Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 1:13:12 AM   
Galaxy227

A bit of an abstract concept, but since you brought it up I'll take a jab at unraveling it all. First, consider function and form to be as dependent on each other as our mind and body, yet equally as distinct when contrasted; two different pieces of the same puzzle, if you will. My psychotic mind should restrict me from the luxuries of a working body. My unhealthy body should soon prevent me from ever utilizing my sharp mind. Each cannot perform without the other, yet clearly differ in the roles they fulfill.

It is okay for me to talk about my grievances pertaining to DW2's form without directly attacking its function. I only mentioned function to separate it from the topic of this thread: form. Although both are dependent on each other, they most certainly exist as individual concepts. This thread just so happens to address only one of them.

I'll refrain from dabbling with petty remarks in the future. Again, my purpose in this thread is only to discuss the appearance of DW2's interface.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 1/30/2021 1:19:00 AM >

(in reply to Latisrof)
Post #: 31
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 1:55:28 AM   
Latisrof

Listen, I understand there is a difference between function and form, though I wouldn't go so far as to categorize them as discretely different. The design choices a developer will make won't just impact it's prettiness but it's convenience as well. When I was responding to your other post's my criticism's revolved around this subject, my point was to display that preferential treatment of "form" will have it's cost's, and the dev's know this as by using a little foresight - most of the improvement's on your UI could be found within the original DW2 UI.

Now DW2 UI isn't perfect it's kinda brutalisticly boxy in fact, but the fundamental's are all there, and just look at their design, it's just yours with a more clever use of transparency, balancing clearness with bold information separators. Anyhow, my own opinion is that functionality and form are interdependent, because the HUD isn't the mona lisa it's an information display.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 32
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 2:00:15 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Latisrof

Listen, I understand there is a difference between function and form, though I wouldn't go so far as to categorize them as discretely different. The design choices a developer will make won't just impact it's prettiness but it's convenience as well. When I was responding to your other post's my criticism's revolved around this subject, my point was to display that preferential treatment of "form" will have it's cost's, and the dev's know this as by using a little foresight - most of the improvement's on your UI could be found within the original DW2 UI.

Now DW2 UI isn't perfect it's kinda brutalisticly boxy in fact, but the fundamental's are all there, and just look at their design, it's just yours with a more clever use of transparency, balancing clearness with bold information separators. Anyhow, my own opinion is that functionality and form are interdependent, because the HUD isn't the mona lisa it's an information display.

You are just wrong... presentation and function is not the same in this context. You can keep the UI function in the same way but change the presentation to be radically different.

We are only discussing the presentation or as said its form.

It is true you need both function and form to get a fully workable interface in it's entirety.

You are just marking the words on what the word "function" mean for you and that don't really bring much to the discussion in my opinion.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/30/2021 2:01:10 AM >

(in reply to Latisrof)
Post #: 33
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 2:09:08 AM   
satoru

It seems pretty disingenous to compare a highly compressed artifacted jpeg as the original. All you really did was change the contrast of the font and made it blindingly white which you have somehow taken to think is 'better'.

(in reply to Latisrof)
Post #: 34
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 2:19:55 AM   
Galaxy227

I hear you out on the resolution of the image, satoru. It was difficult to get a clear screenshot over the stream, this was the best I could do.

I'll have to sternly disagree with you on your second remark however. I edited the photo over a period of six hours, and to say the least did a lot more than "change the contrast." Anything more than a quick glance would have you realize as much. It's okay to dislike my design, this thread is geared towards constructive criticism after all, but to outright call it lazy is a deplorable statement.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 1/30/2021 3:12:58 AM >

(in reply to satoru)
Post #: 35
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 2:24:18 AM   
Latisrof

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Latisrof

You are just wrong... presentation and function is not the same in this context. You can keep the UI function in the same way but change the presentation to be radically different.

We are only discussing the presentation or as said its form.

It is true you need both function and form to get a fully workable interface in it's entirety.

You are just marking the words on what the word "function" mean for you and that don't really bring much to the discussion in my opinion.

>You are just marking the words on what the word "function" mean for you and that don't really bring much to the discussion in my opinion.

This is probably where we are having our misunderstanding, because this is not true, there are some purely cosmetic design choices that will not effect functionality - but others will. (Example: Black Text on a Black background)

My point is simple, cosmetic design choices will directly effect the functionality of the intended outcome. ie. if you intend to make UI readable in a space game don't use black text on a transparent background. "because it won't be readable!"

Regarding the ES2 UI form, transparency is good! With moderation... you don't want to make thing's so transparent and thinly bordered, that it becomes difficult to separate information clearly. Boldness, and dark color's become useful in this case!

I hope my response cleared some things up.

< Message edited by Latisrof -- 1/30/2021 2:25:23 AM >

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 36
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 2:28:56 AM   
Whiskiz

Nicely done starting with separating function and form.

The function of the new UI is great.

Some of the form looks nice and updated.

The rest and overall theme is a dull, somewhat blurry grey and black.

quote:

It pains me to admit, but should not take you by surprise, that Erik, Elliot, and the rest of the developers of the Distant Worlds series are not the most "interface-savvy."

I feel this too, that Eric god bless his soul haha is an oldschool game dev, having grown up with oldschool game design - hence the outdated black and white oldschool UI design.

No-one around him is specifically going to say no that looks terrible/dull/outdated - The in-house testers are going to be a veritable group of yes-men and other oldschool devs. No offence.

This is my fresh, relatively non repeated take on it. These are the issues as i see them and ideas to solve them:

1 - Is that Eric isn't keen on "vibrant" or "colorful" UI overall as it distracts from the gameplay, which is fair.

The thing is, is that it doesn't have to necessarily be bright and vibrant for the overall theme (unlike say nice and colorful special icons specifically, like the resources are currently done) I kind of previously misspoke also.

You can have a dark blue background, a dark brown background, dark green in fact any color - while still a dark background. But a grey and black background? Is that really what you want to outline all the amazing eye-candy in this awesome reimagining of Distant Worlds? Something straight out of a 1900s black and white TV show

Those big menus you've opened on the side of the screen, haven't you opened those big boring grey menus to read the information on them? For them to not blend in? Can't you just close those menus when you're no longer wanting to focus on them?

2 - On the other hand it's fair to say the revised version above is a great attempt and all, makes for better readability but is definitely too bright, a bit overbearing and a bit soulless.

This, is where details like background texturing and color shading come into play.

You want to go without the detail and just have dark, unobtrusive but still updated UI? Then something like this:

https://imgur.com/smmtafS

Otherwise here's an example of still mostly dark, mature and unobtrusive - but with some color blending/shading for added depth:

https://imgur.com/PbGNlBo

I feel the buttons below that character portrait may be a bit bright and overall it can be made a little darker to taste - but this is still miles ahead of the current intention.

Notice how the window color - the overall theme is neither green nor black, but a mixture of both to provide an extra layer of depth - That extra layer of depth that has lovingly been given to the rest of the graphics but is missing from the UI!

That, is the real issue we have at the end of the day.

3 - Eric Doesn't want to do this and doesn't want to do that, because other people have done this and have done that and have done it in that color.

To that i'd say don't be a hipster about your project to the detriment of it

Space games have been done before too. Ships having shields armor and hull. Collecting resources. Building stations on planets. Having colonies.

Everything has been done before. You're allowed to happen to have a similar design to something else - as long it isn't an exact carbon copy and was done your own way.

Use your own specific color, your own specific darkness/brightness, shading, background texturing (if any) - but don't use no color no shading no nothing and not do it altogether because others have. Others have also done nice 3D graphics too, should you then stick to DW1 2D pixelated ship graphics?

At the end of the day there are 2 ways to look at it:

Gee, some people are really fanatics and going overboard about this.

Gee, maybe getting the look of the UI right has a much bigger impact than we're aware of and is really not there currently.

EDIT: Would just like to add though that by now we've said our piece, there's no use hearing the same voices over and over on the subject, Eric said he's received the feedback and it'll be good to see what others think.

What's that saying you can lead a horse to water...

Just remember that all we want is the game to be the best it can be and not have any one part let it down!

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/31/2021 2:31:03 AM >

(in reply to Latisrof)
Post #: 37
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 4:30:45 AM   
Erik Rutins

I've heard everyone's feedback on this and we'll be discussing it. Probably worth adding though that a UI artist/designer as well as our Art Director helped set the look and color choices for the UI. While it's true that I may be "old school", ultimately when it comes to choices between one dark and unobtrusive color or another, like much of art it tends to be somewhat subjective.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 38
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 4:50:17 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Most of this debate will be moot if we can choose our own UI colors and maybe choice of font. Especially if its open for modding and a graphical UI.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 39
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 8:02:46 AM   
Sild

I mean, PDX games UI is just PDX games UI.its the same thing adapted to every game. The exception would be CK3 where they changed thing up a bit and still got pretty hatsh feedback on the UI. And it's not even bad, was also transparent. It's supposed to relay a board game look and feel. Which is far from how DW works and feels like.

As for whether it's black background with gray contours or green background with blue contours that's just a very minor thing and can most likely be modded fairly easily. As long as the design is somewhat minimalistic and discreet, the rest is just flavor with no major implications, at least it should be as far as player or potential player decision making goes.

< Message edited by Sild -- 1/30/2021 8:09:11 AM >

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 40
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 9:54:21 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

My main issue is that the design don't blend in well... if we look at all the other more modern UI like Stellaris and ES2 you see a clear pattern in how the menus look. You can have the menu item itself being relatively opaque while boxes or rows of text have a slightly darker opaque background, this work really well from both a readability and still becoming subtle and not distracting. The opaque in the menu will let the menus blend very carefully into ANY background you hover over be it bright or dark and still leave all the text immediately readable.

I have no issue with the colour choices what so ever, to me that is not important as long as they are not bright and vibrant, that is awful. Some icons or images can be brights and vibrant if you want to focus on them, that is OK.

I also would emphasis more symbols/pictures and less text if possible as much as possible, it will save both space and is quicker for the eye and mind to get the important information. I also would give all resources a distinct feeling depending on what group they belong too... put them into an opaque box with a special muted colour based on its type. Say yellow for luxury, white for common, blue for strategic and so on... the more information we can glean from an instant the better the UI will feel too.
Ship hull and type for example, give each one a symbol... this will save both space and will be easier for the player to see. Again you have have a specific opaque background to differentiate specific ship types say military, civilian, or construction ships. It also save allot of space in menus as all ship designs need the same space in the lists. You can still have the ship type and name available when you click on them. Even if the symbol is just a two or three letters it would be better this way as the combination of the symbol and colour tell you soo much more in a glance.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/30/2021 10:01:49 AM >

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 41
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 10:26:59 AM   
Miletkir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

While it's true that I may be "old school"

I'm old school too, or I wouldn't have posted a screenshot of SW Rebellion

Amidst all the conceptual disagreement, my reading is that there is a consensus on improving at least the contrast for readability in the new UI.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

It's nearly impossible to measure the functionality of DW2's interface to any meaningful extent until we can get our hands on the game ourselves.

Yes and no. We already know all characters will be under the diplomacy tab, and IMHO that logic deserves reconsideration.

Post #: 42
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 10:32:24 AM   
arvcran2

I am not an expert with UI, but is the UI and text not all rendered as a semi transparent layer?

If so, this would explain the lack of crispness.

Perhaps all that is needed is a dimmer switch on the transparency scale?

Depending on what one wants to focus on, the galaxy and it's contents V the user's interface:
Concept: when the cursor or keyboard focus is directed to the interface perhaps it could render less transparent and more highlighted?

Any text has to be made legible by properly presenting font on background, the background being preferably plain and adequately contrasted.

My humble thoughts.

(in reply to Latisrof)
Post #: 43
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 1:50:30 PM   
RogerBacon

When it comes to colors let us remember that one in 9 males has some degree of red-green color deficiency.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to arvcran2)
Post #: 44
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 1:53:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miletkir
Yes and no. We already know all characters will be under the diplomacy tab, and IMHO that logic deserves reconsideration.

Well, I guess I need to add a disclaimer. Keep in mind I was showing a late Alpha build, about to go to Beta. Nothing is really final until we get to release and we expected that beta feedback on the UI would result in iterations and possibly reorganization. The UI improved over the course of every DW1 beta process.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 45
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 1:53:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
When it comes to colors let us remember that one in 9 males has some degree of red-green color deficiency.

Yes, we're planning to address that as well in one of the options.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 46
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 3:17:50 PM   
Miletkir

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miletkir

Well, I guess I need to add a disclaimer. Keep in mind I was showing a late Alpha build, about to go to Beta. Nothing is really final until we get to release and we expected that beta feedback on the UI would result in iterations and possibly reorganization. The UI improved over the course of every DW1 beta process.

Regards,

- Erik

I did mean to discuss it as feedback before the full initial release. I just expected that what we saw during the "reveal" stream was going to be pretty much the same as the first beta version. Although by virtue of the disclaimer I suppose we might not know before said release

Post #: 47
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 6:21:58 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Yes, we're planning to address that as well in one of the options.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

Post #: 48
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/30/2021 6:49:41 PM   
zebanovich

I really don't like flat interfaces, maybe I got it wrong but your screenshot (@Galaxy227) seems to imply very flat UI.

Flat UI came into fashion due to touch screen monitors such as mobile phones and cash registers, flat UI makes a lot of sense for touch screen but I don't think it fits well into PC game.
(regardless if Microsoft makes their Windows UI look like phone, joke lol..)

Why not?
Because it makes gaming harder (not related to 4x games), ex. a color of an UI element can't be similar to it's surrounding form because it's harder for your eye to detect it,
also for flat UI it's harder to represent clickable area.
This is probably less of an issue for turn based games since we have plenty of time each turn but it's still an issue for some people.

Mouse input as opposed to finger press, implies something is clicked as opposed to something is touched, since mouse cursor is much smaller than your finger,
more of the clickable UI will be visible and as such must provide better visual feedback (touchable screen is mostly covered by finger and/or persons hand so visual feedback is less visible/important)

In this game most of the time the player will be clicking around UI with mouse, which means a visual feedback is desired much more that what is the case with touch screen/flat UI,
touch screens/flat UI usually label buttons with letters and numbers and there is no need for fancy visual feedback because you are not supposed to
push your finger trough monitor but just touch it instead (that's the reason for existence of flat UI).

Of course something in between can exist or various varieties, such as semi flat UI which is the case with original DW2 screenshot.
The only question is "how much" UI buttons are pushable and how does visual feedbak feels, for this we obviously need to try it out to comment.

< Message edited by zebanovich -- 1/30/2021 6:51:28 PM >

(in reply to Latisrof)
Post #: 49
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 12:59:56 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

I've heard everyone's feedback on this and we'll be discussing it. Probably worth adding though that a UI artist/designer as well as our Art Director helped set the look and color choices for the UI. While it's true that I may be "old school", ultimately when it comes to choices between one dark and unobtrusive color or another, like much of art it tends to be somewhat subjective.

Thank you Erik for taking the time to hear out the community. I know at times it can be difficult to receive negative feedback, considering you've poured your heart and soul into Distant Worlds 2. I want to apologize if I came off as rude in any of my previous comments, that was not my intention.

I love Distant Worlds as much as the next guy, and truthfully only wish for it to succeed. Had this not been the case, I wouldn't have invested the time I did to present you what I personally thought was an improvement to DW2's interface. I digress, the "form" of an interface is a highly subjective preference, and by no means do I suggest that my rendition specifically is what DW2 needs to be (obviously I'd prefer, but that's why it's subjective ). Regardless, and this is an objective statement, when almost every 4X/strategy forum has at some point hounded DW's user interface, and the biggest factor towards convincing people not to buy is the interface, one can safely say there is something deeply, fundamentally wrong with either the function or form of said interface. I can say the interface in DW:U was the most detrimental factor towards the game's success, and am baffled DW2 imitates the "form" of DW:U's UI so closely. Sure, functionally speaking, I'm extremely happy with how DW2's UI is looking so far. Aesthetically however, a healthy majority would agree there's most certainly room for improvement.

Enough rambling though. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but it is all to better Distant Worlds 2. Thank you again for your attention Erik. With each day closer to release you make this world a more tolerable place for me.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 1/31/2021 2:09:46 AM >

Post #: 50
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 1:45:31 AM   
Galaxy227

Absolutely zebanovich, my rendition of the interface lacks "visual depth," to quote what Sild said at the beginning of this thread.

This is not as hugely difficult of an issue to tackle as you first seem to suggest, however. Again, the aesthetic of my interface was borrowed from Endless Space 2, a science fiction 4X/strategy game most widely praised for its simplistic and intuitive user interface. I do not believe ES2 suffers from what you've essentially dubbed as "flat UI for touch screen applications." I will admit that mine does at first glance, but only because I hadn't dedicated the proper time and care to flesh out the interface to its fullest. It would be fairly straightforward to add a sense of "depth," only requiring a few careful changes to create such an illusion. Allow me to explain this theoretical improvement of my original rendition, if you will.

Firstly, I'd work to lift the interactive buttons and toggles above their transparent backdrop by shading their most external edges, bringing them to the forefront of the user interface. In doing so, I've essentially created the illusion of two separate layers: a background and foreground.
Secondly, I might dabble with adding a smooth gradient across the transparent background of the interface in an effort to mimic a light source. This gradient would most likely transition from an alpha channel to a soft white with low opacity. In doing so, the backdrop would be given a sense of texture akin to glass, effectively lessening its flat, paper-like appearance. It is no longer simply transparent with added blur, but also translucent.
Thirdly, I would work to create the illusion of a third layer of depth, positioned between the background and foreground. This layer would remain largely untouched, aside from soft gradients or light shadowing, in an effort to make it appear "lower" than the foreground of buttons, yet still "higher" than the background of the UI. This third layer would consist of text, dividers & lines that work to separate and organize parts of the interface, and any other odd bits and pieces that the user won't be directly interacting with. This layer should rightfully appear "higher" than the background, yet still "lower" than the buttons, toggles, and such.

There might be a few more changes I could make to add a sense of depth, but ultimately it would come down to playing with various editing tools. Point being, it is most definitely possible to have depth in an interface akin to my rendition, and mine only lacked it because I was eager to share it with everyone on the Matrix Forums.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 1/31/2021 2:18:41 AM >

(in reply to zebanovich)
Post #: 51
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 1:56:55 PM   
Miletkir

I am not a UI designer or as talented as Galaxy227, but for the sake of playing around and proposing different ideas:

I only touched the "planetary fighter base" box and the planet info panel (which is the one that needs the most work IMHO). This is a more "old school" take on it, but I think it's a bit cleaner and more readable, while also having its own style. I also tried to keep it relatively unobtrusive. Some Homeworld inspiration...

The original picture is here.

< Message edited by Miletkir -- 1/31/2021 2:06:13 PM >

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 52
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 2:50:19 PM   
Miletkir

For a less aggressive version:

And for one that stays true to the original palette:

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 53
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 4:09:09 PM   
Sild

Speaking of, the selection rings, especially the ones around planets could use some love. They look too coarse and rough, particularly when zoomed in.

< Message edited by Sild -- 1/31/2021 4:10:17 PM >

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 54
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 4:47:44 PM   
ASHBERY76

The mock up looks much better.

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 55
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 4:56:16 PM   
Solaristics

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

I was not the only one who didn't feel completely satisfied with the new interface for DW2. I noticed people began commenting on how it appeared throughout the forums and other places around the internet. Some were constructive, others were flat-out rude, but all shared a common theme: it didn't look attractive. It was ugly, they said, and unfortunately I couldn't agree more.

+1. I was hoping for better form too but perhaps since it’s alpha it might get polished by release. I also want to be convinced by how functional it is at managing large amounts of data and making it easy to find what you need when you need it.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 56
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 9:27:23 PM   
Galaxy227

Interesting take on the UI, Miletkir. I do believe I see, based on your previous references to other games and now your own rendition, that you prefer an interface full of color and pizzazz. Although I'm not entirely against such an interface, I do think I'd prefer a more minimalistic, unobtrusive UI, and I believe Erik said as much in this thread here, quoted directly below:

quote:

I don't personally want the UI too bright or vibrant so that it is noticeable when I don't want to pay attention to it. What's "dull" for you is personally "unobtrusive" for me.

My rendition attempted to preserve Erik's more fundamental preferences, such as color themes and discreteness, while still propelling the UI into something more reminiscent of the twenty-first century.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 1/31/2021 10:42:04 PM >

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 57
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 10:59:12 PM   
Miletkir

Who doesn't like pizzazz?

More seriously, yes, my preference is for a more integrated UI, one that goes hand in hand with the feeling of the game and has its own immersive style (like other aspects of games...). My examples may be too forceful for the DW2 devs' liking, but judging from the current UI, they're not against some decorum either, so I wouldn't posit their choice would be for the minimalisticc. That being said, as far as the planet info panel is concerned, I think it's difficult to make big improvements without using colors or at least tones, given how much information is packed in there.

And what's more recent is not necessarily better. Perhaps even more so when it comes to the 21st century...

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 58
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 1/31/2021 11:28:24 PM   
Galaxy227

Absolutely.

Alas, our disagreement is simply a matter of personal preference, proving any further discussion to be redundant. At this point, it's up to Erik and the rest the development team to decide on what changes will be brought about, if any at all.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 1/31/2021 11:29:16 PM >

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 59
RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface - 2/10/2021 2:07:31 AM   
wetpig

The font in your UI concept is certainly easier to read at a glance, with some embellishment your UI would be spot on IMO

Edit, as much as im not a fan of Windows 10 UI in general, for a game as complex as distant worlds,I would much prefer a somewhat soulless but effortlessly readable UI than a work of art that was difficult to garner information from. Of course balance is the key here.

< Message edited by wetpig -- 2/10/2021 2:09:42 AM >

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2: Let's talk about the User Interface Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI