Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo - 12/4/2020 8:50:33 PM   
GBurgBullet

Hi all... I'm a new player, but a Harpoon veteran. What a game! The depth and granularity is just amazing.

Anyway, I was recently playing the Brother vs. Brother scenario which features a raid of fixed wing Broncos, Blackhawk helos and embarked infantry on other helos. When I got to the target area, I couldn't figure out how to offload my troopers for the raid. I dropped the helos down to Min Altitude and set the throttle to Hover and then repeatedly tried to issue the Unload Cargo command, but nothing!

The manual says that to unload cargo from helos, you have to "land" them first. How do you do that? I tried to "land" them by setting the altitude to 0 and the throttle to Hover, but it wouldn't let me get below 20 ft. How do you do this. Is it actually even possible to unload troops or cargo from helos in this game? If so, how is it done?
Post #: 1
RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo - 12/5/2020 7:56:04 PM   
SunlitZelkova

It is, however the cargo needs to be airdrop capable. There is a checkmark in the add/remove cargo window next to its name. Presumably you were carrying airdroppable cargo as Brother vs Brother is an "official" (included as part of the base game) scenario, but there could be a mistake.

Also, make sure where you are offloading them is not over a terrain type called "permanent wetlands". It has been awhile since I have had to offload cargo from either a ship or plane so I will need to go back and check to be sure, but that terrain type seems to act like water, so ground units are immobile once entering it, and it is possible they cant actually be "put down" (unloaded) there either.

Also, try it with terrain following turned off.

Keep in mind it takes about 2 minutes (at least for infantry from a helicopter) to disembark and appear on the map.

Formerly known as Project2035, TyeeBanzai, and FlyForLenin

(in reply to GBurgBullet)
Post #: 2
RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo - 12/5/2020 9:55:52 PM   
JFS737

Yes, turn off "terrain following" for the mothership or host of the cargo prior to telling them to "unload". They do not need to be landed in general. A 2 minute countdown timer will appear in the status bar for the unit (upper right side) and they will go into a hover. After they will RTB, so if you don't want them to climb out while RTB's watch them and micro manage.

Cargo ops are pretty neat.

J

(in reply to SunlitZelkova)
Post #: 3
RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo - 12/29/2020 8:05:17 PM   
gord96

Good info thanks. Was just coming to ask the same question. It's a fun scenario.

(in reply to JFS737)
Post #: 4
RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo - 12/29/2020 10:49:03 PM   
Gunner98

Worth a double check to see if you actually loaded the troops. With the Cargo module it is a two step process:

1) setting the appropriate loadout in the Air Ops menu - this is already done for you in this scenario.
2) loading the cargo using the button on the lower right side of the AirOps menu.

Attachment (2)

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to gord96)
Post #: 5
RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo - 12/30/2020 2:18:55 AM   
stolypin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Worth a double check to see if you actually loaded the troops. With the Cargo module it is a two step process:

1) setting the appropriate loadout in the Air Ops menu - this is already done for you in this scenario.
2) loading the cargo using the button on the lower right side of the AirOps menu.

Thanks for the reminder about the 2-step process (which I'm always forgetting). I learn it for a scenario involving cargo, then play 10 scenarios not involving cargo, and then can't remember it when it's time to play another cargo scenario.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 6
RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo - 12/30/2020 4:01:45 PM   
gord96

thanks Gunner. that is probably my issue. i just assumed they were on board. thanks for the tip!

(in reply to stolypin)
Post #: 7
RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo - 12/30/2020 4:17:10 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

i just assumed they were on board. thanks for the tip!

No problem, a common oversite.

One other thing to remember is that not all scenarios were built with the cargo function activated. Often, even in newer scenarios, an author will use the teleport or a lua command to transport troops. In either of these cases the troops will appear due to a trigger of some type.

Its always a good idea to check how the scenario is designed, or you could be left scratching your head.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to gord96)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI