Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/2/2020 7:39:17 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

Well I've just finished the series. I have to say that some of episode 5 is something of a mystery to me as to what happened, but overall I really enjoyed it. Worth watching.

Just got to the end of #2 and am slowly becoming less confused ... so glad I have #5 to look forward to
warspite1

I can't say too much without spoilers - but its just a segment of episode 5 that leaves me none the wiser, even now - but I've just gone with it and it hasn't stopped my enjoyment of the series overall - so stick with it and hopefully you will enjoy it too .

Just finished episode 1 and it's a slow burn but enough to keep me watching.

Best wishes,
Steve

Three episodes in and I honestly can't face watching a fourth. Romance, fantasy, adventure, period drama, whodunnit and, apparently courtroom drama, boys own not so ripping yarn with some Harry Potter thrown in - good grief, it's a mess.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I'm kind of sensing you're possibly not enjoying the series quite as much as I did....

I tried. I really tried.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3571
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/2/2020 7:55:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I've just finished the series. I have to say that some of episode 5 is something of a mystery to me as to what happened, but overall I really enjoyed it. Worth watching.

Just got to the end of #2 and am slowly becoming less confused ... so glad I have #5 to look forward to
warspite1

I can't say too much without spoilers - but its just a segment of episode 5 that leaves me none the wiser, even now - but I've just gone with it and it hasn't stopped my enjoyment of the series overall - so stick with it and hopefully you will enjoy it too .

Best wishes,
Steve

Three episodes in and I honestly can't face watching a fourth. Romance, fantasy, adventure, period drama, whodunnit and, apparently courtroom drama, boys own not so ripping yarn with some Harry Potter thrown in - good grief, it's a mess.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I'm kind of sensing you're possibly not enjoying the series quite as much as I did....

I tried. I really tried.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Did you watch the Salisbury Poisonings?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3572
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/2/2020 9:13:48 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Best wishes,
Steve

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I tried. I really tried.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Did you watch the Salisbury Poisonings?

Not yet. Still winding my way through Life on Mars.

Was thinking of dipping my toes into Cardinal after that.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/2/2020 9:19:31 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3573
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/4/2020 6:32:09 AM   
loki100

Finished the Luminaries, last night. My way of coping with #5 was to concentrate on Anna and the gold and put everything else into a box marked 'I don't have to understand'. Overall enjoyed it, ok the ending was a bit too much of the better people getting nice things and the nastier ones getting nasty things but ...

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3574
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/4/2020 6:38:37 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Finished the Luminaries, last night. My way of coping with #5 was to concentrate on Anna and the gold and put everything else into a box marked 'I don't have to understand'. Overall enjoyed it, ok the ending was a bit too much of the better people getting nice things and the nastier ones getting nasty things but ...
warspite1

Well except for Eva Green being given a wedge of gold when she'd set out to ruin Anna's life and then destroy her later..... the naughty wee trickster didn't deserve that nice little bonus at the end.

Out of curiosity I watched No.5 again - but no I still don't really get a chunk of that episode, but as said previously it did not ruin the show.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3575
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/4/2020 12:05:55 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well except for Eva Green being given a wedge of gold when she'd set out to ruin Anna's life and then destroy her later..... the naughty wee trickster didn't deserve that nice little bonus at the end.

Out of curiosity I watched No.5 again - but no I still don't really get a chunk of that episode, but as said previously it did not ruin the show.

My partner has read the book and she reckoned they took the central focus of the book (that sort of informal trial with the 12 men) and squeezed it in. Since you get none of the reasons why they are interacting in the tv series it just doesn't fit.

so agree, I just accepted I wasn't understanding it and sort of enjoyed the acting and the visual experience

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3576
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/5/2020 9:57:02 AM   
warspite1

I finally got to watch Frozen II. It's okay but compared to Frozen its a very big disappointment. I assumed that they would go to town on this and not make it just another '2' movie. But....

I get the feeling Disney are in a bit of a slump at the moment - Wreck-it Ralph II and Toy Story 4 were not the best quality either. Come on guys and gals, raise your game!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3577
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/9/2020 7:39:40 AM   
shunwick

Have you ever wondered what a photocopier is? For some, that is very difficult legal question.

Verbatim: What Is A Photocopier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3578
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/10/2020 4:02:31 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Have you ever wondered what a photocopier is? For some, that is very difficult legal question.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Are you writing in Chinese or something? What the hell is a 'photocopier'??

When looking at this I assumed the guy knew full well what he was being asked but was purposely being obstructive as possible, but from his final answer it would appear his comments were genuine and he didn't know what a photocopier was but did know what a xerox machine was....

I think if I was the guy asking the question I would have simply taken Mr thicky to the nearest photocopier in the building, put in a piece of paper, pressed copy and then asked him if he had one of these types of machine in his building. If that failed I would have probably chucked him out of the window - taking his smart arse lawyer with him.

Unbelievable.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/10/2020 4:11:11 AM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3579
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/10/2020 5:09:48 AM   
Anachro

quote:

I get the feeling Disney are in a bit of a slump at the moment - Wreck-it Ralph II and Toy Story 4 were not the best quality either.

Oh, so we're just going to avoid the elephant in the room when mentioning names, are we?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3580
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/10/2020 5:19:21 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Are you writing in Chinese or something? What the hell is a 'photocopier'??

When looking at this I assumed the guy knew full well what he was being asked but was purposely being obstructive as possible, but from his final answer it would appear his comments were genuine and he didn't know what a photocopier was but did know what a xerox machine was....

I think if I was the guy asking the question I would have simply taken Mr thicky to the nearest photocopier in the building, put in a piece of paper, pressed copy and then asked him if he had one of these types of machine in his building. If that failed I would have probably chucked him out of the window - taking his smart arse lawyer with him.

Unbelievable.

An American lawyer showed this and remarked that it was a case of over-coaching of a witness by defending council. By the way, did you miss the gas-powered photocopying machine reference? It's easy to miss. And the star of the clip was probably the stenographer.

Also, the clip was wrong. It did go court and the recorders office lost the case.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/10/2020 5:23:03 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3581
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/11/2020 4:23:17 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

quote:

I get the feeling Disney are in a bit of a slump at the moment - Wreck-it Ralph II and Toy Story 4 were not the best quality either.

Oh, so we're just going to avoid the elephant in the room when mentioning names, are we?
warspite1

Que?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 3582
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/11/2020 6:10:47 AM   
loki100

Restarted Buffy ... still superb stuff after all these years

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3583
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/12/2020 9:25:52 AM   
warspite1

For anyone interested in Disney I would recommend watching The Imagineering Story. An absolutely fascinating story in six parts about the twelve Disney parks from Disneyland to Shanghai and the role of the Imagineers in building the attractions that have delighted millions over the last 70 years - the failures as well as the successes.

I had no real wish to see the parks in Shanghai or Tokyo or even California before watching this. But having seen an insight into their development and the attractions, I'd truly love to see them before I drop off this mortal coil.

Garden of the 12 friends in Shanghai

Disneysea Tokyo

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/12/2020 9:31:41 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3584
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/16/2020 8:03:43 PM   
redcoat

I’ve been watching Walking Britain’s Roman Roads on My5. Historian Dan Jones explores the towns, villas, temples, forts and ancient tribes of Roman Britain by following six of the main Roman roads.

The programmes can be watched online on the Channel 5 website:

https://www.channel5.com/show/walking-britains-roman-roads/

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3585
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/19/2020 5:55:25 PM   
warspite1

The Plot Against America

A six-parter that tells the story of an alternative world where Charles Lindbergh runs for president in 1940 - and beats FDR. It then seeks to look at how life in the US, now led by a supposed Nazi sympathiser, changes for Jews living in the country. The story is seen through the eyes of a Jewish family living in Newark N.J.

Sadly this appears to have been a one-off series as it came to a conclusion at the end of its six episodes. It was extremely well done - but could have done with being much longer. The feel of the 1940's appeared authentic, the acting, script and cast were first class.

Is this an accurate portrayal of Lindbergh, Ford, Wheeler et al and could the US have gone down this route post 1940 in an America run by them? I don't know enough to comment on that, but it's an interesting what-if.

As entertainment this series is thoroughly recommended (despite the script writers getting some events of WWII in the wrong order) but I wish it could have been longer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/19/2020 5:57:18 PM >

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 3586
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/21/2020 11:59:21 AM   
nicwb

Just finished the first series of "Zero, Zero, Zero" -all a bit grim - and definitely no good guys at all.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3587
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/25/2020 4:56:48 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ&t=422s

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3588
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/28/2020 8:04:31 PM   
warspite1

The Secret She Keeps

A six-parter available on BBC iplayer. I thoroughly enjoyed it - well as much as anyone can enjoy watching a new-born baby being stolen from his mother. Good acting from Laura Carmichael (of Downton Abbey fame) and a generally strong cast. Worth watching and shunwick will be delighted to hear there is no Mills and Boon moments in sight.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 3589
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 2:26:23 PM   
shunwick

quote:

The Secret She Keeps

A six-parter available on BBC iplayer. I thoroughly enjoyed it - well as much as anyone can enjoy watching a new-born baby being stolen from his mother. Good acting from Laura Carmichael (of Downton Abbey fame) and a generally strong cast. Worth watching and shunwick will be delighted to hear there is no Mills and Boon moments in sight.

Might give a look then. I must admit, it didn't sound particularly enticing when I saw it on iPlayer.

I finished Life on Mars both series 1 and two. Enjoyed watching that again. Tried Ashes to Ashes but have abandoned it two and half episodes in. Yeah, sequels, they rarely live up to the original series.

Currently started watching Fort Salem on BBC iPlayer.

To be honest, not sure what I think of it yet. Only watched the first episode which mainly sets the scene, introduces the characters, and develops enough mysteries to keep people hooked.

However, so far it's been sort of predictable and the Hoo Ha Americanism of it grates with the teenage angst they are going for. Neither of which is done particularly well. We follow the three girl "cell" as they go through basic training for witch soldiers. One of the problems I have is the generic stereotyping of all three of them.

The opening scene though... seriously creepy cool.

This, if I understand it correctly, is an alternate universe where the Salem Witches were actually witches and came to agreement with the US Government to fight their wars for them in exchange for not getting burned at the stake.

Doesn't sound like a particularly good bargain to me since it commits all future witches to be cannon fodder. I think the point is... not cannon fodder but American Soldiers (Hoo Ha) and therefore heroes. Fort Salem is the boot camp for new "recruits" although most young witches don't get any choice in the matter.

Overall, enough to get me to watch a second episode... barely, just. But I'm a sucker for alternate universe stories. Hey, and it has evil lesbian terrorists seducing teenage rebel witches, so yeah...

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/29/2020 2:50:05 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3590
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 2:27:27 PM   
shunwick

Oops... double post.

< Message edited by shunwick -- 7/29/2020 2:28:06 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3591
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 4:52:42 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Angel of Darkness:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8856008/

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3592
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 5:47:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Oops... double post.
warspite1

I must admit I've not seen this. Is it any good?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3593
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 6:44:51 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Oops... double post.
warspite1

It was a bit repetitive.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3594
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 6:47:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oops... double post.
warspite1

It was a bit repetitive.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Yeah I just started looking at it and had an awful feeling of deja vu.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3595
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 7:03:18 PM   
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANTHONY

I watched Anthony (BBC iplayer) and I have to say that was a monumentally sad drama. I mean I wasn't cryin' or nuffin' I just had some dust in my eye.....

This was a story told backwards. The excellent Jimmy McGovern wrote the script that starts with Anthony Walker, a black, church-going, lawyer from Huyton, Liverpool, at the age of 25. For the next 60 minutes episodes of Anthony's life - from 25 to 19 are played from front to back. Amongst the scenes played out are Anthony helping put his friend's life back on track, the birth of his daughter, his marriage, his meeting his future wife, his getting his first job..... but these are all what might have beens, things that Anthony might have experienced.... but they never happened.

For the last 30 minutes we look at Anthony aged 18. The above is make-believe because that year, Anthony was viciously attacked by racist swamp dwelling, knuckle dragging scum and murdered with an ice pick in an unprovoked attack. What a senseless and tragic waste of a young life.

Thought provoking and shocking, I would recommend this to anyone - but have a box of Kleenex to hand.... the dust is bad at this time of year....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/29/2020 7:05:47 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3596
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 7:28:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

.....Hey, and it has evil lesbian terrorists seducing teenage rebel witches, so yeah...

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I hate all that.....

.... but I've just started watching episode 1 as I'm obviously keen to observe the historical context and the treatment of 'would be' witches in the 17th century. How long do I have to wait for the lesbian terrorists? er.. I mean...so I can fast forward that bit.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/29/2020 7:29:57 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3597
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 8:32:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

.....Hey, and it has evil lesbian terrorists seducing teenage rebel witches, so yeah...

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I hate all that.....

.... but I've just started watching episode 1 as I'm obviously keen to observe the historical context and the treatment of 'would be' witches in the 17th century. How long do I have to wait for the lesbian terrorists? er.. I mean...so I can fast forward that bit.

Are you sure that they are Lesbians? I mean, they might be from someplace else . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3598
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 9:53:18 PM   
Anachro

Currently, I am watching the Waco (of Janet Reno fame) mini-series on Netflix. So far, I think it's decent and interesting.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3599
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/29/2020 11:59:49 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I hate all that.....

Are you sure that they are Lesbians? I mean, they might be from someplace else . . .

Not sure if they are an international group or American born and bred. Definitely wearing sensible shoes though.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3600
Page:   <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI