Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Graphic Mods >> RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/14/2020 1:15:34 PM   
Mouniac

Hello, When I download terrain v 2.2 it's indicate Nato Beveled v 2.2! Thanks.

< Message edited by Mouniac -- 12/14/2020 1:24:41 PM >

(in reply to Frustalupi)
Post #: 31
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/14/2020 2:26:27 PM   
EagleMountainDK

Thanks for doing this!

The main folder is now graphics. Is that right, ie. not GraphicsAlt like 2.1? And the sub folders are nato?

< Message edited by EagleMountainDK -- 12/14/2020 2:27:48 PM >

(in reply to Mouniac)
Post #: 32
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/14/2020 4:33:11 PM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mouniac

Hello, When I download terrain v 2.2 it's indicate Nato Beveled v 2.2! Thanks.

Shiznit... I must have uploaded the wrong one. I will fix when I get home this evening.

(in reply to Mouniac)
Post #: 33
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/14/2020 11:51:55 PM   
Sandow

I noticed the same thing myself. At first I thought I'd just gotten mixed up choosing mods to download.

(in reply to Mouniac)
Post #: 34
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/15/2020 1:21:06 AM   
mroyer

Okay, try now....

I don't know what's happened the last couple days. I've been doing this for years and all of a sudden I can't. Maybe I've hit some upper limit of files or numbers of downloads on Box or something like that.

Anyhow, I moved over to DropBox and I think it should be fine now.
Please let me know - successful or not! Thanks. (and sorry for the trouble)

-Mark R.

(in reply to Sandow)
Post #: 35
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/15/2020 6:28:28 PM   
Lotario

Dirt roads do not appear in the latest version 2.2

< Message edited by Lotario -- 12/15/2020 9:39:14 PM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 36
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/16/2020 3:03:03 AM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lotario

Dirt roads do not appear in the latest version 2.2

Mea-culpa....
By missed-click on the dirt-road layer in GIMP it failed to save that imagery.
It is fixed now as v2.3.

Sorry for that. Been a bad week my hosting mods.
-Mark R.

(in reply to Lotario)
Post #: 37
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/22/2020 2:21:21 PM   
lerugray

Hey so I downloaded this and now my roads seem a little screwed up, anyone else have an issue where roads are branching off into the north west into nowhere constantly? need to figure out how to host a pic as an example.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lerugray -- 12/22/2020 2:23:47 PM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 38
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/22/2020 5:33:40 PM   
mroyer

Yes, this is a known issue. It is just a visual and has no effect on the game. Think of it as a short, dead-end road.

I need to fix it in the next version. The road coming from the south hex-side to the northeast hex-side should go closer to the hex center so it joins properly with any road that in the future might be built from the north. It's hard to explain, but this was mainly a problem when the rails are overlaid.
I plan to fix it in the next version.

Sorry for the confusion,
-Mark R.

(in reply to lerugray)
Post #: 39
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/22/2020 8:26:06 PM   
lerugray

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

Yes, this is a known issue. It is just a visual and has no effect on the game. Think of it as a short, dead-end road.

I need to fix it in the next version. The road coming from the south hex-side to the northeast hex-side should go closer to the hex center so it joins properly with any road that in the future might be built from the north. It's hard to explain, but this was mainly a problem when the rails are overlaid.
I plan to fix it in the next version.

Sorry for the confusion,
-Mark R.

OK cool, thanks for the heads up!

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 40
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/23/2020 10:03:13 AM   
bootlegger267

I've got a brain fart. Do we place the MOD into...

C:\Matrix Games\Shadow Empire\graphics

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bootlegger267 -- 12/23/2020 10:04:00 AM >

(in reply to lerugray)
Post #: 41
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/23/2020 11:33:50 AM   
mroyer

quote:

Do we place the MOD into...
C:\Matrix Games\Shadow Empire\graphics

One level up...
C:\Matrix Games\Shadow Empire

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mroyer -- 12/23/2020 11:35:46 AM >

(in reply to bootlegger267)
Post #: 42
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/23/2020 12:32:03 PM   
bootlegger267

Thanks! (duh...lol)

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 43
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 12/23/2020 1:17:31 PM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bootlegger267

Thanks! (duh...lol)

Panzer Blitz! One of my favorite games, way back when I was high-school age in the 1970's.

-Mark R.

(in reply to bootlegger267)
Post #: 44
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 1/3/2021 3:28:07 PM   
Whiskiz

Forgive my ignorance, but for installation it says "Unpack the zip file contents to your ...\GraphicsAlt and ...\Graphics folders"

The only file this download comes with is GraphicsAlt - so we're supposed to copy and paste it both in GraphicsAlt and Graphics folders?

I did that and it didn't work.

Is this only an update and not the actual base Terrain mod? I looked around and couldn't find one.

Much confuse.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/3/2021 3:29:35 PM >

(in reply to Frustalupi)
Post #: 45
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 1/3/2021 6:08:32 PM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whiskiz

Forgive my ignorance, but for installation it says "Unpack the zip file contents to your ...\GraphicsAlt and ...\Graphics folders"

The only file this download comes with is GraphicsAlt - so we're supposed to copy and paste it both in GraphicsAlt and Graphics folders?

I did that and it didn't work.

Is this only an update and not the actual base Terrain mod? I looked around and couldn't find one.

Much confuse.

I clarified the opening post instructions.

The file is unzipped ONLY to the GraphicsAlt folder. The reference to the Graphics folder is a holdover from earlier versions of ShadowEmpire before Vic created GraphicsAlt.

Note: if it is your first time unpacking a mod, GraphicsAlt won't exist. It is created when you unpack.

Sorry for any confusion,
-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 1/3/2021 6:09:43 PM >

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 46
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 1/4/2021 3:34:20 AM   
Whiskiz

I became even more confused, because i tried that first haha - Just copying over GraphicsAlt because that's all there was.

It didn't seem to work so that's when i tried copying to both and thought i was doing something else wrong.

After some testing - it turns out the issue is Das's awesome tile icons mod overwriting/being incompatible with this mod, which is a major shame.

Any possibility of making them compatible, so we get his clear environment icons on your awesomely detailed and also clearer defined environment textures?

Otherwise if your mod is first then his copied over it's his icons and maybe your detailed roads but mostly base blurry hexes. If his is done first with yours copied over after there's no more icons but detailed textures.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/4/2021 3:37:12 AM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 47
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 1/4/2021 9:24:35 AM   
stryc

If a combined effort with Das's icons does go ahead, please be certain _NOT_ to make them both obligatory, i.e., you get both or none. I, personally, dislike the look of this terrain mod but I find great value in Das's icon mod.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 48
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 1/4/2021 10:26:23 AM   
mroyer

quote:

After some testing - it turns out the issue is Das's awesome tile icons mod overwriting/being incompatible with this mod

You are correct. As both mods modify many of the same graphic image files, the last one installed wins.

quote:

Any possibility of making them compatible, so we get his clear environment icons on your awesomely detailed and also clearer defined environment textures?

It is definitely technically possible. It would just need blessing from both DasTactic and myself. For my part, I am all for anything that makes each player's playing experience more enjoyable. One of us would need to give the other our raw images to execute on the suggestion.

An even better solution would be if Vic ever took up the suggestion to make the DasTactic icons toggleable (as per suggestions in the DasTactic terrain thread). Then the DasTactic icons could be toggleable over any other terrain mod.

quote:

If a combined effort with Das's icons does go ahead, please be certain _NOT_ to make them both obligatory, i.e., you get both or none. I, personally, dislike the look of this terrain mod but I find great value in Das's icon mod.

Absolutely! If I were to do it, I would make an entirely new mod of combined imagery. IMO, the main purpose of graphics mods is to allow players to customize the look of the game to suit their own personal taste.

-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 1/4/2021 10:30:05 AM >

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 49
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 1/4/2021 10:31:18 AM   
Tchey

Please make a combo mod with Das, it really improve visual AND gameplay (makeing it easier to read and understand what is what).

* Jeux1d100 ? Le blog Jeux1d100.net sur les jeux indécents et Linux, et la chaîne YouTube *

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 50
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 1/4/2021 11:14:35 AM   
Whiskiz

quote:

An even better solution would be if Vic ever took up the suggestion to make the DasTactic icons toggleable (as per suggestions in the DasTactic terrain thread). Then the DasTactic icons could be toggleable over any other terrain mod.

True. The base game needs a hex/environment icon overlay toggle by default, due to how hard it is to tell the environment apart sometimes. Would be great.

Or if it's too much hassle since even being able to rebind keys or a menu that even shows what the keybinds are, seems to be too much of a hassle, maybe you could make your own awesome set of icons to go with your awesome environments.

Or see 2 awesome modders combine their powers for the good of all mankind. Mostly just players of Shadow Empire, but still

The options are endless!

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/4/2021 1:59:21 PM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 51
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.3) - Update - 1/5/2021 6:49:13 AM   
reapercorfu

Hello there , i find it very difficult to install this mod , i unzip the file and i place the graphicsalt folder inside tha games folder but i can not run the mod , could you please help a bit ?

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 52
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.3) - Update - 1/5/2021 10:34:35 AM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: reapercorfu

Hello there , i find it very difficult to install this mod , i unzip the file and i place the graphicsalt folder inside tha games folder but i can not run the mod , could you please help a bit ?

The zip file should be unpacked to your Shadow Empire folder creating a GraphicsAlt folder there,
typically C:\Matrix Games\Shadow Empire\Shadow Empire\ (see image below).

You don't 'run' the mod. Once the zip is unpacked, you run the game normally and you should see the alternate terrain imagery.

-Mark R.

(in reply to reapercorfu)
Post #: 53
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 2/7/2021 3:45:33 AM   
mroyer

v2.4 update available - download link in opening post.

Terrain Mod v2.4
(1) Fixed the weird dead-end hook on some dirt roads
(2) Made more minor touch-up fixes of road hex joins
(3) Escarpment updates (e.g., less saturated coloration)
(4) Rounded off star-like look of forest/woods/jungle when clumped in 7-hex groups
Note: this version is combined with DasTactics icons in a separate DasTactic-Mroyer mod (v1.0)

(in reply to Frustalupi)
Post #: 54
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 2/7/2021 9:12:20 AM   
stryc

I like parts of this but the high contrast is hard on the eyes. Also, adding dark shadows to DasTactic's icons only exacerbates the problem.

Shame because the jungle, mountains and canyon adjustments are rather needed. Alas, replacing one visual problem with another isn't a good trade.

Suggest you pull back the contrast on everything; ease back on the saturation as well; dump the shadows on Das's icons.

(in reply to Frustalupi)
Post #: 55
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 2/7/2021 12:12:48 PM   
mroyer

quote:

I like parts of this but the high contrast is hard on the eyes. Also, adding dark shadows to DasTactic's icons only exacerbates the problem.

Shame because the jungle, mountains and canyon adjustments are rather needed. Alas, replacing one visual problem with another isn't a good trade.

Suggest you pull back the contrast on everything; ease back on the saturation as well; dump the shadows on Das's icons.

I've taken your earlier comments under advisement, but I'm not really sure exactly how to help or improve. I think you're referring to the the contrast of certain terrain features (mountains, trees, etc) relative to the base, background terrain textures (grass, rocky plains, etc). I suppose that is partly a matter of personal taste. I didn't really increase the contrast of much over the original graphics with notable exception of trees and mountains (and, of course, the shadows behind the DasTactic icons in that version of the mod).

Especially if it might have broad appeal, I could try to create another flavor of these terrain mods that
(a) removes the shadows from the DasTactic icons (that's easy to do), and
(b) reduces the contrast of the trees, jungle, mountains, escarpments and roads/rails.

The latter (b) is a bit more tricky since its a judgement call and may be partly related to settings of individual monitors. You may not be seeing exactly what I see, for example. In my case, with the original, 'vanilla' graphics that came with the game it was very difficult to distinguish certain terrain features so I took to increasing the sharpness (which involves increased contrast).

But, I only sharpened up a few features: mountains, hills and trees, if I recall correctly. I also added some yellow to the savanna. Hills and savanna were especially difficult to distinguish from grassy plains in the vanilla offering.

The jungle and tundra terrain imagery that I used actually came with the original game. They were unused graphics that I activated. In the vanilla graphics, jungle was almost indistinguishable from forest and tundra from grassy plains.

The roads/rails, canyons and escarpments are entirely my own concoction. While overall I quite like the original vanilla graphics, I found these features to be specifically underwhelming and did my best to improve on them. DasTactics canyons and escarpments are arguably better than mine and could be used instead.

Otherwise, the imagery seen with this mod is largely the original vanilla imagery.

I will try to experiment along your suggested lines and see what I can do.

Thanks for the feedback,
-Mark R.

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 56
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 2/7/2021 3:49:43 PM   
stryc

Appreciate that a lot of this will be a matter of taste, as you said.

Most of it looks great, lets get that part clear first. I'm not trying to p1ss all over your carpet.

Trees, mountains and rail are the ones that suffer from too much contrast. (Adding 'sharpness' has the same effect as increasing contrast, applied only to areas of the bitmap that already had the highest contrast.)
- The trees have a bright, saturated left side and a near-black shadow. The original trees had about the correct level of contrast and saturation; that was never the problem with the originals - it was being unable to tell woods-from-forest-from-jungle, particularly when on low mountains.
- Mountains have near-white 'light-side' elements and near-black 'dark-side' elements. Low mountains look okay.
- Rail lines are all but pure black on very-nearly-white. Both forms of roads look great but the bright white/black snake of rail looks far too harsh.
- The escarpments just don't look right at all, to my eye. Granted, the original ones did no better.

Low and high mountains were pretty much indistinguishable in the original. I would suggest pulling your high mounts down to the saturation and contrast you currently have your low mountains at, and bring the low mounts down accordingly. With the presence of Das's icons (no shadow) the differences should be clear enough.

As I said above, everything else looks pretty good.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 57
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 2/7/2021 4:34:08 PM   
mroyer

Hi stryc,

Thanks for taking the time to articulate the excellent, detailed feedback. I can work with those suggestions to see if I can improve. (Also, I didn't take it negatively at all - don't worry about that. I'd rather know people's thoughts.)

As an FYI, I just did an internet search and found the following real-life aerial of a rail bed. This is pretty much what I had in mind when I did the rail lines. I put the mod image there too for comparison. I can surely lighten the rails and ties a tiny bit and make the gravel bed a darker grey. I think that may have the effect you're talking about.

-Mark R.

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 58
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 2/7/2021 5:21:03 PM   
stryc

Yeah, medium-grey. Not white. It's the harsh contrast that's the issue; black on white. Black on medium-grey might be okay.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 59
RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update - 2/7/2021 5:29:23 PM   
mroyer

It's actually a light, grainy grey to simulate gravel. I'll darken the grey. If you see it as white, others probably are too.

(in reply to stryc)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Graphic Mods >> RE: Terrain Mod (v2.1) Update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI