Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Band of Brothers DVD box set

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Band of Brothers DVD box set Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Band of Brothers DVD box set - 8/15/2003 8:48:00 AM   
KG Erwin

I've only gotten to see one episode of this series, but today I found the complete box set at my local library. Needless to say, I snatched it up and will spend the next week going thru the series in order. It's on 5 DVDs, plus a 6th with special features. One thing that impressed me was the fact that Steven Spielberg himself played a part in the casting process, putting the auditioning actors in situations he made up to test them, and at times even operating the camera. I have high expectations for this, and I hope I will not be disappointed.
Post #: 1
Enjoy! - 8/15/2003 8:52:27 AM   
palerider06

You won't be disappointed, it is very well done!

PaleRider06.....Hell Follows!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
The Followup Series - 8/15/2003 9:06:55 AM   
KG Erwin

If this one meets my expectations, then I will have even higher hopes for the followup series which will deal with a Marine unit in the Pacific Campaign. Don't get me wrong--the airborne are cool and tough, but the US Marines are still my all-time favorite fighting force. The German Waffen SS carried an air of eliteness about them, but it only applied to a few units. The Marines of WWII eventually comprised six divisions, and they were ALL elite. No other force of that size in history can match that.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
Re: The Followup Series - 8/15/2003 9:46:42 AM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KG Erwin
[B]The Marines of WWII eventually comprised six divisions, and they were ALL elite. No other force of that size in history can match that. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh I don't know about that........the second AIF were a special bunch.

;)

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
- 8/15/2003 9:57:16 AM   
dsbrad

I hope you like the series. The first episode is a little slow, but once the invasion on Normandy starts, WOW. I had heard how good the series was, but I figured it was hype because of Spielberg and Hanks, but once I finished the episodes, I wanted more.

Enjoy.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
- 8/15/2003 10:13:21 AM   
brent_2

enjoy it! I really liked the series except for the one episode ...Carentan I think where Blyth (?) is the main story...haven't quite sorted out what to think of that one yet

I love the episode about the medics..but I would! (sorry to plagiarize abradley :D)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
- 8/15/2003 10:15:47 AM   
brent_2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dsbrad
[B]I hope you like the series. The first episode is a little slow, but once the invasion on Normandy starts, WOW. I had heard how good the series was, but I figured it was hype because of Spielberg and Hanks, but once I finished the episodes, I wanted more.

Enjoy. [/B][/QUOTE]

I really liked the first episode - Sobel !

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
Well, dsbrad.... - 8/15/2003 10:27:13 AM   
KG Erwin

Apparently HBO was so pleased by this series success that they're currently working on the aforementioned followup. I hope to find time to enjoy the full ten hours of BoB this weekend. My six-year old daughter even thought the first episode was interesting, so there we go. She liked the 101st's eagle patch, so that's cool too. If my wife has to work this weekend, then we'll be set. BTW, my daughter has taken to some of my military interest, which pleases me. She's very much a girly girl, but if she wants to join the armed forces someday I would most definitely encourage it. Any branch will do, but of course I'd prefer the Marines.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
Brent2... - 8/15/2003 10:48:16 AM   
KG Erwin

...Sobel is the classic dilettante, the type that's plagued military institutions for centuries. I was very happy to see his denouement, but that was the obvious intention. The plot was contrived, with the NCO revolt and the spaghetti Currahee hill, but it's all OK with me--the men were hardened by their training, and in the end Sobel did do some good for the company. I only saw episode one tonight--the setup. The real war apparently begins with Day of Days, Episode 2--that's for tomorrow.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
- 8/15/2003 10:59:04 AM   
brent_2

contrived maybe, but good nonetheless.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
Book Vs. the Movie - 8/15/2003 12:53:52 PM   
ShermanM4

[QUOTE]...Sobel is the classic dilettante, the type that's plagued military institutions for centuries. I was very happy to see his denouement, but that was the obvious intention. The plot was contrived, with the NCO revolt and the spaghetti Currahee hill, but it's all OK with me--the men were hardened by their training, and in the end Sobel did do some good for the company. I only saw episode one tonight--the setup. The real war apparently begins with Day of Days, Episode 2--that's for tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

After reading the book I was shocked to learn more about Sobel. In the end, that is, after the war some of the men actually did thank him for his tough training style. Unfortunately he committed suicide sometime in the mid 50's, no body from Easy attended his funeral. The only reason why I mention this, it surprises me that the surving family allowed him to be casted as a character in anyway at all. In all I enjoyed the series, but I liked Ambroses's writing style much better!

"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
Re: Band of Brothers DVD box set - 8/15/2003 3:17:26 PM   
Pawlock

[B]I've only gotten to see one episode of this series, but today I found the complete box set at my local library. Needless to say, I snatched it up and will spend the next week going thru the series in order. It's on 5 DVDs, plus a 6th with special features. One thing that impressed me was the fact that Steven Spielberg himself played a part in the casting process, putting the auditioning actors in situations he made up to test them, and at times even operating the camera. I have high expectations for this, and I hope I will not be disappointed. [/B][/QUOTE]

I bought the boxset, excellent IMO. Dont forget the extra's are worth watching too, you can actually see the guys it portrays in the series in real life. Some of the likenesses are uncanny!!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
- 8/15/2003 4:55:04 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brent_2
[B]enjoy it! I really liked the series except for the one episode ...Carentan I think where Blyth (?) is the main story...haven't quite sorted out what to think of that one yet

I love the episode about the medics..but I would! (sorry to plagiarize abradley :D) [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree that the 3rd episode is the weakest, especially since it lacks the momentum of the 2nd, but it has its points. It's interesting they depict how the units, scattered all over Normandy, are still trying to assemble days after the invasion. The capture of Carentan is also awesome. Did you notice that they show a German 37mm PAK using the over-caliber (105mm??)grenade? :) (it may also be a 75mm IG but it didn't look like it to me)

The Bastogne episode is awesome! It really looks freezing cold, and it's nice to put the medic in the center of the story.

Got StuG?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
- 8/15/2003 8:53:19 PM   
brent_2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B] Did you notice that they show a German 37mm PAK using the over-caliber (105mm??)grenade? :) (it may also be a 75mm IG but it didn't look like it to me) [/B][/QUOTE]

Grog alert!!!!!Grog alert!!!!! :D :p

I think I'm going to start watching these over again

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 14
About Dale Dye - 8/15/2003 10:49:28 PM   
KG Erwin

I think he was a good choice to play Col. Sink. I really didn't know much about Dye, other than he's the number one choice to turn actors into soldiers. What impressed me, though, was learning that he was a Marine Vietnam vet, and earned three Purple Hearts. Jeez, he's not a bad actor, either.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
- 8/15/2003 11:08:32 PM   
riverbravo

Excellent series.

I laugh at hurricanes!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
- 8/15/2003 11:18:33 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Just a warning....

I dont know if I would let a 6 year old watch it series

Lots of profanity and some of the episodes are very gory
There is also a sex scene in episode 9

Again...just a warning

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
Re: Brent2... - 8/15/2003 11:30:49 PM   
MarkFroio

[B]...Sobel is the classic dilettante, the type that's plagued military institutions for centuries. I was very happy to see his denouement, but that was the obvious intention. The plot was contrived, with the NCO revolt and the spaghetti Currahee hill, but it's all OK with me--the men were hardened by their training, and in the end Sobel did do some good for the company. I only saw episode one tonight--the setup. The real war apparently begins with Day of Days, Episode 2--that's for tomorrow. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the spaghetti, but the part about the NCOs was not contrived. It actually happened. I can't remember if happened the way the movie portrayed it, but according to the book, it did happen.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 18
- 8/16/2003 10:07:37 AM   
dsbrad

I never said I didn't like ep 1. Sobel is the stereotypical hard core trainer (by the book,) but when it came down to business .... Well. I experienced it personally.
Initial character build up and such tends to be, well slow. I don't mind it, it is necessary for a series. I liked what Sobel got, I thought it appropriate because now a days, that doesn't happen to often.
I love the series and am glad to hear they are going to add on to it. I did some checking and what I found was that they are moving to the pacific theater for the next one and are going to base the story on the a Marine unit.

Can't wait.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 19
- 8/16/2003 12:13:07 PM   
KG Erwin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
"I agree that the 3rd episode is the weakest, especially since it lacks the momentum of the 2nd, but it has its points. It's interesting they depict how the units, scattered all over Normandy, are still trying to assemble days after the invasion. The capture of Carentan is also awesome. " I disagree. This episode does not lack in any way from the previous two. The fact that some men are just not meant to serve in combat is driven home here. Blithe is a tragic character, and he did his duty by killing an enemy soldier, but that deed removed the last bit of humanity left in him. This bit of artsiness may have put some of you off, but I thought it was masterful. The beauty of this miniseries , to my mind, is that it's dealing in every aspect of how the experience of war affects those who participated in it. The tactics, the heroism, the guts and glory are one thing--however, the cost in human suffering, both mental and physical, is not shied away from here. This is what episode three tried to bring into focus, so in that light I think it's commendable.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 20
Part Seven - 8/18/2003 4:44:44 AM   
KG Erwin

Dr. Eugene Sledge mentioned in his book about the Pacific war that what terrified him the most was being shelled by enemy artillery. Part Seven of BoB underscores that worst of experiences for an infantryman. Another point about episode seven must be mentioned. Much attention has been paid to containing the German breakthrough at the Bulge, but the fact is, more casualties were suffered by US troops during the counterattack to push the Germans back to their start lines than in the breakthough & containment phase. This episode has been the best so far in portraying the reality of the ETO, but I still have three more to go. I'm gonna have to buy this box set, no doubt about it.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 21
- 8/18/2003 8:00:58 AM   
wodin

I thought it was an absolute brillant series me and my wife were riveted.

I would love to have the dvd box set except for two problems.
1 Its **** expensive
2. I dont have a DVD

The series was shown to the men of the 101st on the D Day memorial before it was shown to a general public.

They thought it was excellent and that Damon Lewis who played Winters got him down to a tee.

Wodin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 22
Re: About Dale Dye - 8/20/2003 1:50:42 PM   
NefariousKoel

[B]I think he was a good choice to play Col. Sink. I really didn't know much about Dye, other than he's the number one choice to turn actors into soldiers. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wasn't he the battalion CO in Platoon? You remember.. after calling in the airstrike on their own position - "It's a beautiful f*cking war gentlemen."

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 23
Re: Re: About Dale Dye - 8/20/2003 3:06:01 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NefariousKoel
[B]Wasn't he the battalion CO in Platoon? You remember.. after calling in the airstrike on their own position - "It's a beautiful f*cking war gentlemen." [/B][/QUOTE]

Correct. He played Capt. Harris in "Platoon". He also played the War Departement General in "Saving Private Ryan".... as well as narrating the "Medal of Honor" games, most recently the training scenario for "MoH: Allied Assault". :D

And as KG Erwin aldready pointed out, he's also a Vietnam vet., serving a total of 13 years in the Marines, 5 years in Nam I think. ('65 + '67-'70, the latter part as combat correspondant for 1st Marine Division). 31 combat operations, a bronze star and three purple hearts. Internet can teach you anything. ;)

Got StuG?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Band of Brothers DVD box set Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI