Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/1/2021 2:41:55 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Very nice!

Thanks!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 661
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/1/2021 2:49:41 AM   
DesertWolf101

What will Andy do?

With Siberian Winter about to be launched in a matter of weeks, what will Andy do in the rest of the map? He knows the bulk of my forces, especially land forces, will be occupied in the Soviet Union and India. If I was Andy I would take this opportunity to strike even if his carrier fleet is much diminished (I got intel confirmation that the Saratoga also went down in the Tahiti carrier battle). If he does choose to strike, he would have to carefully select an area where he can act in while minimizing the threat to his invasion forces. My gut feeling, supported to a degree by the direction of radio traffic, is that he will try to land forces in the Java/Sumatra area. Very excited to see what comes next in the following months.

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 662
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/1/2021 3:44:26 PM   
DesertWolf101

Battle of Surat - September 11, 1942

I finally found my Indian battle at Surat. Confident behind high forts and his growing strength in the subcontinent, Andy did not retreat his forces once he detected my army approaching but instead reinforced his defense. I chose the point of advance carefully however, with the coastal hex allowing me full use of my naval superiority. Battleship and heavy cruiser tasks forces tore huge chunks off his line with their heavy shells, allowing my elite troops the opportunity to take the base in only two attacks.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 663
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/2/2021 11:41:21 PM   
PaxMondo

Ouch! That really ripped up those allied forces ....

Pax

Post #: 664
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 4:24:35 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Ouch! That really ripped up those allied forces ....

It did, and I am certainly pleased with the result. I will attempt to maintain the pressure in India but there really is not much territory left before I reach the emergency reinforcement line (which I don't want to cross) so I have to be careful here.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 665
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 4:51:00 AM   
DesertWolf101

Operation Siberian Winter - The Air Plan

There are only some two weeks left before the invasion kicks off and the organized chaos that is the preparation is finally starting to come to fruition. Forces across the front are reaching their positions and it won't be long before the march across the border begins. I will try to synchronize those orders to have all the troops cross the border at the same time but will probably bungle one or two up. In any case, I wanted to outline a brief summary of my plan for the air war.

My bomber force is entirely composed of armored Helen variants and Sally types. No light bombers will be used on this front given their fragility and the danger involved. The IJNAF bomber force will also not be involved. 150 Helen bombers and 200 Sally bombers are available with a combined replacement rate of 100 bombers per month to make up for the losses. I believe Andy will have a significantly larger starting bomber force but few replacements, so the total bomber strength should gradually shift to my side over time.

In terms of fighters, I have had to curtail my fighter training program to put units on Home Defense duties in the Home Islands and in Manchuria in order to supplement my AA guns in protecting my industry and air bases from his bomber units. Hopefully they will learn a bit on the job and I can transition the units back exclusively to training as the threat diminishes. For these duties, I lean heavily on Nates in Manchuria and Claudes in Japan but with a healthy mix of Oscar and Zero fighters to defend the more critical sites. Practically all the Nates/Claudes will be beyond the range of his fighters - I don't want to give him easy kills.

In terms of the frontline fighters, I have 120 A6M3a, 120 Oscars, 160 Tojos, and 90 Nick fighter bombers. That is about 500 fighter types for offensive duties and if you count the fighters on defense oriented duties outlined above that brings the combined total to about more than a 1,000 with replacements readily available.

I am also not skimping on ASW duty. Hundreds of light bombers and medium bombers of all types are stationed in strategic locations around the home islands and in Sakhalin, supported by Jake search planes, with the sole purpose to reduce the Soviet sub threat. We shall see if that works.

My overall priorities in the air (from most to least crucial) are as follows:
- Protect the Japanese economy by effectively defending against his bombers and submarines.
- Provide effective air support to the advancing Japanese armies.
- Neutralize his air force through sweeps and the targeting of his air bases.
- As the balance in the air improves in my favor, target his industry and supply depots.

Post #: 666
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 12:56:54 PM   
DesertWolf101

The Score Before Winter

Attachment (1)

Post #: 667
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 2:23:41 PM   
Runnersan

How many squadrons do you use to train naval fighter pilots? I always had problem with replacement for killed pilots. Lots of planes ready, but without pilots.

Post #: 668
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 2:52:40 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: runnersan

How many squadrons do you use to train naval fighter pilots? I always had problem with replacement for killed pilots. Lots of planes ready, but without pilots.

Before the last month when everything had to be re-organized to get ready for the USSR invasion, I had about half a dozen navy fighter squadrons on training and these were supplemented by another half a dozen float plane units for fighter training once I got enough good ASW and search pilots from them.

(in reply to Runnersan)
Post #: 669
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 3:23:00 PM   
Runnersan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: runnersan

Before the last month when everything had to be re-organized to get ready for the USSR invasion, I had about half a dozen navy fighter squadrons on training and these were supplemented by another half a dozen float plane units for fighter training once I got enough good ASW and search pilots from them.

quote:

lf a dozen navy fighter squadrons on training and these were supplemented by another half a dozen float plane units for fighter training once I got enough good ASW and search pilots from them.

Rufe will train fighter pilots, but I always thought that Jake or other FP are training patrol pilots.

Post #: 670
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 5:52:42 PM   
DesertWolf101

Even non-Rufe float planes like the Jake can train fighter pilots (train them for sweep).

(in reply to Runnersan)
Post #: 671
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 9:37:37 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

Even non-Rufe float planes like the Jake can train fighter pilots (train them for sweep).

I believe in the intended game setting you would have paid 10 XP for this opportunity. -5 for entering a fighter pilot into a patrol group, and another -5 when exiting into a fighter group after being trained. In the current game version you can circumvent the XP loss by moving pilots in bulk using "release 1/5/10" buttons. It is up to you to decide if this feature is OK to use (there is no correct answer here).

Post #: 672
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 10:37:45 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

I believe in the intended game setting you would have paid 10 XP for this opportunity. -5 for entering a fighter pilot into a patrol group, and another -5 when exiting into a fighter group after being trained. In the current game version you can circumvent the XP loss by moving pilots in bulk using "release 1/5/10" buttons. It is up to you to decide if this feature is OK to use (there is no correct answer here).

Interesting, I did not know that. In fact I wasn't even aware that pilots lose XP when moved from their primary role. Good to note, thanks!

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 2/3/2021 10:39:08 PM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 673
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 10:38:00 PM   
DesertWolf101

September 18, 1942

The first Imperial troops have been given the order to commence marching. These are the ones in difficult terrain that will take time to cross the border. Other units will be given the order over the next few days depending on their terrain circumstances. Estimated crossing time is in ten days.

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 2/3/2021 11:41:25 PM >

Post #: 674
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/3/2021 11:55:19 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

In fact I wasn't even aware that pilots lose XP when moved from their primary role. Good to note, thanks!

Kull summed all the possibilities here in post 67 btw: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3847055&mpage=3

A minor correction, it's not -5 XP set penalty for transferring into a different plane type but a random -xp with average around -5. And I recall that transfers from TRACOM are treated differently than from reserve or other units, don't have a game to check first hand right now.

Post #: 675
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/4/2021 1:05:10 AM   
RADM.Yamaguchi

quote:

quote:

In fact I wasn't even aware that pilots lose XP when moved from their primary role. Good to note, thanks!

Kull summed all the possibilities here in post 67 btw: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3847055&mpage=3

A minor correction, it's not -5 XP set penalty for transferring into a different plane type but a random -xp with average around -5. And I recall that transfers from TRACOM are treated differently than from reserve or other units, don't have a game to check first hand right now.

I had no idea about this entire issue. I've always used request veteran and then release pilots. I didn't know there was any other way to do it. I'm so confused.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 676
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/4/2021 10:59:32 PM   
DesertWolf101

And We Are Off! - September 24, 1942

What looked to be like a perfectly synchronized arrival of my forces in the USSR was suddenly torn asunder by the accidental unloading of a small paratrooper unit in the middle of nowhere on Kamchatka. Oh well, we live and die by our decisions and the invasion will now happen a full five days before I wanted it to.

Given my advanced preparations, this in itself is not necessarily catastrophic but it could be quite bad in some places. The greatest issue is that it provides Andy with enough days to transport his forces (of which I am sure a number of them where likely already packed up for rail movement) pretty much wherever he pleases along the frontline. So again not necessarily catastrophic, but potentially really dicey for me....

(in reply to RADM.Yamaguchi)
Post #: 677
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/4/2021 11:37:58 PM   
Evoken

Good luck!

Post #: 678
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 12:16:12 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

And We Are Off! - September 24, 1942

Attachment (1)

Post #: 679
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 3:32:33 AM   
DesertWolf101

Haha thanks guys - the red and black colors in particular seem quite apt for what lies ahead.

Andy was very generous and offered to redo the turn but I refused. I don't think it's fair to him and I am inherently opposed to mulligans in games. What I might do instead is ask for a two turn grace on not moving Soviet ground troops just to allow enough time for some Japanese forces to cross the border on a rushed basis. None of these troop crossings will be in the critical areas near the rail and this is less than the ideal 5 turns that I was planning on but it's something! We shall see. This promises to be bloody good fun.

In the meantime - it looks like the first day will be very active in the air.

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 2/5/2021 3:35:24 AM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 680
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 3:33:59 AM   
DesertWolf101

September 25, 1942 - A day for action in the Air!

As I anticipated, there was a lot of air activity on the first day of the war. I sent in hundreds of fighters on sweeping missions, especially focused on Vladivostok and a couple of other bases, and was by and large met with very heavy resistance. I closely watched the combat replays and noted a couple of points:

1) I am not sure if it is the fact that I have a lot of elite pilots in my planes, but the MiG-3 is significantly less threatening than it would first appear. My expertly crewed Tojos were more than a match for it, and even the Oscar Ic killed one and damaged several others. I am not saying it's worthless by any means and I am sure it could be a serious threat with the right tactics, but it can definitely be dealt with.
2) The I-16 is a tank! Yes that's an exaggeration, but it's durability plus armor often allowed it to take several hits before being destroyed. Certainly significantly more durable than my Zeros or Oscars for instance, and even the Tojos given its armor. The Nick is a different story.
3) The plane that damaged me most in these encounters was actually the I-153. Yes they got badly hit in the initial dives when I had the altitude advantage, but even then their impressive maneuverability often allowed them to evade and they often got their vengeance when the fight gradually descended to low altitudes where they really shined.

There was little bomber action aside from a couple of big Japanese raids on airfields, a massed IL-2 attack on some of my advancing troops, and night raids on oil in Sakhalin by Russian TB-3 bombers to little effect.

At Sea, the Russians sallied out in force with their subs and my ASW air got to work. Val dive-bombers stationed on Sakhalin swooped in on three Russian destroyers that dared to sail out and sent them to the bottom.

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 2/6/2021 6:47:56 AM >

Post #: 681
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 12:43:47 PM   
Evoken

I know its not your style but i would like to see some combat reports and screenshots if you dont mind , Soviet invasion is interesting :)

Post #: 682
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 12:44:18 PM   
DesertWolf101

Here are the air losses for the first day to go with the description on the post above.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 683
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 12:45:34 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

I know its not your style but i would like to see some combat reports and screenshots if you dont mind , Soviet invasion is interesting :)

Sure thing, I will try to post some more screenshots a bit later and especially when the ground war heats up.

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 684
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 2:42:07 PM   
DesertWolf101

Vals in Action

Attachment (1)

Post #: 685
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 2:48:27 PM   
DesertWolf101

The War in the Far East

Tsurugui force of nine divisions is holding the line from the sea to the swamps. It is also feinting towards the Soviet lines to give the impression that an assault is coming. It's real task is purely defensive - to hold the front and try to keep as many Soviets in front of it as possible.

Odachi force of ten divisions is crossing the river at various points with the objective of cutting the rail and annihilating the Russian forces around Kuibyshevka. With the unfortunate early trigger of the war this is now in serious doubt as I expect Andy to be able to reinforce here before I am in position.

In Sakhalin, four divisions + of Tanto force are marching to take Alexandrovsk and from there the rest of the island.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 686
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 2:54:30 PM   
DesertWolf101

The War in Mongolia

East of Hailar, Katana force of seven divisions (including two tank) are moving northeast across the river and will either pivot west towards Borzya or head northeast to cut the rail if Odachi force is in trouble.

Two divisions and some support are moving towards Choybalsan as a diversion and to guard against a flank attack on Hailar.

Smaller forces in bragade sized packets are moving to grab the frontier Mongolian bases with China.

Finally, Tachi force of eight divisions is moving from Mangan up the road towards Ulan Bator with the objective of pushing on to the Irkutsk area.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 687
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 3:06:44 PM   
GetAssista

Where do you concentrate your tanks? Suppose it is Central Mongolia with all the plains and roads? How many tank divs you have in the scenario at this moment?

I don't see Soviet airforce in Mongolia, is it because Andy withdrew or because you don't do recon yet?

Post #: 688
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/5/2021 3:11:18 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

Where do you concentrate your tanks? Suppose it is Central Mongolia with all the plains and roads? How many tank divs you have in the scenario at this moment?

I don't see Soviet airforce in Mongolia, is it because Andy withdrew or because you don't do recon yet?

This is stock Scenario 1 so only two tank divisions for me. A third one is a few months away from being formed. The Two tank divisions are with Katana force heading towards Borzya with the fall back plan of going for the rail if, Odachi, the rail cutting force to the east is in trouble.

So far I haven't seen much of Soviet air presence in Mongolia but I anticipate that will change once he sees my concentration of force there.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 689
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/6/2021 6:54:03 AM   
DesertWolf101

September 26, 1942

A Sentai of Tojos caught a gaggle of IL-2s heading towards advancing Japanese troops and knocked out about a dozen of them. The Sturmoviks are really tough though - took a really large number of gun hits to bring them down, so cannon is really quite needed when going up against them. Thus far I have met Andy's Soviet fighters and attack planes, but aside from some TB-3 nights raids on the first day of the campaign I haven't really seen his bombers - where are they?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI