the last patches there was a mention of network improvements. I did get a chance to play a couple of games with my friend out in the country after the latest patch update currently available. We each used our cell phones and tethered our laptops. We did play for an hour or so with 'acceptable' results. Not extensive testing, but the experience was better and we agreed that whatever improvements made in the patch relieved some of our issues. We need to play more to see if its doable long term.

Id love to know if anyone has been able to setup a direct connection with TBF and how they had their network setup. Im simply using a 24 port switch connecting 2 pcs on a local subnet with private ip's. There is a firewall performing NAT to allow connection to a 100mbit internet connection. During a packet capture on both hosts, the traffic talks to a public ip. So, each packet going to the other computer travels out the internet up to the public ip, then back down the same internet to the other computer, then any tcp ack's have to travel the same internet back out and then back. All this stacks up latency. The latency of the internet connection on a 'good day' is around 30ms but I've seen days where the lobby ip is spiking in the 100s at times. All the while, i can ping the other side's local ip at less than 1ms. That is what I think of a 'direct connection' would be great for.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 9
RE: Has anybody played with a direct connection? - 4/9/2021 9:32:31 AM   
Natasha18

Direct connect looks at the public ip and tries to make that connection, but with both hosts under the same firewall its just not going to work.

(in reply to WillKnott)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Has anybody played with a direct connection? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI