Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is any new release for Strategic Command planned?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 11/25/2020 10:06:49 AM   
lIIlIIlIIl

Hello, I was wondering if anything new is now in development? Last two games were released in December so I was wondering if we might see something new this year as well. I have played all previous games so much that I am really looking forward to something new.
Post #: 1
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 11/25/2020 1:23:01 PM   
Hubert Cater

Glad to hear you have been enjoying the games

Unfortunately no new releases planned for this December, but yes, we are always working on things and as always, when we reach a more concrete and more ready stage in any development we will definitely let everyone know

(in reply to lIIlIIlIIl)
Post #: 2
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 11/26/2020 4:58:13 PM   
Ktonos

Napoleonic era.

The format might seem problematic to deal with the period but its only on initial view in my opinion. With a couple of tweaks and changes SC might get to be the go to game for Napoleonic wargaming.

Mainly diplo changes, having nations capitulate and then mobilize again, and maybe larger map to fit the "armies don't cover a whole front" issue.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 11/26/2020 8:25:38 PM   
dhucul2011

I'm sure that Hubert has some great ideas in the works. I've definately played all of the games and scenarios to death now.

I, personally, would love to see a refresh of the game along the lines of SC2 Weapons and Warfare with a bunch of new units, new features like oil and manpower and some new scenarios like a WW3 1985, Pacific Theatre and/or Napoleon.

Maybe even an expansion of the European Theatre map downwards to include more of the Southern Atlantic and Africa to include the German surface raiders, the Italian East Africa and Dakar campaigns.

Keep any graphics and interface changes or complete engine overhauls for SC4.

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 4
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 12/7/2020 8:08:48 PM   
MVP7

I don't think Napoleonic (or any 19th century or older wars) would work particularly well with the SC system.

There would be even less unit types than in WW1, probably just a few infantry types, couple cavalry types, couple artillery types, and a handful of ships. There would be no real room for technological advancement either unless the campaign covered the entire century in some Total War/Victoria II-esque form (which the engine is not really designed for).

---

WW2 Pacific could be very interesting. There is a distinct lack of strategic Pacific war games that would fall between the gargantuan 'War in the Pacific' and the more casual ship games. Concentrating on the Pacific would require total overhaul of the SC naval mechanics though.

Other than the naval mechanics, the biggest challenge in Pacific theater is avoiding a situation where the campaign is effectively decided in the first couple turns: Either the Japanese get the US navy and force them out of the war very early, or they lose the war. There's little uncertainly in the outcome after the opening compared to the WW2 on the whole, not to mention the WW1 which I think is by far the most open ended of the conflicts depicted in SC games.

This seems like the most likely next game in the series unless they have gone with some smaller conflict like Spanish Civil war or start the next generation of SC with another War in Europe, both of which seem unlikely.

---

An interesting option could be alternative history setting. Something like the Kaiserreich universe from the Hearts of Iron mod of the same name. The greatest benefit of this would be the freedom to create a far more unpredictable and open ended conflict than what WW1 and WW2 allow. However in practice that would require moving away from the Axis/CP-vs-Allies/Entente structure of the game which would be technically very challenging I imagine.

The greatest downside of this approach would be that it moves away from the historical events which I think are the greatest strength of SC series. SC doesn't force the player to make historical decisions but it clearly steers the conflict towards it's historical course if you can't make the difference, which in my opinion is an unique and excellent balance between more scripted and the more open strategy games on the market.

---

Whatever the next game/expansion in the series is, I'm looking forward to it :).

< Message edited by MVP7 -- 12/7/2020 8:11:48 PM >

(in reply to dhucul2011)
Post #: 5
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 12/7/2020 9:12:11 PM   
toni112007

WW2 Pacific Theater please, but with more complex naval mechanics with each ship class having unique statistics and better naval AI. Why? Because naval affairs were very important in the Pacific, and I feel like having the same mechanics as WAW and WIE wouldn't feel right imho.

< Message edited by toni112007 -- 12/7/2020 9:20:04 PM >

(in reply to MVP7)
Post #: 6
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 12/7/2020 11:39:25 PM   
Tanaka

WW2 Pacific theater would interest me the least because we already have that in WAW. Something different like American Civil War, Napoleonic Wars, or even a Fantasy game would be most interesting to me.

(in reply to toni112007)
Post #: 7
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 3/30/2021 8:16:22 PM   
Illiniwek80

Actually, I could see this system being adapted to the American Revolution quite well, and it would be a huge seller.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 8
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 3/31/2021 12:14:38 AM   
Platoonist

The Peloponnesian War! Hoplites and triremes oh my!

(in reply to Illiniwek80)
Post #: 9
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 3/31/2021 1:27:42 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

The Peloponnesian War! Hoplites and triremes oh my!

Already been done very well!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1183470/discussions/

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 3/31/2021 7:01:38 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 10
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 3/31/2021 1:32:56 PM   
falco148

The Korean War (1950-53) would be an interesting choice.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 4/1/2021 9:21:36 AM   
Jazon

Well,
I really would like to see land warfare strategic campaign on China's War of resistance (1937 - 1945). In strategic way could be very interesting, politically - making decisions to make United Front between Nationalists and Communists. American and Soviet aid to fighting sides, etc. Could add border between India and Burma (Myanmar), building supply roads etc. Chindits, partisans, political agitation etc. In my opinion vast subject not yet expolred in Turn-based strategy. Could be something fresh, but still most popular WWII. What do you think guys?

(in reply to falco148)
Post #: 12
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 4/2/2021 10:21:35 AM   
shri

There are two guys who have made great mods of SC games, one made some Naval mod and another a Napoleonic mod.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 13
RE: Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? - 4/2/2021 2:52:07 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jazon

Well,
I really would like to see land warfare strategic campaign on China's War of resistance (1937 - 1945). In strategic way could be very interesting, politically - making decisions to make United Front between Nationalists and Communists. American and Soviet aid to fighting sides, etc. Could add border between India and Burma (Myanmar), building supply roads etc. Chindits, partisans, political agitation etc. In my opinion vast subject not yet expolred in Turn-based strategy. Could be something fresh, but still most popular WWII. What do you think guys?

Definitely China's War of Resistance. That whole theater just begs to be epic!
Also, I would add the Polish-Russian War, the very same that you are working on with your mod using the SC engine. That looks like a work of art, and I personally can't wait to explore that sandbox.

(in reply to Jazon)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Is any new release for Strategic Command planned? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI