Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Slitherine poll

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Slitherine poll Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/14/2021 11:31:53 PM   
Zap

Twitter is censuring, along with other big tech. That's a big no, no. I don't have a twitter account , never had one. Surely, under the present circumstances I will not start an account to support them or a Slitherine Poll that chooses twitter.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 31
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 12:21:28 AM   
z1812z

[/quote]
On most forums that I'm on, it is trivially easy for any user to create a poll. On the twitter poll, there is a weird selection of time periods, I couldn't really tell what they were talking about...they should be more specific ("Napoleonic", "Pike & Musket", WWII, WWI, etc.). Between not using twitter and not knowing what they were even asking about, I declined to take part...
[/quote]

Exactly! As I recall, there have been polls here before. What's the problem with making one here?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 32
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 12:22:15 AM   
z1812z

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Twitter is censuring, along with other big tech. That's a big no, no. I don't have a twitter account , never had one. Surely, under the present circumstances I will not start an account to support them or a Slitherine Poll that chooses twitter.

+1

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 33
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 12:27:08 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812z

quote:

+1

+1

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to z1812z)
Post #: 34
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 10:50:34 AM   
Neilster

quote:

I assume you mean censoring? When you join these things, you agree to a long list of rules that usually nobody reads. These companies have ignored repeated violations of their own policies for years because it's been lucrative to do so but now they've decided to enforce them. That's cynical but in the current circumstances, not unreasonable.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 35
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 11:50:39 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster
Twitter's OK. You just pick who you follow carefully.

Exactly. I don't have a twitter account (and don't plan to have it as I'm unimportant and people don't need to read my lunacies) but following some key individuals is useful to me. I call them "my gravediggers": they do all the digging for me = find useful (to me) political, economic information which they share. Scholars, journalists, scientists, even random well informed people are on that list.

Thanks to them I got a correct and real time (early february) intel about covid-19, which I used to warn family members, friends. Ergo twitter was indeed useful.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 36
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 12:56:34 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
Thanks to them I got a correct and real time (early february) intel about covid-19, which I used to warn family members, friends. Ergo twitter was indeed useful.

OK, but you could have gotten the same by just following the news online, there were many reports about it in January and IIRC the first mentions in December.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 37
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 1:23:07 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm
OK, but you could have gotten the same by just following the news online, there were many reports about it in January and IIRC the first mentions in December.

hmm, I don't think so. Not saying these reports did not exist at all. Just buried below a huge pile of "this is a flu, pack of lies, exaggeration etc etc etc" official reports. And it's clear who had the upper hand... until reality knocked everyone's door. In fact that's why they could use the "we didn't know" alibi: they were following the party line...

The gravediggers certainly believed this semi buried stuff and shared it.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 38
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 1:34:24 PM   
MrsWargamer

Polls.
Inasmuch as we are talking about a wargaming poll... Twitter is about as far away from a relevant source as I can imagine.

We wargamers are a long-winded variety. Twitter is the opposite.
Why not pick a more logical location BGG.
Why not something like Reddit.

WHY NOT HERE?
If I was a game developer, the LAST place I'm picking is Twitter.
I might pick Steam, even if Steam is rife with bias. I might pick GoG, at least they are a massive gamer draw.
I'm picking gaming sites.

Not Twitter.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

Post #: 39
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 2:44:56 PM   
rico21

WW2...
The secret weapon...
Twhitler...

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 40
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 3:18:38 PM   
Edmon

We have an official reddit now... but hardly anyone has signed up to it...

Admittedly, we only just started working on it...

You can find it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Slitherine/

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 41
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 3:52:07 PM   
DD696

So now in order to let you know our opinion we must utilize twitter or reddit?

I am not going to create a login to another site in order to answer a question regarding war game development preference for you. It appears to me that if you want the opinion of those who frequent this forum that the appropriate place for such a poll would be on this forum, or is it that those who frequent these forums don't really matter.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 42
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 4:05:09 PM   
MrsWargamer

Said I'd join, talk is cheap, actions speak louder, so here it is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Slitherine/comments/kxyoxn/well_i_said_id_come/

I was fortunate, my username was open :)

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 43
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 4:08:50 PM   
Edmon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

So now in order to let you know our opinion we must utilize twitter or reddit?

I am not going to create a login to another site in order to answer a question regarding war game development preference for you. It appears to me that if you want the opinion of those who frequent this forum that the appropriate place for such a poll would be on this forum, or is it that those who frequent these forums don't really matter.

We have a presence on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Steam and we have our Forums of course and probably other places I can't remember right now.

We gather feedback from and post news to all these places, all the time.

I think saying that we don't care about our forum users or their opinions is grossly unfair of you. If we didn't care, I wouldn't be here reading your feedback.

Most official forums are run almost entirely by fans and volenteers and see no exclusive news at all. We post our latest news on our forums and social media at the same time, so you will never miss out no matter what your favourite place to be is.

But as far as I know, this forum is too old to support secure polls and honestly, a forum is where I go to find detailed feedback because this is what a forum is best for.

Twitter allows you to get a few hundred to a thousand opinions extremely quickly in a way a forum can't compete with, because even if you post a poll in a forum, it's got to be somewhere and many forum goers only visit particular parts of the forum (normally the section that is about their favourite game).

I hope this clarfies things for everyone.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 44
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 4:28:18 PM   
bazjak

"Twitter allows you to get a few hundred to a thousand opinions extremely quickly in a way a forum can't compete with, because even if you post a poll in a forum, it's got to be somewhere and many forum goers only visit particular parts of the forum (normally the section that is about their favourite game)."
Put the poll on the main page then as when you clock on to Matrix/Slitherine you go to the main page and not the forum page

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 45
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 4:32:25 PM   
Edmon

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

"Twitter allows you to get a few hundred to a thousand opinions extremely quickly in a way a forum can't compete with, because even if you post a poll in a forum, it's got to be somewhere and many forum goers only visit particular parts of the forum (normally the section that is about their favourite game)."
Put the poll on the main page then as when you clock on to Matrix/Slitherine you go to the main page and not the forum page

People bookmark their favourite forum more often than not and actually skip the index entirely. I used to do this on the paradox forums for example. I had the BT forum and EUIV general discussion forums bookmarked and never went anywhere else.

Getting the opinion of an entire forum is actually really, really hard.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 46
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 4:51:31 PM   
tevans

No offense but why do I need to go to Reddit or Twitter if I want to talk about Slitherine/Matrix games? These forums have worked fine for years. Why post a poll to Twitter instead of here on these forums. Doesn't make sense.

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 47
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 5:30:19 PM   
rico21

quote:

ORIGINAL: tevans

No offense but why do I need to go to Reddit or Twitter if I want to talk about Slitherine/Matrix games? These forums have worked fine for years. Why post a poll to Twitter instead of here on these forums. Doesn't make sense.

+1

(in reply to tevans)
Post #: 48
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 5:38:21 PM   
Zovs

I'll have nothing to do with Fakebook, Twatter or any of the other online security compromised, borg infested privacy sellers of data that specialize in censorship and greed.

FB and Twit can piss off and I am glad they are out $55 billion I hope they go broke and their servers melt.

The only good thing Fakebook ever provided me was to find out my ex-wife was cheating on me and had the grounds to divorce her.

No thanks

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 49
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 6:04:04 PM   
ThomasJay

quote:

ORIGINAL: tevans

+2

(in reply to tevans)
Post #: 50
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 6:14:17 PM   
76mm

quote:

hmm, I don't think so. Not saying these reports did not exist at all. Just buried below a huge pile of "this is a flu, pack of lies, exaggeration etc etc etc" official reports.

Well, all I can say is that I'm not on twitter but look at my google news feed a couple of times a day, without any focus on, or even interest in, medical topics, and I was well aware of covid by mid-January at the latest, and I think more likely by late December. It was very well covered by reputable news organizations from the very beginning, as are most topics that are of interest to me. Twitter, on the other hand, as far as I'm concerned is little more than a firehose of fake, unverified, and exaggerated news.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 1/15/2021 6:15:26 PM >

Post #: 51
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 6:44:57 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Twitter, on the other hand, as far as I'm concerned is little more than a firehose of fake, unverified, and exaggerated news.

So let's see. Adam Tooze (a scholar) tweets something about an article he found in some *specialized* magazine, which he is sharing... you're saying that's fake? You're exaggerating here. The whole point is *who* is tweeting. They are gathering information that might (or not) be useful to you. If you had to do this whole gathering job... it would be a part time job

re the many freakshows using that platform, I don't care as I'm not interested about them.

As far as I know (I don't buy conspiracies) only by the mid or end of january the Chinese realized this might be a once-in-a-century pandemic Before that moment (early january, december), this was some sort of pneumonia...

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 52
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 7:18:34 PM   
Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Polls.
Inasmuch as we are talking about a wargaming poll... Twitter is about as far away from a relevant source as I can imagine.

We wargamers are a long-winded variety. Twitter is the opposite.
Why not pick a more logical location BGG.
Why not something like Reddit.

WHY NOT HERE?
If I was a game developer, the LAST place I'm picking is Twitter.
I might pick Steam, even if Steam is rife with bias. I might pick GoG, at least they are a massive gamer draw.
I'm picking gaming sites.

Not Twitter.

In fact, you're making yourself irrelevant. Instead of creating an account and voicing your opinion, the folks here demand that the Slitherine staff grovel in front of them and beseech them for their opinion. What really happens is that your voice won't be heard, and perhaps Matrix Games/Slitherine will finally realise that there are big markets outside the grognard circles...or nothing at all happens as it just one poll amongst many.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 53
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 8:03:49 PM   
gamer78

quote:

Well, all I can say is that I'm not on twitter but look at my google news feed a couple of times a day, without any focus on, or even interest in, medical topics, and I was well aware of covid by mid-January at the latest, and I think more likely by late December. It was very well covered by reputable news organizations from the very beginning, as are most topics that are of interest to me. Twitter, on the other hand, as far as I'm concerned is little more than a firehose of fake, unverified, and exaggerated news.

National TV and newspaper news could be a bit more reliable source for info for more democractic -neo liberal- regimes but not the case for most countries unfortunately. Strong authority and the State most important. Social media is not to blame.

Anyway what was the poll result? Many world conflicts still lacking I believe in wargaming.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 54
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 8:47:33 PM   
Lobster

quote:

I was stocked up and ready to hide in February without twitter. Wasn't hard to figure out just by watching the news.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Post #: 55
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 8:58:52 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri
creating an account

What you really mean is creating yet ANOTHER account. It's not simply an account. Everyone wants me to register every bloody place I go. I am completely fed up with having to have a million accounts. Oh, just sign up. I signed up for this forum. I start at General Discussion and Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix because that's where I expect to find information regarding what's happening. But nope. Wrong. Now I have to go to someplace off site. Not happening. No more accounts.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 56
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 9:11:27 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
I was stocked up and ready to hide in February without twitter. Wasn't hard to figure out just by watching the news.

In february only China and Iran faced the crisis. So you chose to believe what was going on there... Good for you (and me), because the medias that dozens of millions watch were selling another message

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 57
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 9:18:36 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

In february only China and Iran faced the crisis. So you chose to believe what was going on there... Good for you (and me), because the medias that dozens of millions watch were selling another message

This forum is not twitter and this is what we had here the end of January: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4757221

Post #: 58
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/15/2021 11:57:01 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

quote:

quote:

This forum is not twitter and this is what we had here the end of January: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4757221

I think there were c.500 pages of Covid discussion in the WitP forums which made it up to July before things deteriorated to the point the discussion had to be locked. Those discussions were almost entirely well informed and reasonable on the face of it. That said reading back on those threads I think it is fair to say that very few posters (if any) could claim to have accurately predicted the subsequent course and consequences of the pandemic. In terms of the mainstream media and also in terms of the 'non-traditional' sources of information available online I'd say that the thread illustrated how the current 'Information Age' can be both a blessing and a curse. We have huge amounts of competing information and comment at our fingertips. But the other side of the coin to that is the trap of getting bogged down in debating 'the trees' of all of that competing information and losing sight of 'the wood' that is the over-arching situation.

In terms of Twitter specifically I think it is what you make of it. If you are diligent in 'curating' the accounts you follow and your experience in general there is some great stuff on there. If you succumb to the temptation of following the contrarians (on either side of various debates) or make a habit of opening up the comments to 'sensible' tweets then you'll be flooded by poison, trolling and misinformation.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 59
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 1:03:45 AM   
springel

Twitter is great to keep up to date in a self-constructed collection of topics.

I subscribe to a number of archaeology organisations so I get a notice when something obscure from the Early Middle Ages has been found in some muddy village. I like that.

I subscribe to several sources in my local area, so I hear rumours about what is going on, but I can skip the boring politics from the regular media.

I subscribe to a good journalist specialized in energy and China.

I subscribe to Slitherine to hear their news.

All in an easily browsable list that I enjoy much more that I used to enjoy a newspaper with my morning coffee.
Headlines and a picture, with a link to further details.

I dump everybody who tweets too much. I don't need comments on things that everybody is talking about, I want original content. And you can get that on Twitter.

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Slitherine poll Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI