Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

GBurgBullet -> Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (12/4/2020 8:50:33 PM)

Hi all... I'm a new player, but a Harpoon veteran. What a game! The depth and granularity is just amazing.

Anyway, I was recently playing the Brother vs. Brother scenario which features a raid of fixed wing Broncos, Blackhawk helos and embarked infantry on other helos. When I got to the target area, I couldn't figure out how to offload my troopers for the raid. I dropped the helos down to Min Altitude and set the throttle to Hover and then repeatedly tried to issue the Unload Cargo command, but nothing!

The manual says that to unload cargo from helos, you have to "land" them first. How do you do that? I tried to "land" them by setting the altitude to 0 and the throttle to Hover, but it wouldn't let me get below 20 ft. How do you do this. Is it actually even possible to unload troops or cargo from helos in this game? If so, how is it done?

SunlitZelkova -> RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (12/5/2020 7:56:04 PM)

It is, however the cargo needs to be airdrop capable. There is a checkmark in the add/remove cargo window next to its name. Presumably you were carrying airdroppable cargo as Brother vs Brother is an "official" (included as part of the base game) scenario, but there could be a mistake.

Also, make sure where you are offloading them is not over a terrain type called "permanent wetlands". It has been awhile since I have had to offload cargo from either a ship or plane so I will need to go back and check to be sure, but that terrain type seems to act like water, so ground units are immobile once entering it, and it is possible they cant actually be "put down" (unloaded) there either.

Also, try it with terrain following turned off.

Keep in mind it takes about 2 minutes (at least for infantry from a helicopter) to disembark and appear on the map.

JFS737 -> RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (12/5/2020 9:55:52 PM)

Yes, turn off "terrain following" for the mothership or host of the cargo prior to telling them to "unload". They do not need to be landed in general. A 2 minute countdown timer will appear in the status bar for the unit (upper right side) and they will go into a hover. After they will RTB, so if you don't want them to climb out while RTB's watch them and micro manage.

Cargo ops are pretty neat.

J

gord96 -> RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (12/29/2020 8:05:17 PM)

Good info thanks. Was just coming to ask the same question. It's a fun scenario.

Gunner98 -> RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (12/29/2020 10:49:03 PM)

Worth a double check to see if you actually loaded the troops. With the Cargo module it is a two step process:

1) setting the appropriate loadout in the Air Ops menu - this is already done for you in this scenario.
2) loading the cargo using the button on the lower right side of the AirOps menu.

[image]local://upfiles/16451/395A41C29A214076BF65C44B45575829.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/16451/21D92C2DAF154BF1A5B59B8B001B949D.jpg[/image]

stolypin -> RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (12/30/2020 2:18:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Worth a double check to see if you actually loaded the troops. With the Cargo module it is a two step process:

1) setting the appropriate loadout in the Air Ops menu - this is already done for you in this scenario.
2) loading the cargo using the button on the lower right side of the AirOps menu.

[image]local://upfiles/16451/395A41C29A214076BF65C44B45575829.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/16451/21D92C2DAF154BF1A5B59B8B001B949D.jpg[/image]

Thanks for the reminder about the 2-step process (which I'm always forgetting). I learn it for a scenario involving cargo, then play 10 scenarios not involving cargo, and then can't remember it when it's time to play another cargo scenario.

gord96 -> RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (12/30/2020 4:01:45 PM)

thanks Gunner. that is probably my issue. i just assumed they were on board. thanks for the tip!

Gunner98 -> RE: Helos & Unloading Troops & Cargo (12/30/2020 4:17:10 PM)

quote:

i just assumed they were on board. thanks for the tip!

No problem, a common oversite.

One other thing to remember is that not all scenarios were built with the cargo function activated. Often, even in newer scenarios, an author will use the teleport or a lua command to transport troops. In either of these cases the troops will appear due to a trigger of some type.

Its always a good idea to check how the scenario is designed, or you could be left scratching your head.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI