Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Feb.11, 1944

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Feb.11, 1944 Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/23/2020 1:05:41 PM   
Bif1961

Talk about a Luke Skywalker - Deathstar torpedo you must have sent it down the exhaust tube.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1981
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/23/2020 1:29:27 PM   
Anachro

A testament to its seaworthiness (somewhat) was that Yamato did not sink immediately, but even fired off a few salvos after her magazine explosion before she sank beneath the waves. My carriers have successfully gotten back towards Ceylon, but have no movement for the next turn and some are in need of small repair. We might bide our time for 3-4 days to refuel, re-arm, and replenish before our next invasion force goes off. Moreover, additional carrier reinforcements are currently on their way, transiting between Australia/Perth and India.

Unfortunately, in this mod Japan gets the option to build like 2-3 additional Yamato-class BBs should she want to. I also think the Shinano in this mod retains its Yamato-class BB designation and is not a carrier. So, at the very least, John will still have BB Musashi and BB Shinano, if not more.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 6/23/2020 1:35:28 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1982
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/23/2020 4:10:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Glad to see you back as well.

Sinking laden troop convoys is my second favorite thing in this game. Sinking laden CVs being the first. Well done liquidating that troop convoy!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1983
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/23/2020 5:20:58 PM   
BBfanboy

It just occurred to me that John shot himself in the foot by putting his carriers in the port hex, cutting their launch ability in half! Little things like that are what make this game so dang dangerous to play when you are tired or distracted.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1984
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/23/2020 8:51:59 PM   
RangerJoe

3 DDs for the Yamato, you should be shouting happy!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1985
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/23/2020 8:59:07 PM   
Anachro

Yes, and during the day bombers put 30-35 500GP bombs onto the stricken BC Ishitaka, which was last seen heavily damaged and, more importantly, heavily burning. The following day (next turn) saw only the DD Fujinami in port, which was promptly sunk. While we have no confirmation that the BC Ishitaka sunk, we did hear various sinking sounds in the night/between phases which could be a number of ships. We suspect the BC did indeed sink, which would confirm the tally of 2xBCs and 1xYamato lost, in addition to 1 and possibly more DDs.

quote:

Morning Air attack on Ramree Island , at 54,48

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K2-A George x 5

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6
B-17F Fortress x 6
B-24D Liberator x 6
B-24D1 Liberator x 6
B-24J Liberator x 37

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 2 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 6 damaged

Japanese Ships
BC Ishitaka, Bomb hits 30, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Fujinami, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Of course, this is not the whole story, in night engagements around Ramree Island, I lost two minor old CLs (an American and Dutch), as well as a 3-4 DDs to put 3 torpedoes into BC Ishitaka, forcing her to seek nearby shelter from heavy damage. Of course, I'll gladly sacrifice a few DDs and CLs as the Allies in return for Japanese BBs and BCs.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 6/23/2020 9:05:47 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1986
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/23/2020 9:37:42 PM   
GetAssista

Good to see you back! This game was exciting before the AAR hiatus

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1987
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/24/2020 2:14:24 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Welcome back! And well played in the Bay of Bengal.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1988
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/24/2020 8:14:56 PM   
Elessar2

Quick question for the curious: does the game (or mod) model the Yamato's defective underwater protection scheme? It would appear that this one data point might indicate that it does. If that is the case I'm not sure I'd spring for the massive things.

< Message edited by Elessar2 -- 6/24/2020 8:15:27 PM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1989
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/24/2020 9:44:55 PM   
Anachro

I don't believe the way the system is designed allows for such specificity, other than through the categories that apply to all ships: belt armor, deck armor, and tower armor. As you can see below, the Yamato-class is stronger than other Japanese BBs in all three. I should note though, there is a famous PBEM where the Allied player sank the BB Yamato in a similar circumstance using one torpedo to cause a magazine explosion, but that time the doer of the deed was a mere PT boat.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 6/24/2020 9:45:53 PM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 1990
RE: Feb.11, 1944 - 6/24/2020 10:01:24 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I don't believe the way the system is designed allows for such specificity, other than through the categories that apply to all ships: belt armor, deck armor, and tower armor. As you can see below, the Yamato-class is stronger than other Japanese BBs in all three. I should note though, there is a famous PBEM where the Allied player sank the BB Yamato in a similar circumstance using one torpedo to cause a magazine explosion, but that time the doer of the deed was a mere PT boat.

I believe that was Greyjoy in his famous match. Greyjoy was also noted for his unique spelling.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1991
Feb.14, 1944 - 6/29/2020 3:41:16 PM   
Anachro

Feb.14, 1944

Another day, a nice little victory I guess, as well as some favorable land combat results. First, around Guinea I have been extracting forces from forward bases to rear ports/staging sites for future operations. Recently, this has been the 1st Marine Division at Finschhafen. However, as I did this over the past weeks, I also noticed that John had decided to station some sort of surface unit at Rabaul, so I sent a surface force of my own to cover my transports (also covered by numerous LBA). The LBA did its job and lot of Japanese LBA bombers have been shot down, but last turn I noticed the Japanese surface forces seeminly moving towards Finschhafen. Lucky for me, as I had transports sitting in port there preparing to move out the last half of the 1st Marine Division. Upon noticing this, I promptly disbanded the transports and sent the surface units back to Finschhafen (they had been covering other transports that had just left Finschhafen the day previous). The result was a nice little battle which saw the fearsome CL Oi and her many torpedo tubes sunk.

Elsewhere, my retreating Australians at Daly Waters had a nice little defense against John's forces.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1992
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 6/29/2020 3:48:36 PM   
Anachro

Elsewhere in India, at Port Blair, my stifled amphibious invasion held-off the tired defenders as they tried a shock attack to beat down my beleaguered units. This is a big debate for me as it seems John's own forces are exhausted and the reinforcements he planned to bring to finish off the battle were all sunk by my carriers. Initially, as I attempt my next punch I was planning to simultaneously extract my units here, as they are lacking in supply (which was the biggest factor in my failure here). However, I have additional forces prepped for Port Blair and the big debate is do I commit them and additional supply or do I extract and let my units rebuild. Decisions to be made, as John has three exhausted divisions here as well.

Along with my carriers already in the Indian theater, I have additional carriers currently west of the Japanese-held Cocos Islands on their way. This will bring my carrier totals to 13 CVs and 11 CVLs, which another CVL on the way, as well as a smattering of CVEs.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1993
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 6/29/2020 5:21:59 PM   
BBfanboy

You know the worm has turned when a US Sub gets two chances at the same Japanese DD and scores the second time!

Curious about the leader of that CA Australia TF that sank Oi. Can you name the leader and post his stats?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1994
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 6/29/2020 5:37:26 PM   
Anachro

CA Australia damage and captain, as well as commander of the SCTF. In the combat report, Oi was actually officially sunk by CL Columbia.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 6/29/2020 5:38:04 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1995
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 6/29/2020 6:14:18 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

CA Australia damage and captain, as well as commander of the SCTF. In the combat report, Oi was actually officially sunk by CL Columbia.

Thanks - it was the TF leader Scott that I was interested in. His stats are mediocre in my books. It all fits with the ships and their captains having good leaders (accurate shooting during the battle, and presumably dodging long lances) while the Japanese TF got away after the most damaged cripple was abandoned. That Allied TF had the punch to sink them all but the low aggression of the TF leader probably made him too cautious.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1996
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 6/29/2020 8:38:24 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I have additional forces prepped for Port Blair and the big debate is do I commit them and additional supply or do I extract and let my units rebuild. Decisions to be made, as John has three exhausted divisions here as well.

Your efforts here have led to the imprisonment of 3 Japanese divisions and the destruction, the destruction of another at sea and many enemy ships, including some tasty tasty capital ships. Your troops ashore have done yoeman's work in holding the enemy to a fixed point and bleeding him. IMO, this is more important than crummy 'ole Port Blair ever will be, particularly since you've got some of the Andamans.

Extract and rebuild your LCUs. Seal off Port Blair. Maybe bomb the **** out of it as a forward training base for LBA. Starve 'em out, bomb them into submission and render them inert and ineffective.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1997
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 7/2/2020 5:20:44 PM   
Anachro

Two days have passed, but I've been traveling in real life. I'll give an update on the next turn I receive. I should note, for the past two turns now I've completely forgotten to move the CA Australia TF from Finschhafen. Hopefully this doesn't bite me in the rear end this next turn.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1998
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 7/2/2020 5:50:34 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
quote:

I have additional forces prepped for Port Blair and the big debate is do I commit them and additional supply or do I extract and let my units rebuild. Decisions to be made, as John has three exhausted divisions here as well.

Your efforts here have led to the imprisonment of 3 Japanese divisions and the destruction, the destruction of another at sea and many enemy ships, including some tasty tasty capital ships. Your troops ashore have done yoeman's work in holding the enemy to a fixed point and bleeding him. IMO, this is more important than crummy 'ole Port Blair ever will be, particularly since you've got some of the Andamans.

Extract and rebuild your LCUs. Seal off Port Blair. Maybe bomb the **** out of it as a forward training base for LBA. Starve 'em out, bomb them into submission and render them inert and ineffective.

I'd say faint the continuing pressure and push John to scramble a relief/extract operation. It is pretty hard to say goodbyes to 3 divisions you know. Then you can kick him some more, as well as advance elsewhere

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1999
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 7/2/2020 8:27:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
I'd say faint the continuing pressure

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 2000
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 7/3/2020 2:29:44 AM   
ushakov

quote:

'make a feint so it seems like you're continuing to pressure Port Blair'

At least I think, don't want to speak for GetAssista.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2001
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 7/3/2020 10:01:44 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: ushakov
quote:

quote:

faint

Yeah, English is not my native, sorry. Faint pressure would not persuade John I suppose

(in reply to ushakov)
Post #: 2002
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 7/3/2020 2:09:34 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: ushakov
quote:

quote:

faint

Yeah, English is not my native, sorry. Faint pressure would not persuade John I suppose

It depends on how big you are and if you landed on him after you fainted!
I thought that "a" was just clever maskirovka to hide your feint.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 2003
RE: Feb.14, 1944 - 7/5/2020 1:02:30 PM   
Anachro

Unfortunately, my laptop died, so I will be getting a new one this week. Deliveries might take too long, so might end up just going to my local bestbuy or something. I very much am debating. I think as long as I land more supply and some more troops, I can keep him from wiping out my forces for some time, or at all if I'm successful elsewhere. If I feel it looks more grim, I'll extract.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 7/5/2020 1:03:22 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2004
Feb.25-26, 1944 - Dicey Battles in the Andaman Sea - 7/21/2020 5:29:08 AM   
Anachro

Feb.24-27, 1944 - Dicey Battles in the Andaman Sea

Sorry for the delay in updates, but I got a new PC and then have been busy in real life. The game continues; however, feeling more and more unsettled about the precarious situation at Port Blair (where John managed to quickly bring another division in; Japan seemingly has endless divisions to spare with China settled), I opted to begin my next operation while simultaneously extracting troops from Port Blair. This meant the committal of carriers and they have been a bit ineffective hitting enemy ships in the face of strong Japanese LRCAP providing cover. A strike at Port Blair failed to do much damage and John's additional troops landed with the cost in my planes for me rather high. Over the next few days, we moved back to cover our transports and then back in. Spotting heavy enemy bombers at Tavoy with no CAP cover, our land-based heavy bombers and carrier A/C hit the place and numerous planes have been destroyed on the ground, as well as in the air from Japanese land-based naval attack hitting my carrier CAP. On the 25th, we destroyed ~160 planes on the ground and air, on the 26th, another 100+ planes, but the cost to our own A/C strength, while not calamitous, was not small. Moreover, we didn't do any damage to enemy ships (but I was not expecting them to appear so suddenly at Moulmein, so I had set lots of A/C to strike and decimate the airfields at Tavoy).

Interestingly enough, John was very telegraphed in his emails. Unfortunately, I have been told John likes to play psyops and try to get his opponent to do things through how he words his emails: very boisterous, but certainly not statements to always be accepted as truth of intention. In this case, John seems to have been very much hoping for a strike at my fleet hitting Moulmein. He guessed wrong, but it didn't hurt him too badly.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2005
Feb.27, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. - 7/21/2020 5:46:10 AM   
Anachro

Feb.27, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont.

Seeing the situation of the previous turn; I decide to pull back my forces a few hexes so as not to have my invasion force get hit by SCTFs. For the next turn, I opt to setup my carriers to be in strike range while my SCTFs patrol around. In the ensuing night and day, my SCTFs run into a Japanese cruiser force, but get very poor results though all we lost is a (valuable) DMS. Fortunately, our carriers seem to do well and we can only surmise that 3-4 Japanese CA/CLs have been sunk by air attack. However, our forces are still in a precarious spot and at this junction I am very tempted to retreat and regroup. Instead of hitting the landing beach, I might pull back and send carriers, SCTFs, and empty transports to Port Blair instead to extract my beleaguered divisions there: this seems a bit safer with a better path for retreat. Once I replenish my carriers, I'll probably attempt to land again at my target...and perhaps without worrying about my transports for the next 1-2 turns I can sink some more Japanese surface ships.

What do you think? Or now that I'm here, should I continue on to the invasion beach? John has some powerful SCTFs in the vicinity, BBs, BCs, CBs, even a BB Musashi that was lightly damaged by one sub torpedo. John's before and after email quotes for this latest turn included.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 7/21/2020 5:47:15 AM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2006
RE: Feb.27, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. - 7/21/2020 8:50:23 AM   
Bif1961

Lose lips sink ships?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2007
RE: Feb.27, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. - 7/21/2020 9:18:12 AM   
GetAssista

Do you have enough at Moulmein? Cause you need to concentrate on either PB extraction, or landings.
Or holding the beachhead in PB since it is such a good potential POW camp, that will constantly draw John in. If you have prepared reserves left that is.

Any signs of supply situation in PB? Battleship bombardments do wonders in this department, and I see you using your old battlewagons in surface TFs.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 2008
RE: Feb.27, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. - 7/21/2020 12:04:29 PM   
Bearcat2

Pathetic showing by your Surface TF's for 1944; who were leading these TF's?

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 2009
RE: Feb.27, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. - 7/21/2020 1:39:23 PM   
mind_messing

I'll nit pick if I can be so bold.

Some pointers that I think may help are:

- Split the DMS off into their own separate TF. They're there to sweep mines, not fight in the battle line.

- Split the cruisers off from the BB fleets and into their own separate TF with lots of DD's. One TF for the light cruisers, one for the heavy cruisers. Their role is to ruin the IJN DD and cruiser fleet with lots of light and medium calibre shells.

- What does having the CLAA's in the battle line add that isn't done better by removing them and replacing them with 3 Fletchers? The advantage of this approach is that it will give you two cruiser forces that are reasonably expendable to use in an attrition role to wear away at the IJN forces before any of your big ticket VP ships see combat.

- Gaggles of destroyers to swarm (or even a few two or three ship TF's) to chase down stragglers running back to Singapore.

- Positioning of your carriers - bad spot to pick for them to fight from IMO. Can't run north immediately, can't run east, can run south, but closer to IJ bases. In the IJ position I'd be ramming every ship, sub and plane to the east of Rangoon to catch stragglers and TF's out of position. I'd seek to move south where there's more room to move.

From my own experiences with these kinds of engagements, the side with the most task forces (IOW, uncommitted) that have ammo left at the end of the battle tend to sweep up the side that doesn't. 3 SCTFs will not be enough.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 2010
Page:   <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Feb.11, 1944 Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI