Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good Book...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Good Book... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good Book... - 7/9/2001 6:11:00 AM   
Huffy

Hi everyone...I just wanted to tell you about a good book I bought a few weeks back. It is called "WAR LETTERS" .I wrote to Bill and told him already...but thought the rest of you might find it interesting. As much as I "hate" to read...I about sent my wife into a heart attack when I wanted to buy this book.I am getting through it ...very slowly...but I do like it. It is some of the last letters written by the men and women in the fox holes...one the front lines..hospitales... Some times I just shut it ....because I can't imagine what the people and families ,friends have given up... Take care all...and don't let people forget.... Huffy

Post #: 1
- 7/9/2001 6:46:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Well spoken, Huffy! Thanks for letting me know about it. It is a book that stirs the soul. It is well worth reading...Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 2
- 7/9/2001 10:45:00 AM   
Huffy

Thanks Wild Bill....seems no one else is interested though... Huffy

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 3
- 7/9/2001 4:55:00 PM   
Gordon_freeman

Dear Huffy, first of all I like to give you a book I regard as readworth, so I forgot the title: It is a book from the post of German's from within Stalingrad pocket, which has been published in late 1980's. The special thing about it is that all these letters were captured by the Soviets and only released for the first time with the publishing of that book. So there are not really fighting details in it (as with most privat letters there are'nt) they give you a pretty detailed view of what was going on. As with all books of these kind it is emotional and clearly shows the reader the emotions of the people involved. The next thing about books in english is their availability all over the world. Often u can get a book and buy it over the internet but the price often explodes as soon as someone has to get it abroad. I realy can't get hold of the book you mention and with the exchange rate at the moment it is pretty unliklely I ever will. But I simply guess that all kinds of these books like to show that the reader should'nt forget what was happening.

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 4
- 7/9/2001 5:25:00 PM   
Gen. Maczek

quote:

Originally posted by George aka 2f: Dear Huffy, first of all I like to give you a book I regard as readworth, so I forgot the title: It is a book from the post of German's from within Stalingrad pocket, which has been published in late 1980's. The special thing about it is that all these letters were captured by the Soviets and only released for the first time with the publishing of that book. So there are not really fighting details in it (as with most privat letters there are'nt) they give you a pretty detailed view of what was going on. As with all books of these kind it is emotional and clearly shows the reader the emotions of the people involved. The next thing about books in english is their availability all over the world. Often u can get a book and buy it over the internet but the price often explodes as soon as someone has to get it abroad. I realy can't get hold of the book you mention and with the exchange rate at the moment it is pretty unliklely I ever will. But I simply guess that all kinds of these books like to show that the reader should'nt forget what was happening.
Are you perhaps thinking of a book entitled "The Last Letters From Stalingrad"? I believe that this book was proved a hoax, and that the letters were sadly ungenuine. I am not sure if this is the book you speak of, but it seems it could be. Regards Gen. Maczek

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 5
- 7/9/2001 6:04:00 PM   
John Galt

Huffy, That book should be required reading for every freedom loving soul. John Galt

Experience is the teacher that gives the test first and the lesson last.

John Galt

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 6
- 7/9/2001 8:15:00 PM   
Gen.Urquhart

Hi everybody, It doesn't really cencern about letters,but one of the gratest book of ww2 that i read is ....well the title is...i don't remember well the english one,something like..." behind the hill"or something like that,written by B.H.Liddel Hart.It's composed of various interviews take in 1945/6 from the biggest survived german generals.If u have the chance:read it!Great:tactics,strategy,and many other interesting stuff directly from the chiefs of the german Army. The books u mentioned are not sold in italy,as many other good books.It's even diffficult to find them here in the original lenguage :mad: :mad: !!! It would be good to dedicate a forum to the war litterature,so that we could suggest each others in the choices of the books Regards

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 7
- 7/10/2001 2:30:00 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by Gen.Urquhart: It would be good to dedicate a forum to the war litterature,so that we could suggest each others in the choices of the books Regards
I guess we won't see that here, as Matrix isn't exactly a book publishing company. ;) But still it's a nice idea. I'd like to get some recommendations for good books! As a student, my economy is somewhat strained (heh) and I can't really afford to put $45 + shipping for a book that turns out to be less than I expected. You get my point...

Got StuG?

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 8
- 7/10/2001 6:00:00 AM   
Gen.Urquhart

I got your point Belisarius:i'm a student too,and i know how much those books can cost;especially the imported ones! Anyway,i was not talking about a publishing forum,but a room where all we spwaw supporters can talk about books concerning the scenarios,the campaigns we play.Just a way to give a backfeeding to our gameplay. Anyhow the book i was talking about is traslated in many lenguages and in italy is very cheap(less than 10 dollars!).Try it! Regards

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Good Book... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI