Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 1:07:57 PM   
Encircled

help required please as I'm not 100% sure of the rules here.

I'm trying to move a unit into a base over a river which is contested (about 2 to 1 in his favour) which I own.

Will this trigger an automatic shock attack? (which I obviously don't want!)

Post #: 1
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 1:18:03 PM   
geofflambert

If you cross a hexside he owns it will trigger an attack. Hit the W key if you forget who owns the hexside.

Correction: You say you own the hex? Then I'm not sure, even if it is his hexside. I don't think it will and you'll be cutting off supply to him through one hexside. I don't remember ever triggering an attack against an interloper.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 10/26/2020 1:20:51 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 1:20:11 PM   
Encircled

So if I own the hex, it won't trigger a shock attack?

Whatever the odds?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 1:51:50 PM   
GetAssista

If your unit has 0 AV no shock attack will happen.
Otherwise, I think the rule about the sufficient bridgehead does not depend on base presence or ownership.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 2:07:34 PM   
Encircled

So that means there will be a ahock attack if I cross?

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 2:33:12 PM   
Encircled

I'm not sending back my turn till I get a definite answer here!

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 6
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 3:39:19 PM   
821Bobo

It depends on the hex side you are crossing from. Hex ownership doesn't matter. As gorn suggested, check using 'w'.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 7
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 3:49:24 PM   
Evoken

Moving across a River hex side will also cause the crossing unit to initiate a shock attack unless the
moving side has a presence of friendly units that are already in the hex that meet a threshold
of strength when compared to the non-moving side , this is from the manual but i cant find what the threshold is

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 8
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 4:00:10 PM   
Encircled

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

It depends on the hex side you are crossing from. Hex ownership doesn't matter. As gorn suggested, check using 'w'.

I own the hex, I also own the hexside I'm crossing from.

Based on what you two are saying, its ok

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 9
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 4:01:31 PM   
Encircled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

Moving across a River hex side will also cause the crossing unit to initiate a shock attack unless the
moving side has a presence of friendly units that are already in the hex that meet a threshold
of strength when compared to the non-moving side , this is from the manual but i cant find what the threshold is

Which what I've been looking for as well

So at the moment, two reckon it will be ok, and two reckon it won't be!

Going to go back to trying to find the relevent bit in the manual

Has someone got some sort of call sign for Alfred like the batsignal or something?

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 10
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 4:12:15 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

Which what I've been looking for as well

So at the moment, two reckon it will be ok, and two reckon it won't be!

Going to go back to trying to find the relevent bit in the manual

Has someone got some sort of call sign for Alfred like the batsignal or something?

The first check is whether the enemy owned the hexside by virtue of having used it to enter your base hex. He did not so that check is passed.
The second check might not apply since you already own the hex. My guess is you have no problem because you own the base and the hex side.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 10/26/2020 4:27:24 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 11
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 4:18:40 PM   
821Bobo

Yes, you should be OK.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2892227

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 4:25:52 PM   
Encircled

Fantastic help guys

Really couldn't find it in the manual so thank you to you all!

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 13
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/26/2020 8:32:37 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

I own the hex, I also own the hexside I'm crossing from.

Based on what you two are saying, its ok

You can go back and forth all day long through a hexside you own. Your supplies are.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 10/26/2020 8:33:55 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 14
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/27/2020 12:33:01 PM   
LeeChard

I have crossed a river hexside to a contested hex that I DON'T own but have units in countless times without triggering shock attack. The moving units are in combat mode though. This happens a lot when I am trying to take Singapore.

Post #: 15
RE: Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river - 10/27/2020 1:58:53 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
You can go back and forth all day long through a hexside you own. Your supplies are.

No. See that bridgehead explanation in the link 821Bobo provided.
This one http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2892227

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeeChard
I have crossed a river hexside to a contested hex that I DON'T own but have units in countless times without triggering shock attack. The moving units are in combat mode though. This happens a lot when I am trying to take Singapore.

Same as above. There is no such thing as hex ownership in WITP. Only hexside ownership matters for whatever passage rules.
Also, it is pretty hard to enter Singers through enemy-owned hexside and already have units there, cause the latter entered through that hexside too. So bridgehead rules apply

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 10/27/2020 2:01:58 PM >

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Moving a unit into a contested base hex over a river Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI