Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? - 8/23/2020 5:09:03 PM   
stryc

Did the AI ever try to use the same logistics system? I presume there was an alpha/beta and people here played in it.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 31
RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? - 8/23/2020 7:10:10 PM   
HansLemurson

I think the real issue here is rather than the "AI Cheating" or "Ignoring Logistics limits", is that it's doing so too visibly.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 32
RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? - 8/24/2020 9:41:23 AM   
ZiggyMaca

I remember Bic mentioning he could have the AI use the exact same rules as the player. I think the reason he has not done so is that would have to be a new beta version number with iteration on the bugs and AI behavior issues it would create, thus requiring quite a time investment. I may be wrong, but he seemed to indicate it was possible. I would vote for this being a feature I would like to see, I would recommend any one that feels the same way to push for this to happen, or at least get a confirmation of why it is not something that could or would not happen.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 33
RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? - 8/24/2020 11:40:17 AM   
stryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZiggyMaca
I remember Bic mentioning he could have the AI use the exact same rules as the player. I think the reason he has not done so is that would have to be a new beta version number with iteration on the bugs and AI behavior issues it would create, thus requiring quite a time investment. I may be wrong, but he seemed to indicate it was possible. I would vote for this being a feature I would like to see, I would recommend any one that feels the same way to push for this to happen, or at least get a confirmation of why it is not something that could or would not happen.

Intriguing.

Personally, if it only comes down to longer turn processing time considerations, I'd gladly endure that. (Perhaps have a Simple/Advanced AI Logistics toggle in the options.)

I don't play this game anymore since discovering how much the AI ignores the game's core system; it put me right off. If there's even a glimmer of hope that something can be done then I'm right behind that movement!

(in reply to ZiggyMaca)
Post #: 34
RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? - 8/26/2020 3:38:55 PM   
stryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansLemurson
I think the real issue here is rather than the "AI Cheating" or "Ignoring Logistics limits", is that it's doing so too visibly.

That would only influence how quickly the player discovers how much the AI doesn't do.

(in reply to HansLemurson)
Post #: 35
RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? - 8/26/2020 4:12:16 PM   
Foxador

quote:

ORIGINAL: stryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansLemurson

That would only influence how quickly the player discovers how much the AI doesn't do.

Well they could make it so the AI still has the ignore logistics BUT pretends to need it. That's a common thing that happens in other games where you just have the AI pretend it needs something it doesn't to give the illusion of using said system.

So you can have the AI actually build the logistic buildings that it ignores currently, so now it would actually make and upgrade truck stations as well as rail stations. Then have a rule where the AI can only move X titles away from a town depending on the level of truck/rail stations that it has. So if it has a level 1 truck station only it they TRY to stay within 10 tiles of a town but with a rail station and a truck station it could move like 20.

Honestly the second idea would be a lot harder to code in than just doing the first one were the AI builds the actual buildings and at least has a leash to it. The leash would be so you don't have 100 troops going across the world to fight which I have seen happen. So have it so they can't go past 30 tiles of a town

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 36
RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? - 8/29/2020 8:52:26 PM   
stryc

On the one hand I applaud the devs for putting (most of) their cards on the table and explaining what the AI doesn't do; however, on the other hand the player is able to see how different the game being played by the AI really is and for a game that prides itself on its intricate logistics systems, and having the AI ignore so much of it, does end up harming the game somewhat. It kind of feels a bit like the devs _wanted_ the AI to use most of the systems, and had every intention of it doing so, but, for whatever reason, couldn't make that happen.

Having simple rules that emulate the observable outcomes of the actual logistics system might have helped conceal all of the AI's free passes, and that might well have been enough. Who knows.

(in reply to Foxador)
Post #: 37
RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? - 9/2/2020 6:42:38 PM   
Leslac

On big maps the current system basically makes the AI unable to survive too far from it's cities, giving the player the rest of the planet. The AI won't build new cities with new logistic producing systems and will thus let it's furthest troops starve to death because of overextension.

In my current game there aren't many cities around on a big map, so massive areas to expand into and fight over. And the AI did just that, but now their farthest moved troops are dying without me cutting them off (and no radioactivity etc). So the AI system as it is, really doesn't work, not on big maps.

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Does the AI build sealed roads and rail? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI