Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WITPAE 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WITPAE 3 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/4/2020 2:40:31 PM   
Anachro

Try closing your steam app through the .exe using ctrl+alt+del or something and then relaunch steam in administrator mode.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 31
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/5/2020 1:29:51 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I used to be big into HOI 1 and 2. The best AARs were ones where the player set a completely ahistorical goal and then set about achieving it. The most famous one as I recall was "Battleships for Bhutan." The objective was to play that country and eventually build a battleship. So, he started as tiny landlocked Bhutan and eventually took a port and then built a battleship. In another one, the guy set a challenge of taking out the USSR with just tactical bombers (i.e. with zero ground combat). He did it. Anyway, the absurd AARs showed how weak the AI was. From Steam reviews, it doesn't sound like the AI in HOI4 is any better.

EDIT: I found Battleships for Bhutan.

Cheers,
CB

< Message edited by CaptBeefheart -- 8/5/2020 2:23:57 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 32
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/5/2020 2:24:41 AM   
JoV

Yeah, I always find it amusing when people criticise the AI in WitP, as the AI in the HoI series, especially the naval AI, is atrocious

For all that, Darkest Hour, especially with mods like World in Flames or Edge of Darkness, can be quite a bit of fun. But you really have to turn off a large part of your brain to enjoy them fully. To make them challenging, they really push the boundaries of believability; the UK with hundreds of motorised divisions etc.

It was the fundamental weakness of those games to provide an experience even approaching the real thing that drove me ultimately to WitP. And not before time too

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 33
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/5/2020 3:13:44 AM   
Anachro

I played HoI2 somewhat, really loved playing HoI3 multiplayer with a human controlling each of the majors: the war would get quite intense; my favorite was playing Italy where we launched Barbarossa only to suffer a slow grinding defeat against the Soviet player. The sense of desperation among the axis players was palpable. A neighbor of mine was really into HoI1 or HoI2, forget which, but he mentioned the Stony Road mod for one of those as being absolute perfection.

(in reply to JoV)
Post #: 34
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/5/2020 3:35:28 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I played HoI2 somewhat, really loved playing HoI3 multiplayer with a human controlling each of the majors: the war would get quite intense; my favorite was playing Italy where we launched Barbarossa only to suffer a slow grinding defeat against the Soviet player. The sense of desperation among the axis players was palpable. A neighbor of mine was really into HoI1 or HoI2, forget which, but he mentioned the Stony Road mod for one of those as being absolute perfection.

Yes, I played the Stony Road mod for HOI2.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 35
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/5/2020 9:32:00 AM   
ladner

I'll admit I purchased HOI IV. It can be a "fun" game, but it is borderline hysterical if you read their own marketing on what the game is advertised to be "Authentic real-time war simulation." So sure battleships for Bhutan. I didn't make up what is in quotes it's straight from heartsofiron4.com.

Lack of realism is why I'm back here. It's been a while.

< Message edited by ladner -- 8/5/2020 9:59:02 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 36
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/5/2020 9:54:10 AM   
ladner

quote:

There are no plans to make a new version and I doubt there ever will be. GG himself said he was crazy to ever make the original. The team required also needs to not just be technically competent, but passionate and knowledgeable of the history. People that fit both those categories are dwindling.

However, for something both incredibly interesting and modern coming our way, look up Task Force Admiral.

I was looking at this as well, Microprose coming back from the dead is an interesting proposition. They made some really good games a long time ago. The better what if would be if Joel, Gary and the boys brought SSI back from the dead.

Read something from the developer that this is purely a 'tactical game'

Visually it looks stunning. Ironic that the developer suggest WiTP AE, so in some respects the original posters post is valid, there isn't a new game of this sort in the pipeline, but there is obviously demand. I've actually reinstalled WiTP to satisfy my own craving. At some point may pick up AE.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ladner -- 8/5/2020 9:57:57 AM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 37
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/5/2020 2:55:44 PM   
Anachro

I have spoken to the developers yes. It seems at first they will plan for tactical side of things because, well, that's the focus of the game and with their budget and manpower all that's realistic for the first volume. They do have plans if there is success to expand upon the initial game and perhaps turn into something that if not WitP by any means will be a little bit more strategic than tactical maneuvering allows. Nonetheless, I am personally excited to take command of a ww2 pacific carrier task force and await it eagerly.

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 38
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/10/2020 1:16:59 AM   
ladner

quote:

I have spoken to the developers yes. It seems at first they will plan for tactical side of things because, well, that's the focus of the game and with their budget and manpower all that's realistic for the first volume. They do have plans if there is success to expand upon the initial game and perhaps turn into something that if not WitP by any means will be a little bit more strategic than tactical maneuvering allows. Nonetheless, I am personally excited to take command of a ww2 pacific carrier task force and await it eagerly.

That is great that you have been in contact with the developers. The game looks visually stunning.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 39
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/16/2020 9:24:06 PM   
bighinvegas

I would gladly settle for a refresh of the game that ran in Windows 10 without having to manipulate things to get it running. There was a time that "Can't get control of the screen" was dangerous to my blood pressure.

Having subs target the largest ship in front of them would be nice too. US subs and commanders used tonnage sunk as a waty to keep score.

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 40
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/16/2020 9:53:19 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: bighinvegas

I would gladly settle for a refresh of the game that ran in Windows 10 without having to manipulate things to get it running. There was a time that "Can't get control of the screen" was dangerous to my blood pressure.

Having subs target the largest ship in front of them would be nice too. US subs and commanders used tonnage sunk as a waty to keep score.

Well, look at all of the video cards that came out since the game was introduced. The processors as well.

Subs would not always target the largest ship in front of them, they would target the ship that they were best positioned to attack.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to bighinvegas)
Post #: 41
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/17/2020 12:14:52 AM   
fcooke

Darter and Dace for example. They out some CAs rather than trying to get to the BBs. Although there is a case to be made that IJN CAs were more dangerous than their BBs.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 42
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/17/2020 2:50:13 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

No kidding. Seeing how games have evolved in recent years. Prettied up but dumbed down. Appealing to the lowest common denominator and their wallets.

Cough* Total War Series *cough

I also do not like Steam at all, the interface is not very good imho it uses to much resources and I could not get my AGEOD Civil War2 to run again.

I had downloaded a mod from Ageod forum, but it would crash.. so I deleted the mod to get my working vanilla back. But it now also crashed. So I used steam to "reapir" it but it would still not work. I deinstalled it and downloaded from steam again, still no luck. So for what is steam good then at all ? Better buy a game on CD/DVD, the problem then however is very often even then you need steam or some online tool to run it (which was the case for Empire TW/NapoleonTW I found an edition with both games for ca. 10,- a while ago. However it seems still to require steam ! ..even when I bought the physical media

Yes I noted these steam updates too. I did not want to update it, but just get my Civil War game back

It's a common problem we all seem to have with CW2 on Steam and don't know why Ageod will not fix it. But you can get it to work. Go into the game files and launch the exe set as Administrator. That will work. It may crash the first time but try again and it will eventually load.

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 8/17/2020 2:52:50 AM >

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 43
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/18/2020 10:10:23 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

I still shudder when I think of Hearts of Iron 4.

I stopped at HOI2.

HoI2 and 3 are good games - exp. with the mods (HoI3 must be upgraded to the Their Finest Hour expansion though).

HoI4 is just dire. The simulation engine is marginally less realistic than Risk, and the AI is so incompetent that the only true challenge is to conquer the World starting as Portugal. It has been done, BTW.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 44
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/19/2020 6:48:07 PM   
haegint

Just saying, HoI 3 (and all DLC) is on Steam sale right now, still until 24 August!

I finally bought it. I played HoI2 a lot back at the times and liked it tremendously. I also hear that HoI4 is pretty shallow and dumbed down, does not interest me in the least.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 45
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/19/2020 7:19:43 PM   
mind_messing

Funny, I went back to HoI 3 fairly recently as a nostalgia trip. Was nice to play a few games again, but the pretty clunky naval combat reminded me why I jumped to AE.

I think HoI 4 was an improvement in some respects but a massive step back in others. I was excited by the equipment mechanics, for example, but as a whole package it was quite "meh".

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 8/19/2020 7:21:37 PM >

(in reply to haegint)
Post #: 46
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/19/2020 10:04:43 PM   
haegint

Yeah... guess naval combat and mechanics were never the forte of HoI, HoI2 was pretty bad in that as well. Still I tremendously liked it and wasted countless hours with it . In fact I dabbled in it recently again (Arsenal of Democracy actually), before deciding to come back to a 2nd round of WITP AE. Happy gaming!

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 47
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/19/2020 10:25:04 PM   
Ian R

Has anyone played whatever the latest version of TOAW is (IV?)?

If so, did they fix the naval part?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to haegint)
Post #: 48
RE: WITPAE 3 - 8/19/2020 11:03:55 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Has anyone played whatever the latest version of TOAW is (IV?)?

If so, did they fix the naval part?

They have a thread on all the changes made to the naval module. It's been vastly improved from what it was, but I've rarely played TOAW IV scenarios with opposing naval forces in them so I couldn't really say how much better it is.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4292790

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WITPAE 3 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI