Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> New player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New player - 1/5/2021 1:05:08 AM   
DOCUP

Just got the game. I have been watching Das Tactic videos. Is there a post that breaks stuff down for a beginner? Especially about the early game.
Post #: 1
RE: New player - 1/5/2021 2:16:51 AM   
Daza99

There is some guides on the games's steam store front and of course the manual read is a must. Its a good idea to first get familiar with the GUI and where to find information, learn a lot of the interface can be clicked on and lots of tool tips.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 2
RE: New player - 1/6/2021 7:31:31 PM   
pauls2271

quote:

I have been watching Das Tactic videos

Das did a set of beginner vids months ago when the game was first released.

The game has altered somewhat since then but they are mostly correct. He goes through the beginning turns and also a preferred setup for new players.

I learned the game by just watching DAS play it when it was pre-release. He got the game early and posted lots of Let Play vids. So when the game came out, I pretty much knew what to do and what to expect. I still lost my first 3+ games on beginner level.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 3
RE: New player - 1/6/2021 7:46:18 PM   
redrum68

+1 for Das Tactic's videos. Reading the manual is very helpful as well. I think a lot depends on what games you've played in the past and can relate different mechanics to.

(in reply to pauls2271)
Post #: 4
RE: New player - 1/7/2021 12:55:07 AM   
Maerchen

And as a bonus, DasTactic, TortugaPower and Grognerd are regularly streaming/releasing on yt and twitch.tv . It was voted on today Das' twitch channel that he streams Shadow Empire and he is always happy to answer any question regarding it.

If I forgot anyone streaming, no offense intended.

The logistics hell this game is IS the fun part! - Maerchen, 2020

The good thing is, we have all the information in the reports. The bad thing is, we have all the information. Maerchen, 2020

Came for SE. Will stay for SE.

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 5
RE: New player - 1/7/2021 7:02:23 AM   
KarisFraMauro

Not gonna lie, I took a brief look at the manual and then my eyes glazed over... If not for Das there's every likelihood I never would have gotten into this game, which would be a tragedy because it's more than worth the effort.

(in reply to Maerchen)
Post #: 6
RE: New player - 1/7/2021 7:10:09 PM   
eddieballgame

Videos, forum, & manual...not necessarily in that order.
Oh, & play a lot, small planet recommended & start with a mine (beginner) for your first play throughs.
Play an email game...you will be forced to learn & as pointed out, there is plenty.
Bottom line...as you you gain knowledge per this 4x gem on how to play, you will increase your enjoyment of it.

(in reply to KarisFraMauro)
Post #: 7
RE: New player - 1/8/2021 11:27:24 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Just got the game. I have been watching Das Tactic videos. Is there a post that breaks stuff down for a beginner? Especially about the early game.

"Nobody has ever learned Shadow Empires without starving his units at least once".

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 8
RE: New player - 1/8/2021 1:55:15 PM   
KarisFraMauro

Speaking of new player questions, I still haven't figured out what the "threaten leader" strategem does. I was told to look at the description in the help section of the game and sure enough it just repeats the same unhelpful description you get when hovering over it in the first place. It threatens the leader. Huh.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 9
RE: New player - 1/8/2021 7:28:51 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: KarisFraMauro

Speaking of new player questions, I still haven't figured out what the "threaten leader" strategem does. I was told to look at the description in the help section of the game and sure enough it just repeats the same unhelpful description you get when hovering over it in the first place. It threatens the leader. Huh.

I would guess improved relations (as the leader now fears to disagree with you).

Trying it once after saving would solve that question easily.

Post #: 10
RE: New player - 1/9/2021 5:52:48 AM   
KarisFraMauro

You're probably right, but even a "successful" threat feels like it would have downsides.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
RE: New player - 1/10/2021 12:06:32 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: KarisFraMauro

You're probably right, but even a "successful" threat feels like it would have downsides.

I fear leaders do not have the level of detail to simulate it.

Cities do track fear. But IMHO fear is not a downside either:
It counters unrest and caps Happiness at 100-Fear. But if you got Unrest or Fear, that means likely you do not have enough Happiness for fear to mater.

Post #: 12
RE: New player - 1/10/2021 3:47:28 PM   
Bleek

There are some great guides here - https://steamcommunity.com/app/1154840/guides/

Particularly "Grognerd's Guide to Human Resources Administration".

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> New player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI