Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/24/2020 5:55:45 PM   
Synesthesia942

How do I ensure that when fighting my units have both the SHQ and OHQ bonus?

Is there a max tile limit? When choosing between assigning them to OHQ or SHQ, which one do you choose etc?
Post #: 1
RE: What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/24/2020 6:58:43 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

OHQs always provide their bonuses (assuming the leader succeeds in the associated skill rolls) to any subordinate units within a range of 6 hexes. Beyond that, the subordinate units start taking penalties to OHQ power, which is one of the values shown in the unit details in the bottom panel - I seem to recall it equals the percentage chance that the unit will benefit from the OHQ bonuses in combat, not 100% sure on that though.

I've heard that SHQs also function as OHQs for combat purposes for units assigned directly to them, but keeping the SHQ within a 6-hex range of units that have to move around is obviously comparatively more difficult.

SHQs also automatically grant the combat bonus from their leader's High Command roll to every unit below them in the entire chain of command.

< Message edited by Soar_Slitherine -- 11/24/2020 7:00:06 PM >

(in reply to Synesthesia942)
Post #: 2
RE: What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/24/2020 9:22:23 PM   
Synesthesia942

Fascinating. Range of SHQ bonus is definitely longer than 6 hexes.

Does the OHQ bonus only require one assigned unit in the battle?

I assigned a GR heavy tank to my OHQ light infantry brigade commander, and the OHQ bonus appeared in a huge city battle where most of the units were assigned to the SHQ instead.
Does this mean it applies the OHQ bonus applies to all units, or is it simply a display problem?

If the only OHQ unit n battle is my GR Heavy Tank, is the risk of the OHQ commander getting killed tied to the death of the heavy tank, or is there a separate risk?

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 3
RE: What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/26/2020 4:48:45 AM   
Maerchen

The SHQ bonus is always added, it has no range.

The OHQ bonus is only added to the assigned units, but you can have more than one OHQ commander involved. There is a malus applied if you mix too many OHQ together in an attack. So better have good commanders to negate the malus.

The OHQ commander is only at risk when he is personally involved in the battle, so better keep him out of harms way from counterattacks. 5.8.6.1. KILLED IN ACTION in the manual. If the HQ is directly involved in combat, the Commander will always be present in the frontline, even if the Leader is a coward.If the HQ is lost, the Commander has to make a Personal Combat roll to see if he/she can avoid being killed in action.

I tend to use that as a happy ending for inadequate leaders, like when they are diametrically aligned. For good commanders, you want them being in the line of fire from time to time, they get xp, train their personal combat stat, etc. There are some good artifacts and FP strat cards that make them better under fire. Combat armor and Personal guard, IIRC.

The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.

Post #: 4
RE: What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/26/2020 5:16:11 AM   
Maerchen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Synesthesia942

When choosing between assigning them to OHQ or SHQ, which one do you choose etc?

I take a look at the combat skills of the OHQ commander. If I have my first indy light tank unit, I will only assign it to the infantry OHQ next to it if the OHQ guy has good stats as I tend to forget to attach/deattach it later. It might be better to leave it under the SHQ. But of course it trains the OHQ/SHQ commander in tank tactics then.

I try to keep a good commander alive until I can switch him to a better unit, like a like tank battalion, and then I attach the indy tank to it. But this all depends on distance from the tank levy, fuel availability, etc.

Last game I started naked and took interior as first department. My SHQ commander in late game had like 102 high command bacause of the good recruit cards and his recruitment rolls.

The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.

Post #: 5
RE: What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/26/2020 10:17:21 AM   
Destragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maerchen

The OHQ commander is only at risk when he is personally involved in the battle, so better keep him out of harms way from counterattacks. 5.8.6.1. KILLED IN ACTION in the manual. If the HQ is directly involved in combat, the Commander will always be present in the frontline, even if the Leader is a coward.If the HQ is lost, the Commander has to make a Personal Combat roll to see if he/she can avoid being killed in action.

That says the commander is ALWAYS present on the frontline if the HQ is attacked. I'm sure they can also be on the frontline and die even when the HQ isn't present.

(in reply to Maerchen)
Post #: 6
RE: What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/26/2020 4:06:43 PM   
Nachtjager

I've had a string of brigade commanders trying to be heroes and dying in light skirmishes because for some reason they love to pump up their "lead from the front" score. It was enough to make me start playing the personal guard fate card on any commander who was promising.

(in reply to Destragon)
Post #: 7
RE: What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/26/2020 5:47:27 PM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nachtjager

I've had a string of brigade commanders trying to be heroes and dying in light skirmishes because for some reason they love to pump up their "lead from the front" score. It was enough to make me start playing the personal guard fate card on any commander who was promising.

quote:

've had a string of brigade commanders trying to be heroes and dying in light skirmishes because for some reason they love to pump up their "lead from the front" score. It was enough to make me start playing the personal guard fate card on any commander who was promising.

Making a note here. Might be some improvement possible.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Nachtjager)
Post #: 8
RE: What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? - 11/26/2020 11:21:33 PM   
Synesthesia942

Is there any strategy for keeping OHQ commanders alive besides personal combat?

Does the armor of the OHQ assigned units make a difference?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> What are the rules for SHQ and OHQ bonuses? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI